FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

   WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm  
Certainly not the start we wanted. Wasn't really in the game last night. Our forwards did ok but am afraid our backs where way off. I still think we have the man in charge to turn it round. Total madness to even think of him going.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 pm  
RockNRolla wrote:
100%.. Nowhere near cap. 500k under is the figure i've heard.


Certainly doesn’t look like we are anywhere near the cap limit and if we actually are then there’s something massively wrong in our recruitment and over paying massively.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:41 pm  
Based on last night I'd say we have three really pressing issues that we need to resolve. Number one, and it obvious, but our discipline is very poor. I actually think the pack can go OK for us, individually they all showed flashes of decent stuff, but they have to sort out the discipline and channel their aggression the right way.

Number two, our back three are just not big and strong enough. Lewis Martin did ok, but the other two were dominated in every single collision. If we can find a way to get Okunbor on the wing I would definitely be doing that. It wouldn't solve all our problems there but at least it's a big body to cart the ball up for us.

Number three, and the most worrying is that we don't seem to have half backs, and that's only compounded by Walker who isn't a creative FB. Hoy has to start at 1 for me, get Brown at hooker, and I would seriously be thinking about putting Jack Charles in there with Smith until Trueman comes back. I know its a lot to ask of the kid but at least he has the right skill set and isn't a square peg in a round hole.

I'm not abandoning all hope yet, it's only one game, but last night did highlight some glaring issues and we need to do something about them.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:58 pm  
Mr. Zucchini Head wrote:
Based on last night I'd say we have three really pressing issues that we need to resolve. Number one, and it obvious, but our discipline is very poor. I actually think the pack can go OK for us, individually they all showed flashes of decent stuff, but they have to sort out the discipline and channel their aggression the right way.

Number two, our back three are just not big and strong enough. Lewis Martin did ok, but the other two were dominated in every single collision. If we can find a way to get Okunbor on the wing I would definitely be doing that. It wouldn't solve all our problems there but at least it's a big body to cart the ball up for us.

Number three, and the most worrying is that we don't seem to have half backs, and that's only compounded by Walker who isn't a creative FB. Hoy has to start at 1 for me, get Brown at hooker, and I would seriously be thinking about putting Jack Charles in there with Smith until Trueman comes back. I know its a lot to ask of the kid but at least he has the right skill set and isn't a square peg in a round hole.

I'm not abandoning all hope yet, it's only one game, but last night did highlight some glaring issues and we need to do something about them.


The lack of not just quality in the halves but the actual lack halves is a huge problem for us and it was glaringly obvious last night.
Doesn’t matter in a sense how good the forwards are when we have nothing in terms of creating or using the platform created.
We never looked anywhere close to scoring

Whilst we look weak in the backs I think there’s enough there to work on that can improve us there but again with the halves we have very little in terms of the ability to link it all together.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:26 pm  
The only plus point for me last night was the team didn't give up. However when you have no cohesion in attack your defence can only stand up to so much. We seem to have taken that step back of playing hookers and fullbacks as halfbacks yet again. I thought with Smith we would not go down the route of trying to place square pegs in round holes and that the youth would be brought into fill injuries etc. Maybe that will happen as the season progresses because we clearly cannot continue to playing players out of position when they are putting in sub par performances.
My big worry is that with every game being televised this season we will soon lose any walk ups who will not be tempted to come and watch abject performances over and over again when they can watch it in the comfort of their homes or in the pub.
Before the season started I was hoping for mid table mediocrity but on that first performance I think we are looking at a dogfight at the bottom with London.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:34 pm  
bonaire wrote:
I know we are running with no halfbacks but to have a backline of McIntosh,Scott,litten and Martin must surely make us the laughing stock of S/L
Tuimavave and Sutcliffe on paper sounds a bit better but in reality they are no worldbeaters
I also have to say im not convinced with Smith.he is too laid back.We need passion that drives the players and he seems unable to stop the on field indiscipline.
Smith was in his past years a top coach but are we seeing any improvement on the field since he arrived and you have to say no.
Think the game has passed him by


So what you want rid of smith?
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:42 pm  
The games afoot wrote:
So what you want rid of smith?


Personally think he will walk when Pearson starts to get on his back.
Cant say im impressed with what i have seen so far on the pitch under his leadership.
If he cant solve the on field indiscipine then you have to wonder what goes on behind the scenes.
If the new culture within the club is what we all witnessed last night then he certainly is not the right man for the job.
Cant deny his success in the past but maybe we have wrongly bought into that past success and now in his later years his passion for the game has gone in this new era of rugby league.
We will wait and see but the future for the club from both a financial point of view and a playing point of view is dire,and just waiting wishing and hoping that several of the younger reserve and academy players become S/L quality is hardly going to catapult us into a Wigan or Saints.
You have to have a balance in the team but quality is essential and this current squad its quality that is missing.
As i previously said if you look at our backline last night we are the laughing stock of S/L
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:00 am  
bonaire wrote:
If he cant solve the on field indiscipine then you have to wonder what goes on behind the scenes.
If the new culture within the club is what we all witnessed last night then he certainly is not the right man for the job.

For me, sorting out the indiscipline has to be the no 1 priority. Fix that and then work on the rest of the faults/omissions.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:11 am  
mk_fc wrote:
For me, sorting out the indiscipline has to be the no 1 priority. Fix that and then work on the rest of the faults/omissions.

The discipline is the key for me and thr errors, I was worried mainly from a defensive point of view but given the amount of possession and territory rovers had I though we stood up well, especially given they have some very good backs and halves, I thought our backline would be absolutely shredded but they held their own for the most part.
Re: So it all starts. Next Up HULL KR : Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:42 am  
bonaire wrote:
Personally think he will walk when Pearson starts to get on his back.
Cant say im impressed with what i have seen so far on the pitch under his leadership.
If he cant solve the on field indiscipine then you have to wonder what goes on behind the scenes.
If the new culture within the club is what we all witnessed last night then he certainly is not the right man for the job.
Cant deny his success in the past but maybe we have wrongly bought into that past success and now in his later years his passion for the game has gone in this new era of rugby league.
We will wait and see but the future for the club from both a financial point of view and a playing point of view is dire,and just waiting wishing and hoping that several of the younger reserve and academy players become S/L quality is hardly going to catapult us into a Wigan or Saints.
You have to have a balance in the team but quality is essential and this current squad its quality that is missing.
As i previously said if you look at our backline last night we are the laughing stock of S/L


Think you make some fair and valid points.

What is a worry for me is that like Hodgson, Smith has been here a year and had a complete off season to make improvements in the basics and discipline. Given the experience of Smith it’s not to much to expect to have seen a fair degree change/improvement.
From what we saw on Thursday it’s like Groundhog Day with discipline as poor as ever.

We may not have the quality but that doesn’t excuse the ill discipline and errors.

Fans will & do accept defeats but it’s when we see the same issues that bite us hard season after season going unresolved you begin to question everything. Let’s face it we’ve gone through Coaches and now players yet we still seem to have the same old issues ingrained.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC