FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League 3 (PS3)
::Here you can discuss any Rugby League games, whether video games, board games, or online.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach458No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 15 20:078th Mar 14 21:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm  
Fishsta wrote:
So why not buy a new version on the Wii? What's the difference whatever console it comes out on? Whether it's Wii, Xbox360 or PS3, it will still be "a newer version of a game you played 5 years ago". It will naturally have better graphics than the PS2 version because the Wii is capable of full progressive scan.

Because if I'm going to be paying out £20+ then I expect to be able to play it on a platform that I wish. If they can't do that, then I won't buy their game.

For many of us, we have grown up with Playstations and Xboxs and we are used to the controls. Tried playing Super Mario without the nunchuck? It feels so uncomfortable, then trying to click 1 and 2 with the nunchuck in, that's awkward as well.
DARE 
RankPostsTeam
International Star2028No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Feb 14 17:1316th Feb 14 20:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#Fax2012

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm  
Agreed games like Madden and Fifa are life like compared to Rugby League 2/3. I'll give EA sports a buzz. :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Dec 11 13:4920th Dec 11 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 am  
Saint Ryan wrote:
Because if I'm going to be paying out £20+ then I expect to be able to play it on a platform that I wish. If they can't do that, then I won't buy their game.

Well, that's a fair enough opinion, but it's not like you have the choice. Same as the next Mario game, that won't be on the PS3 either.

The thing that gets me is that everyone is so keen on maximum exposure for Rugby League the sport, yet people seem equally keen to slash the potential sales of a Rugby League game by around 70 percent by "demanding" it be released on a minority console like the PS3.

For many of us, we have grown up with Playstations and Xboxs and we are used to the controls. Tried playing Super Mario without the nunchuck? It feels so uncomfortable, then trying to click 1 and 2 with the nunchuck in, that's awkward as well.

Who's to say there won't be an option to play via Gamecube or classic controllers?

Incidentally, the PS3 has finally been "hacked", meaning 1 of 2 things could now happen: Dev and licencing costs may either fall, or they may soar.

One thing's for sure, if they do fall, that saving won't be passed on to the buying public, but if they go up expect Neo-Geo prices to apply (£70-£100 per game).
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach458No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:42 pm  
Fishsta wrote:
Well, that's a fair enough opinion, but it's not like you have the choice. Same as the next Mario game, that won't be on the PS3 either.

The thing that gets me is that everyone is so keen on maximum exposure for Rugby League the sport, yet people seem equally keen to slash the potential sales of a Rugby League game by around 70 percent by "demanding" it be released on a minority console like the PS3.

Who's to say there won't be an option to play via Gamecube or classic controllers?

Incidentally, the PS3 has finally been "hacked", meaning 1 of 2 things could now happen: Dev and licencing costs may either fall, or they may soar.

One thing's for sure, if they do fall, that saving won't be passed on to the buying public, but if they go up expect Neo-Geo prices to apply (£70-£100 per game).

But, not everyone has a Wii, so what happens to those who have an Xbox or a PS3? Why make a game on a console that not everyone has, especially one that has poor graphics compared to the other consoles?

The reason that Xbox and PS3 are so popular is because of the online play, the fact that they have much superior graphics. It is just a stupid business decision by Sidhe to release a game on just one console, almost as stupid as releasing the RLWC on the near enough 2 year outdated PS2.

I guess if they did release a controller I'd consider buying it, but I doubt it.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm  
Saint Ryan wrote:
But, not everyone has a Wii, so what happens to those who have an Xbox or a PS3?

More people have a Wii. It's not about which is the "best" console, it's purely the fact that the Wii has outsold the PS3 by more than 2 to 1 and the XBox360 by almost 2 to 1. FACT - Sony have just sold their 3 millionth PS3. The XBox360 had a year's start on the PS3 and sold 3.9m by the end of 2009. Nintendo have sold 6 million Wiis to the end of 2009, despite giving the 360 a 9 month head start.

Why make a game on a console that not everyone has, especially one that has poor graphics compared to the other consoles?

Whichever console they decide to release on, they will be releasing it "on a console that not everyone has", the BIG difference is there are twice as many Wiis out there to market to.

The reason that Xbox and PS3 are so popular is because of the online play,

Yes, so does the Wii. 100% FREE.

the fact that they have much superior graphics.

They might, but look back to the days of Sinclair / Commodore / Amstrad etc... I'd rather play a GOOD game than one with flashy graphics and plays like a slug. Just out of interest, what TV do you use with your PS3? Make and Model number if you can, please.

It is just a stupid business decision by Sidhe to release a game on just one console, almost as stupid as releasing the RLWC on the near enough 2 year outdated PS2.

AGAIN, it's all about numbers. If Sidhe want to develop for just one console, it may be a "stupid" decision, it may be a highly scrutinised and risk-analysed decision. But if you're only going to release for one console, do you pick the ultra-expensive and comparitively unpopular PS3 and hope people will pay the resultant extortionate asking price, or go for sales in volume on the most popular console and see how it goes, because if it sells while enough, it could well finance a future release on the PS3. Thankfully the state of the computer game market these days mean that you can always "trade-in" when the version you actually WANT is released.

I guess if they did release a controller I'd consider buying it, but I doubt it.

Not sure what you mean here. Who release a controller? I'm talking about the ones you can already use with the Wii, i.e. one of these:

or one of these:

And no, I'm not trying to patronise, I'm just making sure I'm completely clear about what I'm talking about.
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach458No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm  
Fishsta wrote:
More people have a Wii. It's not about which is the "best" console, it's purely the fact that the Wii has outsold the PS3 by more than 2 to 1 and the XBox360 by almost 2 to 1. FACT - Sony have just sold their 3 millionth PS3. The XBox360 had a year's start on the PS3 and sold 3.9m by the end of 2009. Nintendo have sold 6 million Wiis to the end of 2009, despite giving the 360 a 9 month head start.

Whichever console they decide to release on, they will be releasing it "on a console that not everyone has", the BIG difference is there are twice as many Wiis out there to market to.

They might, but look back to the days of Sinclair / Commodore / Amstrad etc... I'd rather play a GOOD game than one with flashy graphics and plays like a slug. Just out of interest, what TV do you use with your PS3? Make and Model number if you can, please.

AGAIN, it's all about numbers. If Sidhe want to develop for just one console, it may be a "stupid" decision, it may be a highly scrutinised and risk-analysed decision. But if you're only going to release for one console, do you pick the ultra-expensive and comparitively unpopular PS3 and hope people will pay the resultant extortionate asking price, or go for sales in volume on the most popular console and see how it goes, because if it sells while enough, it could well finance a future release on the PS3. Thankfully the state of the computer game market these days mean that you can always "trade-in" when the version you actually WANT is released.

Not sure what you mean here. Who release a controller? I'm talking about the ones you can already use with the Wii, i.e. one of these:

or one of these:

And no, I'm not trying to patronise, I'm just making sure I'm completely clear about what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'm not trying to cause an argument, it's a discussion board and this is a discussion :) :thumb:

ATEOD, my point I'm trying to get across is that the code between an Xbox and a PS3 is minimal. Even better they should release it on the PC, PCs are the original online gaming community. PS3 is also a free internet too, Xbox makes you pay for some reason.

I play my PS3 on a 19" LG, about 2/3 years old. Doesn't bother me about pixels on the TV, but I can see a difference between the two.

But again the main point is, I don't want it on just one console. The two Xbox and PS3 are for the older/teenage market, the Wii is a family console. They should have thought about who buys more sports games. Fifa/Pro Evo, Rugby, Madden, Cricket, Golf, all these games are heavily marketed on the PS3 and Xbox, why? Because they are for the older youths, rather than the younger children.

Ask anyone who has a Wii, why did you buy it? I will put money on it that most will have bought them for children under the age of 10. With the controller, we only got ours before xmas for the Wii Fit and hadn't seen the controllers :oops:
RankPostsTeam
International Star5No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 18 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Mar 10 20:4427th Jan 10 17:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 pm  
tbh rugby league is mainly confined to the north of england, how many people down south have even heard of rugby league and i bet that with people in london been on everage more wealthy than ppl up here they have wiis, how many ppl will buy rugby league 3. It probably wont make a difference what console they brink it out on, personally i would of prefered it to be out on the ps3 and xbox 360 but then again your points are valid and i respect that

RESPECT!!! :P
JTR 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach499No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 11 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 14 16:0012th Sep 14 15:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 am  
Fishsta wrote:

I hate the "it's free" argument. Sony don't charge anything for their online service and I am perfectly happy to pay £26 for a 12month XBOX Live subscription because it really is THAT good. For the price of £26 you are getting way more hours of content/entertainment than any one Wii retail game will give you for the same price.

I have played a number of games online on Wii such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros., The Conduit and Medal of Honor and the level of interactivity is the equivelent of playing against Bots, except playing bots would be better as you wouldn't run into hackers.

Saint Ryan wrote:
For many of us, we have grown up with Playstations and Xboxs and we are used to the controls.

You can play RL3 and many other games with a Cube controller :wink: I bought an official one a while back, £9.99 new.

Saint Ryan wrote:
Ask anyone who has a Wii, why did you buy it? I will put money on it that most will have bought them for children under the age of 10.

I, along with many others bought it due to the number of AAA titles it has. If you want to ignore them then that is fine, but don't speak for everyone, beneath the stacks of shovelware and minigame collections are some gems.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:36 am  
Saint Ryan wrote:
Yeah, I'm not trying to cause an argument, it's a discussion board and this is a discussion :) :thumb:

ATEOD, my point I'm trying to get across is that the code between an Xbox and a PS3 is minimal.

Actually, it would take a dev team about 5 months to port a game from one to the other. That's not minimal!

Even better they should release it on the PC, PCs are the original online gaming community.

This I agree with, the one problem with PCs is everyone's setup is different, different combinations of motherboard, CPU, Graphics Card, Operating System, which makes making a game that can run and adjust itself according to the efficiency of the PC playing it incredibly tricky, and demonstrates the single major advantage consoles have over the PC gaming market.

PS3 is also a free internet too, Xbox makes you pay for some reason.

I play my PS3 on a 19" LG, about 2/3 years old. Doesn't bother me about pixels on the TV, but I can see a difference between the two.

I would expect that 19" LG is running at either 1080i or 720p... IF it has HDMI input, which would make the difference between PS3 and Wii for you personally not very much (providing you've got the Wii Component cable).

But again the main point is, I don't want it on just one console.

Oh, no, neither do I. I want it released on every system available including Gamepark and Dreamcast. Unfortunately that's expecting a little too much from our friendly NZ game company.

The two Xbox and PS3 are for the older/teenage market, the Wii is a family console. They should have thought about who buys more sports games. Fifa/Pro Evo, Rugby, Madden, Cricket, Golf, all these games are heavily marketed on the PS3 and Xbox, why? Because they are for the older youths, rather than the younger children.

Not quite true, I've recently acquired Madden for the Wii... Graphics are fantastic, and the Wii's unique control system suits it down to the ground. The PS3 version would have to be REALLY outstanding to beat it. Plus, Manhunt 2? Resident Evil 4? Madworld? House of The Dead Overkill? I wouldn't let my kids play them...

Ask anyone who has a Wii, why did you buy it? I will put money on it that most will have bought them for children under the age of 10.

I'm 30. I got it for me. And I traded in my prides and joys (2 Sega Saturns, 2 Sony Playstations, 2 Nintendo 64s, a fully boxed SNES, Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo Gamecube) to pay for it.

With the controller, we only got ours before xmas for the Wii Fit and hadn't seen the controllers :oops:

The controllers are good, essential for Virtual Console games, but also very useful for Mario Kart Wii.

At the end of the day, I'm glad it's coming out on Wii because it will give the most people the chance to own it, I'll be able to own and play it, the only reason I might not buy it is if it turns out to be crap.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1092
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 12 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Feb 19 13:5421st Sep 14 13:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - 3 WORLD CLUBS 20 LEAGUES 19 CHALLENGE CUPS

//www.reddit.com/r/superleague

Re: Rugby League 3 (PS3) : Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm  
[quote="Fishsta"]I'm 30. I got it for me. And I traded in my prides and joys (2 Sega Saturns, 2 Sony Playstations, 2 Nintendo 64s, a fully boxed SNES, Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo Gamecube) to pay for it.
[quote]

That made me wince a bit :lol:

I bought it when it first came out and even though I loved it back then, over the past 6-12 months it's just gathered dust under the TV. Don't get me wrong I'm glad the RL game has come out for it as it gives me an excuse to dust it off but I'm glad I've got a 360 as well as there are so many more games for that that jump out at you as classics (BioShock, Portal, Assassin's Creed etc.) compared to relatively few on the Wii.

I see why Nintendo do it (£££) but it makes me sad to see the overreliance on the old stalwarts of Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc and if I see another Miley Cyrus' Horse Whispering-type game I may end up starting a rampage :SHOOT:
Previous