JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 30 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 10 18:552nd Jan 10 10:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:18 am  
I am just wanting to put across a point of view of a Wakefield resident that is not a wildcats supporter on the proposed new development of the Newmarket site, I have watched on in the media over the last few weeks at all of the proposals for the new wildcats stadium plans and was told about this web site by a friend of mine and I have watched the excitement build as news has come through of the proposed new stadium (which to be honest I think would be very good for the area) but then I have also seen the plans for all of the new factory units and what looks to be a large number of office accommodation too (this I do not think will be good for the area). My problem with this scheme is that the whole of this development is taking up a very large chunk of greenbelt land and in my opinion and many other peoples from the Wakefield district this is totally needles and extremely harmful to our environment, as I have said I would have no problem with the stadium as I think that can be justified for the development of our community but to just go out and create another industrial centre in our city just cannot in my eyes be justified. Why can it not be that the new ground be built at Newmarket and all of the industrial side of the development be located in an already industrialised area of town (of which there are many and with vast areas of acreage to spare). But I realise that this is very idealistic and will not happen, but anyway the main point I am wanting to put across from my message is that Wakefield does not have much if any really greenbelt land where wildlife is in abundance and to just go out and wipe a huge chunk of it out should not be done lightly I realise that most of you wildcats supporters see your new home as a be all and end all but believe me this is not the case and there is a bigger picture of the environment out there and this is why I and others will be urging the local council to take a good long look at these proposals as once the damage has been done there will be no going back. I do hope that your new ground will be realised just not at the expense of our surrounding environment. I realise this may not be a popular viewpoint on your website but it is an honest one and I just wanted it to be known that our I and others like me bares no malice to the wildcats we are just wanting to preserve some of our heritage for future generations.
El Rey 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member27039No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 18 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 17 18:5426th Sep 17 18:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
onetiger = half a cabbage

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Winter is coming.

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:51 am  
Welcome to RLFANS and for posting you're views on the proposed site, i'm sure you'll get some reasoned replies to the questions you have layed out.
RDM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach708
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 30 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 24 20:4620th Sep 17 07:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:57 am  
Stanleyman, you seem to accept that there is virtually nowhere else in Wakefield that the stadium could be built and there are very few who would argue with you. Personally, I can think of only 2 sites however both of these provide greater logistical issues for actually proceeding with the development - hence why there were discounted as realistic sites when the club was considering the various options for a new stadium.

My understanding is that the primary focus of the commercial units is for distribution - this inevitably requires very close access to the motorway network in order for the units to be commercially attractive to businesses in this sector given the ever increasing cost of fuel that is affecting us all. Again, there are very few (if any) sites of a size to match this development in Wakefield regardless of proximity to the motorway network.

Any development of greenbelt is going to have a large consideration to the environmental impact before being allowed. Given that the site is that of the old colliery my personal view is that the classification as greenbelt is a little generous and is closer to brownfield. http://www.lrdlimited.co.uk/case_studie ... liery.html
I'm sure that if this work hadn't been done you'd be firmly behind the new development as it would be cleaning up something of an eyesore.

The use of the site as a colliery was obviously during the existence of Wakefield Trinity and on this basis I would consider the club to be of greater importance to the heritage to the city rather than a piece of "manufactured" green belt.

Wherever the stadium was to be built, there would be people in the immediate area of the new ground that would have one objection or another - as the opposition against Thornes Park showed. I'm sure that the council will decide on what they consider to be the best plan for Wakefield as a city rather than just Wakefield Trinity - but of course I hope that the development is granted planning permission. Hopefully we'll see you at some of the matches so you can get to know what you've been missing out on. :wink:
Stanleyman, you seem to accept that there is virtually nowhere else in Wakefield that the stadium could be built and there are very few who would argue with you. Personally, I can think of only 2 sites however both of these provide greater logistical issues for actually proceeding with the development - hence why there were discounted as realistic sites when the club was considering the various options for a new stadium.

My understanding is that the primary focus of the commercial units is for distribution - this inevitably requires very close access to the motorway network in order for the units to be commercially attractive to businesses in this sector given the ever increasing cost of fuel that is affecting us all. Again, there are very few (if any) sites of a size to match this development in Wakefield regardless of proximity to the motorway network.

Any development of greenbelt is going to have a large consideration to the environmental impact before being allowed. Given that the site is that of the old colliery my personal view is that the classification as greenbelt is a little generous and is closer to brownfield. http://www.lrdlimited.co.uk/case_studie ... liery.html
I'm sure that if this work hadn't been done you'd be firmly behind the new development as it would be cleaning up something of an eyesore.

The use of the site as a colliery was obviously during the existence of Wakefield Trinity and on this basis I would consider the club to be of greater importance to the heritage to the city rather than a piece of "manufactured" green belt.

Wherever the stadium was to be built, there would be people in the immediate area of the new ground that would have one objection or another - as the opposition against Thornes Park showed. I'm sure that the council will decide on what they consider to be the best plan for Wakefield as a city rather than just Wakefield Trinity - but of course I hope that the development is granted planning permission. Hopefully we'll see you at some of the matches so you can get to know what you've been missing out on. :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2988
JoinedServiceReputation
May 31 200519 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jun 24 17:2129th May 24 17:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 am  
Really not sure what you hope to achieve by posting on here.Unless of course you are open to having your opinions changed .

At the end of your comments,you talk about "heritage".

What heritage are you meaning --- the pit closed in 1983 and the work to restore the land began in 1998 --- not much heritage!!!!!

You also comment that it will wipe out a large chunk of Wakefields greenbelt.

Just how much greenbelt does Wakefield have?

And what % will this development wipe out?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 26 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 13 21:3023rd Sep 11 18:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:48 am  
I live very close to the site on Newmarket Lane and have no problem with the stadiium and warehousing/offices being built.

There will still be plenty of green land left for the wildlife as it is very rural around Newmarket Lane/Bottom Boat Road.

Just think of the jobs that these warehouses/offices/hotel is going to bring to the people of Stanley! How fantastic to live on the Moorhouse estate and walk to work every morning instead of having to drive to the other side of town !!!

The land is well overdue being developed and if it's not this development, it'll be another a few years down the line.

I think Yorkcourt have been very sympathetic in their plans and have taken into consideration the local residents who both live on Newmarket Lane already (bypassing the old Newmarket lane and making it restricted access) and the Moorhouse estate (by ensuring the stadium will be blocked from their view)

Anyway, they are my thoughts and I am not just behind the stadium because I am a Wakefield fan, I woul much rather stay at Belle Vue if the truth be known but I know that is not realistic.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years258th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am  
TURFEDOUT wrote:
Really not sure what you hope to achieve by posting on here.Unless of course you are open to having your opinions changed .

At the end of your comments,you talk about "heritage".

What heritage are you meaning --- the pit closed in 1983 and the work to restore the land began in 1998 --- not much heritage!!!!!

You also comment that it will wipe out a large chunk of Wakefields greenbelt.

Just how much greenbelt does Wakefield have?

And what % will this development wipe out?

TBF does he need to be aiming to achieve anything?
It's always good to hear an alternative perspective on any subject even if only to firm up your own perspective on things.

Its easy for those not affected by the development to criticise so called NIMBYS (not aimed at you turfedout) and it's probably fair to say that people affected by it are less likely to see the bigger picture. However if nothing else I can empathise with their position even if it is counter to my own
TRB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 18 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Dec 21 22:5121st Feb 19 13:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"

For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto //www.swag-online.co.uk

For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto //wakefield.rlfans.com

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:04 am  
stanleyman wrote:
*snip*

You have missed the main issue here, namely that there is no stadium without the industrial development / offices / hotel etc. It is the gain from the development of these items which is funding both the land and, at least partly, the build cost of the stadium.

As mentioned above, I think Yorkcourt have been very sympathetic with the plans. The 'light' use units (pub / hotel / offices) are the ones based around the housing, with the 'heavy' units further away - resulting in lighter traffic movements around the existing housing. There is also attention to detail regarding the roadways and landscaping already. If you don't like something, tell the council - but I would suggest that you look at the details more closely and deal with them.

I never doubted for one minute that there would be complaints, but I have seen nothing yet to suggest that the wider population of Wakefield is not best served in this development occuring.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman36013
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jun 24 10:342nd Jul 24 13:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:08 am  
IMO it is a site ripe for development. Very little residential, easy access from motorways, a site of no value historical or natural or "HERITAGE" don't make me laugh.

If this site doesn't get the green light and goes to a full enquiry because a few dozen nimby's are looking for a cause to fill their drab lives then Wakefield is doomed to remain a back water.

I'm all for fairness and the voice of the little man being heard. But when it's a few dozen reactionaries stopping something 15,000 people want and will provide jobs hundreds who need them then I become hostile. I'm hostile because there come a point where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the very few in this case. It's a form of reverse bullying, the nobody having there moment for kicking the big guy. This despite the overblown retoric has nothing to to with belief and everything to do with being petty and awkward for the sake of it IMHO.

Just using the word HERITAGE shows you to be a fraud IMHO.

I'm sure some will slap me down for my post but frankly I'm sick of these people getting in the way of genuine progress for the majority for very little reason. :evil: :evil:
Last edited by vastman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 18 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Dec 21 22:5121st Feb 19 13:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"

For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto //www.swag-online.co.uk

For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto //wakefield.rlfans.com

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am  
Whilst I think our vasty is being a tad harsh :lol: I do agree that the use of the 'preserving our heritage' slant is completely overboard and without value to this process.

The issue here is one of a few people being disrupted by this development (that and the fact that there are those who would wish to see our progress slowed). I have sympathy with the former, but none with the latter.

The phrase 'the greater good' took a bit of a pounding in the film Hot Fuzz, but in this case I can see no better way to describe the proposals put forward! :D
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2988
JoinedServiceReputation
May 31 200519 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jun 24 17:2129th May 24 17:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Problem With Newmarket : Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:39 am  
St. Chunter wrote:
TBF does he need to be aiming to achieve anything?
It's always good to hear an alternative perspective on any subject even if only to firm up your own perspective on things.

Its easy for those not affected by the development to criticise so called NIMBYS (not aimed at you turfedout) and it's probably fair to say that people affected by it are less likely to see the bigger picture. However if nothing else I can empathise with their position even if it is counter to my own

Well,if the poster is not looking to achieve anything -- why bother posting a comment.

Surely he is looking for people to support/understand/empathise/sympathise with his viewpoint,with the aim of gaining support to oppose the development .

On top of that,the whole "speech" is littered with contradictions.

How on earth can you think a stadium in isolation would be good for the area -- but not the full development.Only the full development will bring investment and jobs.

He knows if we dont get this stadium --- it wont be the" be all and end all" for the Wildcats --- How does he know that?When most of us know the reality is we are shafted without a new ground and if this doesnt happen,we are out of time.

And as ive already stated,the heritage card!!!!

IMHO,the poster has come on here with an agenda and tried delivering it with a poorly constructed viewpoint,littered with poor and inaccurate comments.

However ,i will take heart that if the poster represents the objectors,they are up a creek without a crested newt

Not a dig at you St.Chunter and Happy New Year.
Next