FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith - should he stay or should he go?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2300
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 30 201014 years194th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 20:1916th May 24 15:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:04 am  
Hullrealist wrote:
The players aren’t downing tools though, they’re just not good enough. And smiths reluctance to wrestle has capitulated that.

Even if Tony didn’t like the wrestle the players themselves can choose to do it if they know it works. I know they seem a bit thick but I doubt they just blindly follow instructions knowing it’ll lead to getting battered.
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach960
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years148th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:5416th May 24 21:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 am  
Departs with a record of Played 37, won 12, lost 25 (apologies if I've miscalculated). So, essentially one win in three over one and a quarter seasons. Not particularly inspiring.

What is odd is when you break his reign down a little.
2 wins in the first nine games, including seven defeats in a row.
9 wins in the next fourteen games, including victories over Wigan, Saints, Wire and an away derby win.
1 win in the last fourteen, and a fortuitous scrambled win at that over a part-time side!

After a slightly sticky start to his reign, especially Good Friday, we appeared to be making some progress at least, with something to build upon, which is what Smith has generally done throughout his coaching career.

But since last August we have been going backwards at such a rate it has become mind-blowing at how uncompetitive we have become. In the end I think he had to go, the current situation had simply become untenable, but our decline over fourteen games has been so rapid that it seems too simplistic to just point the finger at a head coach who appears to have lost his way and assume that there lies our problem.

Smith may have become A problem, but he sure as hell isn't the ONLY problem blighting our club. There are any number of issues requiring major surgery before we can even begin to think about challenging once more with the best. His removal had become the only viable option (something, somewhere had to change, we could not continue in this current vein much longer) but the days when simply changing the coach could magically transform a club's fortunes are long past. Clubs these days are too complex to be run as before.

I have no idea who we will turn to, or indeed who even wants the challenge, but this is not going to be an easy process. We have some many embedded problems right now, it will take a brave man who is prepared to take it on.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 18:3512th May 24 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 am  
First thoughts??? Well if you love HULL FC we needed some action to take place and I guess we got it however once again the Clubs communication of a massive occurrence is pretty woeful. However we will await the result of press requests for interviews etc with interest.

Personally I'm not sure it's the right decision in that who that is any better will come to the club. Will we go along with Grix who has become part of the problem by association, and who will be a cheap and cheerful fix? Will we find someone better than Smith whois willing to give up a good job to come to a club who year on year spends less and less on players, replacing good departures with less accomplished replacements, has a greatly disillusioned fan base, has a reputation for having players that get rid of coaches on a regular basis, has an owner who is obviously wanting out as he said the appointment of Smith would be his last as owner, who is struggling to negotiate a lease on their home ground and who is operating r in an environment that means even if you wanted to make wholesale changes where is the money to pay current players off and where is the market availability of quality replacements anyway??

Its a good job we love em!!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1407
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 09 200320 years273rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 14:1910th May 24 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whoever stands by a just cause and fights for the freedom and liberation of his land from the invaders, the settlers and the colonialists, cannot possibly be called terrorist."

— Yasser Arafat

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:22 am  
As good as Tony had been elsewhere. The murmurings about how he is or not coaching the team were worrying for me. Clifford's remarks about pre-season at Hull were particularly concerning.

A soft approach in pre-season is exactly what we didn't need. This probably goes some way to explaining the attitude the players have on match days.

Furthermore, we have seen no improvement in discipline, defense, attitude, fitness or injuries.

I really wanted Tony to be like Brian. But he is not. It's a shame.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3310
JoinedServiceReputation
May 12 201113 years164th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:4812th May 24 15:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
All men are created equal, some work harder in preseason.
-Emmitt Smith

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:26 am  
Club Statement: There will be further restructuring of the club in the coming days and we will update further in due course.

Seems ominous given the general malaise and hopelessness around the club :shock:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 200816 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 19:5616th May 24 19:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:33 am  
Tarquin Fuego wrote:
It was a personal email - nothing more than that
It’s unlikely I’d ever receive a personal email
again if I pop it on here breaking confidentiality etc

I don’t think any poster on here would post the email

Suffice to say I was hoping to spread some Easter cheer
After that shocker on GF

Fair play, Mr Fuego. I tip my hat to you, sir.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 18:3512th May 24 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:33 am  
At least with Smith been given the opportunity to comment as well its not been an acrimonious split and he hasn't been tied to a gagging order as is often the case. Perhaps he has realised that with the signings hand he has been dealt, the reduction in back room staff and the attitude of some of the players he could go no further either.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3573
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:0416th May 24 21:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 am  
[quote="the cal train"]Seems ominous given the general malaise and hopPearson did say Smith would be his last appointment.

Well Pearson did say Smith would be his last appointment so Tarquin's new investment rumours must be true :lol:
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach960
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years148th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:5416th May 24 21:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:38 am  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
First thoughts??? Well if you love HULL FC we needed some action to take place and I guess we got it however once again the Clubs communication of a massive occurrence is pretty woeful. However we will await the result of press requests for interviews etc with interest.

Personally I'm not sure it's the right decision in that who that is any better will come to the club. Will we go along with Grix who has become part of the problem by association, and who will be a cheap and cheerful fix? Will we find someone better than Smith whois willing to give up a good job to come to a club who year on year spends less and less on players, replacing good departures with less accomplished replacements, has a greatly disillusioned fan base, has a reputation for having players that get rid of coaches on a regular basis, has an owner who is obviously wanting out as he said the appointment of Smith would be his last as owner, who is struggling to negotiate a lease on their home ground and who is operating r in an environment that means even if you wanted to make wholesale changes where is the money to pay current players off and where is the market availability of quality replacements anyway??

Its a good job we love em!!!

I too have mixed feelings about the decision. For all we know all Pearson has done today, with the removal of Smith, is to dig the hole we in a little deeper, to bury us even further!

I honestly don't know what to think any more. As a club, we look so directionless none of us know any more which way we are facing let alone which direction we are supposed to be travelling in!

As much as I feel something had to change, we couldn't go on as we were for much longer as it was slowly killing the club, I do wonder if every decision we make turns out ultimately to be yet another wrong turning.

Something was palpably wrong at the club, and something had to change, but what if the end result of this is we end up with, say, the current assistant coach from Keighley at the head, due to money constraints! We could be out of the frying pan and into a burning inferno by next year.

I will wait and see how this pans out, but I honestly have absolutely no idea of where our club is going any more, and I reckon neither does Pearson, think he is out of ideas as well as money. He staked everything on Smith being the answer and now it's blown up I don't think he knows where to go or who to turn to next in order to drag us out of the ever deepening hole we now find ourselves in.
OmneFC 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1051
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 12 200717 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 14:3916th May 24 12:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:41 am  
PreviousNext