FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers - Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS No Score After 19
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Murphy on his way then
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20145
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200815 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:4528th Mar 24 19:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Murphy on his way then : Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:23 pm  
Pat Bateman wrote:
I remember watching one of the SMTMUK podcasts abit ago, and that Craig was talking about Corey Hall and Murphy, who are both on his books, playing together long term, but then backtracked about Murphy. This is about 4 month ago, I thought then he wouldn’t be staying past this year as Murphy obviously values himself differently to how Wakefield do.

It's not that Murphy values himself differently. It's the fact that the Roosters do. Doesn't make Wakefield's valuation wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach944
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200816 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 19:254th Mar 24 19:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
living in the shadow of tonie carroll's chin

Re: Murphy on his way then : Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:17 pm  
Slugger McBatt wrote:
It was the Roosters who applied for a special exemption for Joseph Suuali to play before he was 18, who had barely played with adults at that stage, and they blooded him as soon as they got it. They don't do too badly.

What a convenient choice of player to choose slugger :lol:
It's certainly no coincidence that the Roosters applied for an early dispensation for him to play as he is a generational superstar
I don't suppose that you've got any more examples have you?
Suuali was chased by every NRL club and also the Australian Rugby Union clubs too whilst he was still in high school and the fact that the Roosters got him on a contract that allowed him to have a get out clause at the end of 2023 to join Rugby Australia says just what a prodigious talent talent that he was as a junior
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player745
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 20222 years112th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:3226th Mar 24 03:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Murphy on his way then : Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 pm  
The Sua'ali'i example says more about the residual attraction of the Union World Cup than anything else… Union is a very minor sport here in Australia now… the club scene is barely amateur level… NSW Waratahs still attract some attention and internationals draw crowds … but it’s only really the World Cup that gets column inches.

League still has the mentality of a parochial ‘Australian’ sport… imagine if that changes to a global view???
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13452
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200617 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:4728th Mar 24 15:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1/10

Re: Murphy on his way then : Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:11 pm  
Seen the Roosters have signed Dom Young, plays on the right, but it's another body in front of Murphy in their squad.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years186th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 24 02:5928th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

Re: Murphy on his way then : Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:38 pm  
The Chin's Back wrote:
What a convenient choice of player to choose slugger :lol:
It's certainly no coincidence that the Roosters applied for an early dispensation for him to play as he is a generational superstar
I don't suppose that you've got any more examples have you?
Suuali was chased by every NRL club and also the Australian Rugby Union clubs too whilst he was still in high school and the fact that the Roosters got him on a contract that allowed him to have a get out clause at the end of 2023 to join Rugby Australia says just what a prodigious talent talent that he was as a junior

The point I was making was that the Roosters have a good track record of putting young players in the first team and watching them develop at first grade. Yes, Suuali is once in a generation type player, but Sam Walker isn't, and he was made to find his feet in the glare of the spotlight rather than in the feeder clubs. And there a lot of players who are surprisingly young, given that they have been playing for the Roosters starting thirteen for a long time.

You want more examples? Okay.

For example, Joey Manu made his Roosters debut at 20 and is still in the first team. Victor Radley made his debut when he was 19 and has been a mainstay ever since. He is only 24. Sam Walker was 18 when he made his Roosters debut and is the first choice half-back. Latrell Mitchell had his debut with the Roosters when he was 18, after going through their youth system, and became a mainstay until he left for the Bunnies.

The point I was making is that the Roosters are good at blooding youngsters, so it shouldn't be a hindrance. Only time will tell. For every Dom Young that goes over there, there's a Ryan Hall. For some it works. For others it doesn't.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach944
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200816 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 19:254th Mar 24 19:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
living in the shadow of tonie carroll's chin

Re: Murphy on his way then : Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:48 pm  
Slugger McBatt wrote:
The point I was making was that the Roosters have a good track record of putting young players in the first team and watching them develop at first grade. Yes, Suuali is once in a generation type player, but Sam Walker isn't, and he was made to find his feet in the glare of the spotlight rather than in the feeder clubs. And there a lot of players who are surprisingly young, given that they have been playing for the Roosters starting thirteen for a long time.

You want more examples? Okay.

For example, Joey Manu made his Roosters debut at 20 and is still in the first team. Victor Radley made his debut when he was 19 and has been a mainstay ever since. He is only 24. Sam Walker was 18 when he made his Roosters debut and is the first choice half-back. Latrell Mitchell had his debut with the Roosters when he was 18, after going through their youth system, and became a mainstay until he left for the Bunnies.

The point I was making is that the Roosters are good at blooding youngsters, so it shouldn't be a hindrance. Only time will tell. For every Dom Young that goes over there, there's a Ryan Hall. For some it works. For others it doesn't.

None of those junior signings that you have highlighted have come from SL Slugger?

Now that the Roosters have signed Dom Young who must surely be well ahead of murphy then I will re post my original comments

The Chin's Back wrote:
Murphy is such a natural athlete and good luck to him for backing himself by choosing to try his luck in the NRL with the Roosters.
IMO he has chosen the wrong club to go to (Although they may have been his only option?) as they generally lure the cream of the crop to the club rather than experiment with young and relatively inexperienced players and especially from the SL.
IMO he will be back in SL within 12 months of starting at the Roosters and will join a SL club on a mega contract

Wrong NRL club choice for Murphy IMO although he is still relatively young so I guess that time will tell
RankPostsTeam
International Star2161
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 04 201112 years144th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 15:3628th Mar 24 18:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What's pink & hard first thing in the morning?
The financial time crossword

Re: Murphy on his way then : Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:16 am  
The Chin's Back wrote:
None of those junior signings that you have highlighted have come from SL Slugger?

Now that the Roosters have signed Dom Young who must surely be well ahead of murphy then I will re post my original comments

They've signed Dom as a future centre, so plenty of chances for Murphy :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
International Star414No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 201212 years255th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0428th Mar 24 08:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Murphy on his way then : Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:31 am  
Has it actually come out that Murphy has signed for them? it seem'd like there was contact but there's been nothing concrete? not saying that he wouldn't go if the offer was there but the press 'leaks' only seems like there was contact.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 09:0115th Feb 24 20:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Murphy on his way then : Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:22 am  
upthetrin92 wrote:
Has it actually come out that Murphy has signed for them? it seem'd like there was contact but there's been nothing concrete? not saying that he wouldn't go if the offer was there but the press 'leaks' only seems like there was contact.

Nothing signed but there has been confirmation of interest.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years186th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 24 02:5928th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

Re: Murphy on his way then : Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:49 pm  
The Chin's Back wrote:

Wrong NRL club choice for Murphy IMO although he is still relatively young so I guess that time will tell

I don't think there is any club in the NRL that lures young and inexperienced Super League players. Dom Young is probably the exception. Farnworth came through the ranks at Brisbane, so he doesn't count. Everyone else tends to be experienced.

My comment was about the Roosters using youths a lot, as you suggested that they don't lure young and experienced players full stop. The SL bit was an "especially" bit, meaning that the earlier comments about young and inexperienced was a freestanding remark. The Rooster is clearly a side that does bring through many young and inexperienced players. The ones that are there are established, but only because they started young at the Roosters.

As for other SL Roosters examples, Adrian Morley was only 23 when he signed for the Roosters, which is quite young for a forward. Jordan Tansey was only 22 when he signed for the Roosters.

Put simply, if Lewis is going to the NRL, the Roosters is a good club to go to in respect of his youth. The reason why it might not be the right team is due to the quality ahead of him, and maybe a different club would be better if he would be guaranteed a slot. Like at the Dolphins or the Titans. In that respect, Dom Young did the right thing, by being a shining light at a poor club.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rd 6 I Cas A
Swoggy Loine
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
Chris71
12m
Fevround 2