Jul 10 200222 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Mar 24 11:4628th Mar 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Shane Richardson’s plan for the game : Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:16 am  
https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/spor ... ul-3305527

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.
Really not sure what the future of the game is in a post covid landscape, but a 10 team top tier would be the death knell for me, irrespective of the rest of his ideas.

Warrington are cashed up, but not a big club. They just happen to have a rich owner at this moment in time.
“A club from Hull” is also an interesting quote.

In an ideal world, more teams would be in Super League, as a 12 team league is tedious enough, but that will never happen now.
https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/spor ... ul-3305527

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.
Really not sure what the future of the game is in a post covid landscape, but a 10 team top tier would be the death knell for me, irrespective of the rest of his ideas.

Warrington are cashed up, but not a big club. They just happen to have a rich owner at this moment in time.
“A club from Hull” is also an interesting quote.

In an ideal world, more teams would be in Super League, as a 12 team league is tedious enough, but that will never happen now.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:0524th Mar 24 08:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shane Richardson’s plan for the game : Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:49 pm  
Self evident that 10 teams means one or fewer clubs from Hull. The sport is not viable right now and the last go at this was half-arsed. Change must happen - whether in this way or not.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4591
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shane Richardson’s plan for the game : Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:58 pm  
The last two season will definitely be a catalyst for change good or (probably) bad. Just not sure RL supporters have the stomach for it anymore.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11536
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200519 years141st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:4423rd Mar 24 16:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Mrs Barista wrote:
Self evident that 10 teams means one or fewer clubs from Hull. The sport is not viable right now and the last go at this was half-arsed. Change must happen - whether in this way or not.

going to cause a huge poop storm deciding which clubs go, do we relegate the bottom 3 and promote the championship winners through their grand final, block promotion and just drop the bottom 2?

make or break next couple of years, id like 14 teams, but owners wont be willing to split an ever reducing cash pot even more!

Owners of some SL clubs wont give up their power easily!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:0524th Mar 24 08:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

number 6 wrote:
going to cause a huge poop storm deciding which clubs go, do we relegate the bottom 3 and promote the championship winners through their grand final, block promotion and just drop the bottom 2?

make or break next couple of years, id like 14 teams, but owners wont be willing to split an ever reducing cash pot even more!

If there's a restructure, 2021 league positions will count for very little. There would be principles applied overlaid with a franchise style assessment on a number of criteria to decide the final 10.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7773
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:2128th Mar 24 14:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

number 6 wrote:

There in lies the issues the sport faces that is likely the case and that way of looking at it is why the sport is slowly killing itself off. They only seem to look at what they will lose out on rather than look at the possibilities and extra revenue that a 14 team set up could bring in. In essence its a professional sport run by amateurs and with all the business savvy within the game its mind boggling that none of them can see or agree on the best options for the sport.

For me personally a league of 10 teams just isn't enough for a meaningful league and wouldn't do much for the sport, I think I'd probably call it a day if it went down that route. All it does is further reduce the appeal and game itself.
ccs 
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 201113 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Aug 22 17:5120th Aug 22 16:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?

Chris71 wrote:
There in lies the issues the sport faces that is likely the case and that way of looking at it is why the sport is slowly killing itself off. They only seem to look at what they will lose out on rather than look at the possibilities and extra revenue that a 14 team set up could bring in. In essence its a professional sport run by amateurs and with all the business savvy within the game its mind boggling that none of them can see or agree on the best options for the sport.

For me personally a league of 10 teams just isn't enough for a meaningful league and wouldn't do much for the sport, I think I'd probably call it a day if it went down that route. All it does is further reduce the appeal and game itself.

SKY money is being reduced by 30% next year, debts are mounting at an alarming rate, and you think the sport can survive with even more teams?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5372
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 15 200618 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 14:5027th Mar 24 14:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

If the game went semi pro would we get any money from sport England ? Every team would then be on the same footing but it would put paid to Aussie pensioners coming over for big bucks.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4591
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

12 teams isn’t enough to keep people’s interest. 10 would kill the game for all but those 10 teams. The game can’t even afford 10 teams I’d wager.
I know a lot of people where it wouldn’t take much to walk away from the game for good. Really crucial time for the game.
Can also see a number of lower league teams just disappearing.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 26 20213 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Aug 21 12:361st Aug 21 14:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

IMO It's not the number of teams that makes the impact, it's the number of games/repeat fixtures that has the bigger negative impact.
14 teams works because:

26 games, each team played home and away, thus removal of fabricated/slanted fixtures to have more local rivalry matches, it works better IMHO, I gave an example on the VT, 2x sell outs as opposed to 3x with just slightly more fans but more costs overall to host 3 games thus less net income, also multiple/repeat fixtures for the 'derby' games = fan fatigue hence fall off on those repeat big games..

Ditching 'magic' weekend, I've not seen evidence that this benefits clubs financially, given the cheap tickets are significantly less than a std ticlet (less than half the revenue for a 2 day ticket compared to 2 full price tickets) and the effect it has elsewhere including the home teams loss. That's before the some fans investment in travelling/boozing which does have an effect on CC games incl the final when those neutrals might have had a big day out there instead should their team not get there.

Newcastle already had roots and a team that had done ok, when I assessed attendances from pre 'magic' I can't see any influence holding magic in Newcastle has had than if just the normal progression from same input into an area at grass roots/development. You don't need to input grass roots/support to fledgling teams by holding a 2 day repeat fixture event that loses money to clubs.

Ditch the Easter Monday game, this is a player welfare issue IMO and is also fan fatigue, I don't really want to watch two teams flogging themselves when half the team are shattered, no problem with squad rotation but you can't replace everyone in the 17 and as we've seen, player fatigue leads to more injuries and can have a significant effect on the quality of the game itself.

Have your play-off at the end of season but change the format back to what we had of top team are champions. Do top 8, simple 1v8 etc as per old premiership but teams MUST field minimum 50% of players say u23/players or those with fewer than 6 1st team appearances (just a figure I plucked). If we are to have end of season internationals then player fatigue/injury plays a huge part on how the national team/s do in these late in the season games.

Do better at International level equals more exposure, more fans and so on.

Does less TV money per club from more teams playing in SL have an impact, yes, however with more teams but fewer games overall I beleive that that can be overcome through higher overall attendance averages whilst including more teams in the top division.

oh and also scrapping immediate relegation, every two years to have P&R, and more suport for teams coming up so that they get a fair shake regards preperation for the step up. London did amazingly well and not keeping them for the following season has had such a massive negative impact on the club and further the sport as a whole.
A chance to regroup for a second season to consolidate could have seen a resurgance, it might not but we'll never know and now I feel London, or any other club that comes up wil be damaged by the drop back down after getting hammered most weeks. It's so imbalanced. But London particularly because of their circumstances, location, lack of deep rooted history (40 years at the point Fulham came about misses deeper problems regards getting a new team in one of the most diversified populations and congeste social activities areas and of course the 'sport' that dominates.

10 teams is an idea, but not one I could support, I don't think it helps the sport overall longer term to survive never mind flourish.
Next

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 6
John boy 13
2m
The Bulls away
terry silver
3m
Game - Song Titles