JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:319th May 24 13:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:36 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Saw New Order at Tower in 81/82, around the time they released Movement. It was one of the worst gigs I have ever seen in my whole life (and I've stood and watched a few dodgy bands in my time). They were in one of their we-can't-be-bothered-tonight moods. Peter Hook stood with his back to the audience for most of the (short) set.

Conversely, at Manchester Gmex in 1986, they produced a sky-scraping set which painted the heavens, concluding with a version of Temptation which threatened to raze the arena to the ground. I still recall walking out utterly stunned at the power and majesty of what I had just witnessed :)

That was the thing with New Order, you never quite knew what mood they would be in (archetypal contrary Mancs!!) or what they were about to serve up for your night's entertainment. You paid your money and you took your chance with them!

Any comparisons made between one of the UK's finest ever individualistic bands and a certain RL club not a million miles from here, is purely coincidental, but sometimes like souls find each other.

One thing's for sure, today is definitely a 'Blue Monday' for the faithful on here :(
And, on that pre-programmed note, I'll get my coat as well :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was involved in promoting them on their next visit to Hull at the City Hall on 16-08-84 pretty long set too. I seem to remember I enjoyed it. I guess as far as FC are concerned we have to have 'True Faith' ....... I'll join you :EH: :oops: :oops:
RankPostsTeam
International Star3518
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:5311th May 24 17:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:15 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Saw New Order at Tower in 81/82, around the time they released Movement. It was one of the worst gigs I have ever seen in my whole life (and I've stood and watched a few dodgy bands in my time). They were in one of their we-can't-be-bothered-tonight moods. Peter Hook stood with his back to the audience for most of the (short) set.

Conversely, at Manchester Gmex in 1986, they produced a sky-scraping set which painted the heavens, concluding with a version of Temptation which threatened to raze the arena to the ground. I still recall walking out utterly stunned at the power and majesty of what I had just witnessed :)

That was the thing with New Order, you never quite knew what mood they would be in (archetypal contrary Mancs!!) or what they were about to serve up for your night's entertainment. You paid your money and you took your chance with them!

Any comparisons made between one of the UK's finest ever individualistic bands and a certain RL club not a million miles from here, is purely coincidental, but sometimes like souls find each other.

One thing's for sure, today is definitely a 'Blue Monday' for the faithful on here :(
And, on that pre-programmed note, I'll get my coat as well :oops: :oops: :oops:

Talking about Manc bands I thought I was hearing things when they played "This Charming Man" by The Smiths during the half time play list :D
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 02 20222 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:544th Sep 23 13:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:15 pm  
Got to be 5 8 6. Our wins, draws and losses after the first 19 games next season.
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12492
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200914 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:5011th May 24 18:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:55 pm  
I want a "Bizarre Love Triangle".
I can think of one poster on here who would adequately fit the bill.
I'm struggling to think of a third.....

☆Just had a revisit, that intro is still banging like.
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach950
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:2510th May 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:42 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
I was involved in promoting them on their next visit to Hull at the City Hall on 16-08-84 pretty long set too. I seem to remember I enjoyed it. I guess as far as FC are concerned we have to have 'True Faith' ....... I'll join you :EH: :oops: :oops:

Yeah, I was there for that one as well. Think it was around the time of 'Thieves Like Us' if I recall.

Can't remember too much of the night (39 years ago, my God!!!), but seem to recall they were in a far more relaxed mood than they had been that night at Tower. Mind you, who wasn't in a bad mood when they were unfortunate enough to be spending an evening at The Tower (not exactly the finest advert for the fair city!).

They were my favourite band throughout the eighties and saw them numerous times during the decade in various places. Like I said earlier, you were never sure what would happen with them from gig to gig, usually dependent on their mood.

I think they relaxed a bit post Blue Monday as people began to view them as a band in their own right as opposed to the oppressive weight of being Joy Division part 2 in a lot of people's eyes.

Like the True Faith quip, nice one, God knows the patience of some us on here is being sorely tested this week!!!
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach950
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:2510th May 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:49 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
Talking about Manc bands I thought I was hearing things when they played "This Charming Man" by The Smiths during the half time play list :D

Yeah, that stopped me in my tracks as well!! It came across as frankly bizarre!!!
Almost as bizarre as Rick Astley doing an entire set of Smiths covers at this year's Glastonbury, think it was in one of the smaller tented stages, not on the main one.
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12492
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200914 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:5011th May 24 18:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:56 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Yeah, I was there for that one as well. Think it was around the time of 'Thieves Like Us' if I recall.

Can't remember too much of the night (39 years ago, my God!!!), but seem to recall they were in a far more relaxed mood than they had been that night at Tower. Mind you, who wasn't in a bad mood when they were unfortunate enough to be spending an evening at The Tower (not exactly the finest advert for the fair city!).

They were my favourite band throughout the eighties and saw them numerous times during the decade in various places. Like I said earlier, you were never sure what would happen with them from gig to gig, usually dependent on their mood.

I think they relaxed a bit post Blue Monday as people began to view them as a band in their own right as opposed to the oppressive weight of being Joy Division part 2 in a lot of people's eyes.

Like the True Faith quip, nice one, God knows the patience of some us on here is being sorely tested this week!!!

I had the pleasure of them at Finsbury Park 20 odd years ago seeing I was residing down in Londinium at the time.
Well, it would have been rude not too, wouldnt it? :D
Mental day.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain785No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 20159 years164th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:0411th May 24 18:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:05 pm  
joy division were a great band,preferred them to new order.sad about ian curtis.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7232No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:319th May 24 13:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:16 pm  
WIZEB wrote:
I had the pleasure of them at Finsbury Park 20 odd years ago seeing I was residing down in Londinium at the time.
Well, it would have been rude not too, wouldnt it? :D
Mental day.

I know this is going off topic but they were a real peoples band. The band hired the City Hall from the council (no agents) and on that tour, they didn't allow any comp tickets all just £5 (rock bottom price), if I remember rightly all the bands on the bill mucked in together in one dressing room (no elitism at all) and I remember having to draw the line when they didn't want to use backstage passes and let the audience back there before the gig. most bizarrely of all they insisted that there were to be no Merchandising sales in the venue. Instead they encouraged the bootleggers outside who followed them from gig to gig and set up a small market in Victoria Square selling T shirts hoodies etc as well as quite amazingly bootleg recordings of the bands previous concerts. I was involved with over 150 gigs at the Hall and I remember that one as one of the strangest. Great show though. Not much happening rugby wise is there :D :D. I'll be getting an off topic reminder from the mods any time
RankPostsTeam
International Star3518
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:5311th May 24 17:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:31 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Yeah, that stopped me in my tracks as well!! It came across as frankly bizarre!!!
Almost as bizarre as
Rick Astley doing an entire set of Smiths covers
at this year's Glastonbury, think it was in one of the smaller tented stages, not on the main one.

Astley belting out "Girlfriend in a coma"

This country is ruined. :lol:
PreviousNext