JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200519 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:3426th Apr 24 20:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:05 pm  
We tried our best and lost to a team with a 40% completion rate in the first half. That says everything.

We need a like for like with Hastings, we simply cannot afford to run with Smith and Field next year.
Last edited by ChrisA on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14321
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 13:4511th Apr 24 10:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Right...

So when you say "should have retired years ago", should that have been after he won a world cup, or after one of his numerous SL titles? Last season, he was close to the best he's played. Given the career he's had, I'd say it's a decent benchmark.

Yes - a halfback who was involved in 8 tries in total last season (scored one, set up seven) had one of his best seasons ever according to you. Great.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1192
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 30 201014 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 18:2726th Nov 22 10:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Don't need to count days off now . Retirement is a wonderful thing
Signature
Regards , EW

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:12 pm  
Lam will probably be pulled up for calling out Hicks for the Mamo try . How a refferee can leave a player on the ground unconscious in this day and age and allow the game to go the length of the field is beyond me . Even the linesmen was looking back at Marshall as they ran upfield and said nowt . Disgraceful.

Regards EW
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1832No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years224th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:507th May 24 16:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:19 pm  
Edinburgh Warrior wrote:
Lam will probably be pulled up for calling out Hicks for the Mamo try . How a refferee can leave a player on the ground unconscious in this day and age and allow the game to go the length of the field is beyond me . Even the linesmen was looking back at Marshall as they ran upfield and said nowt . Disgraceful.

Regards EW

That one has really irked me. It wasn’t intentional however he was kicked in the head twice which is a penalty. He then goes on to call time off for someone with cramp!
RankPostsTeam
International Star3879
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:2410th May 24 18:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:
Could not agree anymore. The direction the club is heading in is truly concerning. Persisting with Lam when it’s clear he can’t coach (and is deluded beyond belief) is terrifying. What has Lam done to deserve this run? The only reason I can think of is that he’d have to be paid off.

The same reason we’re appointing Peet is the same reason we won’t sack Lam - doing it on the cheap.

The jury is out on Winder imo. Whilst I do think that new ideas are needed, if anyone has earned a shot it's him.

I'm also not sure, who's available from the NRL. They've been through a pretty big upheaval coaching wise and I don't think there's many outstanding talents ready.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3879
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:2410th May 24 18:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:23 pm  
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Yes - a halfback who was involved in 8 tries in total last season (scored one, set up seven) had one of his best seasons ever according to you. Great.

So again, according to you, what 'years ago season' should he have retired after?

He's not been great this year, but let's not try and rewrite the history books that he wasn't impressive last year and earned his new deal. Let's also not make out like we've been carrying him for a good while either, because we haven't.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14321
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 13:4511th Apr 24 10:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
So again, according to you, what 'years ago season' should he have retired after?

He's not been great this year, but let's not try and rewrite the history books that he wasn't impressive last year and earned his new deal. Let's also not make out like we've been carrying him for a good while either, because we haven't.

Like I said if you believe "one of his best seasons last year" is being involved in 8 tries in total as a halfback we have very different views on what constitutes a good season. He's gone on at the club at least two seasons over where he should be to play the position he's currently playing.

Given our recent recruitment and retention making out his deal proves he was worth it is clutching at straws.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:22 am  
DannyT wrote:
I won’t be spending a single extra penny on this club until Lenagan f**** off. It’s pretty clear from the attendances and how quiet the concourses are that others got to that point a bit quicker than I have.

I don't think you will be on your own judging by the size of the crowd at the last home game which cannot be blamed on Covid19 or Lam being the Head Coach.

The problem lies with the present ownership and the running of the club, but sadly, some supporters who come on here cannot face up to the reality that Wigan is now lagging behind Warrington and St Helens which sadly is not just confined to where Rugby League is concerned.

All gone downhill except for the odd season or so since we moved to Whelan's White Elephant which in the eyes of many supporters, the blackest day in the proud history of the club.

No talking about the club and the game of Rugby League in the bars and pubs anymore, hardly any pubs near the Stadium which help to create a match day atmosphere, no proper atmosphere and singing at a game like there was in the days of Central Park,

Not even a World Cup game allocated to Wigan in the coming World Cup and no Internationals and other special games held in Wigan like in the past.

Even some members of the Ian Lenagan Fan Club have now gone very quiet .

The club sadly needs new dynamic leadership and finance if it is to remain the top club and drawing the biggest crowds on this side of the Pennines.

Last edited by Ruddy Duck on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:0510th May 24 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 am  
Having reflected on the performance and leaving Smith out of it as I’ve mentioned my thoughts on him on another thread I think there were positives from last night but also some big negatives which are affecting our ability to win games.

The middles have come in for lots of criticism, and rightly so, however Singleton I thought was outstanding particularly in his first spell. He took on the role of senior prop and really dominated at times. Harvard put in his normal spell the other middles were poor going forward and Clubb may as well hand a target on his head in defence against in and around the ruck.

Our attack is basically get it to Hastings. It’s so predictable. Our halves are simply link men who provide the ball to him. Which ever side he is on the ball goes there meaning basically we telegraph everything we do.

Powell, and this is a tough one as he is a warrior, is killing us with his one dimensional play. As good as he was last year and the improvements he made he’s gone backwards this year. His delivery is slow and inaccurate and there is no craft around the ruck. The markers can get out and pressure the receiver because again his lack of threat enables them to not really have to worry about him. When Bourouh came on the delivery was quicker and he offered a threat from 9.

Rotation of subs. This was really poor. I can’t for the life of me understand his use of the prop rotation last night after half time. When we needed to ramp things up in the second half on waddles 10 minute Tony who huffs and puffs his way round the pitch. I’ve no idea how he gets a game over Clark however when he did come on in the second half he just got in the way. I recall 1 set, maybe the Mamo try one, where he took 3 drives when we were camped on their line. He got dominated each time, generated slow PTB and gave us 0 platform. I cannot understand why we didn’t give him and Byrne a spell straight after half time then have our meter making props in Havard and on the night Singleton go for the last 30. It was like we were doing subs by numbers again looking at the clock regardless of what was going on, on the field.

The use of Bourouh was also pointless, despite our lack of threat at 9 and basically a waste of a bench spot.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 200321 years221st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:133rd May 24 16:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 am  
Couple of observations from outside your Wigan bubble.

Smith needs taking out of the spotlight now. He's shot at the moment. Personally I don't think he is quite the player that you were all touting him to be at the start of the year.

Leluai offers nothing in attack but you all know that as does every team you play against.

I would suggest a big issue is Hastings' game management on attack. I can't believe how often he gets tackled in possession on the fourth tackle after taking the ball in on a pretty standard hit up. Whether this is purposeful or not on his behalf it does mean he's not under pressure to put the play on on the last tackle which just falls to Smith when the defence can spot this easy as the other options have just been tackled or is Leluai. I wonder whether what appears an increased number of random kicks on the last by forwards are also a result of this.
PreviousNext