RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Liar, Liar !
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Liar, Liar ! Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:10 am  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Absolutely stand by that comment - any religion that consider females less valuable than males is an issue for me, any religion that accepts honour killings as acceptable again is an issue for me. Any religion that thinks intimate physical relations between the same sex is punishable by death is also an issue for me - I am leaving that there.

You've not read the bible have you.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Liar, Liar ! Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15854
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Absolutely stand by that comment - any religion that consider females less valuable than males is an issue for me, any religion that accepts honour killings as acceptable again is an issue for me. Any religion that thinks intimate physical relations between the same sex is punishable by death is also an issue for me - I am leaving that there.


Have you taken a peek into the history of the Catholic religion or Church of England.
Granted they havent gone for honour killings but, they certainly dont treat women equally and let's not even go towards their exploits with young boys or young unmarried pregnant girls. :CRAZY:

How about "castratos" in the Catholic church too and for what ??
Re: Liar, Liar ! Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:43 pm  

wotsupcas wrote:
wotsupcas Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 554
wrencat1873 wrote:
Have you taken a peek into the history of the Catholic religion or Church of England.
Granted they havent gone for honour killings but, they certainly dont treat women equally and let's not even go towards their exploits with young boys or young unmarried pregnant girls. :CRAZY:

How about "castratos" in the Catholic church too and for what ??

All religion is man made and about power and control. Most of them, however, have at least tried to move on from the middle ages. Haven't seen many beheadings, stonings or homosexuals thrown off tall buildings in this country recently.
Re: Liar, Liar ! Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:45 pm  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
You've not read the bible have you.


I don't anywhere in the bible where same sex relationships are punishable by death - I don't see any Christian country that practises that - maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think in the bible it suggests honour killing your daughter is not only allowed but positively encouraged - again perhaps I'm wrong.

Good job Monty Python didn't do a life of Brian on Mohammed - do you think Salman Rushdie was have got the same response if his book was about Christianity?
Re: Liar, Liar ! Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 am
Posts: 786
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
I don't anywhere in the bible where same sex relationships are punishable by death - I don't see any Christian country that practises that - maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think in the bible it suggests honour killing your daughter is not only allowed but positively encouraged - again perhaps I'm wrong.

Good job Monty Python didn't do a life of Brian on Mohammed - do you think Salman Rushdie was have got the same response if his book was about Christianity?


Leviticus 20:13
“If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.'

This is the old testament though, and although homosexuality is never acceptable in Christianity, it is not punishable by death in the new testament.

As for honour killings... Again from the old testament:
Deuteronomy 22

20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father’s house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Again, this wasn't really condoned in the new testament.

The fact is, all religions are usually violent and oppressive if followed orthodoxicly. Ask the Muslims in Myanmar if they think Buddhism is a peaceful religion for example. So it's not just as simple as saying one is any worse then any other, especially when there's so many other factors that motivates someone to do something.

It's also important to realise Islam is approximately 600 years 'younger' than Christianity, and at approximately the same point in Christian history the Spanish inquisition was taking place in Europe, so it doesn't necessarily mean Islam won't go through the same reforms as Christianity has. Having said that, it could be argued that those reforms were a result of social and economic changes, as opposed to religious modernisation.
Re: Liar, Liar ! Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:16 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
I don't anywhere in the bible where same sex relationships are punishable by death - I don't see any Christian country that practises that - maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think in the bible it suggests honour killing your daughter is not only allowed but positively encouraged - again perhaps I'm wrong.

Good job Monty Python didn't do a life of Brian on Mohammed - do you think Salman Rushdie was have got the same response if his book was about Christianity?

I think you're confusing where a country is in the march towards secularism and inherent problems with one religion more than another.

They're all terrible, all have deeply unpleasant and bloody pasts and I view with deep suspicion anyone who genuinely believes in them.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Liar, Liar ! Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11926
Location: Leicestershire.
The Ghost of '99 wrote:

They're all terrible, all have deeply unpleasant and bloody pasts and I view with deep suspicion anyone who genuinely believes in them.


Countries, religions or both? :)
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Liar, Liar ! Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 am  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I think you're confusing where a country is in the march towards secularism and inherent problems with one religion more than another.

They're all terrible, all have deeply unpleasant and bloody pasts and I view with deep suspicion anyone who genuinely believes in them.


I completely agree re religion - Islam is particularly troublesome - you only have to look at recent events in Batley.

Tribal disagreements are far more aggressive - look in Rwanda, Middle East, Ethiopia - this is real and nothing to do with religion.
Re: Liar, Liar ! Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:20 am  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
Jack Burton wrote:
Leviticus 20:13
“If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.'

This is the old testament though, and although homosexuality is never acceptable in Christianity, it is not punishable by death in the new testament.

As for honour killings... Again from the old testament:
Deuteronomy 22

20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father’s house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Again, this wasn't really condoned in the new testament.

The fact is, all religions are usually violent and oppressive if followed orthodoxicly. Ask the Muslims in Myanmar if they think Buddhism is a peaceful religion for example. So it's not just as simple as saying one is any worse then any other, especially when there's so many other factors that motivates someone to do something.

It's also important to realise Islam is approximately 600 years 'younger' than Christianity, and at approximately the same point in Christian history the Spanish inquisition was taking place in Europe, so it doesn't necessarily mean Islam won't go through the same reforms as Christianity has. Having said that, it could be argued that those reforms were a result of social and economic changes, as opposed to religious modernisation.


Both are Abrahamic religions but Christianity changed 1000 years ago - Islam it would appear is still stuck in the middle ages
Re: Liar, Liar ! Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:02 pm  

User avatarsilver2 wrote:
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 1821
Location: Warrington
Sadly, I believe that conflict is just part of what we are as humans. Religion, colour and geographic boundaries are just the excuses.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 42 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,168,11567978,6216,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
CH RND: 9 Swinton30-36Newcastle
CH RND: 9 Whitehaven20-24Batley
CH RND: 9 Widnes22-24LondonB
L1 RND: 6 Coventry12-30Workington
L1 RND: 6 Keighley70-12West Wales
L1 RND: 6 Crusaders0-68Doncaster
Sat 12th Jun
SL RND: 9 Leigh30-36Catalans
NRL RND: 14 Gold Coast34-35Sydney
NRL RND: 14 Souths24-10Newcastle
NRL RND: 14 Canberra38-16Brisbane
CH RND: 9 Oldham28-32Sheffield
L1 RND: 6 Barrow40-4Rochdale
L1 RND: 6 LondonS10-62Hunslet
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 8 206 70 136 14 294.29 87.50
Wigan 8 158 136 22 14 116.18 87.50
Warrington 9 302 157 145 13 192.36 72.22
Hull FC 9 179 143 36 11 125.17 61.11
Hull KR 9 223 204 19 10 109.31 55.56
 
Castleford 9 185 232 -47 8 79.74 44.44
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 8 150 162 -12 6 92.59 37.50
Wakefield 9 163 231 -68 4 70.56 22.22
Salford 9 106 289 -183 2 36.68 11.11
Leigh 9 134 322 -188 0 41.61 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 5 211 62 149 10 340.32 100
Workington 5 180 94 86 8 191.49 80
Doncaster 5 182 126 56 8 144.44 80
Coventry 4 106 114 -8 4 92.98 50
Keighley 5 158 135 23 4 117.04 40
Rochdale 5 157 156 1 4 100.64 40
 
Crusaders 5 122 150 -28 4 81.33 40
Hunslet 5 84 137 -53 4 61.31 40
LondonS 4 104 150 -46 2 69.33 25
West Wales 5 70 250 -180 0 28 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X