FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 16 - 0 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Batchelor Try, Not Converted
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - re-structure
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4591
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:2828th Mar 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:14 pm  
Considering how Sky are constantly reducing the money they give the game, how are they able to dictate the make up of the game?!
RankPostsTeam
International Star2277
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:1328th Mar 24 13:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:33 am  
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
For what Sky pay I think they've got a bargain. The standard of the competition has undoubtedly been compromised by covid and Sky have used this this as a bargaining chip to pay less. It hardly does a great job promoting upcoming fixtures itself.

OK RL doesn't help itself sometimes but it still remains the best sport to watch on TV by a country mile.

Sky must have invested a massive amount securing the rights for the British Lions tour. The hype for the tour was incredible. Wall to wall coverage. I'm not a Union fan but watched the tests out of interest like many others probably did. The quality of the games were terrible. Even die hard Union said it was rubbish. 5 minutes scrums, kick tennis all pile in then penalty scrum kick repeat. There was little running and passing in fact the ball was hardly in play. That game is a mess. How people can watch that rubbish is beyond me.

Ah but there lies the rub. People do watch it it and terrestrial tv would have bid for it but Sky can outbid them. We have to get it into our thick heads that RL professionally is based on the M62 corridor and no one else is interested. Media coverage is at an all time low unless it’s a bad story. No Sky dosh, no Super League, simples.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7776
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:0729th Mar 24 12:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:27 am  
Armavinit wrote:
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
For what Sky pay I think they've got a bargain. The standard of the competition has undoubtedly been compromised by covid and Sky have used this this as a bargaining chip to pay less. It hardly does a great job promoting upcoming fixtures itself.

OK RL doesn't help itself sometimes but it still remains the best sport to watch on TV by a country mile.

Sky must have invested a massive amount securing the rights for the British Lions tour. The hype for the tour was incredible. Wall to wall coverage. I'm not a Union fan but watched the tests out of interest like many others probably did. The quality of the games were terrible. Even die hard Union said it was rubbish. 5 minutes scrums, kick tennis all pile in then penalty scrum kick repeat. There was little running and passing in fact the ball was hardly in play. That game is a mess. How people can watch that rubbish is beyond me.

Ah but there lies the rub. People do watch it it and terrestrial tv would have bid for it but Sky can outbid them. We have to get it into our thick heads that RL professionally is based on the M62 corridor and no one else is interested. Media coverage is at an all time low unless it’s a bad story. No Sky dosh, no Super League, simples.

Sadly you pretty much sum it up in regards to the sports situation. Whilst SKY are the paymasters its the RFL and Super League (Europe) Ltd that are at fault which is pretty much the clubs themselves.

The promotion of the sport is very poorly done and all the changes with structures, formats the crazy ways they've wasted money and opportunities such as the Stobart and Papa John deals are just prime examples. Its a professional sport run seemingly run by amateurs and no wonder Elston got no where at SL when theres no one in overall charge to make the decisions for the good of the game just all the clubs thinking inwardly.

Sadly until that mindset changes and they structure things at the top differently to allow and enable the sport to grow it will continue to fail. I'm not a fan of the Hearns but you can't deny they have turned darts and snooker from pub pastimes in to main stream sports generating media coverage, sponsorship and revenue. So that shows you what can be done and with RL as a much more exciting and entertaining sport than those two the mind boggles as to why the supposed business men can't see it, but they don't want to let go of any of it and woukd rather keep 100% of very little then give a percentage away for an increase in revenue, exposure and sponsorship.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1332
JoinedServiceReputation
May 02 201014 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:4626th Mar 24 09:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:41 am  
Chris71 wrote:
Sadly you pretty much sum it up in regards to the sports situation. Whilst SKY are the paymasters its the RFL and Super League (Europe) Ltd that are at fault which is pretty much the clubs themselves.

The promotion of the sport is very poorly done and all the changes with structures, formats the crazy ways they've wasted money and opportunities such as the Stobart and Papa John deals are just prime examples. Its a professional sport run seemingly run by amateurs and no wonder Elston got no where at SL when theres no one in overall charge to make the decisions for the good of the game just all the clubs thinking inwardly.

Sadly until that mindset changes and they structure things at the top differently to allow and enable the sport to grow it will continue to fail. I'm not a fan of the Hearns but you can't deny they have turned darts and snooker from pub pastimes in to main stream sports generating media coverage, sponsorship and revenue. So that shows you what can be done and with RL as a much more exciting and entertaining sport than those two the mind boggles as to why the supposed business men can't see it, but they don't want to let go of any of it and woukd rather keep 100% of very little then give a percentage away for an increase in revenue, exposure and sponsorship.

I agree, Barry Hearn has marketed snooker and darts really well.

Rugby League could also learn from cricket. That’s a sport that keeps re-inventing itself. Most home Test Matches sell out on the first few days; they’ve introduced Twenty 20 to great success; then create The Hundred. Personally I prefer Test Cricket, but I recently went to a Hundred match and they’ve reached out to a new younger audience by holding it each day in the summer holidays, live DJ’s at each match and created a whole new revenue stream. All App based info and ticketing, I now keep get notifications each evening prompting me with that night’s fixture, which sometimes results in me watching some of a game that would normally not have tuned in to.

As others have said, we have one of the best sports, but we also have the worst Administration and Marketing.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:2225th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 pm  
For me, snooker and county cricket in recent years are more cautionary tales than examples to follow.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1400No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 18 201410 years65th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 07:3129th Mar 24 11:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm  
It's all money and power ain't it. Common sense and growing the game sadly comes second, as those who hold the reins fret about losing an ounce of power and a slice of the cake so to speak.

Sky are a double edged sword, without them Rugby leagues screwed, but they've also turned into abit of a parasite in a way, they seem obsessed with getting rugby league broadcasting rights for next to nothing while trying more and more to dictate the structure, with their ideas being a long way from what the general rugby league fan wants.

Didn't BT bid previously for broadcasting rights?

I'd suggest the Rfl, enter discussions with broadcasters like Dazn who are great for the boxing and alternative broadcasters and call Sky's bluff as they seem an abusive partner.

Also if Sky want a better quality product (the reason for the restructuring) (and threats to pull the plug) give rugby league a better broadcasting deal and pump cash into the sport an increase in salary cap would attract better players across the league. And strengthen clubs infrastructures.

I think we're hamstrung by the rfl though, need to be bought out by the nrl and a total revamp. While the rfl have the power this games going nowhere.

Google the board members for the rfl and read the profiles, your wonder how some are sat on a rfl board, making rugby based decisions
RankPostsTeam
International Star6835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 01:0928th Mar 24 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:57 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
For me, snooker and county cricket in recent years are more cautionary tales than examples to follow.

they are like watching paint dry
RankPostsTeam
International Star6835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 01:0928th Mar 24 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:10 pm  
Rocknrolla69er wrote:
It's all money and power ain't it. Common sense and growing the game sadly comes second, as those who hold the reins fret about losing an ounce of power and a slice of the cake so to speak.

Sky are a double edged sword, without them Rugby leagues screwed, but they've also turned into abit of a parasite in a way, they seem obsessed with getting rugby league broadcasting rights for next to nothing while trying more and more to dictate the structure, with their ideas being a long way from what the general rugby league fan wants.

Didn't BT bid previously for broadcasting rights?

I'd suggest the Rfl, enter discussions with broadcasters like Dazn who are great for the boxing and alternative broadcasters and call Sky's bluff as they seem an abusive partner.

Also if Sky want a better quality product (the reason for the restructuring) (and threats to pull the plug) give rugby league a better broadcasting deal and pump cash into the sport an increase in salary cap would attract better players across the league. And strengthen clubs infrastructures.

I think we're hamstrung by the rfl though, need to be bought out by the nrl and a total revamp. While the rfl have the power this games going nowhere.

Google the board members for the rfl and read the profiles, your wonder how some are sat on a rfl board, making rugby based decisions

Hit the nail on the head about Sky but they are now a noose around the neck of Rugby League with them controlling us.
I have said previously we may have to take two steps backwards in terms of income to get rid of Sky buts its terrestrial TV that will grow this sport not Sky .Unfortunately as you say until we can get get rid of the current RFL it wont happen.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21398
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 25 200321 years7th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 20:3929th Mar 24 12:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:49 pm  
Rocknrolla69er wrote:

Yes, great idea if you want viewing figures for games of about 10,000.

We need Sky Sports whether we like it or not but we need a deal that allows some live games on terrestrial TV e.g. Sundays on C4 or ITV4.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1400No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 18 201410 years65th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 07:3129th Mar 24 11:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: re-structure : Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:15 pm  
ComeOnYouUll wrote:
Yes, great idea if you want viewing figures for games of about 10,000.

We need Sky Sports whether we like it or not but we need a deal that allows some live games on terrestrial TV e.g. Sundays on C4 or ITV4.

Then why isn't terrestrial TV getting involved?

Which is why I've suggested alternatives, at the end of the day, footballs broadcast over several broadcasters BT, Amazon prime, sky TV etc. I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility saying to sky you can have 75% at this price, then selling the rest to BT etc.

I'd even try to negotiate with a broadcaster like Dazn for ppv per match, like our league did in a fashion.

Fact is we need to stand up to sky, and get tough
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV games not Wire
karetaker
1m
The Good Friday Derby Massacre
Plum Bob
1m
Game - Song Titles