Jul 15 200816 years187th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 17:1912th Apr 24 21:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:10 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
He’s a good player Knowles but I don’t think his level is unachievable for Smithies or somebody like Shorrocks (I’m talking 2 or 3 years down the track here) I wouldn’t have him as the best back rower in superleague tbh. He’s the best out and out 13 (although he’s probably the only one of them in the league nowadays) but if we’re putting second rowers in there as well, then I think he’s in a group of very good ones along with guys like Faz, Bateman, Linnett and Currie. He does bring a lot of qualities that you can’t measure in stats to be fair to him. I’d have him a bit like Micky Mac was for us in that regard but to have him as a clear best he’d need to be cutting teams open with his running and passing game and he doesn’t do that. The one thing I do like about him is he seems to thrive in big games and again that’s something you can’t measure. Maybe I’m doing him a disservice but I don’t see his level as anything like a unattainable for many young backrowers across the league, as long as they’re prepared to work as hard as he does.

I don’t think we could play Bateman and Farrell in the same team versus either the Aussies or the Kiwis.
Currie doesn’t seem to be the same player since his injury and I’m not sure if Linnett would be eligible?

I think that we are in general agreement that with hard work and general improvement in skills for the right guy a place is there to be taken.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29263
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 21:4818th Apr 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:21 pm  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I don’t think we could play Bateman and Farrell in the same team versus either the Aussies or the Kiwis.
Currie doesn’t seem to be the same player since his injury and I’m not sure if Linnett would be eligible?

I think that we are in general agreement that with hard work and general improvement in skills for the right guy a place is there to be taken.

I just meant in general, not for England. Those guys along with Knowles are the best 5 backrowers in the comp IMO. The position and way Knowles plays is very different to be fair. I saw some stats from his recent games earlier though and Knowles had one where he carried the ball 6 times for 18 metres and a couple around 40/50 metres. People are crucifying a guy like Bateman here yet he’s been well in excess of 100 metres most weeks. A kid like Smithies hasn’t had numbers like that for a while either. It’s not to bag Knowles, I can see that he brings an awful lot of attributes that don’t carry statistics. That’s why I said he’s like Saints version of Micky Mac. He was the ultimate player for not judging on stats but Saints fans would try and compare his lack of dummy half runs/metres. He set our defensive tempo, lead the line and was our enforcer. You couldn’t measure most of the things he brought to the side and I see Knowles a bit like that.

Our young lads will be top class in time I’m sure, just like Knowles is. We need to rebuild the side and everyone’s confidence and give them the required support.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Good, it's absolutely awful.

I watched the Wigan ladies game a couple of weeks ago on Sky (the same night we played Catalan) and it was a shocking standard. Absolutely shocking that I pay money to sky and they don't televise all SL games, or all NRL games but play this tripe.

I'm very much a one step at a time kinda guy. The club can't even broadcast academy games, let's not add another headache with Women's rugby.

When the Women's Super League started three or four seasons ago, Wigan along with Castleford and Leeds were the best three teams.

However, the other clubs together with St Helens and York have recruited better and bigger players while the Wigan squad has remained more or less the same smaller squad which has resulted in the Wigan team slumping from being one of the top three clubs to now only fifth in a league of only eight clubs

Like the men's squad, they badly need to recruit more better and bigger players!

To say that the standard is shocking is not fair when it is a new concept and like the wheelchair rugby, should be encouraged and made better like it is in Women's Cricket, Football and Rugby Union.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11376
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200222 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 12:173rd Apr 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
He’s a good player Knowles but I don’t think his level is unachievable for Smithies or somebody like Shorrocks (I’m talking 2 or 3 years down the track here) I wouldn’t have him as the best back rower in superleague tbh. He’s the best out and out 13 (although he’s probably the only one of them in the league nowadays) but if we’re putting second rowers in there as well, then I think he’s in a group of very good ones along with guys like Faz, Bateman, Linnett and Currie. He does bring a lot of qualities that you can’t measure in stats to be fair to him. I’d have him a bit like Micky Mac was for us in that regard but to have him as a clear best he’d need to be cutting teams open with his running and passing game and he doesn’t do that. The one thing I do like about him is he seems to thrive in big games and again that’s something you can’t measure. Maybe I’m doing him a disservice but I don’t see his level as anything like a unattainable for many young backrowers across the league, as long as they’re prepared to work as hard as he does.

I think that's spot on. Knowles biggest positive attributes are his fitness and first class attitude / concentration levels which bring with them a very high level of consistency.

I must say i don't really think too much of Smithies. When he first came in I was lambasted on here for saying I'm not sure I see what he does other than tackle (and of course tackling is important). But he seemed indisciplined with it.

hopefully he kicks on because better judges than me rate him highly - he's still very young and has some more bulk to come which should help him with the ball. And playing in a team with some props would certainly help . . . . .
Last edited by FearTheVee on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:24 am  
First team is rubbish
Academy is rubbish
Womens team is rubbish

I might go and support Warrington
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:26 am  
FearTheVee wrote:
I think that's spot on. Knowles biggest positive attributes are his fitness and first class attitude / concentration levels which bring with them a very high level of consistency.

He's also playing in a good side where 6 carries a game isn't highlighted as much as it is when your pack is getting smashed week after week.

Bateman, Farrell, Powell, Hastings, Gildart etc etc are all results of the same thing. Eacj and every player under Lam has seen their performance levels go backwards.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7524
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years207th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 17:5018th Feb 24 17:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 am  
FearTheVee wrote:

Very high level of consistency?

This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 200618 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Jan 24 21:3821st Jan 24 21:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 am  
Matty Nicholson looks a real prospect. A big athletic back rower who has hands and a great support game (the amount of tries he finishes off with support play is impressive).
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29263
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 21:4818th Apr 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:30 am  
FearTheVee wrote:

I must say i don't really think too much of Smithies. When he first came in I was lambasted on here for saying I'm not sure I see what he does other than tackle (and of course tackling is important). But he seemed indisciplined with it.

hopefully he kicks on because better judges than me rate him highly - he's still very young and has some more bulk to come which should help him with the ball. And playing in a team with some props would certainly help . . . . .

I think he has kicked on this season but it’s gone under the radar a little due to how poor we’ve been. His discipline is better, he’s making more ground and he’s still defensively exceptional. He’s missed a good few games so that hasn’t helped but he’s going in the right direction for me. He’ll be better for the struggles of this season down the line.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4649
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 23:2415th Apr 24 15:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan V Bradford U19 academy game : Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:04 pm  
I've only just watched the highlights of the Bradford game, and yes, it does renew your faith a bit, doesn't it? I thought Wigan scored some belting tries, high-speed short passing keeping the ball alive, every thing, in fact, that sadly we haven't seen in attack from the first team. It certainly looked thoroughly enjoyable and made me resolve to get to a few games next year.
PreviousNext