JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 201212 years79th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:477th May 24 21:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 pm  
We have 3 good attacking player's in the team at present Jowitt,Walmsley and Lino. Toulouse new this gave them no room.As a attacking force Gale and Hood are way past there best ,Thornley is none existent . Pratt looks like he could make it to S L dispite bombing a try chasing a great kick across the French line in the first half. Think Lino gets a lot of unfair stick on here and out plays Gale most week, Some of the high kicks Lino did in the second half were pinning the French teams on there line. With out Gale in the team last week Lino stepped up and ran the second half Powells words not mine with a inexperience spine I Would give Kay more time at 9 and get Rocky here on loan from Wigan By the way the food in hospitality was very good
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 03 200420 years32nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 08:3211th May 24 21:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 pm  
alegend wrote:
We have 3 good attacking player's in the team at present Jowitt,Walmsley and Lino. Toulouse new this gave them no room.As a attacking force Gale and Hood are way past there best ,Thornley is none existent . Pratt looks like he could make it to S L dispite bombing a try chasing a great kick across the French line in the first half. Think Lino gets a lot of unfair stick on here and out plays Gale most week, Some of the high kicks Lino did in the second half were pinning the French teams on there line. With out Gale in the team last week Lino stepped up and ran the second half Powells words not mine with a inexperience spine I Would give Kay more time at 9 and get Rocky here on loan from Wigan By the way the food in hospitality was very good

Couldn’t disagree more with most of that. We obviously have very different things we see in games and opinions on players performances.

An inexperienced spine composed of - a fullback with 100 + SL games, 2 x half backs of. Combined hundreds of SL games, a 9 with plenty of SL experience and top championship experience, and a 13 who has had a very long career in SL? How is that inexperienced spine :shock:

Lino had a good game last week but they are not consistent. Though I hope he will find that this year.

Thornley has been bringing some big metres and carries out from deep on that right edge and defensively makes very good decisions. Like this game the right edge set plays are breaking down regularly and that needs to be looked at but the ball seldom goes further than Lino who takes it to the line and either jinks back in, passes short to Griffin or passes to the floor or behind the outside backs (both happened this weeks game).

As for Kay at 9, he’s a utility player and while he’s ok at 9 he’s definitely not better than Hood or Doyle there. I would also rather see Smith get game time there before Kay who will likely be in his final season with us. Kay came on and made some positive contributions yesterday but was poor at Batley. If he plays at 13 he should be coming off the bench like he did today when teams start to feel their legs a bit.

With Gale it’s obvious he’s not in his prime but overall he’s doing a pretty solid job so far this season. I do think we should be looking at next year though but that appears to be Russell. Lawford will come in if Gale gets injured but Hampshire is an option but I suspect we will see that if Jowitt gets injured with no back up full back.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20294
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 00:0112th May 24 00:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 pm  
Hmm, so my take on this is we have some players who are very good at many things but have flaws in their game.....which is why they are playing championship

Lino is an excellent kicker. Both short long and high. As well as goal kicking. His defense as a half back is very important and his enthusiasm gives the team a lift. And he's fast. He stayed with Walmsley when he broke away.
His flaw is his pass selection - which irritates me, but is coachable. This season needs to be all about that.

Hood is an extremely tough defender. He absolutely hurts people in the tackle. His passing is good and accurate.
His flaw is he hasn't got the speed any more. That can't be coached.

Gale is a proven talent and he's got himself very fit for this season. He's often the first to his own kicks.
Flaw is age, and therefore resilience. Shouldn't go to SL next year.

Thornley plays right centre. You need to be a good defender as the attacks predominantly come down your channel.
He does that and carries the ball well from deep.
Flaw doesn't really have the attacking flair, though maybe that's a relationship with Lino that will make the difference.
Not sure he's our guy for SL
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20294
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 00:0112th May 24 00:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 pm  
Hmm, so my take on this is we have some players who are very good at many things but have flaws in their game.....which is why they are playing championship

Lino is an excellent kicker. Both short long and high. As well as goal kicking. His defense as a half back is very important and his enthusiasm gives the team a lift. And he's fast. He stayed with Wakmsley when he broke away.
His flaw is his pass selection - which irritates me, but is coachable. This season needs to be all about that.

Hood is an extremely tough defender. He absolutely hurts people in the tackle. His passing is good and accurate.

Gale is a proven talent and he's got himself very fit for this season. He's often the first to his own kicks.

Thornley plays right centre. You need to be a good defender as the attacks predominantly come down your channel.
Flaw doesn't really have the attacking flair, though maybe that's a relationship with Lino that will make the difference.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35970
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:1510th May 24 20:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 pm  
alegend wrote:
We have 3 good attacking player's in the team at present Jowitt,Walmsley and Lino. Toulouse new this gave them no room.As an attacking force Gale and Hood are way past there best ,Thornley is none existent . Pratt looks like he could make it to S L dispite bombing a try chasing a great kick across the French line in the first half. Think Lino gets a lot of unfair stick on here and out plays Gale most week, Some of the high kicks Lino did in the second half were pinning the French teams on there line. With out Gale in the team last week Lino stepped up and ran the second half Powells words not mine with a inexperience spine I Would give Kay more time at 9 and get Rocky here on loan from Wigan By the way the food in hospitality was very good

Lino is not a good attacking player that’s the point He was a few years back and still could be, but not now. He isn’t a patch on Gale who’s not the player he used to be. Watch the game, he rarely creates anything, but worse still he doesn’t create much for himself either.

as for Powells comments, I don’t read into them what you di. What he’s saying is that’s what he wants more of, but he didn’t get it. You can’t keep blaming Gale and Miller for his failures he’s had four years now!,
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 pm  
alegend wrote:
We have 3 good attacking player's in the team at present Jowitt,Walmsley and Lino. Toulouse new this gave them no room.As an attacking force Gale and Hood are way past there best ,Thornley is none existent . Pratt looks like he could make it to S L dispite bombing a try chasing a great kick across the French line in the first half. Think Lino gets a lot of unfair stick on here and out plays Gale most week, Some of the high kicks Lino did in the second half were pinning the French teams on there line. With out Gale in the team last week Lino stepped up and ran the second half Powells words not mine with a inexperience spine I Would give Kay more time at 9 and get Rocky here on loan from Wigan By the way the food in hospitality was very good

Lino is not a good attacking player that’s the point He was a few years back and still could be, but not now. He isn’t a patch on Gale who’s not the player he used to be. Watch the game, he rarely creates anything, but worse still he doesn’t create much for himself either.

as for Powells comments, I don’t read into them what you di. What he’s saying is that’s what he wants more of, but he didn’t get it. You can’t keep blaming Gale and Miller for his failures he’s had four years now!,
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 pm  
PopTart wrote:

Lino is an excellent kicker. Both short long and high. As well as goal kicking. His defense as a half back is very important and his enthusiasm gives the team a lift. And he's fast. He stayed with Wakmsley when he broke away.

A more balanced post. Lino is potentially a great player, it just needs to be more consistent, in fact if anything I think he tries to hard at times.

Truth is we are picking turds here, we are unbeaten, win most games easily, so what’s the issue. any other set of fans would be delirious.

It’s a new team and in truth a very young one by championship standards, it will take time.

If you want an idea of what’s possible look at the Wigan game. I know it was a friendly, and they were not full strength, but imo if it had gone the full 80 we’d have thrashed them. That was the best rugby we’ve played all year. They will click soon enough.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13527
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200618 years64th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:5010th May 24 15:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1/10

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm  
vastman wrote:
A more balanced post. Lino is potentially a great player, it just needs to be more consistent, in fact if anything I think he tries to hard at times.

Truth is we are picking turds here, we are unbeaten, win most games easily, so what’s the issue. any other set of fans would be delirious.

It’s a new team and in truth a very young one by championship standards, it will take time.

If you want an idea of what’s possible look at the Wigan game. I know it was a friendly, and they were not full strength, but imo if it had gone the full 80 we’d have thrashed them. That was the best rugby we’ve played all year. They will click soon enough.

Whilst only a friendly I liked what I saw, the attack was slick, everyone knew there role, and Lino and Gale were nowhere to be seen.

Sheffield have shown they can rack up a big score, I don't think we'll have the luxury of knowing we can limit the opposition to two tries or so on Friday so the attack needs to be on it.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2994
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:4911th May 24 10:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We're all Trin aren't we?

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 pm  
Dr Dreadnought wrote:
Coming down on top of Thaler would've been a softer landing. There's plenty of padding there these days

Even so, there would still only be one winner.... :lol:
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years47th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:0512th May 24 12:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Toulouse next : Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 pm  
vastman wrote:

I don’t agree re Lino.

He’s an average to poor organiser doesn’t offer much in regards strike although admittedly he does have his moments.

On the plus side he’s got a decent kicking game and is a reasonable defender.

He’s not a new signing he’s been with us since 2021 and he’s 30 years old.

The fact of the matter is he’s been displaced as the key halfback by 35 year old Luke Gale whose best days are far behind him.

He’s not even standing out at Championship level behind a generally dominant pack. That to me does not point towards him being a potentially great player.

Rightly or wrongly we have to have an eye on next year and target signings for that early. Gale is will be retiring, Russell coming in but I feel we need another half preferably a runner to compliment Russell who is an organising half.

Lino is fine for this year but moving forward he probably needs to start next season as our back up half or at another club if we are to meet the ambitions of our new owners and push for mid table SL in 2025.
PreviousNext