WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - new coach
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:46 pm  

User avatarLarge Paws wrote:
Large Paws User avatar
Strong-running second rower

Wilde 3 wrote:
Or, just perhaps, we made the approach a while ago and they needed to solidify their coaching set up for when they start pre season. Whilst we wait for VISA stuff to clear, he is taking on a role away from the first team. Since when did people take what papers said so seriously??

Indeed, Imagine a scenario where you advertise a job and then interview applicants. at the end of that process you have a couple of candidates, and offer the job to your first choice. He accepts the role, but then decides he doesn't want it. So you have to go back to your second choice and offer him the role.
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 pm  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Mike1970 wrote:
I was thinking exactly the same.

Are we going to get rid of an assistant coach for an Aussie failed assistant coach?

Last has been learning off Radford
Hodgson has been learning off McGuire
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm  

Wilde 3 wrote:
Wilde 3 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Mike1970 wrote:
The timings don’t add up.

We tried to get Watson, and failed. I doubt Wests managed to re-jig their coaching roster in such a short time. It seems more like Hodgson became available due to his shuffle rather than the other way around.

Also, I don’t read the papers.

We spoke to Watson that was it. We didn't offer him the job or put a contract to him. It was a conversation and at the end of it, we deemed that what he wanted (backroom staff) we were not happy to oblige. Thats as far as it went. The media, and Watson to be fair, blew it way out of proportion. Hodgson was nearly on our coaching staff a few years ago and impressed when here. Working under Maguire in the NRL will have only built his knowledge
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:36 pm  

WIZEB wrote:
WIZEB Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Dave K. wrote:

Could have been the other way round.

And McGuire learnt off Meninga and Bellamy but doesnt mean Brett will make a superior SL coach to Andy Last, does it?
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Dave K. wrote:

It doesn't always work like that. Cunningham worked as assistant coach to Nathan Brown and took over after Saints won SL. Look what happened there.
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 pm  
Rocknrolla69er Strong-running second rower

A lot obviously want a quality Aussie appointment.

Can those bemoaning Brett Hodgson post who they realistically think we can appoint?

I think names like Flanagan etc are unrealistic due to the Salarys theyd command. I can't think of any proven Aussie coachs we can probably afford, so would probably have to tap into some references over there on any up and coming coachs we can afford
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:50 pm  
The Dentist Wilf User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Wilde 3 wrote:
We spoke to Watson that was it. We didn't offer him the job or put a contract to him. It was a conversation and at the end of it, we deemed that what he wanted (backroom staff) we were not happy to oblige. Thats as far as it went. The media, and Watson to be fair, blew it way out of proportion. Hodgson was nearly on our coaching staff a few years ago and impressed when here. Working under Maguire in the NRL will have only built his knowledge

Absolutely the Watson stuff never got anywhere much at all, he just used it to get his possible availability out there. He had loads to say about it we said nothing because it was nothing more than an exploratory chat as far as we were concerned. Hodgson on the other hand really impressed Adam Pearson alright and our owner was gutted when he reneged on a deal with us to return to his family in Australia. Thats either why he is about to be our new coach or at least why the media (clutching at straws as always) think he is. For me I'll wait to hear what the club have to say, but I don't expect we'll be waiting long, although how Adam is doing might come into that. However I said 6 weeks ago he was being courted by the Club and in the end it wouldn't surprise me at all.
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 pm  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

WIZEB wrote:
Could have been the other way round.

And McGuire learnt off Meninga and Bellamy but doesnt mean Brett will make a superior SL coach to Andy Last, does it?

Of course not, I just really think we need a new coach, this is the wrong time for him with the wrong set of players IMO.

I'm sure the club has done its research, Fonua will know him and I'm sure Ellis still has connections at Wests.
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 pm  

User avatarweaver93 wrote:
weaver93 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Dave K. wrote:
Of course not, I just really think we need a new coach, this is the wrong time for him with the wrong set of players IMO.

I'm sure the club has done its research, Fonua will know him and I'm sure Ellis still has connections at Wests.

may bring Benji with him...
Shaul spoke highly of Hodgson, whilst under his tutelage,
IF he could bring McGuire's training schedules and preparation to the club..could be an astute appointment...
As with all assistant coaches, the main attribute to become Head Coach ,is to be able to man-manage..
This is the $64,000 question....
Re: new coach Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Just hope an appointment is made soon so recruitment/retention is concluded. Don't want to miss out on potential targets.
PreviousNext