FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sunday - York (H)
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player176No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20222 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 24 01:4424th May 24 11:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:02 pm  
Wow. Wasn’t expecting a score like that, even if York had injury problems, it still takes a brilliant performance to put a score like that up. Vanners needs to stay in the Uk and watch every game if that is what happens when he goes.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain564No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20 20159 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Nov 23 13:1512th Oct 23 14:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:07 pm  
micktheleyther wrote:
92-2 v Keighley, record victory margin and record high score today, as well as a club goal kick record for Inu.

Was a pleasure to witness that today! Really enjoyed it.

It was a Wednesday night in April near the end of the season in 85/6 with Chris Johnson kicking 15 goals and one season wonder Australian Steve Halliwell scoring 5 tries out of an amazing 49 for the season.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20204 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 18:3919th May 24 09:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:23 pm  
Ok, here's my take on what happened this afternoon. Firstly, and here is where I come across as a bit of a killjoy, I think it is wrong to overlook one or two important factors in the result. So, firstly the caveats before the celebration of the brilliance.

This was not a full strength York team. It was hit by injuries and unavailability. By all accounts they were struggling to put a match day 17 together. It was a bare bones selection bereft of several senior players with considerable SL experience.

Secondly, York are playing badly at the moment. They are clearly a team without confidence. Their recent form has been poor. A much stronger York team on paper lost last week to Bradford, yes, Bradford. If ever there was a worrying sign as to where you are at as a team at present then it is a loss to Bradford.

Thirdly, there are better teams still to play this season. Opponents will be more physical than York and the games will be quicker with much faster and harder defences lining up to kill space and slow the play the ball. Core skills will be much better tested than today. Those will be games where decision making will have to be split second fast and accurate. Today, time on the ball was leisurely. Lets not kid ourselves as to York's limitations.

Despite all this, poor teams, and York were a poor team today, have to be put to the sword. Leigh had not done this all season, until today. Regularly putting 50 or 60 points on opponents in recent weeks has masked the fact that we have not been playing at our very best. Just listen to our coach's post match interviews every week. He has not been satisfied, often assessing dominant performances as no better than 7 out of 10's. So, today, the result and performance has been coming but, boy did it come with a bang.

This Leigh team has so much quality and for me, they have just not been getting close to where I feel they can be. However today, the handbrake was clearly off from the first minute. There were off-loads a plenty and the ball was being given some serious air time in some of the passing moves. Support play was great and the game was played at an amazing pace combined with a brutal physicality

This was one of the best attacking displays I have ever seen from the cherry and whites. More worryingly for our future opponents this season I don't think that we have either finished improving or finished demolishing sides.

Our half backs were superb today. When did we last say that, if ever. VL on this forum has been raving on about Lam junior and today I think that we got more of a sighting of what we can come to expect. He looks very tasty and given the position he plays in he will be pivotal in what we do in the play-offs.

Some rival fans have looked at our results over the past few weeks and concluded, from a distance, that form wise Leigh have plateaued. I don't think we have at all. We have been bedding a new player into a key position and it seems to be coming off. Today we played total rugby from all over the pitch and there were very few errors.

We are moving forwards and we are getting better as a team. Everyone else in this division, watch out, Leigh are no longer just a brutally efficient one trick pony who will beat you with their physicality and speed through the middle. Today we saw an exclusive of a very impressive plan B. Future opponents watching today's showing would have found it just a little bit scary. There are very few crumbs of comfort or grounds for optimism for them to take from viewing this afternoon's total rugby performance.

All in all, things seem to be coming together quite nicely. Bring on the play-offs.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 24 03:4718th May 24 05:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:33 pm  
Bent&Bongser wrote:
Second bit bang on, first bit a tad out!

As per usual, Bongser gets very few points.

Knew there was a “beat the clock, point a minute” performance in this Leigh team, but as the TON beckoned it would have been exciting for the first time had Bongser not been seeing the whole game through Vancouver Leyther’s eyes - what a match to pick for 8) his first in five years. Delighted for him - just as sound a bloke in the flesh as he comes across as in “virtuality.”

Ah it was a Grand Day Out, Gromit!

Little did we really know that the result today would be as good as the song we heard in the pre-game hostelry :wink:
In the far flung igloos of the Great North I get little chance to talk with great Leythers or see our great team. Today I did both and neither disappointed. Bongser and Charlie, it was a true pleasure that we will have to repeat.
To all at Leigh Rugby, you’ve made an ever aging Leyther very happy. And all was done wearing the “poop Shirt” from last years bash, with my dearly departed Dads name on the back.
A Grand Day Out indeed. 8)
Woody 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach50No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 02 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 24 06:3614th Apr 24 15:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 am  
Very impressive result.

Somewhat confused though, how can you field so many overseas players?

If/when you get promoted to SL next season what will team look like? Not many in the squad that could make the step up other than the dozen that need to fit into seven for next year.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain369
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 20159 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 06:4023rd May 24 06:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm  
Jack Gaskell wrote:
Ok, here's my take on what happened this afternoon. Firstly, and here is where I come across as a bit of a killjoy, I think it is wrong to overlook one or two important factors in the result. So, firstly the caveats before the celebration of the brilliance.

This was not a full strength York team. It was hit by injuries and unavailability. By all accounts they were struggling to put a match day 17 together. It was a bare bones selection bereft of several senior players with considerable SL experience.

Secondly, York are playing badly at the moment. They are clearly a team without confidence. Their recent form has been poor. A much stronger York team on paper lost last week to Bradford, yes, Bradford. If ever there was a worrying sign as to where you are at as a team at present then it is a loss to Bradford.

Thirdly, there are better teams still to play this season. Opponents will be more physical than York and the games will be quicker with much faster and harder defences lining up to kill space and slow the play the ball. Core skills will be much better tested than today. Those will be games where decision making will have to be split second fast and accurate. Today, time on the ball was leisurely. Lets not kid ourselves as to York's limitations.

Despite all this, poor teams, and York were a poor team today, have to be put to the sword. Leigh had not done this all season, until today. Regularly putting 50 or 60 points on opponents in recent weeks has masked the fact that we have not been playing at our very best. Just listen to our coach's post match interviews every week. He has not been satisfied, often assessing dominant performances as no better than 7 out of 10's. So, today, the result and performance has been coming but, boy did it come with a bang.
Attachments
raw.gif
This post contains an attachment, if you are the copyright owner and
would like this removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain369
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 20159 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm  
I actually agree with everything JG said, I just wanted to post that gif.

Lam is all for managing expectations and you wouldn't be much of a professional athlete (or a long suffering Leigh fan) if you took that result as anything other than a fantastic demolition job of a severely depleted opposition.

Past results are not indicative of future results but you can only beat what's in front of you.

And other "fans" questioning our current squad and are seemingly so desperate to know what will be left next year are welcome to read the myriad of other posts on this forum speculating, postulating and ruminating about this very matter, while also simply reading about who has already signed on and who is going to leave/already out on loan.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200222 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:23 pm  
Woody wrote:
Very impressive result.

Somewhat confused though, how can you field so many overseas players?

If/when you get promoted to SL next season what will team look like? Not many in the squad that could make the step up other than the dozen that need to fit into seven for next year.

Wow thanks for bringing that point up to our Coach etc,they might not have been aware,so thanks for your prompt.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain369
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 20159 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:54 pm  
Finally found the highlights - and full credit to the York youtube account that has also posted them, at double speed.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21230
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years58th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 24 08:0024th May 24 10:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: Sunday - York (H) : Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm  
Deeeekos wrote:
Finally found the highlights - and full credit to the York youtube account that has also posted them, at double speed.

Real speed HERE Deeeekos. :thumb:
Deeeekos wrote:

Real speed HERE Deeeekos. :thumb:
PreviousNext