RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Holmes/mata’utia
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31732
Location: Poodle Power!
Trojan Horse wrote:
Agree with most of that but you need to add Eseh to the props as he has a full time contract like Aydin. I would still be looking for 2 props though.

My opinion is we need quality additions at prop, hooker and possibly loose if Westy doesn’t stay.


For me the hooking roll is open. If Brad Walker carries on as he is and makes the role his own, then he and perhaps Bowes could be there for the next five seasons. So for me as yet it's not a priority.

Both Woods are still pretty useful.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am  

User avatarKettykat wrote:
Kettykat User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 am
Posts: 952
vastman wrote:
Why I agree with a lot of what you say, it's not tit for tat it's just debate. :THINK: :D

I jest
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 2433
Location: Tomorrowland
On the last Zoom call, Carter said our priority in terms of recruitment was a second rower and a hooker and that they were looking at potentially bringing in a new fullback for next season.

I can`t quite see the need for a another SR but I guess we don`t know how things will change going into next year.
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am  

User avatarJINJER wrote:
JINJER User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 10:47 am
Posts: 7240
Location: WF6,a small town in Wakefield
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo wrote:
Weren't there some some alleged issues regarding Holmes a couple of seasons back that maybe why he isn't being retained and why we should steer clear?

No, it was a mountain out of a mole hill, If it’s the one I know about.
Twitter...@GINGERWILDCAT
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:34 am  

Trojan Horse wrote:
Trojan Horse Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 3526
homme vaste wrote:
On the last Zoom call, Carter said our priority in terms of recruitment was a second rower and a hooker and that they were looking at potentially bringing in a new fullback for next season.

I can`t quite see the need for a another SR but I guess we don`t know how things will change going into next year.
vastman wrote:
Trojan Horse wrote:
Agree with most of that but you need to add Eseh to the props as he has a full time contract like Aydin. I would still be looking for 2 props though.

My opinion is we need quality additions at prop, hooker and possibly loose if Westy doesn’t stay.


For me the hooking roll is open. If Brad Walker carries on as he is and makes the role his own, then he and perhaps Bowes could be there for the next five seasons. So for me as yet it's not a priority.

Both Woods are still pretty useful.


I think your being more generous on the woods than I would be. Josh while being a great defender doesn’t offer what we need in distribution or speed of thought. There’s also the fact he’s spent more time on the treatment bench than playing over this and last season. I feel we can’t carry a player in a pivotal position who’s susceptible to injury unless he’s a very good player. He’s always put it in on the field so would thank him for his efforts.

Kyle Wood I think is a bench 9. He seems to have found his feet again coming on from the bench and taking advantage of tired defenders but he’s not a starting 9. He will also be 34 next year? Been a great servant for the club.

Walker has been good at 9 but is he long term the answer. Not sure yet but if he enjoys playing there and produces the goods why not.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31732
Location: Poodle Power!
Trojan Horse wrote:
I think your being more generous on the woods than I would be. Josh while being a great defender doesn’t offer what we need in distribution or speed of thought. There’s also the fact he’s spent more time on the treatment bench than playing over this and last season. I feel we can’t carry a player in a pivotal position who’s susceptible to injury unless he’s a very good player. He’s always put it in on the field so would thank him for his efforts.

Kyle Wood I think is a bench 9. He seems to have found his feet again coming on from the bench and taking advantage of tired defenders but he’s not a starting 9. He will also be 34 next year? Been a great servant for the club.

Walker has been good at 9 but is he long term the answer. Not sure yet but if he enjoys playing there and produces the goods why not.


Let's be fair on J. Wood, at no time in his Trinity career has he played with a confident team, so I think we owe him that chance. His injury issues are a woryy though.

Woody K has a season lest in him by the looks, even if not a first choice anymore he's handy to have around.

The key is Walker, if he decides to go for it as a hooker and the coaches agree then IMHO he will make it. He's a clever player who will continue to improve regardless of position, it just happens that his big chance has come at 9 which was probably unexpected.

He reminds me a bit of Roby in style and NO I'm not saying he's the new Roby but he has similar attributes.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 2433
Location: Tomorrowland
vastman wrote:
Let's be fair on J. Wood, at no time in his Trinity career has he played with a confident team, so I think we owe him that chance. His injury issues are a woryy though.

Woody K has a season lest in him by the looks, even if not a first choice anymore he's handy to have around.

The key is Walker, if he decides to go for it as a hooker and the coaches agree then IMHO he will make it. He's a clever player who will continue to improve regardless of position, it just happens that his big chance has come at 9 which was probably unexpected.

He reminds me a bit of Roby in style and NO I'm not saying he's the new Roby but he has similar attributes.


I think wherever Brad Walker is asked to play he will do a job he`s just that sort of player, I have no issue with him filling in at 9 if we are short though having watched him captain England Academy and be so influential as a ball playing loose it would be a huge shame for me to be a half decent hooker, I think he can be so much more than that if he gets a chance to play in one of his natural positions, 13 or half.

You see so many players look so promising at that academy level and then fail to make any sort of impact at pro level but I think Walker is different, just from what I have seen of him in the first team - I genuinely believe he can go on to be one of the best.
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:08 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31732
Location: Poodle Power!
homme vaste wrote:
I think wherever Brad Walker is asked to play he will do a job he`s just that sort of player, I have no issue with him filling in at 9 if we are short though having watched him captain England Academy and be so influential as a ball playing loose it would be a huge shame for me to be a half decent hooker, I think he can be so much more than that if he gets a chance to play in one of his natural positions, 13 or half.

You see so many players look so promising at that academy level and then fail to make any sort of impact at pro level but I think Walker is different, just from what I have seen of him in the first team - I genuinely believe he can go on to be one of the best.


I don't get that logic at all. How do you know he'd only be half decent? How do you know LF is his natural adult position?? Dave Fifita started as a centre! Players develop after they leave age limit and they very often find different toles that suit them better.

Bill - Winger <> Centre
Lyn - FB <> Centre
Kaye - HB <> Winger
K Wood - HB <> Hooker
Arona - LF <> Prop
Arundel - Centre <> now seems to be a SR in the making

It goes on, positions are not set, players adapt as they change. FWIW I don't think Walker is big enough to be a top LF but only time will tell.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 14623
Location: wakefield
vastman wrote:
I don't get that logic at all. How do you know he'd only be half decent? How do you know LF is his natural adult position?? Dave Fifita started as a centre! Players develop after they leave age limit and they very often find different toles that suit them better.

Bill - Winger <> Centre
Lyn - FB <> Centre
Kaye - HB <> Winger
K Wood - HB <> Hooker
Arona - LF <> Prop
Arundel - Centre <> now seems to be a SR in the making

It goes on, positions are not set, players adapt as they change. FWIW I don't think Walker is big enough to be a top LF but only time will tell.



I do agree on this.
Walker is clearly gifted in the skills needed to play rugby league.
But like others he can apply the to more than one position.
In today's game there is a speed associated with 6 and a bulk associated with 13 that he'd have to develop to make the best of those roles. He isn't the finished article and focusing on a position will help him.
The same applies at hooker.

There is no doubt Roby would make an excellent 13. But he's focused on a position that works for him and his team needs.
Sinfield would have made an excellent Hooker, and did for England a couple of times against Kiwis.

So Walker for me could be 6, 13 or 9......but right now, concentrating on 9 will benefit him most.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Holmes/mata’utia Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:31 am  

User avatarKettykat wrote:
Kettykat User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 am
Posts: 952
Strange one stating that we are looking at bringing a fullback in , we have max and Walker and Rocky does a decent cover job when required .Obviously don’t know what the thinking is but all will be reviewed in due course . On the hooking front I thought Walker as a loose forwards when he arrived but obviously can do a sterling job at hooker ,but would like to see him at loose as I think in time he will have the size and skill set to make his mark in the game at that position .Early days yet for his development and looks to have a very bright future in the game along side others coming through may I add .
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alegend, charlie, comeontrinity, cosmicat, djcool, FIL, KevW60349, Khlav Kalash, kyassor, lampyboy, LG83, normycat, phe13, Roverman1, Scarlet Pimpernell, TimmySmith, Upanunder, wakeytrin, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo and 340 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 25th Sep
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-10Penrith
CH
LIVE
Batley22-10Bradford
Fri 24th Sep
SL RND: 26 Warrington0-19Hull KR
NRL RND: 28 Souths36-16Manly
Thu 23rd Sep
SL RND: 26 Wigan0-8Leeds
Sun 19th Sep
SL RND: 25 Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH RND: 22 Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH RND: 22 Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH RND: 22 Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH RND: 22 Halifax10-12Batley
CH RND: 22 Swinton16-26Widnes
CH RND: 22 York30-22LondonB
L1 RND: 22 Doncaster31-10Hunslet
WSL RND: 16 St.HelensW52-0WiganW
WSL RND: 16 YorkW28-14CastlefordW
Sat 18th Sep
NRL RND: 27 Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH RND: 22 Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1 RND: 22 Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
SL RND: 25 Salford26-14St.Helens
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::