FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 4 more years…
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7735
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 07:1423rd Apr 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:38 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I'm not saying I agree with everything WK is saying, but I think people are missing some of the points he's trying to make. We undoubtedly had success under IL - that's a fact & one shown by the stats. It was a decent period trophy wise.

The point was however that we should have had way more & I agree with that. You look at that 2010 team and there was a core to it that, if IL had kept it together for a decade, could have been absolutely dominant. Instead we've come out even with two other sides. I don't think that's massively controversial to say.

If I had one criticism of IL, he never seemed (imo) to want to be dominant. He was happy picking up and sharing the trophies. Of course he wanted to win everything, but not winning everything didn't seem to cut him as deep as it should.

I want to see us become absolutely ruthless under Danson. Simply the best on and off the field. I want the 80's and 90's Wigan back. I want opposition fans to already know, in Jan, that both trophies will have cherry and white tassels on them by the end of the season.

Realistic? Probably not, but it has been done before.

The problem I have with it is that it's a sweeping statement that makes the argument that "Everything" is/was wrong with what Tuesday club did when in reality they got (and I appreciate this is opinion) 80/90% of things of right.
The statement (and don't forget certain people have pushed this argument/narrative for years and years, usually after a defeat but strangely never after a Win or any success) doesn't acknowledge that if the club had taken the opposite stance 100% of the time that they think created any issues, such as resigning certain players, or not offering coaching roles etc to certain players we "May" not have been as successful as we have been.
As NK said, we deffo left 3 or 4 trophies out there whilst Sts/Leeds imo maximised their trophy haul better with maybe each only not winning 1 or 3 trophies they maybe could have, and winning a couple they maybe in hindsight shouldn't have.
But even with all that we finished level with them. But pretty much none of that had anything to do with IL

As for IL not caring about defeats as much as he should have, and it not cutting him deep. Seriously?
Not sure what you want him to do, have hissy fits in the press, scream and shout at players/coaches in public?
I'm glad to say that they way he conducted himself over his tenure was very professional, very considered and was well respected by pretty much everyone, every club and administrators within the game (I'm not sure Gazza Hetheringron may agree but who cares).

The 2010 team improved in some ways after that, Charnley/finch/Hoffman etc
It had to develop in later years with natural elements such as Deacon retiring, carmont retiring plus others such as Riddell, Coley, Fielden issues such as Hock and Gleeson
Salary cap issues constrict certain things as Saints are finding out now, as Leeds are finding out and have done for the last 5/6 years

We made 4 GFs in. Row and won 2, we should have won all 4
We made 5 Gfs in 6 years and our bad year in the league we still WON a WCC and had a Wembley final that we should have won.

I see people praising the club for its spirit now and togetherness, the way Peet galvanised the club etc.
But dont forget the same people wanting to criticise every minute aspect of the the club if we don't win anything, basically intimating that if wed have just done this or just done that like they suggest we would have won more or won everything, if they'd have had their way would have got rid of, created a different culture at the club that could have made things worse.
A lot of them are the same people that wouldn't have given Peet the job, would have fired Radlinksi, would have forced Leneghan to sell to get any old no mark in for short term money gain, would have got rid of respected players that played significant roles in winning trophies long after so called experts would have got rid of them, and then expect the players to feel exactly as connected to the club as they do now and still sign long term contracts etc etc.
Without rads/leneghans understanding there's no way Bevan French comes back, without the stuff they do behind the scenes who's tonsay players would have signed for the club, because they admire the pathways and opportunities the club provide outside of rugby.
As I've always said, players may not have signed contracts and left earlier than they did without the pragmatic approach the club took, take Sam Tomkins, he basically said he was going 2011, but leneghan managed to get him to sign a 4 Yr deal and even though he only did 2 of those we got ÂŁ1 million and Sam Tomkins back in 16-18

I could go on, but those that want to slag/criticise Lenegan, Rads, Wane etc will continue to do so and will take every opportunity to do so. I'll state my position clearly, NONE OF THEM have the slightest idea about how to run a club and treat players and staff etc successfully

All.of which whilst dealing with a salary capped sport, competing against what Leeds fans will tell you was the greatest Leeds teams they've ever had in their history, a very good St Helens for the last 4 years, a Warrington team that in 2010 through to about 18 should have won more than they did who spent big, and did a lot of the things these people suggest we should have done!
All of this whilst taking over a basket case of a club on 2008, dealing with Covid and all of that for the last 2/3 years
All of that whilst the scales of balance have tipped heavily in the NRL and RU favour

The bloke could easily be the best chairman, certainly owner, we've ever had, he also did it with his own money

To state that we could have dominated if we just wanted it more etc is, we'll I can't find them words
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1579
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 200519 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 21:0926th Apr 24 21:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:18 am  
Building a dynasty is incredibly difficult - Leeds did it in the past (and Saints to some degree recently) but that relies on so many factors outside the control of the club, players getting hurt and players retiring, players with off-field issues and in recent years the ever increasing lure of NRL (lets face it money talks in a short career - despite all the waffle of best comp/test themselves etc money is a huge driver which SL cannot match).

Anyway back to the topic - great news on Field signing on, we have the spine of the team looking strong and hopefully if we can get French to sign for longer ..............
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29303
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 20:4830th Apr 24 10:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:24 am  
exiled Warrior wrote:
Building a dynasty is incredibly difficult - Leeds did it in the past (and Saints to some degree recently) but that relies on so many factors outside the control of the club, players getting hurt and players retiring, players with off-field issues and in recent years the ever increasing lure of NRL (lets face it money talks in a short career - despite all the waffle of best comp/test themselves etc money is a huge driver which SL cannot match).

Anyway back to the topic - great news on Field signing on, we have the spine of the team looking strong and hopefully if we can get French to sign for longer ..............

I hate talk of a dynasty full stop. It come all from the media talking about it thankfully and I’m sure the players and coaching staff don’t buy in to it. To win one GF is hard enough, the same as the cup and the LLS and to form a dynasty you need to be taking out at least a trophy, if not 2, each and every year. I think the media are jumping on it because of Saints run this past 5 years and they think Wigan might be the next one. It takes all sorts to go on a run like that, including huge slices of luck.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9276
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years102nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:0429th Apr 24 18:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:57 am  
NSW wrote:
Redvee’s comments on Field in their rumours thread is a brilliant read

"Irrespective of stats, Welsby and French have the ability to change a big game, Field doesn’t".

"I strongly suspect the majority of Fields try involvements come from games where Wigan are putting teams to the sword".

"I don’t consider him a good player, fast and dangerous definitely. We have a few better players than him as do Wigan."

"Field is a good player dont get me wrong, but his “excitement” comes mainly from his pace in broken field rather than “rugby ability”.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:16 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
"Irrespective of stats, Welsby and French have the ability to change a big game, Field doesn’t".

"I strongly suspect the majority of Fields try involvements come from games where Wigan are putting teams to the sword".

"I don’t consider him a good player, fast and dangerous definitely. We have a few better players than him as do Wigan."

"Field is a good player dont get me wrong, but his “excitement” comes mainly from his pace in broken field rather than “rugby ability”.

He wouldn’t make their bench
MattyB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20316
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200321 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 23:4026th Apr 24 20:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013 & 2022

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:08 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
I hate talk of a dynasty full stop. It come all from the media talking about it thankfully and I’m sure the players and coaching staff don’t buy in to it. To win one GF is hard enough, the same as the cup and the LLS and to form a dynasty you need to be taking out at least a trophy, if not 2, each and every year. I think the media are jumping on it because of Saints run this past 5 years and they think Wigan might be the next one. It takes all sorts to go on a run like that, including huge slices of luck.

If we keep the team relatively healthy throughout the season then we're definitely in there with a shot. Priority has to be the WCC, to have five stars on our shirts would be sublime.
WWste 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain786No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 20195 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 21:2629th Apr 24 12:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:43 pm  
MadDogg wrote:

I’ve never really got the criticism about fast players not being good players. They are just using their natural talent. I will admit I never got the hype around Reagan Grace and thought what he did offer going forward he did have some defensive issues just because of the size of him, same with Marshy really, the CC final sticks out when Fanou just bulldozed him (obviously he was a lot younger then). Fields is fast and pointing out try’s like his one man effort against Leigh last year avoiding 3 players to go over was class. Plus his tackle on Hurrell I think it was on GF. He’s a great player but people just can’t see get past his pace. I do think French and Welsby do have more of a rugby brain and can sometimes be wizards with the ball but Fields hasn’t had to do much of that as he’s so fast. Only criticism I have is Fields passing ability but he can nail a good ball at times
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:34 pm  
MattyB wrote:
If we keep the team relatively healthy throughout the season then we're definitely in there with a shot. Priority has to be the WCC, to have five stars on our shirts would be sublime.

To go back to back with Grand Final wins would be my number one priority because we’ve never done it but winning any trophy will be tough. All the predictions I see have us finishing 1st and the bookies have us as favourites for the lot but it’s easier said than done. I’m confident the coach and this group of players won’t get carried away with themselves and if they don’t, they’ve got a good chance of having plenty of success.
Zig 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1648
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 20222 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 22:3530th Apr 24 09:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:10 pm  
NSW wrote:
Redvee’s comments on Field in their rumours thread is a brilliant read

Redvee is a better read than the Beano.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 4 more years…. : Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:03 pm  
4 more years for Miski announced also.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/ ... -new-deal/

He’s no Ritson but we’ll have to make do.
4 more years for Miski announced also.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/ ... -new-deal/

He’s no Ritson but we’ll have to make do.
PreviousNext