JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 03 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Feb 10 19:181st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

skolars v york : Sun May 24, 2009 7:07 pm  
6 -80...thank you york for turning up today, skolars certainly didnt!!!!!!

skolars played what i think was their worst game of the season.....ball handling- dreadful, missed tackles, awful, stupid passes and off loads...well!!!!!
Thorman, good game last week..this week ouch...his kicking game was well off....every re-start the kicked to the same corner of the pitch and of course york were ready for it. vary it abit..........yes i know a couple of times they knocked it on or out of play, but that was just luck, we didnt d anything with it.
our passing struggled to reach the players hands, balls went behind players, to the floor. trying to run everything up the middle and not getting the ball out wide quick enough. stick to the basics, simple rugby, clean passing and no silly showboating

A couple of the york's tries came of of forward passes, one was a dropped ball, another was after what seemed like a set of 8. but no getting away from it they beat us hands down. we did have a couple of close calls and matt thomas' try was well deserved. again cory was working hard as ever...does he run on batteries..? nice to see paul hayder back making some strong tackles. we were missing a few regulars but that is no excuse.

pics of the game
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 265e3e8fa8

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 6ca37c4232
6 -80...thank you york for turning up today, skolars certainly didnt!!!!!!

skolars played what i think was their worst game of the season.....ball handling- dreadful, missed tackles, awful, stupid passes and off loads...well!!!!!
Thorman, good game last week..this week ouch...his kicking game was well off....every re-start the kicked to the same corner of the pitch and of course york were ready for it. vary it abit..........yes i know a couple of times they knocked it on or out of play, but that was just luck, we didnt d anything with it.
our passing struggled to reach the players hands, balls went behind players, to the floor. trying to run everything up the middle and not getting the ball out wide quick enough. stick to the basics, simple rugby, clean passing and no silly showboating

A couple of the york's tries came of of forward passes, one was a dropped ball, another was after what seemed like a set of 8. but no getting away from it they beat us hands down. we did have a couple of close calls and matt thomas' try was well deserved. again cory was working hard as ever...does he run on batteries..? nice to see paul hayder back making some strong tackles. we were missing a few regulars but that is no excuse.

pics of the game
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 265e3e8fa8

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 6ca37c4232
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach295No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20 200716 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Feb 10 22:2610th Feb 10 01:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 pm  
That is a real shame after what happened last week away.
I dont know how people can pay good money to watch a team put out a performance like that.
The club really do need to ask the hard questions.
From the support the club got last week from supporters from other teams, this club was starting to be embrased by the heartlands however with more performances like today, the club will become the laughing stock of the league.
Hemel and St Albans would beat this lot, and maybe the skolars A would give them a run for their money.
Sort the mess out now, better recruitment and better coaching is in order if the club wishes to remain in this league.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Aug 20 07:4927th Apr 20 15:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
regards
and ENJOY your sport

Leaguefan

"The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller

: Mon May 25, 2009 8:01 am  
Keep the faith people, keep the faith.

Over all my years of watching the game, even the mighty have fallen and my own team has had many a tonking.

The players KNOW they can do it, the coach should as well.

Everyone knows when a team has given it's all and when they are going "though the motions".

The poor teams that give it their all will ALWAYS be admired by the opposition and the opposition fans but capitulation is never acceptable.

Take it as a one off.

Yes, the team may not be strong enough this season but with application and a cohesive structured agreed plan of action then next seaon could be a stepping stone.

I'll be there for the Friday Night Lights. I was impresed by the effort last year by ALL involved with the club and that needs to be transferred to the field.

Just get more beer in, More orderly system for the Bar b Que and it will be better.

Keep the faith,

I suggest there are far more RL followers who want you to succeed rather than fail!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 21 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Oct 12 08:228th Jun 12 18:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity!"

: Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 pm  
What people have to understand is that Skolars have tried the method of bringing overseas players to the club and it hasn't really worked in their favour. They were attracting guys who play footy back home and came to europe to travel so some players were missing part way through the season on holidays to Tenerife or Prague etc..

They've boldly decided, of which some will be due to finance, to develop from within and give experience to players from London. I think better links with Harlequins is a must if they are to push homegrown talent into the mix. It would benefit Harlequins too, a chance to give first team experience to a young academy lad while keeping a close eye on his development. Even training once a week with Harlequins and twice a week with Skolars would help him develop.

Something had to change, the club were going around in circles. Have faith that this will not happen overnight but be glad that a club outside the heartlands is trying to do things the right way. Maybe next season will see a few new faces to compliment what they already have.

It's not fair to blame Callum Irving, he's trying to develop what is already there and a win over Workington was more than what could be expected so he's achieving in his role.

Personally I think links with companies willing to provide full time jobs would be a massive bonus in London. It would be a carrot to dangle in the face of established semi-pro players as a reason to move to London. I'm surprised this hasn't been achieved already.

The clubs development system is already bearing fruit. Andre Vine and Smokie Junor were part of a fledgling under 14's back in 2005 and have now pulled on the Skolars first team jersey at just 17/18. It is working, slowly but surely and it is up to us to keep the faith.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach295No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20 200716 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Feb 10 22:2610th Feb 10 01:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri May 29, 2009 1:17 am  
Next Best- great post mate.
I agree with most of your comments.
I agree that Callum's way of bringing in more homegrown talent is good however using guys that have only played conference footy and expect them to play to Nat 2 standard is not going happen. The players are just not good enough at this level so in essence its alomost the same as recruiting Aussie park footballers.

Latham was sucessful in recruiting the right players to the club and building a decent squad.

Recruitment is the main issue here. A couple of quality imports in the right positions would be key. This needs to be sorted starting now so that these players are over here for pre-season training and they can get the right visas sorted.

Ex-skolars players within Oz and NZ should be used to recomend players not backpackers coming over for a couple of games. By doing this, your scouting network is widened and the good name of the skolars is used around players looking to come over to the UK to play.

Your idea of certain companies being used to provide jobs to recruit within the UK has some merit however might be tough now in these hard times that companies are facing. But a good idea none the less.

A better relationship with Quins is essential as most other clubs up north have access to loan players during the season however Skolars never have that benefit.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 28 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 10 16:2024th May 10 16:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 am  
Some years agao, when you were still North London and about to enter the league, I was staying at the Holiday Inn in Hemel when a number of your players and fans came in. They had been up to Widnes to play Halton Simms Cross in the Cup. I wished them well and I still hope that Skolars will come through to be a force in RL, albeit probably at no more than Championship level (though you never know). When you get canings like this season it can be hard, but there is a lot of goodwill towards your club.

With Hemel and St Albans close by, there is a nucleus of clubs that can, with a bit of luck, become very much part of the heartlands,but the trick is to get as many schools as possible playing.

Good luck.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 21 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Oct 12 08:228th Jun 12 18:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity!"

: Sat May 30, 2009 2:07 am  
Funnily enough just days later Quins loan 3 players to Skolars.

Lets hope they add a lot to the side and help some of their team-mates develop.

All three are very talented players and should go well at this level.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2532No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Oct 19 18:588th Oct 19 18:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am  
i think the thing to remember all the good ideas on this site are usually just good ideas so most people think them. we needed a change in RFL rules to allow this.