FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 28 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Scott Try, Not Converted
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Liam at hooker!
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 09:0115th Feb 24 20:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:25 am  
alegend wrote:
Do not think Mr Chester will have the guts to play him at hooker again .It will be back to K Wood and Walker . Then we will buy a hooker at end of seson. Safety first not willing to take a gamble.

Unfortunately at this level with relegation at stake, you cannot take such a gamble. Distribution was something we were massively struggling with during our losing run earlier in the season, playing someone who’s inexperienced in the position would be diabolical when more natural hookers are available.

Not to say Kay didn’t step up against a top side…
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 20213 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Oct 21 06:5511th Oct 21 06:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:58 am  
TimmySmith wrote:
Unfortunately at this level with relegation at stake, you cannot take such a gamble. Distribution was something we were massively struggling with during our losing run earlier in the season, playing someone who’s inexperienced in the position would be diabolical when more natural hookers are available.

Not to say Kay didn’t step up against a top side…

So you'd sooner play players like Walker and Crowther in the hooking role then instead of Kay, with all they're experience in that position, that makes a lot of sense, don't think you'll come up against a better side than Saints, why not give him a chance to prove himself and save the money for other positions, or would you sooner have the players in that position where by your own words distribution was something we were massively struggling with during our losing run early in the season, and I'm not criticising Walker but wasn't he in the same position as Kay is now, just my opinion like.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:31 am  
happyjack wrote:
So you'd sooner play players like Walker and Crowther in the hooking role then instead of Kay, with all they're experience in that position, that makes a lot of sense, don't think you'll come up against a better side than Saints, why not give him a chance to prove himself and save the money for other positions, or would you sooner have the players in that position where by your own words distribution was something we were massively struggling with during our losing run early in the season, and I'm not criticising Walker but wasn't he in the same position as Kay is now, just my opinion like.

Never said I’d sooner play Crowther there, as I said distribution was a real issue for us and whilst he IMO filled a gap similar to Kay, he isn’t a natural hooker. I don’t understand your comment on save the money for elsewhere… the money is already spent on Josh/Kyle Wood and Walker.

It’s one game, one game that Kay played well in but doing it consistently over a full season is another story. This is the sort of conversation we should be having in pre-season not during a season where I’ll reiterate, relegation is at stake.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35916
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 09:2029th Mar 24 09:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 am  
TimmySmith wrote:
Never said I’d sooner play Crowther there, as I said distribution was a real issue for us and whilst he IMO filled a gap similar to Kay, he isn’t a natural hooker. I don’t understand your comment on save the money for elsewhere… the money is already spent on Josh/Kyle Wood and Walker.

It’s one game, one game that Kay played well in but doing it consistently over a full season is another story. This is the sort of conversation we should be having in pre-season not during a season where I’ll reiterate, relegation is at stake.

It is one game but it was also one game for Crowther and Walker and now Walker is considered a shoe in at hooker by many. Yet neither made the impact Kay made in one game. So logically to me he needs a few more run outs in that position, see if he’s the real deal.

Imho he looks far more like a hooker than Crowther ever will and looks better suited than Walker imo.

The real question is can we spare him on the wing.

As for relegation, do Leigh have five wins in them? Maybe but we can’t stop team development for fear that this may happen. If there was just one game between us then yes but we have to show some confidence or what’s the point?

One more win and then CC needs to get experimental imo, we need some big changes because as a team we’ve gone stale.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:44 am  
vastman wrote:
It is one game but it was also one game for Crowther and Walker and now Walker is considered a shoe in at hooker by many. Yet neither made the impact Kay made in one game. So logically to me he needs a few more run outs in that position, see if he’s the real deal.

Imho he looks far more like a hooker than Crowther ever will and looks better suited than Walker imo.

The real question is can we spare him on the wing.

As for relegation, do Leigh have five wins in them? Maybe but we can’t stop team development for fear that this may happen. If there was just one game between us then yes but we have to show some confidence or what’s the point?

One more win and then CC needs to get experimental imo, we need some big changes because as a team we’ve gone stale.

Crowther never looked like a hooker and I never stated that, we had no go forward when he was at dummy half.

Walker on the other hand really stood out for me, especially at 23 it’s a difficult role to play in the middle against the big forwards but look at the games 3 wins out of 4, two of which very convincingly.

I wasn’t sure how long term we were talking here. This season you’d expect us to be safe, so sure experiment a little but whilst either Woods or Walker are available, it’s a no brainer for me.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:33 am  
TimmySmith wrote:
Crowther never looked like a hooker and I never stated that, we had no go forward when he was at dummy half.

Walker on the other hand really stood out for me, especially at 23 it’s a difficult role to play in the middle against the big forwards but look at the games 3 wins out of 4, two of which very convincingly.

I wasn’t sure how long term we were talking here. This season you’d expect us to be safe, so sure experiment a little but whilst either Woods or Walker are available, it’s a no brainer for me.

It is a brainer though as both Woods are OCC as far as I’m aware. This puts us in a very good position in this case.

If Kay is the real deal then one or both of the Woods could be let go. Knowing Kay is the business and Walker is great cover then we could use the cash elsewhere or sign another no 9. I know that sound harsh but Woody K is knocking on and Wood J is injury prone even by our standards. We have to rebuild.

To me it’s our speed and distribution that have let us down this season.

Anyway it’s pure speculation but n our part so we will see.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:50 am  
vastman wrote:
It is a brainer though as both Woods are OCC as far as I’m aware. This puts us in a very good position in this case.

If Kay is the real deal then one or both of the Woods could be let go. Knowing Kay is the business and Walker is great cover then we could use the cash elsewhere or sign another no 9. I know that sound harsh but Woody K is knocking on and Wood J is injury prone even by our standards. We have to rebuild.

To me it’s our speed and distribution that have let us down this season.

Anyway it’s pure speculation but n our part so we will see.

Do you not think the recently rumoured Liam Hood would suit better then?

I agree all speculation and actually happy for another player to be given a chance but I just see better options.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 20213 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Oct 21 06:5511th Oct 21 06:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 pm  
TimmySmith wrote:

No you didn't say you'd play Crowther there but did not complain when he did even though you had concerns over distribution issues, Kay got the chance on Friday night like Walker had previously and took his opportunity just like Walker has, there's very little to play for this season realistically, so why not give him further opportunities, as for my comment which you don't understand Kyle Wood is out of contract at the end of the season, and the general consensus on here is he won't be retained, if both Kay and Walker do well enough then that should allow the club to concentrate on other areas of team recruitment where the glaring problems are far more obvious, hope that helps you understand my comment slightly easier.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player836No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 20213 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:23 pm  
happyjack wrote:
No you didn't say you'd play Crowther there but did not complain when he did even though you had concerns over distribution issues, Kay got the chance on Friday night like Walker had previously and took his opportunity just like Walker has, there's very little to play for this season realistically, so why not give him further opportunities, as for my comment which you don't understand Kyle Wood is out of contract at the end of the season, and the general consensus on here is he won't be retained, if both Kay and Walker do well enough then that should allow the club to concentrate on other areas of team recruitment where the glaring problems are far more obvious, hope that helps you understand my comment slightly easier.

How do you know, are you psychic? I had no problem with Crowther being in the middle due his defence efforts but we had no go forward with him there. That was always my issue, sorry if I didn’t post it on here… give me an hour and I’ll be sure to let you know what I’m having for tea just so you’re not missing out on any information.

I know that Wood is out of contract but taking a risk on a player who (let’s just reiterate) has played one game in the position, a critical position at that is one that will see us in a relegation scrap should it not pay off. It’s a much more sensible decision to spend the money available should Wood leave, on a replacement for him. Exactly like we should do with Westy.

As I said earlier in my response to Vasty, I have no issue with Chester giving him a chance, especially as we should now be safe but we need a proper pre season with our starting players already decided.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Liam at hooker! : Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:51 pm  
TimmySmith wrote:
Do you not think the recently rumoured Liam Hood would suit better then?

I agree all speculation and actually happy for another player to be given a chance but I just see better options.

Hoping for better than Hood, though if he was at least injury proof I’d take him.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
6m
The Record-Breaking Good Friday Derby Massacre