FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers - Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Latest
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Michael Maguire
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player125No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 24 20:0717th Jan 24 20:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am  
Rumored to be on his way out at Wests after a difficult season. Surely he's got to be worth a phone call for next season....head and shoulders above the rest being touted and potentially available.
Also just what Wigan need, to turn us around and return the win at all costs / hard work culture he brought which has been progressively lost over the last decade!

I know the rumour is peet, but appointing someone with no prior professional experience beyond wigan, a continuation of the coaching team which has so spectacularly failed, and a guy who has never played top level rugby before would be a huge mistake when you have people like Madge possibly available.

IMO peet or Maguire will show us where the clubs intentions truly lie. A stark choice between cutting cloth and penny pinching for the cheapest deal which will lead to mid table mediocrity and see us fail to compete, or a more expensive option which may just return us to the top and get bums on seats. Given the difference is probably an average of around 4-5k fans per game, the cheap option would be very short sighted for me.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7718
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years78th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:0027th Mar 24 22:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am  
afootingmiracle21-12 wrote:
Rumored to be on his way out at Wests after a difficult season. Surely he's got to be worth a phone call for next season....head and shoulders above the rest being touted and potentially available.
Also just what Wigan need, to turn us around and return the win at all costs / hard work culture he brought which has been progressively lost over the last decade!

I know the rumour is peet, but appointing someone with no prior professional experience beyond wigan, a continuation of the coaching team which has so spectacularly failed, and a guy who has never played top level rugby before would be a huge mistake when you have people like Madge possibly available.

IMO peet or Maguire will show us where the clubs intentions truly lie. A stark choice between cutting cloth and penny pinching for the cheapest deal which will lead to mid table mediocrity and see us fail to compete, or a more expensive option which may just return us to the top and get bums on seats. Given the difference is probably an average of around 4-5k fans per game, the cheap option would be very short sighted for me.

Lost over the last decade !
Won't go into too much detail but if you think hard work was less under Wane than Maguire your sadly mistaken, last 3 years maybe.

I'm not against Maguire, what I will say is that there would be other issues he would bring. Short term (2 maybe 3 years) it would work which is fine given the need to get back some of that culture.

You've obviously made your mind up about Peet.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player125No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 24 20:0717th Jan 24 20:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:50 am  
Jukesays wrote:

Lost over the last decade !
Won't go into too much detail but if you think hard work was less under Wane than Maguire your sadly mistaken, last 3 years maybe.

I'm not against Maguire, what I will say is that there would be other issues he would bring. Short term (2 maybe 3 years) it would work which is fine given the need to get back some of that culture.

You've obviously made your mind up about Peet.

Personally i think a lot of what Madge instilled was lost in the wane era. Yes, wane could motivate them to perform and the end of the season, but we had some diabolical seasons under his reign and some awful results where there was no passion, commitment or creativity in the team for large parts of the ordinary season. The late season runs and GF wins masked a lot of what had already slipped under wane IMO, so much so, that if Lam now got us on a run to the Grand final there wouldn't be much difference in a number of wane seasons. Only he wont.

As for peet, i have made up my mind because a) he's part of the coaching system and team that has overseen this deterioration and IMO won't bring anything new or creative, & b) he lacks the required depth of experience to coach at top level....no other professional experience outside of wigan, never coached another pro or semi-pro club, and playing career extends to being a decent amateur player at St Pats. IMO he will be well out of his depth as a SL coach and be found out very quickly. We're only going one way if Peet gets the top job.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200618 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 19:3331st Jan 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:13 pm  
Personally i think a lot of what Madge instilled was lost in the wane era. Yes, wane could motivate them to perform and the end of the season, but we had some diabolical seasons under his reign and some awful results where there was no passion, commitment or creativity in the team for large parts of the ordinary season. The late season runs and GF wins masked a lot of what had already slipped under wane IMO, so much so, that if Lam now got us on a run to the Grand final there wouldn't be much difference in a number of wane seasons. Only he wont.

As for peet, i have made up my mind because a) he's part of the coaching system and team that has overseen this deterioration and IMO won't bring anything new or creative, & b) he lacks the required depth of experience to coach at top level....no other professional experience outside of wigan, never coached another pro or semi-pro club, and playing career extends to being a decent amateur player at St Pats. IMO he will be well out of his depth as a SL coach and be found out very quickly. We're only going one way if Peet gets the top job.

There are no prizes for coming second in the Grand Final. So far Lam has a LLS to account for his 2 full seasons so far.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years106th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:2526th Mar 24 19:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:14 pm  
Jukesays wrote:

Won't go into too much detail but if you think hard work was less under Wane than Maguire your sadly mistaken, last 3 years maybe..

I have to admit, this shocks me. Not because I don't think Wane wasn't a task master etc, but hard work is what Madge is known for.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8764No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 15 200321 years242nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:1622nd Mar 24 12:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 pm  
Madge to remain as head coach at West’s following review.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 20204 years60th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:1228th Mar 24 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 pm  
What's he done since 2013 anyway? It feels like he's not really evolved as a coach since winning it with Souths
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 am  
Maguire may not have been as successful in Australia as he was in our country because the NRL consists of more better teams in a stronger competition than what we have in the Super League.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that if he was to return to our game, he would still be as successful as he was when he was last at Wigan.

How many times have you seen a successful Coach in our game from down under not have the same success on an appointment as a Coach when he has returned down under.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years179th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:4123rd Mar 24 14:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Michael Maguire : Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:11 am  
Jack Burton wrote:
What's he done since 2013 anyway? It feels like he's not really evolved as a coach since winning it with Souths

I feel this is just putting a positive spin on the fact that he isn't coming.

Madge was revolutionary at Wigan on a par with Graham Lowe, the main difference being that he didn't have Lowe's galaxy of superstars to pick a team from.

Having watched the NRL more than ever before these last two years, as many of us have I suspect, the standard is so superior to SL that we surely can't look past their coaching staff if we want to push ourselves back to the top.

And yes, before anyone says it, I know that Lammy coached in the NRL, David Furner did etc, so it's not a guarantee of success. But a judicious acquisition could still pay huge dividends. Personally, I'd have Madge back like a shot. I'd also be sniffing around Bello, who rumour has it is close to retirement and looking for a new challenge.

Doubtless either signing would cost the earth, but I'm in the fortunate position of not having to pay, so I can dream these dreams.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1356
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 13 200321 years279th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:2618th Mar 24 08:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Category 3

Re: Michael Maguire : Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:33 am  
MIchael Maguire looks like somebody who can make a step change to a club in terms of performance, attitude etc. They make an impact, but that style of management is hard to sustain and work under for any length of time. Having said that, I think he would be a good fit here for a couple of years.
Next