RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Hull FC Cup Game
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25406
Location: WIGAN
I like winning trophies and Wane will do that. The rugby is worse now than it was under Waney, so that excuse from Lenagan hasn’t worked out. If Wigan want to play an ultra attacking brand of rugby, they’re going to need some big forwards who are difficult to pull down and who will offload the ball. If we don’t invest in them then Wane is exactly the man we’ll need to work with the forwards we have.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7819
Location: The Mighty Wigan
NickyKiss wrote:
I like winning trophies and Wane will do that. The rugby is worse now than it was under Waney, so that excuse from Lenagan hasn’t worked out. If Wigan want to play an ultra attacking brand of rugby, they’re going to need some big forwards who are difficult to pull down and who will offload the ball. If we don’t invest in them then Wane is exactly the man we’ll need to work with the forwards we have.


We also don't know what impact 3 years of what has essentially been CPD will have done for Wane.

Whether its at Wigan or not he needs to be working on a full-time basis - he's too good not to be and its clear its driving him round the bend not being out on the training field every week. He'll put up with it in a World Cup year but after that I can't see Wane continuing as England coach unless he's allowed to do it alongside a club role.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 4:58 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 6716
NickyKiss wrote:
I like winning trophies and Wane will do that. The rugby is worse now than it was under Waney, so that excuse from Lenagan hasn’t worked out. If Wigan want to play an ultra attacking brand of rugby, they’re going to need some big forwards who are difficult to pull down and who will offload the ball. If we don’t invest in them then Wane is exactly the man we’ll need to work with the forwards we have.


I get what you’re saying and I find myself agreeing but I think that ship for Wane and Wigan has sailed. Whatever really happened leading to him leaving can’t have repaired itself and I just don’t believe bringing Wane back is a good move. I feel we need a new direction and step away from the perceived ‘thugby’ style we play.

The style IL wants - and some fans for that matter - requires heavy investment and an overhaul of coaching from top to bottom. That was never in a million years going to happen under Lam and further to that was never going to happen with a pack that struggles to make yards and offload. It’s not a case of bringing in Justin Holbrook (for example) and it’s sorted. We need the players to match that style 1-17 and I’m not convinced we have that style. We attack and attack well sometimes but our games are generally won on our blood-to-water style defence. That’s our style, that’s how we ware teams down and go on to win through then shifting the ball attacking tired teams. If anything it probably makes us look better than we actually are.

That’s not what Wane will bring and we’ll have disgruntled “fans” all over again whinging they’re bored despite winning trophies expecting the Monie style Wigan to con rolling back. I’m not calling for it by any means but if you want that type coach who’s available you’d go to Brian McDermott who again has a proven track record but yet seems to be ridiculed relentlessly.

I’d be taking serious looks at Jason Demetriou or Craig Fitzgibbon personally. Both are extremely well rated and it’s purely a matter of time before they get a Head Coaches gig.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 4:59 pm  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7819
Location: The Mighty Wigan
100% Warrior wrote:
I get what you’re saying and I find myself agreeing but I think that ship for Wane and Wigan has sailed. Whatever really happened leading to him leaving can’t have repaired itself and I just don’t believe bringing Wane back is a good move. I feel we need a new direction and step away from the perceived ‘thugby’ style we play.

The style IL wants - and some fans for that matter - requires heavy investment and an overhaul of coaching from top to bottom. That was never in a million years going to happen under Lam and further to that was never going to happen with a pack that struggles to make yards and offload. It’s not a case of bringing in Justin Holbrook (for example) and it’s sorted. We need the players to match that style 1-17 and I’m not convinced we have that style. We attack and attack well sometimes but our games are generally won on our blood-to-water style defence. That’s our style, that’s how we ware teams down and go on to win through then shifting the ball attacking tired teams. If anything it probably makes us look better than we actually are.

That’s not what Wane will bring and we’ll have disgruntled “fans” all over again whinging they’re bored despite winning trophies expecting the Monie style Wigan to con rolling back. I’m not calling for it by any means but if you want that type coach who’s available you’d go to Brian McDermott who again has a proven track record but yet seems to be ridiculed relentlessly.

I’d be taking serious looks at Jason Demetriou or Craig Fitzgibbon personally. Both are extremely well rated and it’s purely a matter of time before they get a Head Coaches gig.


Fitzgibbon has already been given the Cronulla job.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 5:22 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25406
Location: WIGAN
100% Warrior wrote:
I get what you’re saying and I find myself agreeing but I think that ship for Wane and Wigan has sailed. Whatever really happened leading to him leaving can’t have repaired itself and I just don’t believe bringing Wane back is a good move. I feel we need a new direction and step away from the perceived ‘thugby’ style we play.

The style IL wants - and some fans for that matter - requires heavy investment and an overhaul of coaching from top to bottom. That was never in a million years going to happen under Lam and further to that was never going to happen with a pack that struggles to make yards and offload. It’s not a case of bringing in Justin Holbrook (for example) and it’s sorted. We need the players to match that style 1-17 and I’m not convinced we have that style. We attack and attack well sometimes but our games are generally won on our blood-to-water style defence. That’s our style, that’s how we ware teams down and go on to win through then shifting the ball attacking tired teams. If anything it probably makes us look better than we actually are.

That’s not what Wane will bring and we’ll have disgruntled “fans” all over again whinging they’re bored despite winning trophies expecting the Monie style Wigan to con rolling back. I’m not calling for it by any means but if you want that type coach who’s available you’d go to Brian McDermott who again has a proven track record but yet seems to be ridiculed relentlessly.

I’d be taking serious looks at Jason Demetriou or Craig Fitzgibbon personally. Both are extremely well rated and it’s purely a matter of time before they get a Head Coaches gig.


Fitzgibbon has the Cronulla job from next season I think. Wigan need to decide what we want to be. If we’re after playing attacking rugby then you need the right personnel. There’s no point saying we want to bring fans back by wowing them with the brand of rugby but then keep signing grafters in the pack like Singleton or filling it with young grafters like Partington and Smithies.

Cas probably played the best rugby we’ve seen in superleague in 2017 and they did that on the basis of having big, offloading forwards like Moors, Millington and Sene Lefao. I think a lot of Lams talk of playing attacking rugby is hot air anyway because even somebody like Bateman is playing one up, risk free rugby most of the time, so it doesn’t ring true that he wants us to entertain but even if he did want to, we don’t have the right forwards for it.

We have two options for me and that’s 1-we want to change the brand of rugby so we need to change the style of player we’re signing or bring through and we’ll need a squad overhaul (mainly in the forwards) or 2-we back the style of player we currently have, currently sign and currently bring through, so we need a coach that suits that and there’s nobody better than Wane. He’d be great for lads like Partington and Smithies. If any relationships between him and Lenagan are beyond repair I don’t know but if they’re not, it’s an easy decision for me.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 6716
NickyKiss wrote:
Fitzgibbon has the Cronulla job from next season I think. Wigan need to decide what we want to be. If we’re after playing attacking rugby then you need the right personnel. There’s no point saying we want to bring fans back by wowing them with the brand of rugby but then keep signing grafters in the pack like Singleton or filling it with young grafters like Partington and Smithies.

Cas probably played the best rugby we’ve seen in superleague in 2017 and they did that on the basis of having big, offloading forwards like Moors, Millington and Sene Lefao. I think a lot of Lams talk of playing attacking rugby is hot air anyway because even somebody like Bateman is playing one up, risk free rugby most of the time, so it doesn’t ring true that he wants us to entertain but even if he did want to, we don’t have the right forwards for it.

We have two options for me and that’s 1-we want to change the brand of rugby so we need to change the style of player we’re signing or bring through and we’ll need a squad overhaul (mainly in the forwards) or 2-we back the style of player we currently have, currently sign and currently bring through, so we need a coach that suits that and there’s nobody better than Wane. He’d be great for lads like Partington and Smithies. If any relationships between him and Lenagan are beyond repair I don’t know but if they’re not, it’s an easy decision for me.


So he has, my bad I’d forgotten!

I agree with that. Ideally we’d have a complete overhaul. If you look at the players leaving and potential player(s) coming in we have half a chance. GW plus 2 big, offloading props in the mould of Moors/Millington would go a hell of a way to changing the way we are set up to play. It would also exponentially improve the squad. That’s a relatively cheap way of doing it, these props rarely cost the world, much underpaid for what they do IMO - but I am a former prop forward so I would say that!!

I’m not against Wane coming back, but I’m not for it either. I just firmly believe we need a total new direction and a coach who had no ties to Wigan in any what way like Lam or Wane do.

Either way, Wane or not, the next coaching appointment is absolutely critical IMO and will mean the difference between Wigan going like Leeds under Furner or Wigan going like Saints under Holbrook.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 8:00 pm  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm
Posts: 427
Demetriou's record as a coach is incredible but it has already been noticed. He has got the gig as head coach at South's from next season. There isn't really a lot of top level coaches out of a job or looking for a new one.
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Mon May 10, 2021 9:00 pm  

User avatarNSW wrote:
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 2458
The fact Adrian Lam sides play better rugby than Shaun Wanes sides is a myth.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm  

moto748 wrote:
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 3802
NSW wrote:
The fact Adrian Lam sides play better rugby than Shaun Wanes sides is a myth.


In which case it's not a fact. :D
Re: Hull FC Cup Game Wed May 12, 2021 3:06 pm  

User avatarPemps wrote:
Pemps User avatar
100% League Network Sponsor
100% League Network Sponsor

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 pm
Posts: 18604
Location: Usually on here

moto748 wrote:
In which case it's not a fact. :D

So the myth that Lam's team play more attacking rugby is a fact?
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 100% Warrior, Cbr1000rr, DannyT, dany1979, Darwen Warrior, Dave K., Ena Street, hatty, JIMMY MAGNETS, Malooo, Marcus's Bicycle, markyp3172, Salty, WARRIOR5, Wiremansam and 326 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,169,5431,49378,6306,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 19th Jun
NRL
LIVE
Newcastle10-6NZ Warriors
Fri 18th Jun
NRL RND: 15 NQL Cowboys24-26Cronulla
NRL RND: 15 Penrith32-18Sydney
SL RND: 10 Huddersfield8-9Salford
SL RND: 10 Wigan8-18Hull KR
Thu 17th Jun
NRL RND: 15 Brisbane0-46Souths
SL RND: 10 St.Helens2-6Warrington
Wed 16th Jun
SLRND: 10 Wakefield12-18Castleford
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
CH RND: 9 Swinton30-36Newcastle
CH RND: 9 Whitehaven20-24Batley
CH RND: 9 Widnes22-24LondonB
L1 RND: 6 Coventry12-30Workington
L1 RND: 6 Keighley70-12West Wales
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 9 208 76 132 14 273.68 77.78
Wigan 9 166 154 12 14 107.79 77.78
Warrington 10 308 159 149 15 193.71 75
Hull FC 9 179 143 36 11 125.17 61.11
Hull KR 10 241 212 29 12 113.68 60
 
Castleford 10 203 244 -41 10 83.20 50
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 9 158 171 -13 6 92.40 33.33
Wakefield 10 175 249 -74 4 70.28 20
Salford 10 115 297 -182 4 38.72 20
Leigh 9 134 322 -188 0 41.61 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 6 251 66 185 12 380.30 100
Doncaster 6 250 126 124 10 198.41 83.33
Workington 6 210 106 104 10 198.11 83.33
Keighley 6 228 147 81 6 155.10 50
Hunslet 6 146 147 -1 6 99.32 50
Coventry 5 118 144 -26 4 81.94 40
 
Rochdale 6 161 196 -35 4 82.14 33.33
Crusaders 6 122 218 -96 4 55.96 33.33
LondonS 5 114 212 -98 2 53.77 20
West Wales 6 82 320 -238 0 25.63 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X