Feb 14 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 pm  
jonh wrote:
He was after the Wakefield job, I’m guessing he will end up at Salford.

Paul Rowley nailed on for the Salford job apparently but if they used their heads and appointed Brian Mac they’ll be far better off
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:30 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
The length of the deal will be interesting. I can’t see it being more than a year but if it is 2 or 3 years than I’d hold those same fears. Hopefully Peet will do the business though. I’ll throw my (vast) weight behind him anyway and back him because he at least deserves us to do that. This seasons been a nightmare and boring beyond belief but the good parts have been without the ball, so there’s no reason to doubt he can do the job he’s given on that basis.

I wish the guy well.

Fully agree. I understand where some are coming from but ultimately Lam has gone and a new guy, whether he’s from the club or not, is coming in with new ideas and a new system. Proof of that is Wane after Mags with both styles and approach being vastly different.

We should all throw our full support behind Peet and his team. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong and he wouldn’t have been my choice - I’ve been quite clear in that I feel we needed a coaching clear out - but he doesn’t deserve to be starting off with fans against him.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years189th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 12:5024th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:31 pm  
Pieman wrote:
thats why I wont buy a season ticket, I can just stop going if its a car crash and I know thats how the season will be and maybe longer under IL

Don 't make excuses. You're part of the problem.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 14:5829th Mar 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:49 pm  
Cruncher wrote:
Don 't make excuses. You're part of the problem.

well I would be as I was one and a wigan tv subscriber, lotto and merchandise buyer so I was fuelling this garbage you are correct
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:10 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
The length of the deal will be interesting. I can’t see it being more than a year but if it is 2 or 3 years than I’d hold those same fears. Hopefully Peet will do the business though. I’ll throw my (vast) weight behind him anyway and back him because he at least deserves us to do that. This seasons been a nightmare and boring beyond belief but the good parts have been without the ball, so there’s no reason to doubt he can do the job he’s given on that basis.

I wish the guy well.

It's one thing having the self belief to think you can coach a team but the reality is you need experience. As we found out with Lam, who was learning on the job, the head coaches job at Wigan deserves someone witha bit of experience, it isn't London Broncos cosch where coaches go to learn their trade, Wigan is the pinacle not the training ground. If Peet harbours ambition to become Wigan coach then he needs to go and earn his stripes down at London Broncos and not give it to someone who did well at Westhoughton Lions with all due respect.

We need someone who suits our club and players, we need them to have experience coaching in the top flight at club level and a winner or someone with a better squad could become that winner.

Off the top of my head you are looking at Ian Watson, Daryl Powell, maybe Tony Smith, Steve McNamara (stop giggling at the back), Michael McGuire. Shane Flannagan and bring Kyle with him,

Ideal world money no object it would be Craig Bellamy but we know that would never happen. We need to appoint a coach to suit our team and not just a good coach who is available, we have a lot of good young players who need bringing on and we need to improve the rugby on show, for that reason Wane is out, I seriously used to think Steve McNamara was ths worst coach going but I think he would do well at Wigan now.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years88th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 pm  
post wrote:
It's one thing having the self belief to think you can coach a team but the reality is you need experience. As we found out with Lam, who was learning on the job, the head coaches job at Wigan deserves someone witha bit of experience, it isn't London Broncos cosch where coaches go to learn their trade, Wigan is the pinacle not the training ground. If Peet harbours ambition to become Wigan coach then he needs to go and earn his stripes down at London Broncos and not give it to someone who did well at Westhoughton Lions with all due respect.

We need someone who suits our club and players, we need them to have experience coaching in the top flight at club level and a winner or someone with a better squad could become that winner.

Off the top of my head you are looking at Ian Watson, Daryl Powell, maybe Tony Smith, Steve McNamara (stop giggling at the back), Michael McGuire. Shane Flannagan and bring Kyle with him,

Ideal world money no object it would be Craig Bellamy but we know that would never happen. We need to appoint a coach to suit our team and not just a good coach who is available, we have a lot of good young players who need bringing on and we need to improve the rugby on show, for that reason Wane is out, I seriously used to think Steve McNamara was ths worst coach going but I think he would do well at Wigan now.

Like Wane did? Or Madge? Or Graeme West?
RankPostsTeam
International Star3869
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years107th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 11:3224th Apr 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Over to you IFL : Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
Like Wane did? Or Madge? Or Graeme West?

Check mate.

Add in Holbrook too. Oh and that guy called Bellamy (ironically that he wants) who went from an assistant to head coach too.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:56 am  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
It’s not that simple unless you know someone with odd £20m or so to buy the club and won’t expect the money back in his or her lifetime. That’s why I’m so frustrated and worried what the future holds.

IL in the first 8 years or so of his tenure for me was top class in terms of his management and delivery.
Since then it’s been a torturous decline and we haven’t hit the bottom yet.

Uncle Maurice had great foresight but little or no money. His second stint he almost finished the club off.
I’d love someone with the “front” of Maurice with millions in the bank but that would fantasyland or an impossibility.

Rathbone had little say in the running of the club and Robinson made some poor decisions during his chairmanship so it wasn’t all roses even when we were successful. We lucky to have secured 3 great coaches in 10 years of almost unbroken success enabled by professional dedicated rugby players.

If you had read my posting proper, I was not on about what happen after the gang of four took over, but the poor state of the club during the seventies, where finance, signings and success on the field was concerned which led to the club altering the way it was run ie. a board of ten directors replaced by just four which is still the case today.

A current situation which today, is now similar to that of what happen at the end of the seventies both in finance and the playing side of the club where the quality of the squad and coaching staff is concerned.

As far as I am concerned, the time has come for new ownership with more and better investment, and a complete overhaul of the club, especially with the age of of the present owner who now appears to be less involved in the running of the club than what he use to be a while ago.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am  
100% Warrior wrote:
I’d have him at Wigan in a heartbeat

The same Brian McDermott who was Coach of the Rhinos at the time they had a great squad, led by Kevin Sinfield, Jamie Jones Bucannan, Danny MaGuire, Kyle Leulai.

When most of that squad broke up, McDermott was exposed as not being as good a Coach as some supporters seemed to think he was!

Apart from being at Toronto Wolfpack when mainly in the Championship, no other Super League club show any interest in him as being their Coach.

And neither should Wigan!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Over to you IFL : Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:41 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
The same Brian McDermott who was Coach of the Rhinos at the time they had a great squad, led by Kevin Sinfield, Jamie Jones Bucannan, Danny MaGuire, Kyle Leulai.

When most of that squad broke up, McDermott was exposed as not being as good a Coach as some supporters seemed to think he was!

Apart from being at Toronto Wolfpack when mainly in the Championship, no other Super League club show any interest in him as being their Coach.

And neither should Wigan!

Brian Mac is a proven coach. If you’re suggesting that Leeds team didn’t need coaching you’re delusional. A Leeds team that finished 5th - twice - and won the competition? A Leeds team that, let’s be absolutely realistic here, was gearing up for a generational change. Leeds should have stuck with Brian Mac. I guarantee they’d be far better off than they are.

Plenty of SL teams have shown interest. Salford, Wakey, Cas, Wire, Hull but to name a few but that won’t fit your exceptionally narrow narrative would it?
PreviousNext