JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 20168 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 23 09:4824th Oct 23 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: House of Ĺeague Carter/ swap deal interview : Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:09 am  
Carter seems to be deflecting from any blame here. Whilst he has done wonders in the past, clear to see that in recent years he's let the squad get gradually weaker.

He allowed us to go into the season with one recognised fullback, that was plain for all to see. Gaskell at fb didn't work last year, should have been addressed and is the route cause of most of our issues this year.

I would say we were clearly light at 9 too. Argument that we had 3 in Hood, Kay and Bowes perhaps but for whatever reason Bowes doesn't seem to really be fancied there.

Top it off, our club captain and presumably one of the top earners played 6 all last year. Even with him we barely stayed up, he was replaced with a championship prospect.

We let Batchelor go and bring in an ex NRL player at the end of his career in Proctor. Obviously no knowledge of this, but its reasonable to assume Proctor will be costing us more than we offered Batchelor. How can that be justified, one of our best players last year, coming into his prime should surely be worth more to us?

Again not sure of all the details here, but Gaskell was seemingly brought in to cover FB and half (although FB never worked out for him). Presumably costing us more than we offered Hampshire (if there was an offer) was who was decent enough cover for both these spots. Carter in charge of recruitment/retention and negotiations has not been a success in recent years
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20238
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 23:1827th Apr 24 22:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: House of Ĺeague Carter/ swap deal interview : Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:25 am  
The main point I get from your post is we don't know any of those details, so can't see how you can draw a conclusion.
RWB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain246No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 20168 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 23 09:4824th Oct 23 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: House of Ĺeague Carter/ swap deal interview : Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:00 am  
I think it is reasonably safe to assume Proctor + Gaskell cost trin more than Batchelor + Hampshire? Regardless, conclusion we can draw is that those in charge(MC) sent us into this season with a squad not up to scratch or with sufficient cover. That is something we shouldn't forget.
RankPostsTeam
International Star327
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201311 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 21:1824th Apr 24 21:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: House of Ĺeague Carter/ swap deal interview : Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:15 am  
The trouble is that it's getting to the point Pops where,if we don't start winning, and there's very little time left, people will draw their own conclusions, right or wrong.I agree with the sentiment that we should have employed a Kear-type director of rugby, or at least someone on a part-time retainer type deal to advise on player recruitment and retention, but that person would have, almost certainly, demanded more resources,and therein lies the rub.I will always be grateful to Mike Carter for saving our great club,but at the very core he's a money counter and not a 'dyed in the wool' rugby man that we've needed to do the wheeling and dealing these last few years.But it is what it is, and if we could win tonight it will do us the world of good.
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player23No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 20231 year289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jul 23 16:5518th Jun 23 10:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: House of Ĺeague Carter/ swap deal interview : Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:16 pm  
Michael Carter has on the whole done a very good job as chairman and CEO, but I do think that this was the one season to adopt the philosophy of 'speculate to accumulate'.
With the ground improvements at long last coming to fruition what an acute disappointment it will be to be relegated.
The irony of that situation is what certainly deflates myself and other long serving, long suffering supporters.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20238
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 23:1827th Apr 24 22:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

In our context, we speculated by getting Smith, hoping to accumulate by developing him into a SL player quickly.

It's not, spend money you haven't got to get a better player hoping they don't get injured and hoping they'll turn your team around.

Saying Carter should speculate to accumulate is like telling someone at a food bank to shop at Waitrose as they'll be healthier.
It's probably true, but it doesn't help them.

I accept recruitment hasn't been great over the past couple of years but Carter is only going to pay for people the coach wanted.
It would have been nice if Lineham and Gaskill had been better, but they aren't, so we have to move on with what we have.
Next year, whichever division we are in, a lot of contracts will end and Mash (or whoever) can build his own team.

Just need a win to set that ball rolling.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain349
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 20195 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 19:4827th Apr 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

FOREVERTRIN wrote:

I agree with the sentiment that we should have employed a Kear-type director of rugby, or at least someone on a part-time retainer type deal to advise on player recruitment and retention, but that person would have, almost certainly, demanded more resources,and therein lies the rub.I will always be grateful to Mike Carter for saving our great club,but at the very core he's a money counter and not a 'dyed in the wool' rugby man that we've needed to do the wheeling and dealing these last few years.But it is what it is, and if we could win tonight it will do us the world of good.

I imagine that (and mostly through necessity) MC’s first words to anyone in the club are “No” whenever asked something. The spreadsheet will always win - that is the single reason why we still exist, but also in the same vein that is the single reason why we exist in the current form. Squad perpetually diluted year on year.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain349
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 20195 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 19:4827th Apr 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

First25 wrote:
Michael Carter has on the whole done a very good job as chairman and CEO, but I do think that this was the one season to adopt the philosophy of 'speculate to accumulate'.
With the ground improvements at long last coming to fruition what an acute disappointment it will be to be relegated.
The irony of that situation is what certainly deflates myself and other long serving, long suffering supporters.

MC hasn’t done a great job as CEO. The CEO is the whole brained visionary who energises the room when they walk in, unites all types of people and stakeholders - internal and external, excites business and navigates the ship through waters both choppy and calm.

Michael is a great CFO, or financial controller. The Key holder, the protectorate of the treasury, charged by the board to keep the business liquid and trading. Michael is a great financial controller.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35944
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 09:4526th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

RWB wrote:
Carter seems to be deflecting from any blame here. Whilst he has done wonders in the past, clear to see that in recent years he's let the squad get gradually weaker.

He allowed us to go into the season with one recognised fullback, that was plain for all to see. Gaskell at fb didn't work last year, should have been addressed and is the route cause of most of our issues this year.

I would say we were clearly light at 9 too. Argument that we had 3 in Hood, Kay and Bowes perhaps but for whatever reason Bowes doesn't seem to really be fancied there.

Top it off, our club captain and presumably one of the top earners played 6 all last year. Even with him we barely stayed up, he was replaced with a championship prospect.

We let Batchelor go and bring in an ex NRL player at the end of his career in Proctor. Obviously no knowledge of this, but its reasonable to assume Proctor will be costing us more than we offered Batchelor. How can that be justified, one of our best players last year, coming into his prime should surely be worth more to us?

Again not sure of all the details here, but Gaskell was seemingly brought in to cover FB and half (although FB never worked out for him). Presumably costing us more than we offered Hampshire (if there was an offer) was who was decent enough cover for both these spots. Carter in charge of recruitment/retention and negotiations has not been a success in recent years

He hasn't let the squad weaken o purpose!!!

We have lost 300k in central funding and have had to replace a pitch, lights and renovate the Cats bar roof from our own funds. Where do people expect him to find that money, his sock draw?

Seriously though, I honestly can't understand why people who I assume run their own finances in a prudent manner seem to believe that somehow magic money exist for a RL club - it doesn't.

Our crowds are crap and always have been in SL, it's taken years to win back the trust of local businesses, and endless delays through no fault of our own to get the ground finally updated.

Do fans honestly think they could do better? I know most of us do but I also know most of us wouldn't last ten minutes. I get it that for fans the sport is a bit of a fantasy to help lighten the realities of life, but that's on the pitch. Off the pitch the rules of the real world apply, thats a fact, it's final, there is no argument.

Carter and Co have not weakened anything, circumstances have, and if fans can't work that out then they are not looking.

Can we just not be realistic, please. We've hit a hump in the road, but together we can get over it, pointing fingers simply doesn't help, never has.
Last edited by vastman on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext