FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lam Gone (End of season)
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4715No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years235th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:4923rd Dec 23 10:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:10 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Granted, Lam may have not been the perfect choice, but some of the nastiness aimed at him, especially as a former good player has been disgraceful and uncalled for by the an element of supporters.

From I understand, even the administration staff at the club have to put up with it, both by email, telephone etc.

And have you and most of your sensibly minded and reasonable folk ever considered that if Lam was sacked during the season, he may have had a clause in his contract for severance pay if not in breach of contract which together with another contract for a replacement Coach would have added more financial woe to the club in the present uncertain times.

It has always been said that Wigan have the best and most fair minded supporters in the game but from what I have seen and heard in recent weeks, that is no longer the case in the present world of social media.

Only glad that some who come on here do not run my financial affairs!

p.s. And not winning a trophy will not be the first time as that has happed on more than one occasion in the past!

no its not...
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:43 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Granted, Lam may have not been the perfect choice, but some of the nastiness aimed at him, especially as a former good player has been disgraceful and uncalled for by the an element of supporters.

From I understand, even the administration staff at the club have to put up with it, both by email, telephone etc.

And have you and most of your sensibly minded and reasonable folk ever considered that if Lam was sacked during the season, he may have had a clause in his contract for severance pay if not in breach of contract which together with another contract for a replacement Coach would have added more financial woe to the club in the present uncertain times.

It has always been said that Wigan have the best and most fair minded supporters in the game but from what I have seen and heard in recent weeks, that is no longer the case in the present world of social media.

Only glad that some who come on here do not run my financial affairs!

p.s. And not winning a trophy will not be the first time as that has happed on more than one occasion in the past!

You are one of the most bizarre trolls I’ve ever come across.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years182nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:4123rd Mar 24 14:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:55 am  
100% Warrior wrote:
I have advocated an NRL coach/assistant but that’s a great point which I had thought of but just accepted. It doesn’t really help us as in reality what we need is stability for 4-5yrs at least, that’s one of the benefits in Peet I suppose.

The concern is though is if Peet doesn’t work out, and clearly isn’t, will IFL/Rads pill the trigger mid season? I’m drained from this season, which has at times been unbearable.

He isn’t and probably wouldn’t be a popular choice but personally I’d back Brian McDermott. He is after all SL’s most successful coach and would be here for the long haul. He’s experienced and would certainly give us that refreshment we need whilst keeping some of our back room staff.

If anyone knows BM's strengths and weaknesses, it's IL ... they worked together when London were Harlequins. Granted he had great success at Leeds, but the fact his name is never seriously mentioned puts him in the Ian Millward category for me: an average coach who got famous because he was fortunate enough to be put in charge of a team so good that it didn't need coaching.

Also, we should remember that Lammy was an NRL assistant. So, that's not a guaranteed formula for success either.

For me the appointment of a new coach is a tricky business. It supposedly took us the best part of a year to source and then persuade Madge to come and join us. Surely, because of the complications that will ensue, you can only sack a coach mid-season if his relationship with the players or managements has completely malfunctioned? And we ought to remember that last year we were Grand Finalists. It would have been very difficult to sack Lam then.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am  
Cruncher wrote:
If anyone knows BM's strengths and weaknesses, it's IL ... they worked together when London were Harlequins. Granted he had great success at Leeds, but the fact his name is never seriously mentioned puts him in the Ian Millward category for me: an average coach who got famous because he was fortunate enough to be put in charge of a team so good that it didn't need coaching.

Also, we should remember that Lammy was an NRL assistant. So, that's not a guaranteed formula for success either.

For me the appointment of a new coach is a tricky business. It supposedly took us the best part of a year to source and then persuade Madge to come and join us. Surely, because of the complications that will ensue, you can only sack a coach mid-season if his relationship with the players or managements has completely malfunctioned? And we ought to remember that last year we were Grand Finalists. It would have been very difficult to sack Lam then.

You raise some good and valid points though I’m not sure I’d put BM in with Agent Millward.

As you say appointing a new coach is always a tricky business but I still don’t for one moment believe it wasn’t possible mid season, even with the complications it can bring. His relationship with the players was there for all to see in most games this season, they were barely playing for him (or each other) and it told from the end of the score lines we found ourselves on. Throw in the actual standard of our performances and I can’t believe he wasn’t sacked in all honesty.

He certainly couldn’t have been sacked at the end of 2020 or even anywhere up to mid 2021 season purely because of the Grand Final appearance but that good will and merit dissolved a long time ago.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:
You are one of the most bizarre trolls I’ve ever come across.

At least I attend games and even a forum without making any excuse about working or childcare.

And I also don't consult my family about what others have to say like some little kid!

Even know a bit about employment contracts which I suspect you and a few others on here do not!
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4715No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years235th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 pm  
Cruncher wrote:

bingo
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4715No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years235th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 pm  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
At least I attend games and even a forum without making any excuse about working or childcare.

And I also don't consult my family about what others have to say like some little kid!

Even know a bit about employment contracts which I suspect you and a few others on here do not!

thats not an excuse, its a reason
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:11 pm  
[rubs hands]

Ruddy Duck wrote:

Sooo which is it, you attend games or you don’t? You see I remember you posting merely weeks ago stating you don’t go anymore and that you refuse to go again (then went and said you were in the East Stand for the Saints game. I did call you out on it at the time but as usual you ignored it). A little before that you also stated you don’t watch RL.

You either go or you don’t. Which is it? Either way you’re a liar and not a very good one.

Me either. I’d like to see where I ever insinuated any different? Way to confirm your single lifestyle though, least you can put up as many posters of the Fab 4 you wish. Rock on brother

Presuming I don’t there eh? I have checked my contract of employment though and unfortunately it has no clause saying I can just skip work to watch Wigan Warriors. If you know about employment law like you say you do you’d know just not turning up for work can amount to gross misconduct and therefore being sacked. But then again, you are the “expert” [chuckles]
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:25 am  
100% Warrior wrote:
[rubs hands]

Sooo which is it, you attend games or you don’t? You see I remember you posting merely weeks ago stating you don’t go anymore and that you refuse to go again (then went and said you were in the East Stand for the Saints game. I did call you out on it at the time but as usual you ignored it). A little before that you also stated you don’t watch RL.

You either go or you don’t. Which is it? Either way you’re a liar and not a very good one.

Me either. I’d like to see where I ever insinuated any different? Way to confirm your single lifestyle though, least you can put up as many posters of the Fab 4 you wish. Rock on brother

Presuming I don’t there eh? I have checked my contract of employment though and unfortunately it has no clause saying I can just skip work to watch Wigan Warriors. If you know about employment law like you say you do you’d know just not turning up for work can amount to gross misconduct and therefore being sacked. But then again, you are the “expert” [chuckles]

I no longer go to games on a regular basis because of my age and health and for those reasons, I stopped buying a season ticket at the end of the 2019 season. When you have attended and spent as much money as myself in watching the many first team, 'A' team, Academy, Youth, Internationals, Amateur and the many non Wigan games etc at Central Park and the more recent games at the DW Stadium, Edge Hall Road, Robin Park Arena and also travelled all over the country and beyond our shores to support the club, then you can have a pop at me.

I am also aware that your contract of employment doe not stipulate that you have to attend games but it also does not prevent you from booking a days holiday off work, changing a shift or whatever to watch a game which has been the case on many occasions by myself in the fifty years or so that I have supported the club. And I have never just stopped off work and telephoned in sick as you have implied as management would more than likely know that I was a Wigan supporter and know where I was if there was a Wigan game on the same day

I will be long gone before you make a 100% Warrior!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 28 200320 years264th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 11:4623rd Feb 24 23:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: Lam Gone (End of season) : Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:27 am  
Now now children it's a forum for Rugby not arguing. Now make friends :wink:
PreviousNext