Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Our Jamie
Re: Our Jamie Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 pm  

User avatarBumpyMcbump wrote:
BumpyMcbump User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for L 0 years
mwindass wrote:
Mcshane, Clark and Roby average about 40 tackles a game. Parcel about 25-30.

Shaul is going to have to work his socks off in the middle.

He was criticised for his decision making at full back. I don't see it getting any better shifting him to 9.

Playing hooker is much more than scooting. I'd love to be proven wrong, but just can't see it.

I'd have him as wing/full back cover. He can still scoot from the wing, he'd help us with our exit sets for sure.

What was the criticism on decision making, you mean in attack in the final 20? Given he had Radford as a coach for the formative years of his Hull tenure is this really surprising?
Hodgson is a smart coach, one who played at the highest level in a skill position, Radford didn't, maybe, just maybe Shaul will learn something for any role he gets the chance at, if we get a rejuvenated Shaul with some added skills to his game then that's a big plus for the club.
If he doesn't progress or there's simply no role for him, he's a squad player, could he accept that, would he want to move somewhere were he'll get regular game time, that's what I'd be concerned about
Re: Our Jamie Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:49 pm  

BumpyMcbump User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for L 0 years
ccs wrote:
No, just common sense.

Someone who has never played hooker in SL is an unknown quantity, if he can cope with being targeted, then he's proved himself.

Sorry it's been a short reply, just trying not to bore people to death.

I don't see your comment as being common sense though, you're pre judging, you've ignored that he's a good open field tackler and what he has been doing at FB and his main pluses are fairly aligned to being a dummy half, not all but some, hence why people have stated they think it could be a role for him going forward.
I think you and others are writing him off too soon.
Re: Our Jamie Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:56 pm  

mwindass wrote:
mwindass Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 13 years
BumpyMcbump wrote:
What was the criticism on decision making, you mean in attack in the final 20? Given he had Radford as a coach for the formative years of his Hull tenure is this really surprising?
Hodgson is a smart coach, one who played at the highest level in a skill position, Radford didn't, maybe, just maybe Shaul will learn something for any role he gets the chance at, if we get a rejuvenated Shaul with some added skills to his game then that's a big plus for the club.
If he doesn't progress or there's simply no role for him, he's a squad player, could he accept that, would he want to move somewhere were he'll get regular game time, that's what I'd be concerned about

His decision making with ball in hand isn't good enough to be a top SL full back. I lost count the amount of times he took space away from the centre/winger and just died with the ball.

Connor on the other hand can pick a pass, and 9 times out of 10 picks the right option.

Shaul is 29 now. I don't think we can expect more than what he already offers.
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:41 pm  

BumpyMcbump User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for L 0 years
mwindass wrote:
His decision making with ball in hand isn't good enough to be a top SL full back. I lost count the amount of times he took space away from the centre/winger and just died with the ball.

Connor on the other hand can pick a pass, and 9 times out of 10 picks the right option.

Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

Would you not say that his inability to develop in the way you're stating is down to the coaches that have been around him for the 7 years (discounting this year obvs) since he broke into the first team? Radford was the assistant coach with Last doing his thing, Shaul had just 5 appearances IIRC when he played for us at wembley, Gentle was already on the way out according to some on here by the September and radford was running the show in all but name.

So Radford got hold of him at 21 and just look at how many players that have come through our system in skill positions that have flourished/progressed under his and last's tenure, that will be absolutely no-one. Shaul as well as Logan, Crooks, Abdull, Hadley even Lineham (though coming from West Yorks), all fallen by the wayside or not improved despite their crackerjack starts, not just because of the individuals themselves but because of bang average coaching.

Yes, Shaul is 29, and it's far harder to change things, but writing him off and saying he can't improve is not just premature, it's oh so predictable from some who are all ready to dump on players without even giving them a chance!

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/40763731 , that he can read things differenty to Shaul in those situations that we see as his strengths, I won't argue from that standpoint.
However, Shaul is by far the better defender, he backs up more, he can scoot away from dummy half or open field play that Connor could only dream about. Connor is lazy at FB when the ball is coming from a kick, has he ever made a single break from FB from a kick?
Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, I would like to see Shaul get a chance to go back to FB after having some time under BH, will that happen, probaby not, but discounting that he can improve in certain areas under a former international FB, and at the same time ignore that Connor has his flaws in attack and defence at FB, just as Shaul has but in different ways, is in my opinion shortsighted.

Let's support him after such a horrendous time with his injury, I hope he can get a place in the side, whether that be at FB, interchange hooker or utility choice on the bench. If he can't, or isn't able to get back to full fitness then we have no room for sentiment, until that time comes we be positive and give him as much as fans can do the support players deserve.
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:05 pm  

Mike1970 wrote:
Mike1970 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Member for 7 years
BumpyMcbump wrote:
Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

Would you not say that his inability to develop in the way you're stating is down to the coaches that have been around him for the 7 years (discounting this year obvs) since he broke into the first team? Radford was the assistant coach with Last doing his thing, Shaul had just 5 appearances IIRC when he played for us at wembley, Gentle was already on the way out according to some on here by the September and radford was running the show in all but name.

So Radford got hold of him at 21 and just look at how many players that have come through our system in skill positions that have flourished/progressed under his and last's tenure, that will be absolutely no-one. Shaul as well as Logan, Crooks, Abdull, Hadley even Lineham (though coming from West Yorks), all fallen by the wayside or not improved despite their crackerjack starts, not just because of the individuals themselves but because of bang average coaching.

Yes, Shaul is 29, and it's far harder to change things, but writing him off and saying he can't improve is not just premature, it's oh so predictable from some who are all ready to dump on players without even giving them a chance!

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/40763731 , that he can read things differenty to Shaul in those situations that we see as his strengths, I won't argue from that standpoint.
However, Shaul is by far the better defender, he backs up more, he can scoot away from dummy half or open field play that Connor could only dream about. Connor is lazy at FB when the ball is coming from a kick, has he ever made a single break from FB from a kick?
Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, I would like to see Shaul get a chance to go back to FB after having some time under BH, will that happen, probaby not, but discounting that he can improve in certain areas under a former international FB, and at the same time ignore that Connor has his flaws in attack and defence at FB, just as Shaul has but in different ways, is in my opinion shortsighted.

Let's support him after such a horrendous time with his injury, I hope he can get a place in the side, whether that be at FB, interchange hooker or utility choice on the bench. If he can't, or isn't able to get back to full fitness then we have no room for sentiment, until that time comes we be positive and give him as much as fans can do the support players deserve.

Good argument.

What was the try you tried to link to? It wouldn’t work for me.
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:51 pm  

mwindass wrote:
mwindass Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 13 years
BumpyMcbump wrote:

My initial point is that his decision making isn't good enough to be a top bracket SL full back. This issue would only be amplified at hooker.

Of course I want him to come back and play his part. But I don't see his future as a hooker, he should be outside back cover.

To say Radford didn't improve anyone is just wrong.
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:31 pm  

BumpyMcbump User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for L 0 years
Mike1970 wrote:
Good argument.

What was the try you tried to link to? It wouldn’t work for me.

It was the Leeds CC semifinal where we smashed them and Shaul scored from 70 yards out, just one example of many where Shaul has a huge advantage in attack that Connor or simply doesn't have, it's swings and roundabouts. For all that Connor adds he also has his pitfalls, IMO I think on balance that Shaul is the better fullback, he offers equally in attack, just in a different way, but and again it's an opinion, I think he has the superior defence.
I just don't like that some are saying he can't do this or that because of his age or whatever, he's had a prop forward coaching him for 7 years whose idea of a winning formula was more smash bang wallop kick to the corner and rely on indivdual brilliance, if we have a coach who played in a skill position and can coach that (Lineham said it was a revelation been coached by BH after he'd left Hull) then you'd like to think that he (shaul) can take some of that going forward, even if it isn't at FB

This is just chatting about possibilities for Shaul and the club, if Shaul gets fit and we use him as interchange then that has a bearing on Johnstone, if Shaul is just a squad player going forward with him not getting regular first team games then does Shaul consider a move somewhere else?
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm  

BumpyMcbump User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for L 0 years
mwindass wrote:
My initial point is that his decision making isn't good enough to be a top bracket SL full back. This issue would only be amplified at hooker.

Of course I want him to come back and play his part. But I don't see his future as a hooker, he should be outside back cover.

To say Radford didn't improve anyone is just wrong.

I didn't say he didn't improve anyone, I said he didn't improve any of the skill positions and we lost youngsters coming through because of his way of coaching and attitude to signing players from outside the club more often than not as well as not using players correctly/to their strengths or in sides that were overall just poorly coached. Players who want to learn and have endeavour to succeed wil improve as they get older within a team environment, that doesn't mean that is all from the coach.

As for your last point, I understand that view, I personally would rather have Shaul as an interchange dummy half for now IF he can get fit and prove himself, the problem as I see it is that we have a great young FB in Wynn but Connor (unless injured) has that tied down, do we culture Wynn as the future at FB or, as we've seen in the recent past, he leaves to get a chance of first team experience elsewhere, it's just replicating what happened with Logan in many ways.
Re: Our Jamie Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:47 pm  

User avatarLarge Paws wrote:
Large Paws User avatar

Member for 11 years
I don't think Shaul has ever recovered from the 'mistimed' tackle at Fev. He's not been the same since.
Re: Our Jamie Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:04 am  

User avatarThetalentboy wrote:
Thetalentboy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 19 years
mwindass wrote:

9 times out of 10 nonsense

For starters he's threw at least 3 inceptions that's led to try ( 1 which cost us a cup final place )

Remember him bombing 2 trys against catalan due to forward passes

Also he cost us the game at Wigan giving a daft penalty in front of the sticks with the game all level

Yet people always Ignore connors major errors for some strange reason and still think he's god to some :CRAZY:
FC TILL I DIE!
[quote="Neil HFC"]Hull Kingston Rovers - Pride of Hull FC's B Team.[/quote]
Hull City Kings of Yorkshire
1. Hull City
2. Middlesbrough
3. Barnsley
4. Doncaster
5. Leeds Utd
6. Sheff Wednesday
7. Sheff Utd
8. Huddersfield
PreviousNext