RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 2051
Location: Desperation Island
As for Lui, thanks for your efforts but it's the right thing to do.
He was essential in stabilising things in 2019 but we've got to move forward now and it's good the club recognises this.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm  

Trebor1 wrote:
Trebor1 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 3312
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
We've got Eastmond next season regardless. I'd expect Gale to sign a contract extension for 2023, perhaps year to year from then on, unless he's hit by more serious injuries. Much of our future recruitment depends on how we think Eastmond is going - and the timing couldn't be worse with decisions needing to be made now before he's had a chance to show much one way or another.

With Myler in the squad it's not as pressing to have an additional half back option if Eastmond demonstrates he's still got it.

McLelland's never had the chance to properly get into it but, to be fair, he's not really taken any game by the scruff of its neck and time is running out for him unfortunately.

To free up money for a top quality 6 a lot depends on whether we give Hurrell another deal on marquee money - indeed whether we can afford marquee players going forward or not.


From what I’m hearing about Hurrell club are keen to retain but on reduced wages. Whether he’ll accept that is another question.
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 2634
Trebor1 wrote:
From what I’m hearing about Hurrell club are keen to retain but on reduced wages. Whether he’ll accept that is another question.

Sounds sensible.

I expect we will end up retaining a few of the OOC players, just because the club likes to maintain a good culture as much as anything.

Agree with Marty the time to bring in a top 6 would be 2022. Having Gale, new #6 plus Eastmond and McLelland might seem like overkill but we do need some quality through the halves, which we haven't had for years.

We just need to tweak that pack a little to bring in some more aggression and power; happy with options at centre just about, and we need another winger or FB to complete the picture for a tilt at the title.

Everything the club does over the next months in recruitment and retention should be framed around us being in a chance to win SL next season. We have some great young talent and we really need to get the mixture of seniors right now.
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 3:49 pm  

Trebor1 wrote:
Trebor1 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 3312
KaeruJim wrote:
Sounds sensible.

I expect we will end up retaining a few of the OOC players, just because the club likes to maintain a good culture as much as anything.

Agree with Marty the time to bring in a top 6 would be 2022. Having Gale, new #6 plus Eastmond and McLelland might seem like overkill but we do need some quality through the halves, which we haven't had for years.

We just need to tweak that pack a little to bring in some more aggression and power; happy with options at centre just about, and we need another winger or FB to complete the picture for a tilt at the title.

Everything the club does over the next months in recruitment and retention should be framed around us being in a chance to win SL next season. We have some great young talent and we really need to get the mixture of seniors right now.


Agree Jim. The wings shouldn’t be ignored. We lack real strike out there, only Handley imo who’s got it.
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 4:32 pm  
Loiner at large Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 110
My personal view is that the squad is too big especially in the back row. Let the majority of the OOC leave unless somebody tears it up this year to earn a new deal.
We should only be bringing in 3 or 4 players but they all need to be of the quality to start. A marquee 6 additional prop and Bentley and Johnstone and suddenly we look a different team. I would be happy to go with back row options of Mellor Bentley Donaldson Thompson Cam Smith Gannon and Walters as long as we have 4 props.
Walters and Gannon look the real deal and should get regular game time. Accept the winger might need to wait till 2023 however would love more pace
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 6:27 pm  

doc-rhino wrote:
doc-rhino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:55 pm
Posts: 1345
Loiner at large wrote:
My personal view is that the squad is too big especially in the back row. Let the majority of the OOC leave unless somebody tears it up this year to earn a new deal.
We should only be bringing in 3 or 4 players but they all need to be of the quality to start. A marquee 6 additional prop and Bentley and Johnstone and suddenly we look a different team. I would be happy to go with back row options of Mellor Bentley Donaldson Thompson Cam Smith Gannon and Walters as long as we have 4 props.
Walters and Gannon look the real deal and should get regular game time. Accept the winger might need to wait till 2023 however would love more pace
you say back row too many and keep 4 average ones , good luck to lui did a job now time for a quality 6
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 pm  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 1152
Mclelland will be released too. Think we will put all eggs in basket with Gale/Eastmond combo.
Very risky as both injury pronr though....
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 am  
fanstanningley User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:11 pm
Posts: 10849
Location: Pudsey
Shabino wrote:
Mclelland will be released too. Think we will put all eggs in basket with Gale/Eastmond combo.
Very risky as both injury pronr though....
That would be reckless both are fairly injury prone.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am  
fanstanningley User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:11 pm
Posts: 10849
Location: Pudsey
doc-rhino wrote:
you say back row too many and keep 4 average ones , good luck to lui did a job now time for a quality 6
You cant get rid of every player plus we have a salary cap you will have average players in the squad.An aveage player as you put it often ups his game when playing with better players.Next season i can see Walters starting before Mellor if Mellor doesnt improve add Bentley or someone of that standard Tet at 13 who later moves to prop Smith to come to 13 and a pick for the bench of Holroyd Thompson Mellor Donaldson Gannon Dwyer new prop its starting to look something like.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Re: OUT 2022 | Rob Lui - Retirement Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 am  
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 8737
Location: NOT in "Crying Corner" on the SWMC Coach
Shabino wrote:
Mclelland will be released too. Think we will put all eggs in basket with Gale/Eastmond combo.
Very risky as both injury pronr though....


Sounds plausible, I think if we hadnt been so maligned in this situation McClelland wouldve still been out on loan at Fev developing, wedve had Lui and Gale in the halves and given a bit more time to Eastmond to get back in the swing of it, maybe even a cheeky loan out to Fev for some game time.
As it is with everything its just a hot mess, Injuries have so far robbed us of any momentum building with any combination of half back getting on the field and even the ones we have had out have shown to be very undercooked.
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.


IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArthurClues, christopher, Dadsylad, exiledrhino, FearTheVee, KaeruJim, Seth, tad rhino, The Magic Rat, Wigg'n and 241 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 19th Sep
SL RND: 25 Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH RND: 22 Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH RND: 22 Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH RND: 22 Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH RND: 22 Halifax10-12Batley
CH RND: 22 Swinton16-26Widnes
CH RND: 22 York30-22LondonB
L1 RND: 22 Doncaster31-10Hunslet
WSL RND: 16 St.HelensW52-0WiganW
WSL RND: 16 YorkW28-14CastlefordW
Sat 18th Sep
NRL RND: 27 Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH RND: 22 Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1 RND: 22 Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
SL RND: 25 Salford26-14St.Helens
SLRND: 25 Wakefield44-12Hull FC
SL RND: 25 Wigan12-8Catalans
NRL RND: 27 Manly42-6Sydney
Thu 16th Sep
SL RND: 25 Castleford24-40Warrington
Sun 12th Sep
SLRND: 24 Leigh26-18Wakefield
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::