JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 22 200519 years231st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:296th Feb 24 14:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:26 pm  
I really rate Joe Arundel and if any player deserves some luck its him, it will be basically like signing a new player having him back. For me Joe would be my first choice Centre, he is I think without doubt the best defender out of the options we have, his reading of the game is first class and his natural ability to know when to keep hold of the ball and when to pass make his a wingers dream Centre. The other player who I hope is given a real go this season is Brad Walker who from the all be it little I have seen of him, looks a quality player , I think we could have a real gem on our hands. I don`t have the same thoughts that Lino is going to make or break our season, firstly its a hell of a lot of pressure for a young player with limited first team experience, there is no need for that pressure, who knows what will happen with our half backs, if Miller plays at the same standard as the last two seasons I would not want him to keep his place and if Rocky plays at the same standard he has played at for the last three years then he should be in the team.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35915
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:0426th Mar 24 20:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:51 pm  
bellycouldtackle wrote:
I really rate Joe Arundel and if any player deserves some luck its him, it will be basically like signing a new player having him back. For me Joe would be my first choice Centre, he is I think without doubt the best defender out of the options we have, his reading of the game is first class and his natural ability to know when to keep hold of the ball and when to pass make his a wingers dream Centre. The other player who I hope is given a real go this season is Brad Walker who from the all be it little I have seen of him, looks a quality player , I think we could have a real gem on our hands. I don`t have the same thoughts that Lino is going to make or break our season, firstly its a hell of a lot of pressure for a young player with limited first team experience, there is no need for that pressure, who knows what will happen with our half backs, if Miller plays at the same standard as the last two seasons I would not want him to keep his place and if Rocky plays at the same standard he has played at for the last three years then he should be in the team.

Actually, Lyne is a better defender IMHO but I agree Arundel is a true centre and I would like him to be teamed with TJ.

Totally agree about Brad Walker. I think he's a S/O, not a LF.

Lino is not young nor inexperienced, sorry Belly that's nonsense. He's 25 and I reckon 50 NRL games is with 100+ SL games - if we signed a British SL SH with 100+ games under his belt at a top club you'd be wetting yourself. Lino will either fit or he won't, the ability is there.

Your allegiance to Hampshire is touching and I agree he ended last season well but even you must accept by now that he isn't the player you and so many others thought he was, He still has a chance but he hasn't earned an automatic inclusion. Miller I feel is another player who never really recovered from his injury in 2019. He's a natural choice but I do rejoice in the fact that Hampshire or Walker are there chasing his place.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years240th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm  
vastman wrote:
Actually, Lyne is a better defender IMHO but I agree Arundel is a true centre and I would like him to be teamed with TJ.

Lino is not young nor inexperienced, sorry Belly that's nonsense. He's 25 and I reckon 50 NRL games is with 100+ SL games - if we signed a British SL SH with 100+ games under his belt at a top club you'd be wetting yourself. Lino will either fit or he won't, the ability is there.

Your allegiance to Hampshire is touching and I agree he ended last season well but even you must accept by now that he isn't the player you and so many others thought he was, He still has a chance but he hasn't earned an automatic inclusion. Miller I feel is another player who never really recovered from his injury in 2019. He's a natural choice but I do rejoice in the fact that Hampshire or Walker are there chasing his place.

Hampshire is at his best in attack when he plays full back rather than as a half IMO. Problem is we have better options defensively at full back. Tough call but as you say it's good to have someone of his relative quality who can put pressure on other players and no doubt he will get a run of games over a season and be good for us.
If you want to partner Arundel with TJ what would you do with Bill?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6071No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 03 200419 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:1828th Mar 24 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:44 pm  
Schunter wrote:
vastman wrote:

Hampshire is at his best in attack when he plays full back rather than as a half IMO. Problem is we have better options defensively at full back. Tough call but as you say it's good to have someone of his relative quality who can put pressure on other players and no doubt he will get a run of games over a season and be good for us.

If Bill carries on with his 2020 form it will be a fairly easy choice between him and arundel. Arundel in his 2 games last year looked far more dangerous and showed better form. Arundel had pretty much guaranteed his self a starting centre birth but for that creepy timed injury.

That said if Bill can find that destructive form of 2018 then it’s great for the team and I hope he does.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:18 pm  
Schunter wrote:

I should clarify Bill starts as centre, it’s his to lose, I’m only suggesting that imho Arundel makes a better centre to TJ than Bill. TJ of course may not agree or Bill for that matter. Nice to have the choice.

Bill I’m certain would always first choice for the other wing spot, no disrespect to either Senior, Kershaw or Kay.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200717 years128th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:4623rd Mar 24 08:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:25 pm  
vastman wrote:

You mean Hampshire who after you watched the previous seasons highlights on you tube you actually tipped to be in the running for sl player of the year, who actually put his hand up and played injured all last season, just wondered if it had slipped your mind vasty
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2894
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years138th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:5517th Mar 24 19:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 pm  
I just hope the days of "coach's alleged favourites" are well and truly over and that each week's team selection is based on form and fitness and nothing else.. Miller in particular should only play if he deserves to, skipper or not, and not an automatic choice.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: More realistic : Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 pm  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
You mean Hampshire who after you watched the previous seasons highlights on you tube you actually tipped to be in the running for sl player of the year, who actually put his hand up and played injured all last season, just wondered if it had slipped your mind vastly

Nope, if I were coach I’d have been tempted to run with Hampshire and Walker or Miller but I’m not, I’d have spent elsewhere. However the club signed Lino, he’s going to play whether you like it or not. Despite him showing up well in the last five games I don’t think Rocky did enough to argue with Chesters decision to sign Lino and play him from game one.

I never tipped Hampshire for SL player of the year, where have you got that from! I never said any such thing.

Playing through injury is a brave thing to do but that’s hardly a basis for team selection. This is SL not Sandal third team, it’s who’s best and who’s going to win us games.

If Mason isn’t good so be it but we are not going to know unless we give him a run, no club sits an overseas signing on the bench at the start of the season, be realistic.

Your player can play at least four positions, he won’t be short of work. Maybe it’s time to reassess, maybe he isn’t the HB superstar people were hoping for, maybe though he’s a superb utility player, the sort all clubs need. Being a Jack of all trades imo is just as valuable as being a master of one.

True it stunts hopes of international honours but many a top player never played at international level.

Belly probably remains the clubs most revered local player of the last forty years at the club and he never got an international cap or ever held one position, he too started as a SH.

Hampshire is an excellent player and worth every penny we pay him but in my mind he hasn’t yet cracked the HB roll at SL level. He may do one day who knows but as a club we can’t hang about. Next time he gets a chance maybe that will be the moment, let’s hope so.

Hope that helps.
PreviousNext