Club Owner21210
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years58th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 22:0716th May 24 22:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: Cup final crowd : Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:30 am  
post wrote:
Spurs was a great stadium with a great atmosphere. The only down side was sticking the lobby gobblers in with us who all left leaving a big gap. The Leigh fans will contribute to gate figure but for the main event they'd gone, the Fev fans seem to have stayed though. All those kids with the coloured hoodies on all left after they'd done their dance on the pitch too.

I know the RFL are trying to get as many in as possible but they need to fill it with proper fans.

Like MattyB said about giving tickets to clubs to sell and rewarding them and having 40k fans before the finalists are decided. That is what RFU do to fill Twickenham Ive heard.

Even if we do that will the top tiers full of amatuer teams, reward clubs eg if they sell 1000 tickets have Shaun Wane and the England lads train at their club, sell 500 have Sam Tomkins etc turn up for autographs and photos/presentation night, sell 200 get a signed England shirt.

I'd run family coaches and family areas too, its no fun getting lumped on a coach with young kids and having drunk blokes singing songs swearing. Maybe that puts some people off taking their kids?

Leigh fans had something to celebrate, Fev fans didn't. :roll:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 20:134th May 24 17:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wigan home of league

Re: Cup final crowd : Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:37 am  
MattyB wrote:
Phuzzy wrote:
I thought the reverse Egg. They were only in it due to our errors and I always felt that cut those out and we'd win comfortably. We didn't cut the errors out so it wasn't comfortable but I always thought we were the better side. They were too unadventurous to win a final.

I think way too much is being made about Huddersfield being good. We were poor by our standards this season and we still beat them! How does that make for the narrative we're getting?

We were poor in parts which gave Huddersfield possession and territory. It could have been so different, we really should have scored on the first set with Cust breaking through. We score that and the nerves disappear and we are off!

In addition Field grubbered through for Marshall, almost identical move to the winning try but the kick was too strong.

Field breaking through in the 2nd half on the zero tackle, he should have stepped inside and taken the tackle as Huddersfield were all over the place.

Just after that we had a 4-2 overlap and Smith turned and came inside, try went begging.

All Huddersfield points came off our poor handling and penalties. Had we played even 10% better than we did it wouldn't have been that close.

If you read some posts you would think that there is no improvement in this Wigan team, the Giants were given territory that due in a large part to great defence they could not take advantage of. It’s good to know that 2022 has been a success, lots of games left and no reason why we can’t make a play for old Trafford.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach531
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200519 years272nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 23 17:063rd Aug 23 06:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:41 am  
Egg Chasing wrote:
You can't punish those sides IMO, they deserved to get there.

There isn't a simple answer really except for making tickets affordable to the neutral, selling to as many 'locals' as possible. Not easy to do granted, but the two finalists shouldn't be punished as Catalans effectively were.

i completely agree with you, but to the armchair viewers, seeing a half empty stadium just gives them ammunition to kick the game. one of the biggest games of the year and only x fans there etc etc. I actually cant believe that the RFL did that with Catalan. They got to the final and won it on merit, but cos they didnt bring a lot of fans, they were effectively fined

It would be interesting to see if the RFL did anything with Tottenham in regards to their fans for the cup final. Something simple like a discounted ticket for ST holders may have attracted them (equally they may have had no interest but nothing lost from trying). i think Catalan did that when they played at the Nou Camp

I like the idea that Matty has been discussing, with all amateur RL clubs given the opportunity to sell tickets in advance (why not start now), and give a little back to the amateur game in the process. Even if clubs could only sell enough for 1 coach each, thats still a hell of a lot of young kids getting to watch the game, and a couple of hundred pounds into the club coffers

One thing i have criticed the RFL for over many years is the lack of marketing for any events. My first ever game was GB v Oz at Central Park. I love the internationals, but in recent years the marketing has been non-existent, and there was one series recently i wasnt even aware it was going ahead (despite being a Wigan ST holder, and having purchased tickets from the RFL on many occasions.)

They now have the chance of the world cup this Autumn, and should now be going into overdrive to get it advertised in the local areas where the games will be played, and also on the BBC who are showing ever game
RankPostsTeam
International Star1192
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 30 201014 years301st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 18:2726th Nov 22 10:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Don't need to count days off now . Retirement is a wonderful thing
Signature
Regards , EW

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:17 am  
The RFL and whoever runs the World Cup have no idea and probably little interest on how to attract new fans .
Scotland in the World Cup is a case in point . The Scottish Borders is a RU hot bed so why not try to attract some of those .
Scotland v Fiji Kingston Park weekend
Great
Scotland v Italy Kingston Park weekend
Great
(The one game that might attract RU neutrals)
Scotland v Australia Coventry Friday night
You couldn't make it up it's mental and brainless . Even the 4 nations double header with Australia New Zealand England Scotland at Coventry a few years back could attract a decent crowd.
The Murrayfield Magic Weekend up here there was next to no local advertising. RFL fat cats have no idea whatsoever unless it comes to banking big salary cheques

EW
RankPostsTeam
International Star2800
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years137th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:3116th May 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:01 am  
Advertising for the C4 fixtures after the initial publicity seems non-existent, I've only seen adverts for the England football game which follows ours when it could've been advertised as a great double header of sport.
Also Sky's advert for the great summer of sport, zero mention of Superleague :(
MattyB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20321
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200321 years106th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:3216th May 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013 & 2022

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:25 am  
Sadfish wrote:
I think first, we need to know the financials from the last 10 years of cup finals, without that, and without the knowledge of whether any money was made, we can't even begin to give 0.01p back to clubs.

If we find that the Cup Final has lost money for the past 10 years then it needs a big think about how we go forward, if it has indeed brough a profit in some difficult times, then sure we look at ticket pricing.

Either way your idea of tickets to clubs is great and used to happen under Barla, but what price will those tickets need to be to help the overall profits and allow a £4 rebate per ticket.

We just have no idea really on that bottom line.

The RFL were happy enough to give them away for free leading up to the final. Nothing in the terms and conditions to suggest they were for the NHS, it was only due to the negative online response was the offer pulled.
RankPostsTeam
Administrator21064
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 01 199925 years185th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 12:1524th Apr 24 09:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Administrator

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:33 pm  
MattyB wrote:
The RFL were happy enough to give them away for free leading up to the final. Nothing in the terms and conditions to suggest they were for the NHS, it was only due to the negative online response was the offer pulled.

I haven't mention the ticket offer for NHS or the coupon code.

There were 100s if not 1000s given to clubs the week before for free as far as I understand.
RankPostsTeam
International Star998
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 22 201113 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:538th May 24 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Everything is Awesome

Re: Cup final crowd : Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:06 pm  
Edinburgh Warrior wrote:
The RFL and whoever runs the World Cup have no idea and probably little interest on how to attract new fans .
Scotland in the World Cup is a case in point . The Scottish Borders is a RU hot bed so why not try to attract some of those .
Scotland v Fiji Kingston Park weekend
Great
Scotland v Italy Kingston Park weekend
Great
(The one game that might attract RU neutrals)
Scotland v Australia Coventry Friday night
You couldn't make it up it's mental and brainless . Even the 4 nations double header with Australia New Zealand England Scotland at Coventry a few years back could attract a decent crowd.
The Murrayfield Magic Weekend up here there was next to no local advertising. RFL fat cats have no idea whatsoever unless it comes to banking big salary cheques

EW
The RFL (and Super League to a large degree) have had a bunch of utter amateurs running the organisation, media & advertising for way too long. But now that IMG are in charge (ie a group that ostensibly know what they're doing), things can only get better & I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt (for the moment).
All the WC stuff will have been set out before IMG came in, so we can only hope that the don't completely squander any progress again like last time.

(although I disagree about the Coventry double header crowd last time - I was there. It was cold, zero atmosphere & the stadium was barely a quarter filled.Add to that it's in one the roughest areas of the world you could imagine. I poked my head out of the retail park gates & did an abrupt 'bout turn.
Why that was chosen again is beyond me. Even St James' park would be better for anyone needing their Irn Bru fix)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 20:134th May 24 17:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wigan home of league

Re: Cup final crowd : Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:45 am  
CyberPieMan wrote:
The RFL (and Super League to a large degree) have had a bunch of utter amateurs running the organisation, media & advertising for way too long. But now that IMG are in charge (ie a group that ostensibly know what they're doing), things can only get better & I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt (for the moment).
All the WC stuff will have been set out before IMG came in, so we can only hope that the don't completely squander any progress again like last time.

(although I disagree about the Coventry double header crowd last time - I was there. It was cold, zero atmosphere & the stadium was barely a quarter filled.Add to that it's in one the roughest areas of the world you could imagine. I poked my head out of the retail park gates & did an abrupt 'bout turn.
Why that was chosen again is beyond me. Even St James' park would be better for anyone needing their Irn Bru fix)

From reading fans comments we all seem to have a consistent view of what’s wrong with the World Cup marketing and venue choices. I have filled in a number of questionnaire from the RL regarding the World Cup if others are doing the same then it appears that the RL had a plan a poor one and will carry on regardless.
Previous