JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:1825th Mar 24 14:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm  
I guess it depends whether you believe this statement...

We are grateful to Leigh Sports Village and the four Semi-Finalists for the way that they have worked with us to get to this stage and to the BBC for their live coverage of all 3 games meaning that those fans who are unable to attend in person at the stadium can still watch the game live on TV.

Worked with. Not necessarily accepted...
RankPostsTeam
International Star324No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201212 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 18:0025th Feb 24 06:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 pm  
Crazy how people are moaning about venue size / allocation of tickets. We haven't been to a game of live rugby for over a year, be thankful 600 from each team are able to go, the games less than a month away and there are still restrictions in place, have some perspective.

Unless you know about the availability and cost of each individual venue and the demands from the BBC I'd say everything else is just pure speculation based on little more than frustration that you might not get a ticket.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1332
JoinedServiceReputation
May 02 201014 years112th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 23:4326th Mar 24 09:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 9:38 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
It buggers belief if that a sports governing body can say that the venue is, ' geographically located somewhere accessible for the fans' when Saints and Warrington fans can go on their bikes whilst we have to do a 206 mile round trip. No wonder Super league wanted to break away from this lot what a farce. But is anyone surprised?

I agree, zero imagination by the RFL.

At least Huddersfield and Headingley are both central, better capacities and both steeped in the history of the game. Neutral fans watching in, could at least see that the semi finals was being played in decent stadiums. The BBC could even do a feature on some of the memorable semi finals over the years from those grounds.

There’s been no problem hosting countless games at Headingley during Lockdown. In fact, we’ve played just as many home games there this season as we have at the KC. Leigh has never been used once as a Covid venue, so why is it now the logical place? Is it further compensation for promoting them into the Super League?

I’ve nothing against Leigh as a club, but the RFL shouldn’t try and justify it at as a fair location. If so, let’s move the semi finals to Rovers and see if the other clubs think that’s a fair location?

At times like these, you have to think, what would Eddie Hearn do? ‘Hey Anthony, hey Tyson, forget Saudi, Wembley or Vegas, I’ve booked Leigh!’
DAG 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach330No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 14 200618 years264th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Sep 22 22:5419th Aug 22 22:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2 Super League Leaders Shields • 9 RFL Challenge Cups

3 League Championships • 1 League Leaders Trophy • 1 Premiership Trophy • 1 Club Championship Trophy • 4 Regal Trophies • 1 Captain Morgan Trophy • 1 Floodlit Trophy • 8 Lancashire League Titles • 9 Lancashire Cups

Twitter - @ElmDag

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 pm  
An absolute farce of a decision. But given the RFL don’t do logic, I’d say it was very predictable they’d choose a venue that first of all didn’t suit all four teams involved and secondly didn’t make the most of the chance to get as many supporters in as possible.

Castleford are getting more fans into the Jungle than we’re going to have for a Challenge Cup semi final at Leigh. What’s the rationale behind that?

The lucky fans who are able to get a ticket will get the chance to watch two matches I assume, one of which doesn’t even involve the team they support. All this while there’ll be hundreds, or even thousands more fans, unable to get in to see their team.

Think of a venue they could’ve picked, geographically and one where they could’ve maximised fan attendance and I think you’ll be hard pushed to find a more bizarre choice.

Absolutely bonkers the people are running our game. No wonder we’ve developed into a tin pot sport.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200321 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:0521st Jan 24 16:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FC TILL I DIE!
[quote="Neil HFC"]Hull Kingston Rovers - Pride of Hull FC's B Team.[/quote]
Hull City Kings of Yorkshire
1. Hull City
2. Middlesbrough
3. Barnsley
4. Doncaster
5. Leeds Utd
6. Sheff Wednesday
7. Sheff Utd
8. Huddersfield

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 pm  
Airlie Street wrote:
Crazy how people are moaning about venue size / allocation of tickets. We haven't been to a game of live rugby for over a year, be thankful 600 from each team are able to go, the games less than a month away and there are still restrictions in place, have some perspective.

Unless you know about the availability and cost of each individual venue and the demands from the BBC I'd say everything else is just pure speculation based on little more than frustration that you might not get a ticket.

Well Headingley must have been fairly cheap as they used it for most matches

The reason people are moaning is they've waited 15 months to go to a game and now vast majority of pass holders won't be able to go due to a joke of a allocation, that's the thanks the fans get who paid they're pass money for nothing

3,000 capacity is OK.....? For a semi final between 4 teams You having a laugh
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8663
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200519 years178th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Mar 24 16:3616th Mar 24 23:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Wed May 12, 2021 11:42 pm  
I agree our ground is too small when it's 10k or 25% of the capacity. But surely it should be 1200 fans from each club, then after the 1st S/F all fans must leave. it just doesn't make sense. I guess if the pitch at Wigan Athletics ground 8) wasn't being relaid, the semi's would have been held there. And they have 2 trains stations, we have none.
RankPostsTeam
International Star548
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 29 201014 years233rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:3222nd Mar 24 15:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 am  
I would say the reason Headingley is not considered, is because Yorkshire have a CC fixture there on that weekend. As for other Football stadia, perhaps pitch maintenance is a factor.
RankPostsTeam
International Star324No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201212 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 18:0025th Feb 24 06:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Thu May 13, 2021 6:27 am  
Thetalentboy wrote:

The reason people are moaning is they've waited 15 months to go to a game and now vast majority of pass holders won't be able to go due to a joke of a allocation, that's the thanks the fans get who paid they're pass money for nothing

And what if Headingley wasn't available, have you considered that?

Your pass pays for home Super League games and not Challenge Cup Semi-Finals, so that has no relevance here.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7772
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:2127th Mar 24 14:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Thu May 13, 2021 7:51 am  
Airlie Street wrote:

Airlie Street wrote:
Thetalentboy wrote:

And what if Headingley wasn't available, have you considered that?

Your pass pays for home Super League games and not Challenge Cup Semi-Finals, so that has no relevance here.

It is simply a very poor decision by the RFL to hold the semi finals at Leigh and its decisions like this and these thought processes that think it would be OK that hold the sport back.

If the press release is to be believed and the semi finals had been scheduled for this date over 6 months ago then surely someone somewhere within the RFL would have come up with 2 options with respect of possible lockdown scenario's.

The first option being if there were still strict restrictions in the place and the second option being if the restrictions had been eased to allow fans to attend.

The other issue I have with the RFL statement such as 'Several stadiums were considered based on being a neutral venue for the 4 Semi Finalists, being available on June 5, being able to host Rugby League, being geographically located somewhere accessible for the fans who would want to attend', hell fire Southampton is geographically located somewhere that's accessible, its even got a train station unlike Leigh. You would think they would look for somewhere more central rather than a stadium a stones throw from 3 teams who had a very real chance of reaching the semi's in Wigan, St's & Warrington.

As for the idea of a triple header for me the jury's out on this as to why they feel it was such a good idea or to suggest this to the BBC for the coverage. The football season is over when the Semi finals take place and feel the RFL once again have missed the chance by a country mile to really promote the sport to a new audience.

But even ignoring the above the biggest thing for me looking at it is, this is the sports prestigious competition at the Semi Final stage and the RFL seem to think a fitting venue to hold such an event is the Leigh Sports Village!!! That for me just sums up why the game is falling on its backside.

Can you ever imagine the FA holding the FA Cup Semi Finals at Blackpools Bloomfield Road or Oxfords Kassam Stadium for example? Not even the League Two Play-Offs would be held at venues like that as the FA regard their product highly and as such for prestige events they select venues fitting of the occasion..
Last edited by Chris71 on Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4590
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Mar 24 11:4619th Mar 24 09:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2021 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw : Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 am  
If it wasn’t for fans individual love of their clubs, I think many would walk away from the game.

Triple header at a small stadium, and 100 miles away from one of the clubs?
Okay then

Never mind. The RFL have arranged pizza, and an advert on a Stobart truck for the games as well.
PreviousNext