RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday.
21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 11:05 am  

User avatarAshton Bears wrote:
Ashton Bears User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 1335
Location: Around the three Sisters
Adrian Lam names the Wigan 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils.
The head coach names an unchanged side from the one that beat Leigh.
Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 22nd May, AJ Bell Stadium 1pm K.O.
Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils in the Betfred Super League this Saturday.
Lam’s side will look to continue their winning start to the Super League season on Saturday when they travel to the AJ Bell Stadium to face Richard Marshall’s side.

The Red Devils have had a contrasting start to 2021, having won just one of their six Betfred Super League fixtures.

Team News
After being handed a Grade F charge (Unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin), prop forward Tony Clubb will serve the third of an eight match ban. Full statement HERE.

Injury News
Club captain Tommy Leuluai remains unavailable with a sternum injury.

Oliver Gildart again misses out as he looks to return from a groin issue which has kept him out of action in 2021 so far.

Liam Marshall is still unavailable as he recovers from a knee injury (ACL) which has kept the winger out of action since September 2020

Half back Jai Field continues his recovery from a torn hamstring sustained during Wigan’s season opener against Leigh Centurions in March.

Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils

1. Bevan French
2. Dom Manfredi
3. Zak Hardaker
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
15 Morgan Smithies
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
28. Sam Halsall
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 11:15 am  

apollosghost wrote:
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 1719
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
Bullock for Singleton (assuming Lam is rotating the props) and Pearce-Paul for Smithies, no point risking an ankle injury especially on a short turnaround
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 11:19 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25671
Location: WIGAN
It’s got to the stage with Lams injury news that you may as well ignore it. Gildart not quite right for Leigh but definitely right for Salford was the word last week. I think he said the same on Leuluai. Marshall’s 2-3 weeks could be 2-3 months I’d imagine.

Anyways, aside from that I’d probably go with the same again bar maybe Bullock starting, Partington dropping to the bench and Shorrocks dropping out.
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 4:21 pm  

User avatarAshton Bears wrote:
Ashton Bears User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 1335
Location: Around the three Sisters
Smithies and Isa may not be 100 % fit says Lam blood two new ones.

French
Manfredi
Hardaker
Halsall
Bibby
Smith
Hastings
Bullock
Powell
Singleton
Bateman
Farrell
Partington
Havard, Clark, Byrne, Pearce-Paul.
Last edited by Ashton Bears on Thu May 20, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm  

User avatarNSW wrote:
NSW User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 2520
Ashton Bears wrote:
Smithies and Isa may not be 100 % fit says Lam blood two new ones.

Bullock coming in for Smithies seems obvious.

Isa being out is a little trickier, Hardaker to centre Hanley to wing. Or Halsall straight into the centres.

Mumblings KPP could get a run which would be good.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 7:58 pm  

User avatarNSW wrote:
NSW User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 2520
Super League’s joint table-toppers Wigan look like having to travel to the AJ Bell Stadium to face Salford on Saturday minus the services of Willie Isa.

The Samoan international sustained a corked calf muscle in Monday night’s defeat of Leigh Centurions and according to Adrian Lam he is a doubtful starter at the weekend along with Morgan Smithies, who has what his coach describes as “a high ankle sprain and muscle tear issue” that also occurred in the victory at Leigh Sports Village.

Although Smithies’ injury was not as bad as it had first appeared, Isa’s will be a difficult one to fully shake-off with only six days between matches and the Warriors boss is inclined to err on the side of caution.

“It’s a short turnaround for both clubs and you’ve got to make sure you’re playing players who are 100 per cent fit,” he said.

“If those two aren’t quite 100 per cent it’s probably a week not to pick them and to give someone else an opportunity.”

That opportunity may again come knocking for 20-year-old Kai Pearce-Paul, who has been seen for only a few minutes in Wigan colours in last year’s 0-42 defeat by St Helens, also played at the AJ Bell Stadium.

The London-born second-row comes with a giant reputation, commensurate with his 6’ 5’’ stature and Lam said: “I think if Morgan Smithies doesn’t play Kai Pearce-Paul will come into the line-up.

“He’s a player that I’ve been holding back to play for a long time. He’s very exciting, one for the fans and all of Super League to watch. He’s got a big future ahead of him but he’s been like a wild dog on a short lead so hopefully we can let him go off that lead and attack on Saturday and you’ll get to see one of Wigan’s next young players coming through.”

Pearce-Paul has proved a real handful to stop in opposed training sessions and Lam admitted “when we named him in the squad all the boys cheered really loudly because they know what he’s capable of doing.

“Hopefully if he gets selected this week it will be the start of many to come but he’s certainly one to keep your eye on because he’s got that ‘X Factor’ about him. (He’s) a big body. Mobile, agile, lanky arms, got an offload, great footwork and he’s hard to contain.”

In addition to that potential excitement, Wigan will soon be able to welcome back club captain Thomas Leuluai, who should be available for the trip to Catalan next week, while Oliver Gildart is described by his coach as having “a big chance of playing” against the Dragons.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 8:56 pm  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm
Posts: 443
What the bloody hell is a corked calf muscle when it's at home :lol:
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Thu May 20, 2021 9:40 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25671
Location: WIGAN
Pie_Eyter wrote:
What the bloody hell is a corked calf muscle when it's at home :lol:


Who knows but I guess it’ll keep him out between one and thirty seven weeks going off Lam’s updates.
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Fri May 21, 2021 5:53 am  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 6847
Ashton Bears wrote:
Adrian Lam names the Wigan 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils.
The head coach names an unchanged side from the one that beat Leigh.
Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 22nd May, AJ Bell Stadium 1pm K.O.
Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils in the Betfred Super League this Saturday.
Lam’s side will look to continue their winning start to the Super League season on Saturday when they travel to the AJ Bell Stadium to face Richard Marshall’s side.

The Red Devils have had a contrasting start to 2021, having won just one of their six Betfred Super League fixtures.

Team News
After being handed a Grade F charge (Unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin), prop forward Tony Clubb will serve the third of an eight match ban. Full statement HERE.

Injury News
Club captain Tommy Leuluai remains unavailable with a sternum injury.

Oliver Gildart again misses out as he looks to return from a groin issue which has kept him out of action in 2021 so far.

Liam Marshall is still unavailable as he recovers from a knee injury (ACL) which has kept the winger out of action since September 2020

Half back Jai Field continues his recovery from a torn hamstring sustained during Wigan’s season opener against Leigh Centurions in March.

Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils

1. Bevan French
2. Dom Manfredi
3. Zak Hardaker
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
15 Morgan Smithies
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
28. Sam Halsall
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings


3. Hardaker
1. French
22. Bibby
28. Halsall
2. Manfredi
20. Smith
31. Hastings
8. Singleton
9. Powell
21. Havard
12. Farrell
11. Isa
13. Bateman

14. Partington
19. Bryne
27. KPP
10. Bullock

Preferring Zak at FB purely due to the weather, I doubt French will be able to hit his straps on a wet muddy AJ Bell field. Strong starting pack to match Salford’s predictable early aggression. I get the feeling it’ll be a tough day due to the weather and we’ll need to dig deep and play to the conditions. Still should be walking away with a 6-10pt win IMO.
Last edited by 100% Warrior on Fri May 21, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: 21 man squad to face Salford Saturday. Fri May 21, 2021 6:08 am  

WWste wrote:
WWste Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am
Posts: 122
Last seasons game against Salford it was performances from Brown, Sarg and Evalds who won them the match. Salford in recent year have been a bogey team for us but I think with those players out and Watson gone we should win.

Will be good to see Budgie play as well as KPP if he is picked.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CM Punk, ColD, Dave K., LewCharnock and 127 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,186,0261,00278,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Fri 30th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Wests16-18NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Brisbane37-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 29th Jul
NRL RND: 20 Sydney28-0Parramatta
SLRND: 16 Catalans40-20Wakefield
SL RND: 16 Hull FC12-22Leeds
Wed 28th Jul
SL RND: 16 Warrington21-8Wigan
Sun 25th Jul
CH RND: 14 Sheffield28-40Halifax
CH RND: 14 Batley42-12Newcastle
CH RND: 14 Bradford30-36Featherstone
CH RND: 14 Whitehaven28-24Oldham
CH RND: 14 York46-10Swinton
L1 RND: 11 Barrow40-12Coventry
L1 RND: 11 Hunslet20-20Keighley
NRL RND: 19 St.George10-32Gold Coast
NRL RND: 19 Canterbury24-44Cronulla
Sat 24th Jul
NRL RND: 19 Souths60-22NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 19 Manly44-24Wests
NRL RND: 19 Penrith18-12Brisbane
L1 RND: 12 LondonS46-30West Wales
SL RND: 13 Catalans32-30Hull KR
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 18
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 17 632 198 434 30
Penrith 17 493 179 314 30
Souths 17 503 346 157 28
Parramatta 17 474 255 219 26
Sydney 17 453 335 118 22
Manly 17 485 354 131 20
St.George 17 358 382 -24 16
Cronulla 17 326 394 -68 14
 
Canberra 17 347 421 -74 14
Newcastle 17 283 420 -137 14
Gold Coast 17 394 468 -74 12
Wests 17 372 502 -130 12
NQL Cowboys 17 324 527 -203 12
NZ Warriors 17 333 426 -93 10
Brisbane 17 282 542 -260 8
Canterbury 17 212 522 -310 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 15 459 246 213 28 186.59 93.33
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 14 429 221 208 21 194.12 75
Wigan 16 255 289 -34 20 88.24 62.50
Hull FC 13 298 237 61 15 125.74 57.69
Hull KR 11 271 244 27 12 111.07 54.55
 
Leeds 15 354 263 91 16 134.60 53.33
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 13 212 508 -296 0 41.73 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 9 433 88 345 18 492.05 100
Featherstone 13 573 166 407 26 345.18 100
Halifax 14 398 199 199 20 200 71.43
Bradford 13 354 315 39 18 112.38 69.23
LondonB 13 374 337 37 17 110.98 65.38
Batley 14 370 286 84 18 129.37 64.29
 
Widnes 13 307 344 -37 11 89.24 42.31
Newcastle 13 284 400 -116 11 71 42.31
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Whitehaven 14 277 396 -119 11 69.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 13 197 379 -182 9 51.98 34.62
Oldham 13 190 470 -280 4 40.43 15.38
Swinton 14 234 529 -295 0 44.23 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 10 342 150 192 17 228 85
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 9 308 189 119 14 162.96 77.78
Keighley 10 348 239 109 10 145.61 50
Rochdale 10 279 280 -1 10 99.64 50
Crusaders 10 278 318 -40 10 87.42 50
 
Coventry 8 204 240 -36 8 85 50
Hunslet 10 268 257 11 8 104.28 40
LondonS 8 154 292 -138 2 52.74 12.50
West Wales 10 122 514 -392 0 23.74 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X