FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Saints (a)
RankPostsTeam
International Star321
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 201410 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 18:1827th Apr 24 10:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The only reason they look up to you is because they chose to kneel.

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:30 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Funny we're not seeing comments of outrage from opposition fans and journos across all social media platforms for Byrnes ban. I've hardly heard a whimper about it and watching the forty 20 podcast, they said the grading seemed fair! Flip that around to the dozens of comments I saw on Harry Smith's challenge on opening night, how harshly treated Liam Watts was, how Ellis should've been banned etc and it's as though people are prepared to accept the crackdown as long as it's on the right clubs.

Honestly I'm shocked :lol:

This is one of the problems with the sport. Most fans couldn’t give a monkeys and actively revel in dogshit decisions when it goes against other clubs. I get that it’s funny etc but this has to be one of those things that we all come together on and agree is a pile of crap that needs sorting. You might laugh at Knowles being banned for 5 games this week, but you won’t be laughing when Maguire gets 12 games for gobbing off at someone etc etc. As funny as it can be to see oppo fans moaning about a decision, it’s always gonna come back and bite you too. 100% of the time
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29346
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:5911th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:32 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
It definitely isn't intended as points scoring. I respect FTV's opinion even when I disagree with it so I take his assessment on board but counter it with my own different view and I think a "similar" verdict isn't unreasonable. Saints fans can also point to comparable incidents that they've come out on the wrong end of too, although I draw the line at the conspiracy nonsense some of them have taken to.

The point of my post was the sheer inconsistency of the disciplinary. It's ludicrous that they can arrive at such wildly different sanctions for what amounts to very similar incidents. I get that no two incidents are exactly alike but twice as bad?!?! Utter nonsense..

Yeah, no points scoring intended at all on my part either. As I said above plenty of fans are happy to accept harsh punishments for players of certain clubs and not for others and that needs to stop. I had a look on the Total RL forum earlier and it was exactly that, with most of the talk being about how disgraceful it is that Dupree didn't get a ban for hitting Lees in the face....only he didn't hit him in the face but that is ignored. The same people who didn't agree with the Watts ban are fine with this one for Byrne and so on.

I'm no fan of Leeds but Lisone was hit with a 3 game ban earlier in the season that was an absolute disgrace, the Smith one the other day was shameful (and was rightfully over turned) and so on. I don't care what shirt any player is in, I just want to see consistency and common sense. Nobody could make Byrne getting 4 games and Percival 2 make sense to me because it just doesn't. I didn't want Percival to miss more games, it seemed fair enough under the current crack down you cannot then give Byrne more than 2.
Div 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 200222 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 14:373rd Apr 24 12:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:37 pm  
I thought it was a red but concede 4 seems a little out of kilter compared to what has gone before. 2 maybe more consistent.... but consistency isn't something we get from the disciplinary panel.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:43 pm  
Div wrote:
I thought it was a red but concede 4 seems a little out of kilter compared to what has gone before. 2 maybe more consistent.... but consistency isn't something we get from the disciplinary panel.

Is about what it should've been going off previous incidents IMO. I also do not have an issue with the red because that has been reasonably consistent, as long as the video ref gets enough time to intervene, which is usually via a player staying down (sometimes because they're genuinely hurt but not always. There is clearly no issue with that in this case). I just cannot go with 4 games and the big fine on top.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3879
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years107th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:1210th May 24 18:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:57 pm  
I still can't believe people thought it was a red card. A ref card FFS, on Good Friday in the biggest game of the regular season. A red card for that.

Half the build-up was talking about going to war, ripping in and the infamous GF fight. You know, the one that's the highest viewed piece of SL content on YouTube.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:49 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I still can't believe people thought it was a red card. A ref card FFS, on Good Friday in the biggest game of the regular season. A red card for that.

Half the build-up was talking about going to war, ripping in and the infamous GF fight. You know, the one that's the highest viewed piece of SL content on YouTube.

There is a big difference between living with a red card 'in the current climate' and thinking it's a red card. All being well, without ambulance chasers all over the sport, there's no way I think it's a red card but I can put up with it being one. What I can't put up with is then a guy being hit with a long ban and a big fine. The players are being battered in 3 different ways (on game day, then by being sat down and then being hit in the pocket) and the clubs, fans and the game is then missing out on seeing games between full strength teams.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11376
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200222 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 08:323rd Apr 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:05 pm  
The comparison with Percival is obviously a relevant one given the two red cards.

This may be red-vee tinted specs but when I look at the Percival one, he gets into a very similar position to Byrne (i.e. he's not side on looking to smash with the shoulder, he's pretty front on with right arm low and out to his side). So I don't think either are looking to deliberately lead with the shoulder for starters.

I think he sees the ball going down and almost tries to pull out of the tackle rather than completing it, with the Salford player running into him and Percival ending up bumping backwards. I guess the MRP have considered that Byrne was fully committed to an illegal tackle whilst Percival could argue he tried to pull out of a tackle after a player dropped the ball - i.e. less deliberate force in the action?

Just my take and admit it could be absolute bobbins, but that's what I see when I slow the Percy tackle down.

Either way, I think we can all probably agree that the Byrne tackle is not what 4-match bans are for.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5234
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years120th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 17:118th May 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:11 pm  
FearTheVee wrote:
The comparison with Percival is obviously a relevant one given the two red cards.

This may be red-vee tinted specs but when I look at the Percival one, he gets into a very similar position to Byrne (i.e. he's not side on looking to smash with the shoulder, he's pretty front on with right arm low and out to his side). So I don't think either are looking to deliberately lead with the shoulder for starters.

I think he sees the ball going down and almost tries to pull out of the tackle rather than completing it, with the Salford player running into him and Percival ending up bumping backwards. I guess the MRP have considered that Byrne was fully committed to an illegal tackle whilst Percival could argue he tried to pull out of a tackle after a player dropped the ball - i.e. less deliberate force in the action?

Just my take and admit it could be absolute bobbins, but that's what I see when I slow the Percy tackle down.

Either way, I think we can all probably agree that the Byrne tackle is not what 4-match bans are for.

As I said earlier mate, we all see incidents in different ways. I think the comparison with the Percival one is relevant, though, because it shows the levels of inconsistency or even incompetence. Even from your perspective (which is not as harsh as mine) there still isn't enough difference between the two to justify Byrne's being twice as bad. A revealing way to illustrate it is, according to the the disciplinary, Percy could have received 2 red cards for similar offences in that match and still only been as bad as Byrne's!

I know that's a bit of a convoluted way of looking at it but it really does show the ridiculous disparity.
Zig 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1673
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 20222 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 18:1511th May 24 18:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:25 pm  
FearTheVee wrote:

You are assuming the MRP has a brain between them, that’s where your argument falls :) On a serious note, I understand your view. Sadly, such infringements should be determined on pov but simply on what has happened, either two or four matches for them both.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player72No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 14 20213 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 18:003rd May 24 23:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:12 pm  
FearTheVee wrote:

Sat with my RedVee mate watching the Salford game, at the time I said something similar about the Percival tackle. But like NK says, a 4 match ban AND a £750 fine (when the base figure is £250), stretches credibility to the limit.
PreviousNext