FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Huddersfield Giants 6 - 18 Wigan Warriors LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Marshall Try, Smith Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Huddersfield (H)
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player429No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 20231 year152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 08:1510th May 24 08:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:55 pm  
The last 2pages has been the best I have read on here for a long time.the link mild rover produced for the fainaces of all clubs made intresting reading.we seemed to to come out of 2022 not to badly but how much are the Covid repayments back to the government.I don’t think we arere as skint as some “posters”make out and maybe Pearson is thinking il see how Smith goes as he has had his fingers burned with the resigng of fonoua and the signings of Reynolds’s and Evans all on massive money and gale wouldn’t have been cheap and Gerri g sod all inreturn.Pearson does take the blame as well for ok the deals it what was whispered in is ear by the coaches at the time.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7078No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 00:2610th May 24 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:38 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Yes, agree with this.

As you say, money makes the world go round, without it any business will struggle, rather obviously! Having a superior budget to your competitors is a big advantage to maintaining your position at the head of your given sector.

However, it isn't the be and end all, especially in the realm of sport. Money alone will not buy you guaranteed success, unless your budget is so superior to your competitors that they simply cannot operate to the same parameters as you. The money invested in Warrington's current squad has borne little fruit in recent times. Going back to pre-SL, Leeds seemed to suffer similar problems throughout the 1980s, when substantial investment in the playing roster year on year throughout the decade only ever seemed to produce under-performing teams. It took a combination of Gary Hetherington and Tony Smith in the early 2000s to change the attitude of the entire club, thereby instilling a winning mentality which carried them through a period of sustained success.

Your point about Saints refreshing their squad is particularly relevant to our predicament as it is something we have singularly failed to do over many years. Since 1985 we have had three periods were we threatened to put ourselves back on top (1989-91, 2004-06, 2016-17) only to fall back into mid-table mediocrity very quickly. One of the chief factors in these very swift declines was our inability to refresh the squad each year (although financial considerations undoubtedly played their part in 91/92). Saints, along with Wigan, are the masters of slowly reinventing their squads without it having any detrimental effect to their chances of winning silverware year on year as they rebuild, therefore their dominance always seems to be seamless with no breaks until you realise they have a different team from the one they had five years ago, as you point out above.

It's not just in RL this is the case either. Liverpool and Man Utd both largely dominated football for twenty years apiece, partly as a result of their ability to recognise when to move players on and replace them with quality substitutes, a trait Man City currently exhibit, although having a budget of a around £1 billion sure helps. But even then, if money is the be all and end all, why haven't Man Utd, the so called self-styled 'biggest club in the world' being floundering for the past ten years and counting!

So, I reckon it's a combination of the two. Any club needs a healthy budget to succeed, but it has to be backed up with a coherent winning culture in order to lead to real sustained success. Either way, we seem to lacking on both of those fronts right now.

what you failed to mention in your football comparision is that the teams mentioned had good managers and that goes for Rugby League also.
A good coach in Rugby League can turn a team round or build a competitive team with average players like Brian Smith did with us.
Luck or bad luck also plays a part .
Peter Gentle would in my opinion have become a very good coach at this club but had a lot of bad luck which was nothing to do with his ability as a coach
RankPostsTeam
International Star7078No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 00:2610th May 24 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:40 pm  
Steve0 wrote:
I think Hurrell and Bell are good examples of saints culture, if we'd have signed them, they'd likely have taken shortcuts / the lazy option in training and games and not stood out in our team whereas at saints there's no room to hide and average players become good players because they buy in to the system and raise their standards to not let their team mates down, we don't quite have that culture yet

Thats why teams need a Gaz Ellis type of player in their squad who leads from the front both in training and on the pitch
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player589No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20204 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 07:5810th May 24 18:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:55 pm  
bonaire wrote:
Thats why teams need a Gaz Ellis type of player in their squad who leads from the front both in training and on the pitch

Completely agree, we're crying out for some leadership on the field, someone vocal who can set the standards for the squad, you look at all of the best teams they have those characters in their squads the likes of Roby and Lomax at saints, Farrell at Wigan, Tomkins and Pearce at Cats. We don't seem to have anyone who talks on the field, the players stand behind the posts with their hands on their hips silent.
Steve0 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1893No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 03 200321 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 16:0011th May 24 13:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:47 pm  
Yippee try yay wrote:
Completely agree, we're crying out for some leadership on the field, someone vocal who can set the standards for the squad, you look at all of the best teams they have those characters in their squads the likes of Roby and Lomax at saints, Farrell at Wigan, Tomkins and Pearce at Cats. We don't seem to have anyone who talks on the field, the players stand behind the posts with their hands on their hips silent.

Dont forget the headshake in bemusement as to how they let another try in after training well all week
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach950
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:2510th May 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:32 am  
Yippee try yay wrote:

Yes, but I believe this concept/idea of on field leadership is underpinned by the culture which is embedded within those clubs. The players have that attitude during game time because that is how those clubs go about their business in all aspects of their operations on a day to day week to week basis. A culture which states that they aim to be the best at what they do, at all times, in all aspects of how the club operates.

I would agree that the players you cite above are important in how they implement this attitude, but as other posters have mentioned in this discussion, virtually all the other team members at these top clubs also buy into this attitude, most likely a case of shape up or ship out?

Conversely, it's because that culture does not exist at our club that we see games like Saturday where the towel goes in and it's tools down boys! It is difficult to maintain a commitment to high standards during game-time when the work group doesn't particularly adhere to that concept in the rest of the week.

I think most of us on here are in agreement that the underlying cause of a lot of our problems in recent years comes from this attitude of 'that'll do' which seems to run through the club from top to bottom. All the indications are that the club simply isn't committed (or doesn't know how) to the same high level of striving and achieving that those top clubs have, and until we alter this underpinning mind set we will continue to fall short.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 19 200618 years202nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 17:018th May 24 17:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I couldn't hear the robin sing if not for you.

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:50 pm  
At Rovers it took us a while to realise that Tony Smith is yesterdays man. You'll arrive at the same place eventually.
Last edited by His Bobness on Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16930No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 20:286th May 24 20:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:04 pm  
His Bobness wrote:
At Rovers it took us a while to realise that Tony Smith is yesterdays man. You'll get there eventually.

I dont remember any of you saying that when he got you 80mins from a Grand Final and CC final, things only went sour when he announced he was leaving at the end of the season which never goes well when a coach announces that
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach950
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:2510th May 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:18 pm  
His Bobness wrote:
At Rovers it took us a while to realise that Tony Smith is yesterdays man. You'll arrive at the same place eventually.

Genuine question to you.

How do you know that the relatively successful season you are having isn't down to the fact that Willie Peters has been able to build on some solid foundations which were put down by Tony Smith?

Now it may well be that Peters has come into your club and told everyone 'forget everything you have been doing these past three years, this is the only way forward from here on in', but I have my doubts that is the case here!

The fact that the likes of McGuire and Hodgson worked under both regimes suggests a certain amount of continuity at rovers. Your club was on a fast track to nowhere before Smith took up the post, he clearly improved matters to some degree as evidenced by the fact that he took you to within 80 minutes of both major cup finals (a fact I've noticed you are reticent to acknowledge, presumably because it doesn't fit your current narrative!).

Unless you work at rovers on a day to day basis, you have no real idea of how much of this season is down to either Peters being a completely new broom, or (more likely) the fact that he inherited at least a solid ground, from which he has been able to implement his own ideas without the need to do the groundwork which tends to be required at any club rebuild.

Tony Smith has, unfortunately, inherited another Hull club which requires rebuilding from the ground up. Whether he is successful here remains to be seen, but your dismissal of any work he did whilst in rovers employment is at best disingenuous, or at worst playing blind with facts.

Peters has undoubtedly done well this season, but I repeat, you don't know (or have chosen to ignore) what the situation at your club was like when he first walked through the door, you were hardly a basket case, which was quite possibly the situation when TS took up the offer to coach there.

Like I first said, this is a genuine serious question to you, I'm not baiting or looking to score cheap points over you. As a black & white I am hardly in a strong position at the moment to play those kind of cat and mouse games, am I!!!
Steve0 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1893No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 03 200321 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 16:0011th May 24 13:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield (H) : Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:38 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Genuine question to you.

How do you know that the relatively successful season you are having isn't down to the fact that Willie Peters has been able to build on some solid foundations which were put down by Tony Smith?

Now it may well be that Peters has come into your club and told everyone 'forget everything you have been doing these past three years, this is the only way forward from here on in', but I have my doubts that is the case here!

The fact that the likes of McGuire and Hodgson worked under both regimes suggests a certain amount of continuity at rovers. Your club was on a fast track to nowhere before Smith took up the post, he clearly improved matters to some degree as evidenced by the fact that he took you to within 80 minutes of both major cup finals (a fact I've noticed you are reticent to acknowledge, presumably because it doesn't fit your current narrative!).

Unless you work at rovers on a day to day basis, you have no real idea of how much of this season is down to either Peters being a completely new broom, or (more likely) the fact that he inherited at least a solid ground, from which he has been able to implement his own ideas without the need to do the groundwork which tends to be required at any club rebuild.

Tony Smith has, unfortunately, inherited another Hull club which requires rebuilding from the ground up. Whether he is successful here remains to be seen, but your dismissal of any work he did whilst in rovers employment is at best disingenuous, or at worst playing blind with facts.

Peters has undoubtedly done well this season, but I repeat, you don't know (or have chosen to ignore) what the situation at your club was like when he first walked through the door, you were hardly a basket case, which was quite possibly the situation when TS took up the offer to coach there.

Like I first said, this is a genuine serious question to you, I'm not baiting or looking to score cheap points over you. As a black & white I am hardly in a strong position at the moment to play those kind of cat and mouse games, am I!!!

Ryan Hall did say in his post match interview after the Salford game that it's the fittest the squad has been in recent years which is interesting given rovers league position and Tony's 'undercooked' approach to the start of our season
PreviousNext