FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 10 team Super League?
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16827No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 10:0328th Mar 24 21:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 team Super League? : Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:25 pm  
Sebasteeno wrote:
14 team SL for me then close the doors

If we go two leagues of ten teams it will cause carnage, Hudds, KR wont want to be in the lower tier no chance

If it just becomes a ten team SL then thats me done with rugby league

Losing Rovers would be bad for Hull, we'd lose one massive gate a year if not two, playing Cas 4 times or whatever nonsense is now being proposed wouldent bring in the crowds.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11536
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200519 years138th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 15:0923rd Mar 24 16:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 team Super League? : Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 pm  
10 team league where each will play each other 3 times at a guess, 27 games.......no ta!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7172No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:4628th Mar 24 21:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:04 am  
Sebasteeno wrote:

If we go two leagues of ten teams it will cause carnage, Hudds, KR wont want to be in the lower tier no chance

Completely agree with that (except with being done with RL :lol:) its certainly tough on some smaller clubs and there has to be a way in for them but not yearly, but its perhaps the only way to sustain club's sponsorship, Youth Development and them building their squads is the NRL model. However it will never happen simply because the 10 team business has nothing to do with what's good for the game its just the big clubs wanting to keep or increase their current cut of the TV money, and with two teams less in the top tier the RFL seeing it as a way that they can still get some of it! You can pick the teams who are for it and those who are against it without being told who they are its a case of the rich getting richer and Turkeys and Christmas really
ccs 
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 201113 years156th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Aug 22 17:5120th Aug 22 16:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 am  
It isn't really the rich getting richer, if we stick with 12 teams we'd have to lose our 3 or 4 top earners to fund the shortfall.

Or find the money from somewhere else, along with the other 11 clubs, not forgetting the rest of RL with a shortfall of £10m (per year).
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7775
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:5428th Mar 24 22:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:32 am  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
Sebasteeno wrote:

Completely agree with that (except with being done with RL :lol:) its certainly tough on some smaller clubs and there has to be a way in for them but not yearly, but its perhaps the only way to sustain club's sponsorship, Youth Development and them building their squads is the NRL model. However it will never happen simply because the 10 team business has nothing to do with what's good for the game its just the big clubs wanting to keep or increase their current cut of the TV money, and with two teams less in the top tier the RFL seeing it as a way that they can still get some of it! You can pick the teams who are for it and those who are against it without being told who they are its a case of the rich getting richer and Turkeys and Christmas really

Exactly and it doesn't matter what changes are made or however they go about a restructure unless all the clubs think about the game as a whole rather than the blinkered vision and the whats in it for me attitudes.

Reducing the size of the league which we all know is down to the share of the money pure and simple, yet for all the business sense within the clubs at the top, the mind boggles that they all still have theirs heads buried in the backsides and fail to see the damage they actually do to the game.
A 14 team league for me is the way to go with proper structure, hold off any promotion/relegation for say 5 years to give the lesser teams a chance by affording them the time needed. Make sure all clubs have a proper academy system with a proper league format that runs alongside the senior teams.
The same to a lesser extent needs to be done with the Chamionship teams etc.

Its just pointless making any changes that don't and never address any of the issues and they don't even paper over the cracks. All a 10 team league will do in drive away the fans that currently go rather than attracting more people to the game and a wider audience.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3365
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:1828th Mar 24 12:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am  
Chris71 wrote:
Exactly and it doesn't matter what changes are made or however they go about a restructure unless all the clubs think about the game as a whole rather than the blinkered vision and the whats in it for me attitudes.

Reducing the size of the league which we all know is down to the share of the money pure and simple, yet for all the business sense within the clubs at the top, the mind boggles that they all still have theirs heads buried in the backsides and fail to see the damage they actually do to the game.
A 14 team league for me is the way to go with proper structure, hold off any promotion/relegation for say 5 years to give the lesser teams a chance by affording them the time needed. Make sure all clubs have a proper academy system with a proper league format that runs alongside the senior teams.

Its just pointless making any changes that don't and never address any of the issues and they don't even paper over the cracks. All a 10 team league will do in drive away the fans that currently go rather than attracting more people to the game and a wider audience.

100% :CLAP:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7172No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:4628th Mar 24 21:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 am  
Chris71 wrote:

Sadly for the game as a whole a 14 team League and pulling up the drawbridge for a few years looks to me the only way to move forward in a sustainable way. 10 Clubs is just an excuse to ensure that those 10 don't lose out. The 10 will want the money on one hand but on the other they will still want at least 28 games so there could be 10 loop fixtures every year and what a turn off that will be for most fans!

The period that we dabbled with a sort of franchise system might have seen a few barren games for the bottom clubs at the end of a season (with no relegation) but the way clubs could build their Academy set ups and their outreach programmes and try out younger players when they could was the most stable few years we have had in the game this century.

Because of all the funding arguments and wrangling which have resulted in the way the TV money is split and is to be between the two Divisions (particularly going forward) we face some tough times ahead. I fact for me until we can ensure that the relegated team has some sort of structured security for the next couple of years and that the promoted team has the time and wherewithal to build a team that is a credible challenge to the rest of Super League (so that they are not just cannon fodder) we are courting with disaster. But that would mean the Big Boys giving up some of their TV money to facilitate longer term parachute payments etc. so that aint gonna happen. Fancy inviting Leigh in at the last moment but giving them reduced central funding???? Some would argue with the short time scale and unavailability of players we should have been giving them more or at least quota exemptions for the first year.

A senior member of the RL staff told me only a few weeks ago that with all the debt that the Clubs are carrying after lockdown and with them having to start to pay back government loans etc if one of 4 or so of the current SL clubs were to be relegated this year they would probably not survive.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200321 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:0521st Jan 24 16:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FC TILL I DIE!
[quote="Neil HFC"]Hull Kingston Rovers - Pride of Hull FC's B Team.[/quote]
Hull City Kings of Yorkshire
1. Hull City
2. Middlesbrough
3. Barnsley
4. Doncaster
5. Leeds Utd
6. Sheff Wednesday
7. Sheff Utd
8. Huddersfield

Re: 10 team Super League? : Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:35 pm  
Chris71 wrote:

They're isn't enough quality or teams with proper academy's to have 14 teams

Think this is the biggest eye opener to finally hit RL the game is in deep poop

Too many mistakes like lack of promotion, giving sponsorships/rights away for free, lack of ambition, booting out Toronto with 8,000 brand new fans and potential investors for a pub team in Wigan with nothing to add to super league

Sad but I think super league will be part time in 5 years
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16827No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 10:0328th Mar 24 21:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 team Super League? : Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am  
Thetalentboy wrote:
They're isn't enough quality or teams with proper academy's to have 14 teams

Think this is the biggest eye opener to finally hit RL the game is in deep poop

Too many mistakes like lack of promotion, giving sponsorships/rights away for free, lack of ambition, booting out Toronto with 8,000 brand new fans and potential investors for a pub team in Wigan with nothing to add to super league

Sad but I think super league will be part time in 5 years

Sadly I have to agree, it's been non stop bad decisions for about a decade or so. From gimmicks such as Club Call, the Super8s, giving the Title Sponsorship to Stobart for free and only getting a few lorries painted in return, the whole Toronto debacle, Catalans winning the Cup to good media attention but then forcing them to pay a 'bond' in case they dare to make the final again, clubs that got pulled up for having poor stadiums in the licencing era such as Cas and Wakefield are still playing in the same grounds but they are now a further decade out of date, Crusaders and some shoots of growth in North Wales allowed to wilt. Bradford have admittedly caused a lot of their own problems but we've lost one of Rugby Leagues biggest brands and fan bases.

Any sport or organisation can't make that many mistakes and grow. Whatever structure we decide we need to stick with it for a good amount of time. I've said many times it's getting harder and harder to explain the format to casual or new fans.
Previous