JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 18:2627th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 am  
This season has been embarrassing at points but I don’t buy the squad is worse next year than this as things stand. We’re realistically losing Hastings and that’s it. Gildart has missed more than he’s played and has been on one leg when he has played, Bullock, Clubb and Clark don’t play, Tommy is done and Manfredi hasn’t played all year. I’m not overjoyed with the signings but they can only add to what we have. We’ll get French and Field in to that group from last night as well, so basically the side could be that from last night minus Hastings and an injured Gildart but plus French, Field, a new halfback, Ellis and Mago (and maybe room for one or both of Thornley and Miski).

I’d give Peat a chance as well. If his remit is defence then he’s done a fabulous job at drilling them. If he can turn his hand to all facets of the game and he has the right support, then who knows how he’ll do. I don’t think we can underestimate just how dreadful Adrian Lam has been (this season in particular) and I’m prepared to give Peat a chance to start the rebuild.

As the tithe suggests though, thank the lord Lams time is at an end.
RankPostsTeam
International Star664
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 201311 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 06:5927th Mar 24 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:04 am  
Those highly paid players who had even better salaries to go to next season have gone through the motions this year, desperate to avoid injury. Good riddance to them.

Here's to a 2022 with a squad of players who want to be here and are worthy of being here.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:2526th Mar 24 19:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:31 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I’d give Peat a chance as well. If his remit is defence then he’s done a fabulous job at drilling them. If he can turn his hand to all facets of the game and he has the right support, then who knows how he’ll do. I don’t think we can underestimate just how dreadful Adrian Lam has been (this season in particular) and I’m prepared to give Peat a chance to start the rebuild.

Completely agree. If anyone deserves a chance it's Peet. Like you said, his remit is defence and that's probably the one area that's been strong this season. After that he's served an apprenticeship under Wane too.

There's two things I don't buy into as well...

1 - Peet is a continuation of the current regime. Wane changed things when he took over from Madge, Why is everyone so sure that Peet won't have new ideas? He'll need a new attack coach but, as Peet has proven, a coach can make a big difference when it comes to stuff like that.

2 - We need to go to Aus. I always shake my head at the magic "NRL No.2 bullet" that fans call for. For every Madge, there's a Price. Peet has been a number 2 under Wane FFS, I'd take that schooling over some of the coaches in the NRL. Outside of that - there's no one available. Look at the candidates that got touted for Wests. You had an assistant from Penrith (who turned them down), then it was Flanagan (great coach) + Woolf & Wane. Hardly the greatest shortlist.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5160
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:2726th Mar 24 18:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:36 am  
afootingmiracle21-12 wrote:
That hit me last night too! So transparent

It's been a constant this season. The problem we have is that none of that team last night know how to pass or when to pass. We had:

Singleton, Powell, Partington, Farrell, Bateman and Smithies in the pack. Not a passer amongst them unless you count Powell who is slow as treacle.

One half in Smith who is technically poor with too many passes missing their mark and whose first instinct is to kick anyway and another half who either passes well before the line or gets caught in possession. Neither passes at the line.

One centre who is a second row and not renowned as a passer of the ball and one who has forgotten how to pass.

A fullback who has never been a passer of the ball throughout his entire career.

Is it any wonder we're not breaking teams down? Since SOL retired we have no one with a defence splitting pass in them. We're therefore reliant on individual brilliance, which without French has been in short supply or scoring from kicks. Unfortunately our kicking game has, for most games this season, been woeful too.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:14 am  
Lammy summed up his delusions last night post game when he answered Jenna Brooks question about our poor attack by saying it’s a game of inches, as though he really does believe we were unlucky. She asked him what’s next for him and he said he’ll make that decision in the next two weeks. I can only imagine it’s a choice between postman or window cleaner because rugby coach can’t be on the table.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7524
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years188th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 17:5018th Feb 24 17:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:26 am  
DaveO wrote:
Exactly, The squad we have for next season is (based on what was said at the fans forum) currently going to cost £1,877,000.

That’s based on us having £73k left after recruiting a half back and the fact a half back can cost us a maximum of £150k on the cap.

That is after Hasting’s, Clubb and Gildart have gone and with recruits being the two Aussie forwards, Thornley and Miski with the latter two being championship standard players and completely uninspiring.

How on earth is that squad going to be paid £1.877m?

The answer at least in part was also given at the fans forum. The club has promoted several young players to the first team squad and decided to give them what it terms are first team contracts. I’d bet my house this is Rads doing modelling it on Leeds pay structure and the result is too many young players taking up too much of the salary cap to allow the club to recruit more experienced players to assist a fewer number of young players.

Yes this means you have to make hard decisions about letting several players go if half a dozen young players are in the frame for a first team contract but if you don’t you have no money for the experienced players you need. It’s also bound to happen sometimes you will let the wrong players go but that’s just the way it would go.

Agreed.

The fact we are losing Hastings, Clubb, Gildart, Bullock, Manfredi, Bourouh + possibly Leuluai and can only afford 2 fringe NRL forwards and 2 championship players is unbelievable.

That's also on top of last year losing G.Burgess, J.Burgess, O'Loughlin, Flower, Greenwood, Escare, Navarette, Sammutt and Wells. And we signed.... Bateman and Field.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2883
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:3128th Mar 24 00:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:41 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
This season has been embarrassing at points but I don’t buy the squad is worse next year than this as things stand. We’re realistically losing Hastings and that’s it. Gildart has missed more than he’s played and has been on one leg when he has played, Bullock, Clubb and Clark don’t play, Tommy is done and Manfredi hasn’t played all year. I’m not overjoyed with the signings but they can only add to what we have. We’ll get French and Field in to that group from last night as well, so basically the side could be that from last night minus Hastings and an injured Gildart but plus French, Field, a new halfback, Ellis and Mago (and maybe room for one or both of Thornley and Miski).

As the tithe suggests though, thank the lord Lams time is at an end.

The 4 new Aussies (I'm including Field here) have less than 100 first team appearances coming into a young and unbalanced squad.
History tells us that the majority imports don't really work out that well so let's be generous and say 2 are a success.
If Miski can catch a ball he will be a success with the games current measurement. If he can take the ball in for each set as well he will be a great success. If scores more than 10 tries we will look to name a stand after him.
If Ellis can keep hold of the ball, play 40 minutes and be tough he will be deemed a success.

Our expectations and aspirations are truly laughable.
On paper and I except that its on paper there is no improvement and not a dot of stardust to assist in putting bums on seats.

Thornley was at Leyth for a reason. Nobody else wanted him. Wane got shut of him once so i can only assume that KR signed before the penny dropped that Lam was useless and he needed to sort things out on the coaching side.

I think that there other changes potentially in the pipeline.
Will Field stay? Has he gone? A very hard situation for the lad and the injury just about topped things off. We havent got a clue if he is any good. Jeeze we dont even know his best position
If he goes it wouldn't surprise me to see TL doing another year. He's been a great clubman but woefully past his sell by date.

It looks like Hardaker will go and presumably swapped for Miller. Leeds did a job last on Hardaker and any team can replicate so if he goes I wouldn't lose much sleep. Don't know what to say about Miller other than uninspiring.

I think Clark has another year on his contract? Who in their right mind will match his current terms?

I think we will see other changes with the young guys. Wouldn't surprise if Shorrocks goes - not sure if im that bothered but I think somewhere within the lad there could be a decent rugby player.

Not wanting Peet on my is totally illogical on my part and I except that. I just don't want a repeat of 2016 and 2017 were I gave away my season ticket mid season because of the appalling "rugby". With Wane in tandem I can see the siege mentality where fans are almost scorned and it's all about the lads.

Sorry for the negative and scornful comments but the club are in the shoite (excluding monetary issues) due to inadequate and woeful senior management decisions where even a blindman could see things deteriorating from a mile off.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:42 am  
Wigg'n wrote:
Agreed.

The fact we are losing Hastings, Clubb, Gildart, Bullock, Manfredi, Bourouh + possibly Leuluai and can only afford 2 fringe NRL forwards and 2 championship players is unbelievable.

That's also on top of last year losing G.Burgess, J.Burgess, O'Loughlin, Flower, Greenwood, Escare, Navarette, Sammutt and Wells. And we signed.... Bateman and Field.

The ‘going rate’ for the young players nowadays must be unbelievable. It all just doesn’t make sense. I can’t help be sceptical about the 73k comment tbh. It would actually make me feel better if they are pulling the wool because if not, well jeez, who has been negotiating these deals?!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2883
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:3128th Mar 24 00:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Lammy summed up his delusions last night post game when he answered Jenna Brooks question about our poor attack by saying it’s a game of inches, as though he really does believe we were unlucky. She asked him what’s next for him and he said he’ll make that decision in the next two weeks. I can only imagine it’s a choice between postman or window cleaner because rugby coach can’t be on the table.

Give him his due though he did resolve our goalkicking issue. Summat to put on his CV
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:47 am  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
The 4 new Aussies (I'm including Field here) have less than 100 first team appearances coming into a young and unbalanced squad.
History tells us that the majority imports don't really work out that well so let's be generous and say 2 are a success.
If Miski can catch a ball he will be a success with the games current measurement. If he can take the ball in for each set as well he will be a great success. If scores more than 10 tries we will look to name a stand after him.
If Ellis can keep hold of the ball, play 40 minutes and be tough he will be deemed a success.

Our expectations and aspirations are truly laughable.
On paper and I except that its on paper there is no improvement and not a dot of stardust to assist in putting bums on seats.

Thornley was at Leyth for a reason. Nobody else wanted him. Wane got shut of him once so i can only assume that KR signed before the penny dropped that Lam was useless and he needed to sort things out on the coaching side.

I think that there other changes potentially in the pipeline.
Will Field stay? Has he gone? A very hard situation for the lad and the injury just about topped things off. We havent got a clue if he is any good. Jeeze we dont even know his best position
If he goes it wouldn't surprise me to see TL doing another year. He's been a great clubman but woefully past his sell by date.

It looks like Hardaker will go and presumably swapped for Miller. Leeds did a job last on Hardaker and any team can replicate so if he goes I wouldn't lose much sleep. Don't know what to say about Miller other than uninspiring.

I think Clark has another year on his contract? Who in their right mind will match his current terms?

I think we will see other changes with the young guys. Wouldn't surprise if Shorrocks goes - not sure if im that bothered but I think somewhere within the lad there could be a decent rugby player.

Not wanting Peet on my is totally illogical on my part and I except that. I just don't want a repeat of 2016 and 2017 were I gave away my season ticket mid season because of the appalling "rugby". With Wane in tandem I can see the siege mentality where fans are almost scorned and it's all about the lads.

Sorry for the negative and scornful comments but the club are in the shoite (excluding monetary issues) due to inadequate and woeful senior management decisions where even a blindman could see things deteriorating from a mile off.

I can’t sit here and say I’m buzzing with the signings myself mate but I just can’t see that we’re weaker. Will it be enough? Probably not. Do we want bigger/better signings? Absolutely. Are we stronger? We have to be IMO based simply on the fact that other than Hastings, the other exits won’t be felt in the slightest based on this season. In fact if most had left prior to this season, I doubt we’d have noticed the difference.

Having extra bodies shouldn’t be a yard stick for judging the quality of your squad/team but with French and Field thrown in the mix, there’s no way we can be weaker. The place needs a shake up and I hope Peat (with help from Wane) can bring that. I’m prepared to give him a shot, as I did with Lam. I’d have pulled the trigger on Lam after 6 months and I may well be sat here in July next year saying it’s time for Peat to go but he deserves people’s support from day one. Very much like the signings, he can’t be any worse than the guy he’s replacing.
PreviousNext