FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Official - Australia & NZ pull out of World Cup
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach318No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 07 200717 years310th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Dec 23 19:2321st Nov 23 18:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Quote from Graham Lowe - "I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a tripple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of rugby union ......... but I wouldn't last 30 seconds in rugby league!"

We should form two representative teams made up from Australian and Kiwi players already playing in super league. I'm sure we could have 2 fairly competitive teams so that the world Cup can go ahead.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years239th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 07:4229th Mar 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

just kick them out of international rugby, and dont recognise their teams
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29295
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 21:2627th Apr 24 12:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Pugsley Snr wrote:
We should form two representative teams made up from Australian and Kiwi players already playing in super league. I'm sure we could have 2 fairly competitive teams so that the world Cup can go ahead.

It would devalue it by an unbelievable amount for me. I’d like to know the players thoughts Down Under and what potential there is for them to rock the boat and come out and say they want to travel. The NRL says Oz and NZ won’t be travelling but can they stop a group of players coming should they want to? Can they play under a slightly different guise? There has to be avenues they can look at. Trent Robinson threw his weight behind the importance of them coming a few days ago. Get him on board and let him coach a rep team that breaks away.

All hot air with no basis of knowing the possibility of something like that happening but I’d love for there to at least be some effort made.
Last edited by NickyKiss on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player125No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 24 20:0717th Jan 24 20:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

MattyB wrote:
The game is dying.

Going off topic a bit here but without going into it in detail (will later when I'm less busy) I feel the game in this country needs to completely relaunch. Its time for the bigger clubs in this league to have the shackles taken off, scrap the salary cap and go for it.

Think Wigan RL of the mid 90's x 5 (Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Wire, Hull... etc).

Household name signings, blue-chip sponsorship deals. The lot.

Either that or we are semi-pro in less than five years.

Said this for ages....there needs to be another SL break-away with new branding.

• Super league has been lost to womans footbal, netball and fantasy football leagues, just like the Rugby WC, due to our ineptitude and failure to trademark it!
• The word 'league' also has negative connotations....just listen to how some in the southern based media say the word 'league' is derisory.
• Most of the media make it clear it is the northern game, and perpetuate old stereotypes of whippets, coal mines, deprived northern towns and eddie wearing!

We need to go the same way as france....ditch league and rebrand the whole game as Rugby XIII, spoken as Rugby thirteens.

It would cause confusion to loads of casual JCL union fans who watch six nations etc to watch our game and realise the product is better, without the negative connotations and the job union has done to it! It would create a new product...imagine a marketing campaign where you went out to buy 1 second slots on national prime time advertising just with a black screen and RUGBY XIII...Its coming! Then expand with occasional adverts showing class snippets of action.

It would do what 'the hundred' is doing for cricket, but would also help us nick those union fans on the fringes, if done correctly.

But, like the hundred, it also needs to be done as part of a brave re brand, appealing to new people and giving people in different regions a team to support- to appeal to wider new fan base but also dispel the myth that we are just run down northern towns that detracts investors...and gives us only Heinz big soup and bachelors peas.

We can be parochial and backward thinking no longer. We need to be brave, and all the clubs need to embrace it.

IMO we need to rebrand most teams, still playing in the usual towns, same grounds and initially to largely the same fanbase, but allowing them to play an odd game in their wider region each year, to create opportunity for growth

Imagine a SL of the following;

Leeds Rhinos
Liverpool Saints (St Helens rebrand, still based at Langtree park in St Helens etc, but showing presence)
Manchester Fords (Salford rebrand on the same premise as Saints, with Fords being a throw to Salford) If Salford are too parocial and not brave enough then a new Manchester club.
Cheshire Wire (Warrington rebrand- same premise)
Lancashire Warriors or possibly Wigan Lancs (due to the strength of the Wigan brand)
Hull East Yorkshire
London SW Broncos
Tyne Thunder Newcastle rebrand, promoted to SL
Wales / Celtic Crusaders Back at Wrexham, where they were successful and actually starting to get crowds.
Catalan Dragons
Toulouse Olympique who will probably be in next year anyway

Most of those clubs are already in place and ready to go, but with some smart re-brands you are appealing to huge areas of the country, rather than a few hundred thousands in deprived northern towns.

You may add another one or possible 3/4 teams to that on a franchise model and on the basis of appealing to wider areas.
It Toronto can sort themselves and ultimately get Ottawa in, they would get places.
If cas sorted a new ground you could have West Yorkshire Tigers....otherwise if they want to remain parochial in their hovel of a ground they would play in a strong re-formed British Championship

British champions get the opportunity to apply for a SL licence should they wish every 3 years, upon condition of appealing to a wider area. Ie/ if york came in they'd be York North Yorkshire - Sheffield - South Yorkshire etc.

Yes it takes a huge mindshift, yes you need to be brave, but do that and the game can survive.....carry on and we're dead in the water in 10 years, back to semi pro and amateur.

Sadly its a commercial world, and the SL i have put together there would command probably twice the amount of the new deal, plus more as it grows....simply on the basis of population you are appealing to. Same consideration with sponsors. Some say its pie in the sky, it'll never happen because fans would be in arms, but IMO i would be prepared to lose the 20-40/50% who can't see the bigger picture....they can be replaced rather than hold the game back and ultimately kill it!

If you're that childish and parochial you won't go if your team re-brand to represent a wider area, your a massive reason why the game is dying in the first place. Ultimately the game has to lose some of this deadwood to survive IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 28 200320 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 20:4823rd Feb 24 23:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Wonder if we can get waney earlier now?!?! :THINK: :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4653
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 24 00:5026th Apr 24 23:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

NickyKiss wrote:
. Rugby League fans in this country shouldn’t even contemplate watching an NRL/Origin game on Sky going forward until a time comes when they look at the bigger picture.

Oh dear.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

moto748 wrote:
Oh dear.

Elaborate mate or it means nothing.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3870
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 19:2127th Apr 24 11:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

NickyKiss wrote:
Elaborate mate or it means nothing.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'd assume he's saying it's a bit drastic.

I know I'm odd, but when it comes to British RL I'll watch Wigan and that's it. If Saints Vs Leeds is on the TV, I'll switch over. I have zero interest in anything that isn't Wigan. I'm completely tribal and it's all about us. If Wigan aren't on the TV, then they should be etc. If there's a podcast, like the Out of Your League one, I'll listen to the Wigan ones but can't think of anything worse than listening to them interview a Darryl Powell or Leroy Cudjoe etc.

When it comes to the NRL I'm the opposite. I'll watch every game and spend my week listening to podcasts about it etc. It's just better. The players (on the whole), the fitness, the tactics, the production, the stadia etc. It's what the game should be and then you switch to Cas Vs Hudds and it's like watching a knock-off version of the game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1357
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 13 200321 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 18:0027th Apr 24 07:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Category 3

sergeant pepper wrote:

I know I'm odd, but when it comes to British RL I'll watch Wigan and that's it. If Saints Vs Leeds is on the TV, I'll switch over. I have zero interest in anything that isn't Wigan. I'm completely tribal and it's all about us. If Wigan aren't on the TV, then they should be etc. If there's a podcast, like the Out of Your League one, I'll listen to the Wigan ones but can't think of anything worse than listening to them interview a Darryl Powell or Leroy Cudjoe etc.

When it comes to the NRL I'm the opposite. I'll watch every game and spend my week listening to podcasts about it etc. It's just better. The players (on the whole), the fitness, the tactics, the production, the stadia etc. It's what the game should be and then you switch to Cas Vs Hudds and it's like watching a knock-off version of the game.

Me too
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

sergeant pepper wrote:

I guess that’s what he means also and I don’t think it is drastic if you’re a fan of a British Rugby League Club. This is NRL driven and could have a dire impact on all British rugby league clubs, including our own. We need this tournament and we need it this year. We have wall to wall coverage lined up on the BBC, coverage we won’t get next season (confirmed by the chair of the rugby league earlier) because the BBC has other things to show. As a British rugby league fan I certainly wouldn’t be supporting a competition that is trying it’s best to stamp out international rugby league. I’m sure they’re not overly reliant on a British TV deal but still. It shows it no support year in year out and is now hiding behind covid as an excuse.

I’m the other way on the NRL, I don’t know how people can be so passionate for it over here without a connection to a club. The old line was always how competitive it is but it’s been anything but this season. Melbourne and Penrith are miles clear of the rest and the number of blow out scores has been a shambles. Even the meaningful Origin games were poor.
PreviousNext