Apr 14 201014 years244th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 13:4929th Mar 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:18 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
The medical staff are allowed to come on immediately and make the call. No need to stop the game for that to happen.
Stopping the game only encourages teams to go down (particularly at the start of defensive sets on transition).

I mentioned 2 weeks ago about 3 of the last 4 games having 7/8/9 stoppages, and 95% of those stoppages happen first 2 tackles of a defensive set.
Thats why I questioned you about a player having to leave the field if he goes down and game is stopped. That would discourage players going down unnecessarily. I thought we had brought it in over here for general paly but maybe its only NRL that do it?

Either way, I'm telling Lam from now on play it that way.
Kick deep, make first tackle and go down injured tapping your head. Let defensive line set and get some energy back. Job done
We'll kill the sport (and it will be wigans fault) but hey who cares.
Forget Powell having a shoulder injury and game.playing on, just tap your head and game will stop for o reason 40 years away from play.

On the game thread I mentioned at HT that it had happened 3/4 times first half, and then within 20mins of 2nd half starting another 4 or 5, its a joke.

Ended up arguing with The Hudds fan, who was having a go at Powell for time wasting when he actually had to go off !!!
The Nerve of their spectator

We improved the game a couple of years back with scrum clock and shot clock, weve got tondo something about this pretty soon because its making the game a joke.
Nearly 2hrs Sunday for an 80min game

how many times did Hudds go down in the defensive line? Id say all apart from the high kick when Marshall fouled him, they even stopped play when he was off the pitch, ive never seen that before ever and was ridiculous
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years212th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 06:4514th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:22 pm  
[Gareth] wrote:
Id say immediate time off the pitch for a compulsory HIA on ALL suspected head contact would do the trick. if the player stays down they go off

Do you think there is a danger that players with head injuries would be more likely to try to play on with them if they knew that? Rather than taking a knee and letting a physio take a look to see whether it's serious. That also buys time for the medical team to review the footage of the relevant collision to see whether the player was knocked out, unsteady etc (many won't be aware that happens in all SL games).

I agree it's an issue and there is gamesmanship going on, but we have to make looking after head injuries the number 1 priority, regardless of what that means for the quality of the game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7742
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 14:5421st May 24 21:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:38 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Do you think there is a danger that players with head injuries would be more likely to try to play on with them if they knew that? Rather than taking a knee and letting a physio take a look to see whether it's serious. That also buys time for the medical team to review the footage of the relevant collision to see whether the player was knocked out, unsteady etc (many won't be aware that happens in all SL games).

I agree it's an issue and there is gamesmanship going on, but we have to make looking after head injuries the number 1 priority, regardless of what that means for the quality of the game.

Where does it end?
The trainers/physios are never off the field anyway, it took 8 seconds for a trainer to be at the side of Jones on Sunday and if game had carried on his treatment would have been affected how? If it was so serious that extra medical attention was needed then trainer could inform the officials and they stop the game, if play goes anywhere near the injured player officials can stop the game (like how it used to be).
What is to be gained from standing around for 2mins waiting for a player who in all seriousness took a bang on the nose and all he was doing was waiting for VR to review it to try and get a penalty and at the same time gain his defensive line 2 mins red to get set.
2hrs the game took Sunday
In 4 of the last 5 games (fair play to saints as they didn't get themselves involved in it but to be fair they didn't need to) there must have been 35 plus stoppages (about 25 plus for our opposition i would guesstimate) and only 3 i think opposition players went off with maybe 3 for us (2 Sunday from 2 stoppages).

2 years ago the fame improved 25% overnight with introduction of shot clock and scrum clock.
Suddenly the coaches and players have found a new way to cheat the game.

If a player goes down game carries on unless trainer calls for it (or any obvious case where an opposition player can see there's a problem and calls officials to stop game for example or the official can see it immediately)
Once player has been assessed if he goes off the fair enough as they lose a substitute which they wouldn't want to do
If he plays on then he leaves the field for the set or 1min whatever

As it is there is absolutely nothing/zero to stop players going down every tackle and its becoming a farce (anyone who and the displeasure of watching the Leeds catalan game about 3 years ago where catalans went down about 25 times in the game you have my sympathy).

Yes, occasionally a player will try and carry on, it still happens now, and the medical people will have to watch out for it, like they do now.

Were.over complicating it and the coaches/players are exploiting it
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4670
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 18:1628th May 24 14:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:10 pm  
I've been trying to find it, but my Google-fu has let me down: Don't the NRL have some system whereby if you are injured, you have to leave the field for two minutes, or something? Which I understood as an attempt to address the issue Jukes is taking about.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7742
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 pm  
moto748 wrote:
I've been trying to find it, but my Google-fu has let me down: Don't the NRL have some system whereby if you are injured, you have to leave the field for two minutes, or something? Which I understood as an attempt to address the issue Jukes is taking about.

On another thread I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago as I was getting increasingly frustrated at players not leaving the field.
I thought SL had brought the rule in but Grimmy advised its only for drop out situations

If players/coaches will cheat/bend the rules at drop outs, they'll do it at scrums, they'll do it increasingly at transition plays (1st and 2nd tackles).

Something has to happen, because its creeping into the game

And whilst people can shout player safety the fact is all the precautions and rules/checks are in place already.
Game.doesnt need to stop, and if it does then player leaves field.for x amount of time
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4670
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 18:1628th May 24 14:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Hastings Suspended : Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:50 pm  
Yeah, fully agree.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 28 200321 years267th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th May 24 21:4524th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: Hastings Suspended : Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:46 am  
Just watched the incident again. Jones walks away from the tackle then goes down on his knee holding his nose. Never in a million years does it warrant a ban for that. Don't care what anyone says a ban for that is a disgrace.Ive watched the game 35 years and if that warrents a ban then I don't know where the game is going .something needs to change.RANT OVER!
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years212th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 06:4514th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Hastings Suspended : Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:20 am  
JIMMY MAGNETS wrote:
Just watched the incident again. Jones walks away from the tackle then goes down on his knee holding his nose. Never in a million years does it warrant a ban for that. Don't care what anyone says a ban for that is a disgrace.Ive watched the game 35 years and if that warrents a ban then I don't know where the game is going .something needs to change.RANT OVER!

.... or just don't move injured players, especially opposition ones.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7742
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Hastings Suspended : Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:20 am  
JIMMY MAGNETS wrote:

Remember he's been banned for what happened after, i.e. pulling on the collar of Jones shirt - Not for the initial contact

I can just about get my head around the fact he shouldn't have done that - However It goes back to the original point that there is absolutely no Negative for any player going down even if they are Milking it etc. and going down to try & get VR to look at the instance (Obviously TV games have another layer of complexity which is a whole other story I've been banging on about for years) to gain a penalty.

And if there was a negative to going down, i.e. the game played on or the player had to leave the field for say 2mins or whatever then there would be less reason for teams to be coached/use that tactic to go down.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7742
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Hastings Suspended : Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 am  
Grimmy wrote:
.... or just don't move injured players, especially opposition ones.

I've just pointed out that the Ban is for pulling at his shirt whilst he was kneeling

Rest of the points are absolutely valid and if not careful the game will end up like American football with a stop after every play.
PreviousNext