JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years186th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 9:42 am  
Unfortunately I can’t be there as I’m already at a family wedding that day. Yes the question was asked to ‘just move it’ but for forum rules I cannot give the brides response, however it began with F and the second word ended with f.

I do worry though for the crowd. I’d hope we’d take 20k down. Throw in 8kish for the Fev v Leigh fans. Huddersfield though I’m concerned about, realistically and with the best will in the world I can’t see them taking anymore than 6-8k. Neutrals probably another 4k. So the best we can look at is 40k in a 63k capacity stadium.

The RFL now have to be offering deals to rugby clubs, discounted tickets for X amount sold. Same for schools, colleges. Encourage coach trips packed with RL fans, or just sport fans. It’s demoralising to see Wembley year on year half full when some of my best childhood memories from the old Wembley were it packed out.

It’s not even hard to do, takes little marketing and ultimately will result in more income. Probably the exact reason why it won’t happen.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32313
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years164th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 16:125th May 24 10:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Or they get a better TV deal because more people are watching it. I remember listening to something a RU player said when a fan rolled out the old "I pay your wages" line, the majority of income in RU comes from TV and sponsorship & not fans through the gates.

I read somewhere that the peak viewing figures for the Wigan v Saints semi-final on Saturday was just over 1 million.

Oh and just to add I'm gutted to be missing the final as we are all in Pefkos, Rhodes for my wifes "Big" birthday, a trip that was postponed from last year due to covid restrictions, so we'll be tele watchers!!
RankPostsTeam
International Star3881
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:4015th May 24 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 9:59 am  
Jukesays wrote:
So how come we have any one of the numerous threads relating to the lack of Fans at a game every time there's a final, semi final, low crowd, half empty stadium etc.?
And Season Ticket/Match day ticket sales at Rugby League clubs are proportionately a larger % of it's income than RU or Football for example. So it is More important to RL/Wigan that people come.
Do you think the TV people would pay as much if we got half the crowds we do now??? Or would they say "Look, you can't even get people to come and watch so why should we pay you more?". That's a particularly Dicey game to play.

I'm not going to have too much to say about other teams attendances etc. and 95% of what I read is about Wigan and their attendances.
But I will categorically tell you that Wigan themselves would Love another 2k per week watching the club and get averages up nearer the 13/14k mark rather than 11/12k and it would definitely NOT have a detrimental effect on the TV Deal, quite the opposite.
And most fans would Love having those 2k or more fans at the stadium rather that writing a million Posts on FB/Twitter/Forums etc. berating the club and the lower attendances.

End of the day Rogues has replied to Mr Frisk knowing full well that he/she isn't actually interested/has any intention of going to a game.
But the reply also needs to reverberate with other fans who read Social media etc. who purport to have more than a passing interest in the game and comment Thousands of times, but don't go to games in General.
It's simple
The more people go the better things will get
The less people go, whilst doing nothing other than whinge about one thing or another and influence others into not going the Worse things will get.

All undoubtedly true.

Mine was a slightly flippant comment as I've got foot in both camps. I'm pretty tired of the "I go to games and that's the only model" approach. I know loads of people who'd happily pay an NRL Kayo type model to stream games. Stuff like that isn't even entertained as crowds are the be all and end all.

I know it's very niche, but my old man had a very mild stroke a few years back. Sadly, one of the side effects was a massive deterioration in his eyesight. He no longer goes to games because of it, but he'll watch them when they are on TV. He'd 100% pay X amount PCM to live stream home and away games.

Look at us as a club and our annual enforced road trip - Wembley + 2 months of away games & magic on the horizon. Do you genuinely believe that's the best thing under the current climate?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7740
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years85th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 15:128th May 24 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 9:59 am  
100% Warrior wrote:
Unfortunately I can’t be there as I’m already at a family wedding that day. Yes the question was asked to ‘just move it’ but for forum rules I cannot give the brides response, however it began with F and the second word ended with f.

I do worry though for the crowd. I’d hope we’d take 20k down. Throw in 8kish for the Fev v Leigh fans. Huddersfield though I’m concerned about, realistically and with the best will in the world I can’t see them taking anymore than 6-8k. Neutrals probably another 4k. So the best we can look at is 40k in a 63k capacity stadium.

The RFL now have to be offering deals to rugby clubs, discounted tickets for X amount sold. Same for schools, colleges. Encourage coach trips packed with RL fans, or just sport fans. It’s demoralising to see Wembley year on year half full when some of my best childhood memories from the old Wembley were it packed out.

It’s not even hard to do, takes little marketing and ultimately will result in more income. Probably the exact reason why it won’t happen.

Whilst not being as worried as yourself about the crowd, partly because it will be what it will be at this stage and like I said previously a large proportion of "Fans" (And I basically mean the ones who comment a thousand time more than they actually go) will focus on the negatives that, if anything will negatively influence and impact peoples thoughts.
But
On your point about getting Clubs/Fans to games/Finals I'll say the same thing I've said for 15/20 years

The RFU make it part of their membership criteria that clubs/Amateur clubs etc. take "X" amount of tickets as part of it's membership criteria (Or at least they used to do).

If the RFL made it part of theirs that each SL Team had to take say 100 each, Each Championship/League one club 50 each and say each amateur club had 20 say (People can do the Maths on the ticket numbers etc.) they would be able to get 20/25k sold in advance of the day plus the Neutrals/others who purchase from the RFL
Clubs could Sell/Promote/Raffle these tickets from the start of the year, every year locally etc.
Without going into Boring detail a local sporting organisation bemoaned the fact that their end of season County awards ceremonies had dwindled attendance numbers over the last 10 years and year on year I proposed a similar thing above. Make it a criteria that each Club had to receive "X" tickets and they could raffle them off (So in effect costing them nothing) and people would get a good night out etc.

Numbers doubled the first year they implemented it (Albeit I accept were taking in Hundreds rather than 10's of thousands, but the principal is the same).

Edit - Missed the bit about the enforced 6 week Road trip May/June in my reply
Whilst not ideal, and accepting that Yes it does have a negative impact it is one of those things, for now, we can't control.
And certainly the old "Build our own stadium" crew aren't contributing in any kind of viable way as commercially it just doesn't and wouldn't stack up.
Last edited by Jukesays on Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7740
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years85th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 15:128th May 24 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:04 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
All undoubtedly true.

Mine was a slightly flippant comment as I've got foot in both camps. I'm pretty tired of the "I go to games and that's the only model" approach. I know loads of people who'd happily pay an NRL Kayo type model to stream games. Stuff like that isn't even entertained as crowds are the be all and end all.

I know it's very niche, but my old man had a very mild stroke a few years back. Sadly, one of the side effects was a massive deterioration in his eyesight. He no longer goes to games because of it, but he'll watch them when they are on TV. He'd 100% pay X amount PCM to live stream home and away games.

Look at us as a club and our annual enforced road trip - Wembley + 2 months of away games & magic on the horizon. Do you genuinely believe that's the best thing under the current climate?

Someone with a better understanding of how the financials stack up on Streaming games, coupled with the legal implications of the impact on the SKY/Ch4/BBC deals

I can't imagine it would be either simple or cheap
So whilst in theory agreeing, and again in theory would accept a No reduction actual/Physical crowds coupling with an increased online/streaming crowd, I'm not sure how that balance would/could work 9Without impacting on crowds and in turn how that would affect further TV deals and other commercial impacts.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:11 am  
I suppose whether it is expensive or not is dependant on what you want to compare it to. The tickets are cheap as chips compared to an England RU Autumn International for example and are certainly cheaper than the FA Cup Final next week (and bear in mind some Liverpool fans will be making a third trip to Wembley inside three months as well) but they are expensive compared to a Lancashire T20 match for example (unless it's Yorkshire)

What I will say, is that RL fans have it FAR easier than any other sporting fan in the country.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32313
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years164th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 16:125th May 24 10:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 am  
https://twitter.com/thechallengecup/sta ... 89857?s=12

Saturday's
@Betfred
#ChallengeCup Semi-Final between
@WiganWarriorsRL
and
@Saints1890
peaked at over 1 million viewers and pulled in the highest audience share in the UK for any game of Rugby League since the 2017 World Cup Final...
https://twitter.com/thechallengecup/sta ... 89857?s=12

Saturday's
@Betfred
@WiganWarriorsRL
and
@Saints1890
peaked at over 1 million viewers and pulled in the highest audience share in the UK for any game of Rugby League since the 2017 World Cup Final...
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:20 am  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
https://twitter.com/thechallengecup/status/1523728255370489857?s=12

Saturday's
@Betfred
@WiganWarriorsRL
and
@Saints1890

As the BBC said - THE Derby
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29357
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:3116th May 24 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:23 am  
Egg Chasing wrote:
I suppose whether it is expensive or not is dependant on what you want to compare it to. The tickets are cheap as chips compared to an England RU Autumn International for example and are certainly cheaper than the FA Cup Final next week (and bear in mind some Liverpool fans will be making a third trip to Wembley inside three months as well) but they are expensive compared to a Lancashire T20 match for example (unless it's Yorkshire)

What I will say, is that RL fans have it FAR easier than any other sporting fan in the country.

There’s nothing wrong with the ticket prices, you can’t give them away at the end of the day and £30/£15 for the cheapest seats is great value. It doesn’t change the fact it’s tough times for many families though and as a bloke who goes to football, rugby league and cricket, we’re absolutely a family game and more so then those other two games. Football stadiums are filled by huge swathes of young blokes and cricket internationals are exactly the same. Lancashire games have plenty of families there but it’s very affordable. I look around me at rugby games and there are so many groups of mum/dad and kids (and maybe grandparents). It’s totally different having to fund a trip down south for a family of 4,5,6 etc than it is if you’re going on your own with your mates.

I don’t have an answer to it mind. The tickets are cheap enough IMO and I wouldn’t want the final on our doorstep, so I’m stumped.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I don’t have an answer to it mind. The tickets are cheap enough IMO and I wouldn’t want the final on our doorstep, so I’m stumped.

Personally I don't want to move the final away from Wembley because I'm a fan of all things "traditional". The one good thing about this year is I get to go to a new stadium otherwise I'd be peed off that we aren't going to Wembey.

The only place I can think of as a more northern venue that is "good enough" would be Newcastle. 52,400 seats, good area for the weekend and it's not THAT far away. Problem then is where does Magic Weekend go to?

You can't play it at OT because that takes away from the Grand Final, so as you say....what's the answer?
PreviousNext