RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SKY TV deal done
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 5124
Location: Kingston upon Hull
I read somewhere that this new deal, is 40% less than the previous deal, this has not been officially announced, but if this is true, then I’ll hang my balls in Hammonds window, what kind of negotiation is this, Was Ken sucking on his Werthers originals when he brokered this deal, we have a fabulous working relationship with Sky, too right we do, problem is it’s a one way street.

Surely this means most clubs, can’t spend to the existing salary cap,

there is going to be some serious belt tightening across Super league. And perhaps the days of the marquee player are gone, get those kids playing as soon as possible, because more than ever, they are our future.
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:13 pm  

User avatarnumber 6 wrote:
number 6 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 11134
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
I read somewhere that this new deal, is 40% less than the previous deal, this has not been officially announced, but if this is true, then I’ll hang my balls in Hammonds window, what kind of negotiation is this, Was Ken sucking on his Werthers originals when he brokered this deal, we have a fabulous working relationship with Sky, too right we do, problem is it’s a one way street.

Surely this means most clubs, can’t spend to the existing salary cap,

there is going to be some serious belt tightening across Super league. And perhaps the days of the marquee player are gone, get those kids playing as soon as possible, because more than ever, they are our future.




Pearson and Davey were the negotiators......well has run dry finally, just hope bbc get some free to air as Adam mentioned a few weeks back, may give a bit more value when the next deal is being discussed as viewing figures are pretty strong on the beeb
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:51 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:46 am
Posts: 5491
Location: Never never land away with the fairies
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
fosdyke99 wrote:
despite all the new ways to watch,youtube,streaming.the long term aim must be to get more people through the turnstiles.you cant beat being live at a ground.


Obviously completely agree with that but the problem is I think that the continued periods of lock down and sport behind closed doors has changed a lot of fringe supporters feelings about attending games and many sports are starting to feel that a mixture of the hardened fans in ground and live streaming or broadcasting etc of all games for the rest, as with the NFL and the NRL is the way forward for sustainability or at least like with this deal they are keeping their options open to see what happens after things have settled down after the pandemic..


The more I see & read about the new deal the more it seems that it isn't a bad deal when taking everything in to account in terms of SL.

Its clear the landscape has changed in terms of fans through the gates for all sports globally. I don't doubt that fans will come back eventually but it will take time and there will of course be some that decide to no longer go for a number of reasons due to the enforced extended break.

I don't think there has ever been a more important time to promote and sell the game to a wider audience to not only entice regular RL fans back but also people starved of watching a live sporting event and entertainment for over a year than now. The RFL with SL and Championship must work together to try and expand the audience and with the football season coming to an end if done right the game could really steal a march and make some real progress in this if they are able to use more platforms than under the previous SKY deal.

There is a need to have some games on free to air channels and the possibility of the BBC doing a prime Saturday afternoon slot would certainly help to reach a much greater audience, which would help to generate interest in the sport then filter down to people wanting to go and see a game live.
Last edited by Chris71 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:13 pm  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 am
Posts: 20377
Location: Back in Hull.
Seems a decent deal in the current circumstances for SL clubs, they wont get much less money, plus the rumored deal with the BBC.

It will be the lower league clubs that will suffer, they really need to negotiate a TV deal, to help them survive.

I don't think we are far off a closed shop, I'd be amazed if there was relegation this year, if not this year, they will close shop if and when Tolouse come up and Leigh go down which I think will happen this year.
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm  

fosdyke99 wrote:
fosdyke99 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:57 am
Posts: 407
we dont want tolouse in,they should be in a strong french league,along with catalan.
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 pm  

User avatarscarrie wrote:
scarrie User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:56 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: Hull
fosdyke99 wrote:
we dont want tolouse in,they should be in a strong french league,along with catalan.


You have a strong French league lying around do you?

Catalans have added something to SL in my view so I am willing to give Toulouse a go.
"I hope we get to the bottom of the answer"
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:48 pm  

bonaire wrote:
bonaire Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 4358
Chris71 wrote:
The more I see & read about the new deal the more it seems that it isn't a bad deal when taking everything in to account in terms of SL.

Its clear the landscape has changed in terms of fans through the gates for all sports globally. I don't doubt that fans will come back eventually but it will take time and there will of course be some that decide to no longer go for a number of reasons due to the enforced extended break.

I don't think there has ever been a more important time to promote and sell the game to a wider audience to not only entice regular RL fans back but also people starved of watching a live sporting event and entertainment for over a year than now. The RFL with SL and Championship must work together to try and expand the audience and with the football season coming to an end if done right the game could really steal a march and make some real progress in this if they are able to use more platforms than under the previous SKY deal.

There is a need to have some games on free to air channels and the possibility of the BBC doing a prime Saturday afternoon slot would certainly help to reach a much greater audience, which would help to generate interest in the sport then filter down to people wanting to go and see a game live.


The prime terrestrial TV slot in my opinion has to 18,30 on a Sunday when there is nothing worth watching and other S/L live games have finished.
My main concern is if one or two channels pick up Championship or League 1 matches many of the stadiums look poor on TV and it doesnt give the right image to new viewers who know little about the game.
As an example i watched London v York in an earlier round of the C/C and it looked like it was played at a park pitch.
Contrast that to Yorks new stadium and the game looks totally different.
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:02 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:46 am
Posts: 5491
Location: Never never land away with the fairies
bonaire wrote:
The prime terrestrial TV slot in my opinion has to 18,30 on a Sunday when there is nothing worth watching and other S/L live games have finished.
My main concern is if one or two channels pick up Championship or League 1 matches many of the stadiums look poor on TV and it doesnt give the right image to new viewers who know little about the game.
As an example i watched London v York in an earlier round of the C/C and it looked like it was played at a park pitch.
Contrast that to Yorks new stadium and the game looks totally different.


To be honest bonaire there's bog all worth watching on the TV on a weekend either Saturday or Sunday currently.

Agree re the Championship or League 1 in terms of coverage and it needing to look right and come across well rather than looking like its on playing field. So do you then say to have a home TV fixture your ground has to be of a certain standard? Its certainly a difficult challenge as I certainly think the there is a real opportunity but it has to be done right and not half cocked which would do more damage than good.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:13 pm  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15629
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
Obviously completely agree with that but the problem is I think that the continued periods of lock down and sport behind closed doors has changed a lot of fringe supporters feelings about attending games and many sports are starting to feel that a mixture of the hardened fans in ground and live streaming or broadcasting etc of all games for the rest, as with the NFL and the NRL is the way forward for sustainability or at least like with this deal they are keeping their options open to see what happens after things have settled down after the pandemic..


Absolutely. Broken habits are a concern for getting crowds back into the ground also. For some going to the Rugby is part of a bigger night/day out going to the Pub before and after, picking mates and/or family up etc. I'm sure we've all had it in life when one mate stops doing a hobby or moves jobs, moves away and stops taking part etc and then everyone else stops doing it too.

In the short term reassuring people that the Staidum is 'safe' and isn't a lengthy faff to get into (that is a concern for me, the KCOM turnstiles are a slow joke even with an 8k crowd and no Covid measures) will be a priority. There will be an initial buzz about being back but an hour long queue outside the ground will get old quick, particularly if we aren't playing well.
Re: SKY TV deal done Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15629
Chris71 wrote:
The more I see & read about the new deal the more it seems that it isn't a bad deal when taking everything in to account in terms of SL.

Its clear the landscape has changed in terms of fans through the gates for all sports globally. I don't doubt that fans will come back eventually but it will take time and there will of course be some that decide to no longer go for a number of reasons due to the enforced extended break.

I don't think there has ever been a more important time to promote and sell the game to a wider audience to not only entice regular RL fans back but also people starved of watching a live sporting event and entertainment for over a year than now. The RFL with SL and Championship must work together to try and expand the audience and with the football season coming to an end if done right the game could really steal a march and make some real progress in this if they are able to use more platforms than under the previous SKY deal.

There is a need to have some games on free to air channels and the possibility of the BBC doing a prime Saturday afternoon slot would certainly help to reach a much greater audience, which would help to generate interest in the sport then filter down to people wanting to go and see a game live.


Be interesting to see what Union do next. They gave the rights to BT for more money but they don't have as many viewers as SKY, but gave 5 games a year and the highlights to Channel5. I know the highlights haven't done well and Channel5 wanted to move to a dead slot but can't because Union are smart and put it in the contract that it must be on at primetime (I dream of the day RL thinks of stuff like that!) I believe the live games have done well though and they have given Channel5 prime games such as Boxing Day to maximise the audience.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,186,97570978,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 1st Aug
NRL RND: 20 St.George14-50Souths
NRL RND: 20 Newcastle34-24Canberra
NRL RND: 20 Melbourne37-10Penrith
CH RND: 15 Dewsbury18-22Swinton
CH RND: 15 Featherstone6-23Toulouse
CH RND: 15 Halifax24-21Bradford
CH RND: 15 Newcastle14-20Whitehaven
CH RND: 15 Oldham20-30LondonB
CH RND: 15 Widnes16-34Batley
L1 RND: 12 Doncaster24-46Hunslet
L1 RND: 12 Crusaders72-4West Wales
L1 RND: 12 Rochdale20-42Keighley
SL RND: 17 Wigan50-6Leigh
SL RND: 17 Leeds26-27Warrington
Sat 31st Jul
L1 RND: 12 LondonS12-14Coventry
Fri 30th Jul
NRL RND: 20 Wests16-18NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 20 Brisbane37-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 29th Jul
NRL RND: 20 Sydney28-0Parramatta
SLRND: 16 Catalans40-20Wakefield
SL RND: 16 Hull FC12-22Leeds
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 19 689 224 465 34
Penrith 19 521 228 293 32
Souths 19 613 382 231 32
Parramatta 19 484 295 189 26
Sydney 19 509 343 166 26
Manly 18 529 378 151 22
Cronulla 18 370 418 -48 16
Canberra 19 383 465 -82 16
 
St.George 19 382 464 -82 16
Newcastle 19 325 472 -147 16
Gold Coast 18 426 478 -52 14
NZ Warriors 19 373 502 -129 12
Wests 19 412 564 -152 12
NQL Cowboys 19 358 584 -226 12
Brisbane 19 331 578 -247 10
Canterbury 18 236 566 -330 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 17
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 15 459 246 213 28 186.59 93.33
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 15 456 247 209 23 184.62 76.67
Wigan 17 305 295 10 22 103.39 64.71
Hull FC 13 298 237 61 15 125.74 57.69
Hull KR 11 271 244 27 12 111.07 54.55
 
Leeds 16 380 290 90 16 131.03 50
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 14 218 558 -340 0 39.07 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 10 456 94 362 20 485.11 100
Featherstone 14 579 189 390 26 306.35 92.86
Halifax 15 422 220 202 22 191.82 73.33
LondonB 14 404 357 47 19 113.17 67.86
Batley 15 404 302 102 20 133.77 66.67
Bradford 14 375 339 36 18 110.62 64.29
 
Whitehaven 15 297 410 -113 13 72.44 43.33
Widnes 14 323 378 -55 11 85.45 39.29
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Newcastle 14 298 420 -122 11 70.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 14 215 401 -186 9 53.62 32.14
Oldham 14 210 500 -290 4 42 14.29
Swinton 15 256 547 -291 2 46.80 6.67
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 11 382 162 220 19 235.80 86.36
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 11 348 251 97 15 138.65 68.18
Crusaders 11 350 322 28 12 108.70 54.55
Keighley 12 410 279 131 13 146.95 54.17
Hunslet 12 334 301 33 11 110.96 45.83
 
Coventry 11 258 264 -6 10 97.73 45.45
Rochdale 11 299 322 -23 10 92.86 45.45
LondonS 12 192 350 -158 7 54.86 29.17
West Wales 12 126 586 -460 0 21.50 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X