FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

   WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Reach Group Newspapers and the demise of an institution
Sign of the times , I recon the HDM's circulation will be a fraction of what it use to be , Plus it's news is second fiddle to other forms of media platforms now .
Will there be any coverage of the club? What about from a non-club specific reporter such as Matthew Shaw who works for Reach.

What about Hull City - will they still have a club reporter at Hull Live?
B0NES wrote:
Sign of the times , I recon the HDM's circulation will be a fraction of what it use to be , Plus it's news is second fiddle to other forms of media platforms now .


The club should take advantage of this and start to redevelop the FC live part of the website so that it becomes the first port of call for all fans
The club should employ Dan to build it into a daily news FC centre outside of the twitter crap with meaningful and interesting pod casts with fans,players and staff including the Womens and wheelchair players
An extra 500 paying fans for FC live would likely cover the salary plus its a chance to actually make the club money from the website if its marketed correctly and takes off
ComeOnYouUll wrote:
Will there be any coverage of the club? What about from a non-club specific reporter such as Matthew Shaw who works for Reach.

What about Hull City - will they still have a club reporter at Hull Live?


I think that's what will happen, everything will go through Matt Shaw now. Seems like a load of work for 1 man
Could this affect clubs IMG score with the news outlet diminishing some what ? I guess Reach will be behind a number of regional news sources .
B0NES wrote:
Could this affect clubs IMG score with the news outlet diminishing some what ? I guess Reach will be behind a number of regional news sources .


Interesting point. They own many other national and regional titles including The Huddersfield Examiner and Manchester Evening News.
B0NES wrote:
Could this affect clubs IMG score with the news outlet diminishing some what ? I guess Reach will be behind a number of regional news sources .


absolutely spot on for me!!! Of course it will.Its reducing greatly the message spread of our game.

It's almost gratifying to know for the first time ever my initial post on here has been transcribed completely on the Rovers 'secret' message board.

I CAN DIE A HAPPY MAN !! :lol: :lol:

As on here however, they are as worried about it as many of us are, at least.... on the whole. Some say on there, as some FC fans are saying on here, that they never read the mail web site anyway, it's an out of date medium and it won't be missed but who are they kidding??? That's B*llocks!!

Fact is that as an independent news source looking for scoops, sensationalism and internal revelations from our clubs to survive as soon as a rumour breaks they are straight to it. That's so important to all of us!! Indeed as with the guys across the river, who hasn't been been excited, interested, intrigued, worried and even scared at times by what they have revealed in advance and indeed, how often have they been wrong. Not that often, I would hazard a guess, in fact, since Dan and Joe have been writing for it at least??? Very rarely!!

If the Mail coverage disappears as it undoubtably will, we will have to be satisfied with yesterday's news cribbed from social media, from Gwilym and Co. on Humberside or the sanitised rumour controlled version we get from both the Clubs.

Some can write this news outlet off as irrelevant, outmoded and 'yesterday's news' but for me and it appears several more folks at both sides of the river, its a massive blow to the openness and honesty about our clubs that we need as the stakeholders and indeed (although some would deny it is the case) the lifeblood of both our beloved teams.
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
absolutely spot on for me!!! Of course it will.Its reducing greatly the message spread of our game.

It's almost gratifying to know for the first time ever my initial post on here has been transcribed completely on the Rovers 'secret' message board.

I CAN DIE A HAPPY MAN !! :lol: :lol:

As on here however, they are as worried about it as many of us are, at least.... on the whole. Some say on there, as some FC fans are saying on here, that they never read the mail web site anyway, it's an out of date medium and it won't be missed but who are they kidding??? That's B*llocks!!

Fact is that as an independent news source looking for scoops, sensationalism and internal revelations from our clubs to survive as soon as a rumour breaks they are straight to it. That's so important to all of us!! Indeed as with the guys across the river, who hasn't been been excited, interested, intrigued, worried and even scared at times by what they have revealed in advance and indeed, how often have they been wrong. Not that often, I would hazard a guess, in fact, since Dan and Joe have been writing for it at least??? Very rarely!!

If the Mail coverage disappears as it undoubtably will, we will have to be satisfied with yesterday's news cribbed from social media, from Gwilym and Co. on Humberside or the sanitised rumour controlled version we get from both the Clubs.

Some can write this news outlet off as irrelevant, outmoded and 'yesterday's news' but for me and it appears several more folks at both sides of the river, its a massive blow to the openness and honesty about our clubs that we need as the stakeholders and indeed (although some would deny it is the case) the lifeblood of both our beloved teams.


I’m sorry for those that’ll miss it, but there clearly aren’t enough of them. I’m no free market fundamentalist, but Reach is a commercial entity.

Times change - the Rovers board on here used to get a fair few posts. Now it’s a good day if it gets a spammer-scammer selling dodgy passports. This board is still active… but not like when Paul M, Kosh, Jake the Peg et al. were here as well.

People were no doubt sad when the music halls closed - perhaps you were one of them? Just joshing. :wink:
Something new will come along… and then that’ll get old and be replaced in turn.

I’m already prepping for Rovers and Hull becoming Ultimate (frisbee) clubs when the brain injuries thing gets too much to stomach.

There’s a melancholy to seeing a venerable institution fade away - but it (the HDM) has been a shell of what it once was for a while.

It’ll have no direct impact on IMG scores. The indirect impact… it’ll be real, but the focus is on new media for reasons that go beyond just ease of measurement.
One of my favourite ever Xmas presents was an annual subscription to the green Sports Mail paid by my mum every year and sent to me after I left the UK in1966. It lasted right up to when she died in the 90's and took about 10 days to arrive but I read it from cover to cover in both South Africa and Aus.
In my youth I played Union, League and Soccer in Hull and also for a couple of years sent a report of Union Saturday matches I played in to the HDM where it was posted in Tuesday's edition.

Loved the Sports Mail as a kid and from the age of about 8 used to get it for my dad from a Newsagent in Marfleet who received delivery around 6 pm.
I think its worrying that with the decline of local radio and now newspaper that there won't be anyone asking critical questions of the clubs. They will most likely be reprinting whatever press releases the club wants.

All 3 clubs in Hull have had their low spells and owners that have needed questioning in the past. For example at some point soon id have expected a good journalist to be asking Pearson 'when exactly is this stadium lease meeting?' now we'll just have to wait for whatever the club tell us.

As for RL overall im very worried, the game is skint and media coverage is dwindling. If we dont find another serious TV rights bidder to push SKY to give more money then the game will go part time.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fcaces, Greavsie, Hessle Roader, hullandbroncos, mwindass, RockNRolla, scarrie, Steve0, tommyfinn, Yippee try yay and 449 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC