JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:5926th Mar 24 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Robert Elstone : Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:25 pm  
Even the Round1 fixtures for TV have a whiff of the 'big clubs' getting what they want...Saints, Wigan and Leeds all have a nice easy start against Salford, Leigh and Wakefield.

I can understand they want to keep the bigger games back for when crowds are allowed in, but is Wigan-Leigh really the sport coming back with the bang for a TV audience?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:3024th Mar 24 08:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Robert Elstone : Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:54 pm  
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... on-3133943

AP's take on things. As someone pointed out on social media sounds like RFL board meetings are as productive and orderly as Handforth Parish Council Zoom calls. Jackie Weaver needed..
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... on-3133943

AP's take on things. As someone pointed out on social media sounds like RFL board meetings are as productive and orderly as Handforth Parish Council Zoom calls. Jackie Weaver needed..
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 23:3825th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Robert Elstone : Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:35 pm  
Mrs Barista wrote:
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/end-i-think-it-just-proved-too-much-super-league-chief-robert-elstone-says-adam-pearson-3133943

I think, fundamentally, it comes down to whether the SL chairman want an administrator or a leader. If the latter, then they need to cede the authority to match that responsibility. Something they clearly find difficult, probably finding the idea of employing somebody to tell them what to do counterintuitive and/or unpalatable.

It is a good interview with Pearson, and I agree with a lot of what he says (which I’m sure he’ll find reassuring). However, stuff about hybrid structures does sound like another round of failing to make a choice. Like ‘it is important that SL can contribute to decision making, but we know we need the RFL or a new CEO to be our paid scapegoat when it goes wrong.’ Possibly the basis of a Viz honest job advert there.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:3227th Mar 24 08:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 am  
Mild Rover wrote:
I think, fundamentally, it comes down to whether the SL chairman want an administrator or a leader. If the latter, then they need to cede the authority to match that responsibility. Something they clearly find difficult, probably finding the idea of employing somebody to tell them what to do counterintuitive and/or unpalatable.

It is a good interview with Pearson, and I agree with a lot of what he says (which I’m sure he’ll find reassuring). However, stuff about hybrid structures does sound like another round of failing to make a choice. Like ‘it is important that SL can contribute to decision making, but we know we need the RFL or a new CEO to be our paid scapegoat when it goes wrong.’ Possibly the basis of a Viz honest job advert there.

Spot on that you've got that just about right for me! Pearsons a bit of an honest broker in all this but some of the egos and agendas on the Super League board make it almost impossible to get anything done. To some it appears that the Wigan Chairman who moved Elstones position being formed in the first place is on one side of the argument and the Leeds Chairman who was against it from day one, and in the days of RFL control seemed to many to be running the game himself, is on the other. The rest seem to fall in behind the side the at the time best suits their own agendas.

I guess although as you say its just perhaps another compromise situation the hybrid idea is a half way house solution to what is otherwise a devil and a deep blue sea scenario for the senior Clubs. On one hand the current structure with a separate super League administration gives autonomy to the 'bread winners' but is too costly and as you say the way that its constituted doesn't suit 12 guys with differing priorities and agenda who can't relinquish control to a figure head Administrator they themselves appointed.

Whilst on the other hand the RFL has over the years constantly failed to make good decisions, perpetuated cronyism, dropped the game in it and most importantly failed to recognise Super league for what it is, the flagship part of the game and the only part that TV companies (who are lets face it the only real source of income at present) are interested in. Going in with them hardly inspires any confidence for the future either does it?

I get regularly criticised for having a downer on lower division clubs and nothing is farther from the truth most of us hold them in high regard love going to their grounds and respect their heritage and history and they have to have the ability to dream of one day making Super League. That said, I think, as I've said before, without a strong and more importantly stable Super League attracting top players, having the security of tenure to ensure we produce great home grown talent and capturing the publics attention by playing good entertaining rugby we are shot! Whether we the converted like it or not we have to have closer exciting games of a high standard that satisfies the needs of Sky. Otherwise they will lose interest and viewers, continue to offer us less for the broadcast contract and in the end drop the sport and the game will fade away. Whats more those so important clubs lower down the ladder will be stuffed too.

As a game I guess we have to move from the whole sport depending on Sky tv to Sky Tv needing our quality product to boost their viewing figures. But man are we a long way off that at present!
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7772
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:2127th Mar 24 14:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
Spot on that you've got that just about right for me! Pearsons a bit of an honest broker in all this but some of the egos and agendas on the Super League board make it almost impossible to get anything done. To some it appears that the Wigan Chairman who moved Elstones position being formed in the first place is on one side of the argument and the Leeds Chairman who was against it from day one, and in the days of RFL control seemed to many to be running the game himself, is on the other. The rest seem to fall in behind the side the at the time best suits their own agendas.

I guess although as you say its just perhaps another compromise situation the hybrid idea is a half way house solution to what is otherwise a devil and a deep blue sea scenario for the senior Clubs. On one hand the current structure with a separate super League administration gives autonomy to the 'bread winners' but is too costly and as you say the way that its constituted doesn't suit 12 guys with differing priorities and agenda who can't relinquish control to a figure head Administrator they themselves appointed.

Whilst on the other hand the RFL has over the years constantly failed to make good decisions, perpetuated cronyism, dropped the game in it and most importantly failed to recognise Super league for what it is, the flagship part of the game and the only part that TV companies (who are lets face it the only real source of income at present) are interested in. Going in with them hardly inspires any confidence for the future either does it?

I get regularly criticised for having a downer on lower division clubs and nothing is farther from the truth most of us hold them in high regard love going to their grounds and respect their heritage and history and they have to have the ability to dream of one day making Super League. That said, I think, as I've said before, without a strong and more importantly stable Super League attracting top players, having the security of tenure to ensure we produce great home grown talent and capturing the publics attention by playing good entertaining rugby we are shot! Whether we the converted like it or not we have to have closer exciting games of a high standard that satisfies the needs of Sky. Otherwise they will lose interest and viewers, continue to offer us less for the broadcast contract and in the end drop the sport and the game will fade away. Whats more those so important clubs lower down the ladder will be stuffed too.

As a game I guess we have to move from the whole sport depending on Sky tv to Sky Tv needing our quality product to boost their viewing figures. But man are we a long way off that at present!

I think the phrase that springs to mind for me Wilf is 'Too many chiefs and not enough indians'. If you bring some one it affect change and move the sport forward you have to allow them to do it not just be the poster boy. Ultimately there can only ever be one entity that makes the final decision and it has to be more independent from the clubs themselves as with all the best will in the world the clubs individually will not vote for the something to move the sport forward if it would to the detriment of their own club.

The RFL were not perfect and SL were right to question aspects of the RFL involvement within games in terms of the SL etc but moving away and how they then set up just lead to a power grab and squabbles which has done nothing for the sport in fact more the opposite.

I don't think Elstione has done a great deal for the SL or sport but the more I read about things the more apparent it becomes that Elstone was not allowed to effectively do the role he was employed to do and his position was untenable so he did the right thing and resigned.

RL in the UK just seems to be the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to calamity
RankPostsTeam
International Star6834No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 01:1527th Mar 24 18:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 pm  
Chris71 wrote:
I think the phrase that springs to mind for me Wilf is 'Too many chiefs and not enough indians'. If you bring some one it affect change and move the sport forward you have to allow them to do it not just be the poster boy. Ultimately there can only ever be one entity that makes the final decision and it has to be more independent from the clubs themselves as with all the best will in the world the clubs individually will not vote for the something to move the sport forward if it would to the detriment of their own club.

The RFL were not perfect and SL were right to question aspects of the RFL involvement within games in terms of the SL etc but moving away and how they then set up just lead to a power grab and squabbles which has done nothing for the sport in fact more the opposite.

I don't think Elstione has done a great deal for the SL or sport but the more I read about things the more apparent it becomes that Elstone was not allowed to effectively do the role he was employed to do and his position was untenable so he did the right thing and resigned.

RL in the UK just seems to be the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to calamity

Until the Sport appoints someone in charge that makes the sporting world sit up and take notice, who is then able to open doors with Terrestrial TV the sport will stand still.
For me Terrestrial TV is the key to expanding this sport taking advantage of off peak slots on a weekend especially Sunday 18.00/20.00
ccs 
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 201113 years161st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Aug 22 17:5120th Aug 22 16:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:34 pm  
.... I see the bbc has signed a contract to broadcast cage-fighting in 2021 (iplayer), I thought they were trying to make savings?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:12 pm  
more intrigue more confusion looks like more red faces

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... on-5009554

ccs 
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 201113 years161st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Aug 22 17:5120th Aug 22 16:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:

Why "more red faces" ?
The Dentist Wilf wrote:

Why "more red faces" ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Robert Elstone : Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:20 pm  
Well I just thought that we don't look particularly good as a game when with 5 weeks to go to the big kick off we don't know whether there is going to be relegation and promotion or what form it will take and when clubs in the championship are refusing to spend any more on players till they know.
PreviousNext