JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years259th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: The Final : Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:05 pm  
vastman wrote:
To a degree but although it was long before my time 1968 is sporting legend not just RL. Don’t think anything that tragic or theatrical will ever happen again, it was pure emotion.

Did you see 'Rugby League's Legendary Watersplash Final' on the Beeb earlier in the year? Well worth a watch if not
RankPostsTeam
International Star5532
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 201113 years203rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 13:2913th May 24 19:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 pm  
Schunter wrote:
Did you see 'Rugby League's Legendary Watersplash Final' on the Beeb earlier in the year? Well worth a watch if not

I still curse and swear every time I watch it but I keep watching it when it’s on, strange :(
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35981
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 18:4816th May 24 07:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: The Final : Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm  
Redscat wrote:
I think it's a reasonable question, vasty.
On Friday you could see the total commitment of each player on both sides. They all looked as though they were playing for each other.
Whereas on many occasions when watching Trinity I get the impression that certain players are of the opinion, " Can't be bothered. Let so and so do it". We sometimes look like just 13 individuals and not a TEAM.

Don’t agree. It was a silly question imo. As I said we have been poor this season, the team balance and mentality was wrong. It wasn’t wrong in previous seasons.

We are not a top team at present so of course we wouldn’t be able to match their intensity, it’s a totally pointless question because it’s already been answered.

Unless you or TT have a crystal bal you have no idea whether next season will be the same.

Key players are ageing at Saints and the whole team dynamic might be about to change. It’s a ridiculous assumption that Saints will maintain their position. Just look how quickly Leeds faded when the team went over the hill. Just because a young player scored an opportunist try doesn’t mean that Saints future is secured.

Saints will alway be potentially a championship team but that potential will come and go, that’s how it works.

I’ll say it again, our transformation from 2003 to 2004 was stunning and one day a lesser team will make that leap. I suspect had someone like MC been running Trinity at the time we might just of been the one.

Finally (honestly) Saints struggled to beat a vey beatable Wigan outfit, one that we’ve seen off on many occasions in recent years. In my time there has only ever been one team that was in a league of there own and that was Wigan from roughly 1986 to 1994. Since then I think people have been obsessed that another team will do the same, they won’t imho. They were truly as close to unbeatable as its possible to get, Saints are not at that level, not even close. The game has moved on, Wigan were at the cusp of a new professional year, that’s come and gone.

That said I like Saints and how they play, they are definitely the team I’d most like us to emulate.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2900
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:541st May 24 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:43 pm  
I must admit Saints have always been my favourite team on the wrong side of the Pennines, going right back to the sixties. I always admired their open style of play and tendency to move the ball from wing to wing in very organised attacks. They never seemed to get that "dirty" tag that their neighbours had (and still have). They adopted fast skilful rugby whoever coached them (Cunningham era excepted).
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2999
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 22:5616th May 24 19:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We're all Trin aren't we?

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:19 am  
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
No I was comparing the error by French that cost Wigan the game and that of Grix which cost us the win against St Helens. Why would you think I would be referring to Hardaker, I thought it was obvious but don’t worry any future posts I will try to dumb it down for you.

"That put Grix’s error into perspective and just shows it can happen even to the best players."
That was your post.
The previous post/poster mentioned Hardaker, which without any context, you were replying too......
You didn't mention French.
Let me dumb it down even further to your level..... If that's possible..... :roll:
French was in no real position to collect the ball due to the bounce.
Grix, on the other hand, as many other posters have already pointed out - could have put the ball in row Z with either hand or foot and did neither.
What I think needs to happen as far as your concerned, is to drop the love in you have with Grix and admit he f*cked it up.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5122
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 201410 years87th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 02:4615th May 24 21:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:22 am  
I have no record of support for Grix, my post was actually pointing out that it could happen to anyone. I have witnessed similar errors this season by our players but due to our many one sided games they made little difference to the final result,
If I was you I would concentrate on posting for yourself rather than trying to impress others on the forum by trying to put me posts down without success.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2641No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 201212 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 24 21:4012th May 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 am  
Can I ever expect to watch a Wakey team performing at the levels just seen, I'm hopeful but at 64 will not be holding my breath. Of course that may be part of the problem, Wakey fans don't expect and will probably never be in a position to demand success, while ever our expectations remain grounded our performance s and league position will always be at best middle table.
Because of our recent history in and out of receivership we have all thanked our luck stars to have a club to support. And have come to accept medioracasy with a sprinkling of good results that's our culture.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35981
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 18:4816th May 24 07:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 am  
lampyboy wrote:
Can I ever expect to watch a Wakey team performing at the levels just seen, I'm hopeful but at 64 will not be holding my breath. Of course that may be part of the problem, Wakey fans don't expect and will probably never be in a position to demand success, while ever our expectations remain grounded our performance s and league position will always be at best middle table.
Because of our recent history in and out of receivership we have all thanked our luck stars to have a club to support. And have come to accept medioracasy with a sprinkling of good results that's our culture.

All I can say is hang in there.

If there is any kind of equilibrium in life Trinity are due some luck. Certainly the last two years have been very testing.

I say the last two years because I struggle to see what more we could have done.

You can argue all day long about CC merits as a coach or MC as a chairman and which players didn’t perform. What you can’t deny Is that injuries have been a constant problem of sometimes epic proportions and that for whatever reason the players left have not performed to their abilities.

This is by far and away our best ever squad imo of the SL era, only 2004 and 2008 come close but neither had the depth.

If people don’t believe just how lucky we now are go look back through some of our SL squads. Jeez you’d be lucky to recognise some, you’d be even luckier to find many good players.

Some of those teams quite literally (this time) don’t have more than a couple of genuinely talented players. I mean hats off they somehow kept us up but compared to the current team, they don’t compare.

We now have a world class winger and another top class winger who when fit score more tries per season than the entire back line of some of those teams, that’s each not combined. Some past wingers have not managed more than a couple of tries in a season! I always think that the number of wingers tries tends to indicate the quality of the product.

For once the talent is there or nearly there. Whether we just need that one extra player, a new belief, better tactics or just plain luck, I don’t know but success is more in sight than it ever has been in my 30 seasons.

Keep the faith.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Mar 22 16:3520th Mar 22 16:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:59 am  
BarnsleyGull wrote:
"That put Grix’s error into perspective and just shows it can happen even to the best players."
That was your post.
The previous post/poster mentioned Hardaker, which without any context, you were replying too......
You didn't mention French.
Let me dumb it down even further to your level..... If that's possible..... :roll:
French was in no real position to collect the ball due to the bounce.
Grix, on the other hand, as many other posters have already pointed out - could have put the ball in row Z with either hand or foot and did neither.
What I think needs to happen as far as your concerned, is to drop the love in you have with Grix and admit he f*cked it up.

It is impossible to put into perspective what Grix did. I have no ill-feeling or vendetta against him but it was the most monumental error made by a Trinity player in the SL era in my opinion, no doubt in my mind. It was just so inexplicable, it was almost impossible to believe what he'd done, it was utter crap and he should feel some shame though he shouldn't beat himself up forever. It was as close to being as unforgivable as you can get without actually believing he'd done it on purpose, which I don't.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2641No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 201212 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 24 21:4012th May 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Final : Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:04 am  
Grix certainly blotted his reputation but I prefer to remember him as a fantastic organiser, good link up play and good kicking near the line.
PreviousNext