RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Railway strikes
::Off-topic discussion.
Sal Paradise Member for 21 years


Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 18059
Location: On the road
Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:48 am  
This is an interesting dispute and comrade Lynch is a breath of fresh air.

The unions make one good point - the share of profits is out of kilter - you cannot have huge profits and shareholder distribution and then say we can't pay the workers more money.

On the other hand you can't have no compulsary redundancies - effectively saying all workers have a job for life even if that role has been modernised out - that show the union in bad light and gives Boris and his mates ammunition against Labour and their close connection with the unions.

Boris needs a summer of union strikes - it will distract from all his other behavioural mistakes.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
wrencat1873 Member for 12 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 17381
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:11 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
This is an interesting dispute and comrade Lynch is a breath of fresh air.

The unions make one good point - the share of profits is out of kilter - you cannot have huge profits and shareholder distribution and then say we can't pay the workers more money.

On the other hand you can't have no compulsary redundancies - effectively saying all workers have a job for life even if that role has been modernised out - that show the union in bad light and gives Boris and his mates ammunition against Labour and their close connection with the unions.

Boris needs a summer of union strikes - it will distract from all his other behavioural mistakes.


Hi Sal, I thought you'd emigrated !

The current dispute on the railways will be just the first of many strikes through the rest of this year and beyond.
With inflation now at around 10%, for any worker to be expected to survive with no increase in income or a paltry 1.5/ 2% is impossible.
People need to find some additional income from somewhere, either by achieving a reasonable pay rise or, by moving jobs.

The private sector will take care of itself but, the public sector will be the biggest test of "us and them".

Of course, increasing public sector pay could mean increasing taxes, which are already at record levels overall. However, there is no doubt they Johnson and Sunak have been building up a fair old "war chest" so, the increases in taxation could be mitigated.

I think your right about a wave of strikes suiting the Tories more than they suit Labour though, strikes will be used as a stick to beat The Labour party with and it's therefore little wonder that Johnson was suggesting that the "public" get ready for the long haul.
This could rumble on right up until the next General Election.
wotsupcas Member for 9 years
Cheeky half-back



Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 826
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:36 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Hi Sal, I thought you'd emigrated !

The current dispute on the railways will be just the first of many strikes through the rest of this year and beyond.
With inflation now at around 10%, for any worker to be expected to survive with no increase in income or a paltry 1.5/ 2% is impossible.
People need to find some additional income from somewhere, either by achieving a reasonable pay rise or, by moving jobs.

The private sector will take care of itself but, the public sector will be the biggest test of "us and them".

Of course, increasing public sector pay could mean increasing taxes, which are already at record levels overall. However, there is no doubt they Johnson and Sunak have been building up a fair old "war chest" so, the increases in taxation could be mitigated.

I think your right about a wave of strikes suiting the Tories more than they suit Labour though, strikes will be used as a stick to beat The Labour party with and it's therefore little wonder that Johnson was suggesting that the "public" get ready for the long haul.
This could rumble on right up until the next General Election.

I'm in the private sector and I'll have to survive on a 2% increase.
Public sector workers on average are better paid than those in the private, especially in low skilled jobs.
They can also retire earlier and on better pensions. Oh and on average they work fewer hours and have longer holidays.
But apart from that they are really suffering :D
Superblue Member for 12 years
Free-scoring winger


Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 1007
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:10 pm  
Same old tories. Always wasting billions then blaming somebody else and taking from the poor and pandemic key workers :D

£4Bn wasted on PPE
£11Bn wasted servicing debt because Sunak didn't act
£40Bn wasted on track & trace
£10Bn handed to criminals
£6Bn wasted on overheating armoured cars
£100M wasted on tagging criminals

And at the same time removing the cap on fat cats pay :D

Yep levelling up, were all in it together :lol:

Never, ever trust the tory.
Scarlet Pimpernell Member for 9 years
Bronze RLFANS Member



Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 4321
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:36 pm  
wotsupcas wrote:
I'm in the private sector and I'll have to survive on a 2% increase.
Public sector workers on average are better paid than those in the private, especially in low skilled jobs.
They can also retire earlier and on better pensions. Oh and on average they work fewer hours and have longer holidays.
But apart from that they are really suffering :D


I think this is no longer the case because private sector pay was frozen for the last few years . I think your problems are actually more to do with your employer and conditions rather than the sector.
I think you will find that regardless of what de Pfeffel and his colleagues keep stating the vast majority of people are struggling unless you are a pensioner apparently who are due a 10% increase which could be something to do with the fact they are more likely to vote and for de Pfeffel. I wonder if you have tried telling you employer that you are a de Pfeffel voter and must be due more.
wrencat1873 Member for 12 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 17381
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
I think this is no longer the case because private sector pay was frozen for the last few years . I think your problems are actually more to do with your employer and conditions rather than the sector.
I think you will find that regardless of what de Pfeffel and his colleagues keep stating the vast majority of people are struggling unless you are a pensioner apparently who are due a 10% increase which could be something to do with the fact they are more likely to vote and for de Pfeffel. I wonder if you have tried telling you employer that you are a de Pfeffel voter and must be due more.


Yeah, with the public purse supposedly closed, you could be surprised that the pensioners ar in line for an eye watering 10% increase, plus the various other bits of help.
However, when you realise that the vast majority of the blue rinse brigade vote Tory, it all becomes much easier to understand. Cynical move, you bet it is.

As for the private vs public sector, its worth remembering that the public sector have barely come out of their 10 year austerity "pay freeze" so, they are "due" something.
At least you would think so ?
Scarlet Pimpernell Member for 9 years
Bronze RLFANS Member



Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 4321
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:36 pm  
What annoys me is that my wife who is in a union and the private sector has gone on strike along with the other union members. They have been able to obtain a better offer but when they do I have never come across any of the non union members not accepting the improvements.
On a slightly off topic but the two by-elections were set for today by the government, I wonder if this date had anything to do with de Pfeffel leaving the country after all it is not like him.
wotsupcas Member for 9 years
Cheeky half-back



Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 826
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:12 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Yeah, with the public purse supposedly closed, you could be surprised that the pensioners ar in line for an eye watering 10% increase, plus the various other bits of help.
However, when you realise that the vast majority of the blue rinse brigade vote Tory, it all becomes much easier to understand. Cynical move, you bet it is.

As for the private vs public sector, its worth remembering that the public sector have barely come out of their 10 year austerity "pay freeze" so, they are "due" something.
At least you would think so ?

They are "due" no more than anyone else IMO. In my industry the purse strings are are just as tightly closed. However I enjoy my job and anyway at 62 I am too old(lazy) for retraining.
wotsupcas Member for 9 years
Cheeky half-back



Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 826
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
I think this is no longer the case because private sector pay was frozen for the last few years . I think your problems are actually more to do with your employer and conditions rather than the sector.
I think you will find that regardless of what de Pfeffel and his colleagues keep stating the vast majority of people are struggling unless you are a pensioner apparently who are due a 10% increase which could be something to do with the fact they are more likely to vote and for de Pfeffel. I wonder if you have tried telling you employer that you are a de Pfeffel voter and must be due more.

Do you mean public sector pay? If so you are wrong
Superblue Member for 12 years
Free-scoring winger


Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 1007
Re: Railway strikes : Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:33 pm  
wotsupcas wrote:
I'm in the private sector and I'll have to survive on a 2% increase.
Public sector workers on average are better paid than those in the private, especially in low skilled jobs.
They can also retire earlier and on better pensions. Oh and on average they work fewer hours and have longer holidays.
But apart from that they are really suffering :D


Give over :D
White van Brexit man lol

By the time that 2% has been added to £40/hr earnings and paid by the agent into the offshore company account, and then 1/3rd of it transferred back into the U.K. company bank account as UK declared earnings , with expenses and tax fiddled it’s worth 20%, and with no corporation tax or income tax to pay.. :D

Criminals :D
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to The Sin Bin


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
PopTart
906
4m
Home kit23
TonyM19
20
5m
Squad numbers
PopTart
56
8m
Rumours and signings v9
NSW
24905
21m
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
Egg Chasing
19
29m
French domestic league season 2022/2023 thread
Jimmythecuck
27
30m
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
2
39m
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
40m
2023 Kits
Pumpetypump
111
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
42s
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
Egg Chasing
19
47s
Rumours and signings v9
NSW
24905
56s
UK Asylum seekers
chissitt
168
1m
Shares for sale in Trinity
vastman
68
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
35308
1m
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
1m
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
17988
2m
Channel 4
KineticRR
11
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Shaw and Croft
1315trinity
2
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
imwakefieldt
56
TODAY
Football World Cup
SouthStander
2
TODAY
Oh no not again
Riverside Re
3
TODAY
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6173
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2036
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3068
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1847
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1959
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2013
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4765
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2262
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2858
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2756
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2696
England Top Group A With Big W..
2410
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2727
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3431
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2732
RLFANS Match Centre
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
 
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
PopTart
906
4m
Home kit23
TonyM19
20
5m
Squad numbers
PopTart
56
8m
Rumours and signings v9
NSW
24905
21m
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
Egg Chasing
19
29m
French domestic league season 2022/2023 thread
Jimmythecuck
27
30m
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
2
39m
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
40m
2023 Kits
Pumpetypump
111
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
42s
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
Egg Chasing
19
47s
Rumours and signings v9
NSW
24905
56s
UK Asylum seekers
chissitt
168
1m
Shares for sale in Trinity
vastman
68
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
35308
1m
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
1m
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
17988
2m
Channel 4
KineticRR
11
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Shaw and Croft
1315trinity
2
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
imwakefieldt
56
TODAY
Football World Cup
SouthStander
2
TODAY
Oh no not again
Riverside Re
3
TODAY
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6173
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2036
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3068
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1847
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1959
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2013
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4765
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2262
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2858
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2756
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2696
England Top Group A With Big W..
2410
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2727
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3431
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2732


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!