FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Tanginoa Try, Lewis Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Leigh
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2630
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:1822nd Mar 24 13:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 am  
atomic wrote:
:CLAP: :CLAP:

I wonder if you would be clapping that comment if Leigh didn't find themselves almost dead certain for relegation, I think not.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35916
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 09:2029th Mar 24 09:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am  
homme vaste wrote:
Leigh were deemed to be the most prepared short term to take the position, they weren`t miles ahead of everyone else, in fact I would go as far to say if there wasn`t uncertainty around travel restrictions then it probably wouldn`t of been leigh.

I really don`t see how we can say the likes of Fev are incompatible for SL when you put them against the likes of Cas or us, they are a well run club of recent, great production line, better facilities than either of us, a good core fan base like us and Cas, all they are behind is 6 or 7 quality players in there first team which given an off season knowing they are in SL and with central funding that would go along way to catching them up. Can you come up with any reason as to why Fev would be incompatible yet we would? Other than us already been in SL?

Also, if it wouldn't make sense for us not to be in SL with an Elite Academy Licence then what about the likes of London, Newcastle, Bradford? I get two out of those three are deemed to be expansion areas but the point still stands, they aren`t in SL and probably won`t be anytime soon.

For me the team that wins the championship this season should come up for me, likely to be Tolouse or Fev, both are just as compatible as the majority of clubs in the league in my opinion.

Sorry but you are wrong, Leigh was the only team deemed remotely capable, I've been told this by a few people,

You miss the point, it's not that Fev is not incompatible, virtually no team is compatible these days with just one year's grace, surely you get that?

Yes, it would be ludicrous regarding the Elite Academise if we went down. You're somewhat twisting it here. Newcastle and London go theirs based on location and spreading the game, let's be honest here and Bradford didn't get a licence to start with. However, the real issue is if we went bust on relegation, MC says we won't and I believe him but it's time-limited. If we don't get the new stand and we wallow in the Championship too long then that won't last.

The game needs stability, it's the biggest single difference between SL and the NRL.

Do you think the NRL would invite Fev to join them, Do you think it would ask us if we weren't already here?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2633No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 201212 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 09:5916th Mar 24 17:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:31 am  
Promotion and relegation should be taken over a 3 season average.
Promotion.
If you finisg top twice over the 3 seasons you are promoted.
If A different team finishes top over the 3 seasons it goes to a points difference.
If in the first 2 seasons a team finishes top it gives it the opportunity to recruit during season 3
Relegation.
The same as promotion but in reverse.
A team finishing bottom during season 1 can at least be given the opportunity to recruit for season 2 and 3.
If you finish bottom 2 seasons on the go at least you know your going to be relegated at the end of season 3
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:36 am  
homme vaste wrote:
I wonder if you would be clapping that comment if Leigh didn't find themselves almost dead certain for relegation, I think not.

Because he's being realistic and you're clinging to dogma. If Covid has done anything it's put the Championship even further behind the SL, the gap is now enormous. Doesn't matter whether you like it or not it's a fact. I've been waching the game for 40 years and I remember a time when a promoted club could actually go on and win the comp within a season or two, not a chance now,. It's a different world and that pomantic part of the game is dead, I wish it wasn't but it is.

So case study Fev.

The pitch slopes, not just a bit but a lot, this is totally unacceptable for an SL club. That would cost their first year's players budget to sort.

The floodlights are totally inadequate.

The ground still only holds 7,000 I believe, 3000 short.

The club lacks all the basics of a junior setup.

Its corporate support and facilities virtually non-existent when compared to top SL clubs.

Featherstone is not even a town it's a village, even if you tag on Pontefract it's not a huge catchment area and it's one it shares with two existing SL clubs.

Fev has never in their entire history been a fully professional club, those involved have very limited experience, at least Leigh has had a few goes at it.

And so on.

Of course a lot of the above applies to us and Cas but as they say, possession is 9/10 of the law. We are lacking as a SL club but nowhere near as lacking as Fev.

P&R in its historical sense is dead, we sold that bit of heritage when we took the SKY coin, but like all dinosaurs, it's taken a long time for the tail to get the message to the brain.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2630
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 am  
vastman wrote:
Because he's being realistic and you're clinging to dogma. If Covid has done anything it's put the Championship even further behind the SL, the gap is now enormous. Doesn't matter whether you like it or not it's a fact. I've been waching the game for 40 years and I remember a time when a promoted club could actually go on and win the comp within a season or two, not a chance now,. It's a different world and that pomantic part of the game is dead, I wish it wasn't but it is.

So case study Fev.

The pitch slopes, not just a bit but a lot, this is totally unacceptable for an SL club. That would cost their first year's players budget to sort.

The floodlights are totally inadequate.

The ground still only holds 7,000 I believe, 3000 short.

The club lacks all the basics of a junior setup.

Its corporate support and facilities virtually non-existent when compared to top SL clubs.

Featherstone is not even a town it's a village, even if you tag on Pontefract it's not a huge catchment area and it's one it shares with two existing SL clubs.

Fev has never in their entire history been a fully professional club, those involved have very limited experience, at least Leigh has had a few goes at it.

And so on.

Of course a lot of the above applies to us and Cas but as they say, possession is 9/10 of the law. We are lacking as a SL club but nowhere near as lacking as Fev.

P&R in its historical sense is dead, we sold that bit of heritage when we took the SKY coin, but like all dinosaurs, it's taken a long time for the tail to get the message to the brain.

By your own admission a lot of what you stipulate applies to us and Cas also, regardless of what you reference on possession that's just not true in this case, if we go back to licensing so be it, we will also see 90% of the pressure Fev will see to meet the criteria, that`s just the truth, as we stand SL, Championship all leagues are about who is the most competitive on the field at the end of the day, that's what gets you promoted, that's what gets you relegated.

I do agree by the way, it`s very hard for a promoted team to be competitive and stay up but that's just sport, we shouldn't look for ways to help clubs out to be a SL team when there are at least 15/16 teams wanting a spot in a league of 12. Of course teams that are currently in the league and have been for years have the advantage, it`s a step up for them and that's the way it should be, if they are good enough they stay up and build something, simple.

By the way, he`s not being realistic, he`s showing support for something that suits a club he supports right now, as I say if Leigh weren't in the position that they were in currently you and I both know he would not be on here clapping that comment.

1. We started the season with P&R 2.The disruption from Covid up until now is very minimal 3. We have a system in place to ensure a fair league table come the end of the season. Why, again do we change the goalpost mid season?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2974
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:0629th Mar 24 13:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We're all Trin aren't we?

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 am  
lampyboy wrote:
Promotion and relegation should be taken over a 3 season average.
Promotion.
If you finisg top twice over the 3 seasons you are promoted.
If A different team finishes top over the 3 seasons it goes to a points difference.
If in the first 2 seasons a team finishes top it gives it the opportunity to recruit during season 3
Relegation.
The same as promotion but in reverse.
A team finishing bottom during season 1 can at least be given the opportunity to recruit for season 2 and 3.
If you finish bottom 2 seasons on the go at least you know your going to be relegated at the end of season 3

I need a lie down in a dark room...... :roll:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2306No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 16 200915 years182nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:5129th Mar 24 10:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am  
If we're scrapping promotion and relegation then we might aswell scrap the Championship and League 1, because if they've nothing to play for what's the point?

With all the recent outrage over the European Super League in football, what's the difference if we scrap P&R? And many fans would be in favour if we if we weren't already in SL?
Last edited by imwakefieldtillidie on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5086No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 03 200519 years220th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Nov 22 09:4424th Nov 22 09:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - The PRIDE of Sporting Wakefield

THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am  
homme vaste wrote:
By your own admission a lot of what you stipulate applies to us and Cas also, regardless of what you reference on possession that's just not true in this case, if we go back to licensing so be it, we will also see 90% of the pressure Fev will see to meet the criteria, that`s just the truth, as we stand SL, Championship all leagues are about who is the most competitive on the field at the end of the day, that's what gets you promoted, that's what gets you relegated.

I do agree by the way, it`s very hard for a promoted team to be competitive and stay up but that's just sport, we shouldn't look for ways to help clubs out to be a SL team when there are at least 15/16 teams wanting a spot in a league of 12. Of course teams that are currently in the league and have been for years have the advantage, it`s a step up for them and that's the way it should be, if they are good enough they stay up and build something, simple.

By the way, he`s not being realistic, he`s showing support for something that suits a club he supports right now, as I say if Leigh weren't in the position that they were in currently you and I both know he would not be on here clapping that comment.

1. We started the season with P&R 2.The disruption from Covid up until now is very minimal 3. We have a system in place to ensure a fair league table come the end of the season. Why, again do we change the goalpost mid season?

I'd have to disagree with that bit, but even on a points based system alone and with everyone managing to play all their assigned fixtures we still don't have that due to the stupid loop fixtures and magic weekend games.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:43 pm  
imwakefieldtillidie wrote:
If we're scrapping promotion and relegation then we might aswell scrap the Championship and League 1, because if they've nothing to play for what's the point?

With all the recent outrage over the European Super League in football, what's the difference if we scrap P&R? And many fans would be in favour if we if we weren't already in SL?

Not true any more than it's true in Australia.

Every club should have the right to play in SL I agree but not via the antiquated method of one up one down, it's utterly destructive.

I don't actually have a formula of my own but I do know the existing one is totally unfit for purpose.

I suppose if I were forced then I'd have a points system, of which you must get a minimum of 80 points (with the rest being partly discretionary) out of 100 to gain promotion and a three years license.

1: Win the competition obviously. 70 points.

2: Financial security deposited with the RFL to protect wages and allow the club temporary administration if club crashes, say 100k (refundable). 5 points.

3: Modern corporate facilities/players facilities/floodlights/pitch. 5 points

4: A stadium with a minimum 5,000 capacity and the ability to do that to 7,000 with a temporary structure or better a permanent one. 10 points, partly discretionary for year 1.

5: An agreement to run a U19's side, self-funded year 2, year 3 add U17's, end of year 3 apply for elite status. 10 points, partly discretionary for year 1.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2630
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Leigh : Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm  
vastman wrote:
Not true any more than it's true in Australia.

Every club should have the right to play in SL I agree but not via the antiquated method of one up one down, it's utterly destructive.

I don't actually have a formula of my own but I do know the existing one is totally unfit for purpose.

I suppose if I were forced then I'd have a points system, of which you must get a minimum of 80 points (with the rest being partly discretionary) out of 100 to gain promotion and a three years license.

1: Win the competition obviously. 70 points.

2: Financial security deposited with the RFL to protect wages and allow the club temporary administration if club crashes, say 100k (refundable). 5 points.

3: Modern corporate facilities/players facilities/floodlights/pitch. 5 points

4: A stadium with a minimum 5,000 capacity and the ability to do that to 7,000 with a temporary structure or better a permanent one. 10 points, partly discretionary for year 1.

5: An agreement to run a U19's side, self-funded year 2, year 3 add U17's, end of year 3 apply for elite status. 10 points, partly discretionary for year 1.

Surely Australia is different on the basis that its common to earn a very good fulltime salary playing outside of the NRL, you might get the odd championship player earning a good living but the majority are part time, there`s just not the money over here for that, not to mention the majority of those competitions are made up of clubs that are feeder clubs to NRL clubs, wholly owned and operated by those organisations in most situations.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
The Record-Breaking Good Friday Derby Massacre
Plum Bob
7m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
No grade A for 2025 for Trinity