FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Tanginoa Try, Lewis Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL 2021 predictions
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12433
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200914 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:1929th Mar 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 am  
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ, I call for improvements and address issues that constantly raise their heads that coaches don't address, just like other fans want. When a coach is seen to be out of control, no ideas and we are making the same old mistakes season in season out yet spending to the cap and in some seasons beyond such that we have back loaded contracts and a weaker squad the following year then yes, i and many others will call for something to be done, the question is why would you constantly back mediocrity?
I've already commented with positivity that Hodgson has said what he intends, we shall see how that pans out, if we finish mid table I'll be very disappointed, wouldn't you with the squad we have?
If we go backwards at a rate of knots as we did under Radford in his first two years (and should have been sacked on the back of that) I'd be calling for a change of the coach absolutely
Sentimentality is why we are where we are, players handed contracts they never deserved, Radford was ridiculously guilty of that, an owner who rather than admit he was wrong regards his choice of coach continued to back him despite Radford shgowing he was well out of hisr depth most of the time, squandered a fantastic set of youngsters in favour of paying big salaries for players from outside the club at every avenue and failed to develop those youngsters on an epic scale.

Yeah, we won the CC twice, that's great and we did it with admitted by most the best squad we'd seen since the early/mid 80s, but it papers over the other failings and the longer term damage done by Radford including the overall finances.

But you keep banging the drum for mediocre playing and coaching standards, I'll support the coach and the players but they have to hold up their end to show us that they are doing the ob that they're been very well paid for.

Trust me, I want success just as much as you.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 201212 years147th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:3025th Mar 24 16:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:57 pm  
I don't necessarily see our squad as weaker this season.
The players we have lost did not play many games anyway.
For me last season we had the best recruitment but massively under performed, a team of many good players but not a good team.
You could also argue that if Ellis and Jones had played would we have seen the development and emergence of Cator and Lane? I think not.
We saw an improvement in the team towards the end of last season, typified with the improved performances of Ma'u and Savellio.
I think in Reynolds we have an improvement over Kelly and in moving Connor to fb we have more than covered for Shaul's injury. Also with Connor now at fb we are no longer trying to shoehorn him into the team just for the sake of it.
We have lost the pace of Ratu but at least Swift will now have more of an opportunity to showcase his speed and talent.
I think we are light in the forwards still but that was the same last season.
It'll be interesting to see how BH goes but he appears to have the backing of all of the faithful.
A young hungry coach with a team eager to impress, improve and perform consistently is an exciting prospect.
Saints and Wigan will be streets ahead again.
We just need to ensure we're the best of the rest and there's no reason why we can't be.
Whilst not as pessimistic as some on here I still appreciate there is much work to be done on defence, attacking structure and to undo the muscle memory created by Radford is a must.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:1929th Mar 24 12:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm  
There's a bit in the HDM today about the opening results of Hull's recent coaches. Sharp won his first five. Wonder what might have been if we'd kept him.
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12433
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200914 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:33 pm  
Mrs Barista wrote:
There's a bit in the HDM today about the opening results of Hull's recent coaches. Sharp won his first five. Wonder what might have been if we'd kept him.

Good man was Sharpy.
Was head of recruitment at Eels last I knew and think he's still there.
If not he'll be sat on his Manly Beach House patio. :D
Would be statement of intent if Brett could match his start
Think we'd all settle for him winning our first 5. :)
RankPostsTeam
International Star3377
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:3429th Mar 24 13:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:34 pm  
WIZEB wrote:
Good man was Sharpy.
Was head of recruitment at Eels last I knew and think he's still there.
If not he'll be sat on his Manly Beach House patio. :D
Would be statement of intent if Brett could match his start
Think we'd all settle for him winning our first 5. :)

In hindsight after what followed he should have been given more time to turn things around. He was a very good coach.

The Manly Beach comment wasn't very wise.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7783
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:0729th Mar 24 13:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:57 pm  
Mrs Barista wrote:
The facts are that we finished 5th, have a weaker squad while others have strengthened, a coach who has 0 first grade games and Shaul is out for most of the season. Make it nasty and personal if you like but maybe you can't handle these valid points. Our squad is good but it isn't great IMO, our prop selection is average and we have the slowest backs in the comp with Ratu, Shaul and Kelly not around. I like Hodgson and Reynolds' energy and chat more than anyone of course, I love the club and hope like everyone that at some point we may break into the Big 4. Pointing out the factual reasons this may not happen is expressing an honest opinion. Why be so bitter about the facts? It's so unnecessary.

As for the financials, we're still in a global pandemic. Times are hard.

I can see your point in the fact we finished 5th which for my mind was more down to the same mistakes the coach was making and not resolving the basic errors. I’m not convinced the team where a united unit either. Then the issue of the coach departing then hitting a lockdown within days. Towards the end of the season despite everything the players under Last dug themselves out of a hole, which means there’s something to build on. In that time we hardly had Jones, Ellis, Kelly and latterly Shaul playing. As I said previously which is just an opinion is that I actually think we are stronger than before. Reynolds is an improvement on Kelly, Ellis for me his impact has been off field which now in a defined coaching role again only helps not weakens. Jones well quite honestly he was a waste and it’s clear he didn’t gel with the club or his team mates. Connor apart from lacking the pace of Shaul gave his much greater attacking options and showed the flaws in Shauls link play. The only one that is a miss is Ratu.

I’d wouldn’t say BH was lacking coaching experience as he’s coached for sometime now admittedly not as a head coach but neither had the likes of MacGuire, Holbrook, brown etc and they didn’t do too bad.

He seems to be quite a technical nerd when it comes to RL and the comments from people who have worked with him rate him.

We are lacking some speed on the edges and a back row or forward but I certainly don’t think we are weaker than last year.
I really think we are in a much better and stronger position than we have been for years. I think the impact of BH & JR will be significant and will only improve us.

Then add in whoever BH thinks is suitable as a winger, back row of forward again is more stength.

Let’s not forget we turned over a highly fancied Warrington with the players bar Ratu missing in the semi’s so I think top 4 is very much achievable with the current squad.
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12433
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200914 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
In hindsight after what followed he should have been given more time to turn things around. He was a very good coach.

Agreed.

The Manly Beach comment wasn't very wise.

Why?
It's gonna be sunny and 24° there this afty? :D
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:1929th Mar 24 12:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:40 pm  
Chris71 wrote:
I can see your point in the fact we finished 5th which for my mind was more down to the same mistakes the coach was making and not resolving the basic errors. I’m not convinced the team where a united unit either. Then the issue of the coach departing then hitting a lockdown within days. Towards the end of the season despite everything the players under Last dug themselves out of a hole, which means there’s something to build on. In that time we hardly had Jones, Ellis, Kelly and latterly Shaul playing. As I said previously which is just an opinion is that I actually think we are stronger than before. Reynolds is an improvement on Kelly, Ellis for me his impact has been off field which now in a defined coaching role again only helps not weakens. Jones well quite honestly he was a waste and it’s clear he didn’t gel with the club or his team mates. Connor apart from lacking the pace of Shaul gave his much greater attacking options and showed the flaws in Shauls link play. The only one that is a miss is Ratu.

I’d wouldn’t say BH was lacking coaching experience as he’s coached for sometime now admittedly not as a head coach but neither had the likes of MacGuire, Holbrook, brown etc and they didn’t do too bad.

He seems to be quite a technical nerd when it comes to RL and the comments from people who have worked with him rate him.

We are lacking some speed on the edges and a back row or forward but I certainly don’t think we are weaker than last year.
I really think we are in a much better and stronger position than we have been for years. I think the impact of BH & JR will be significant and will only improve us.

Then add in whoever BH thinks is suitable as a winger, back row of forward again is more stength.

Let’s not forget we turned over a highly fancied Warrington with the players bar Ratu missing in the semi’s so I think top 4 is very much achievable with the current squad.

Oh I agree there are grounds for hope and as fans we will anchor in the potential of Reynolds, more cohesion, better defence, fewer injuries and a miraculous first season as head coach. Why not? Just saying the reality is that some bookies have us 7th favourite for the LLS because it's unlikely all those things would come true at once and other teams already have better squads, established coaches etc. I like our spine, centres and back row a lot. We showed some character in the closing stages of 2020 and a new coach will bring a different energy. I just don't think we have the front row options to dominate teams nor the pace to beat them out wide. The squad is weaker than last year. Just look at the ins and outs and add Shaul to the outs for all intents and purposes Hopefully BH will bring the plan to leverage our strengths but he's only had 5 days with the squad. We'll need some patience.
RankPostsTeam
International Star6835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 01:0928th Mar 24 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:50 pm  
WestEndThinker wrote:
Houghton is not a captain, Taylor does all the press stuff but I think he is overrated as a forward, works hard, but not much else. Connor would be an option if he didn't already have an ego bigger than Jupiter... who else?

Sneyd probably in line but he may play safe and not rock the boat and leave it with Houghton
RankPostsTeam
International Star6835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 01:0928th Mar 24 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL 2021 predictions : Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:03 pm  
Mrs Barista wrote:
Oh I agree there are grounds for hope and as fans we will anchor in the potential of Reynolds, more cohesion, better defence, fewer injuries and a miraculous first season as head coach. Why not? Just saying the reality is that some bookies have us 7th favourite for the LLS because it's unlikely all those things would come true at once and other teams already have better squads, established coaches etc. I like our spine, centres and back row a lot. We showed some character in the closing stages of 2020 and a new coach will bring a different energy. I just don't think we have the front row options to dominate teams nor the pace to beat them out wide. The squad is weaker than last year. Just look at the ins and outs and add Shaul to the outs for all intents and purposes Hopefully BH will bring the plan to leverage our strengths but he's only had 5 days with the squad. We'll need some patience.

I agree Mrs B we need another experienced front row but encouraged by Brett Hodgsons latest interview when asked if any player had impressed during pre season and he said Masi Motongo so possibly we will see his potential under this coach.
Would really liked to have seen the development of Bienek under this new coaching set up.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
The Record-Breaking Good Friday Derby Massacre
Plum Bob
7m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
No grade A for 2025 for Trinity