Jan 20 201311 years90th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Yes, he is currently the Super League's top error maker with 7, which doesn't include the 3 he made v Saints on debut last year.

He's playing on the wing though. You instantly forget everything when you play out of position.

Reminds me of the Escare defenders saying he was poop under the high ball because he wasn't a winger.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years90th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 pm  
I like Hanley as a player BTW I just don't think he's ready yet.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1624
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201113 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jan 23 16:4728th Dec 22 17:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
I like Hanley as a player BTW I just don't think he's ready yet.

FWIW I agree with you. But we haven't many options at the moment.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years211th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:0614th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
He's playing on the wing though. You instantly forget everything when you play out of position.

Reminds me of the Escare defenders saying he was poop under the high ball because he wasn't a winger.

'Solid, unlucky not to get man of the match' on the Hanley scale is roughly equivalent to 'I'll pack his bags myself' on the Gelling/Sarginson scale. I'd pick him v York because I'd rather him get experience against a Championship team, but it's frustrating that people outright deny the errors are happening when they would slaughter other players for it.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1624
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201113 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
Eh? What has that got to do with anything?

Someone said he is playing out of position (he is) but his mistakes are nothing to do with that. Moving from FB to Wing doesn't make you drop the ball. How many times he dropped it is irrelevant.

Just trying to gauge how bad his performance was. I think if he had scored the try then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1624
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201113 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Yes, he is currently the Super League's top error maker with 7, which doesn't include the 3 he made v Saints on debut last year.

Thank you, so 2.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years211th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Wingers : Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:03 pm  
Sweaty Betty's wrote:
Thank you, so 2.

I just told you he has made more errors than any player in the Super League this year, following an error-strewn debut last year, and that is what you take from it? He was better this week but even then, in the cold light of day he's bombed a sitter of a try at one end and was very lucky not to needlessly cost us a try at the other. Give him a run against York then try to get him a gig in the Championship for the year.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1624
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201113 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:07 am  
Grimmy wrote:
I just told you he has made more errors than any player in the Super League this year, following an error-strewn debut last year, and that is what you take from it? He was better this week but even then, in the cold light of day he's bombed a sitter of a try at one end and was very lucky not to needlessly cost us a try at the other. Give him a run against York then try to get him a gig in the Championship for the year.

You did. My point is that he made two (7-5) in his last match, correct? If so, he has improved from the previous week which I think we can all agree is a step in the right direction. He did bomb a sitter and he will be the first to admit it. He could have cost us a try, but he didn't, I think we could say that about every rugby league player during their careers! He certainly wasn't at fault for the only try that Wakefield scored, but I have not seen anyone on this forum criticise the players that did. Let's have a bit of fairness, don't be a school yard bully and pick on a young lad. For what it is worth, he wasn't the player who made the most errors in the Wakefield match either. Now I am not against developing the lad by giving him the opportunity to play in the Championship, but if you are suggesting that he should be loaned out because of his errors, then surely you would want the same criteria to apply to all the other first team members?

By the way, if young Hanley went out on loan who would take his place?

Finally, did you watch Tom Davies play today? We need to bring that lad back.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years211th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:

Re: Wingers : Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:47 am  
Sweaty Betty's wrote:
You did. My point is that he made two (7-5) in his last match, correct? If so, he has improved from the previous week which I think we can all agree is a step in the right direction. He did bomb a sitter and he will be the first to admit it. He could have cost us a try, but he didn't, I think we could say that about every rugby league player during their careers! He certainly wasn't at fault for the only try that Wakefield scored, but I have not seen anyone on this forum criticise the players that did. Let's have a bit of fairness, don't be a school yard bully and pick on a young lad. For what it is worth, he wasn't the player who made the most errors in the Wakefield match either. Now I am not against developing the lad by giving him the opportunity to play in the Championship, but if you are suggesting that he should be loaned out because of his errors, then surely you would want the same criteria to apply to all the other first team members?

If Hanley went on loan then French would take his place. We could go: Hardaker - French - Farrell - Isa - Bibby
with Gildart and Manfredi eventually coming in to push Farrell and Isa back into the forwards.

I am using the same criteria as with other players. We don't have any other players making as many errors as him, particularly ones that generally occur deep in our own half. That isn't bullying, it's a fact. The scoreboard doesn't care whether you're a youngster or the son of a famous player.

I wanted him loaned out anyway to be honest. If he had taken his chance well during this injury crisis then I would have said leave him in the first team, but he has struggled so I haven't changed my opinion. I'd rather him get experience playing against weaker opposition in an environment where it isn't going to cost us points. It might hurt his confidence a bit, but those are the highs and lows of professional sport he will have to get used to. I'm more bothered about winning games.

Yes I'd love Davies back if Manfredi doesn't work out, but I don't think he would come https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/tom-davies-why-wigan-warriors-style-play-didnt-suit-him-and-recalls-fears-injury-would-end-his-career-2500474%3famp
Sweaty Betty's wrote:

If Hanley went on loan then French would take his place. We could go: Hardaker - French - Farrell - Isa - Bibby
with Gildart and Manfredi eventually coming in to push Farrell and Isa back into the forwards.

I am using the same criteria as with other players. We don't have any other players making as many errors as him, particularly ones that generally occur deep in our own half. That isn't bullying, it's a fact. The scoreboard doesn't care whether you're a youngster or the son of a famous player.

I wanted him loaned out anyway to be honest. If he had taken his chance well during this injury crisis then I would have said leave him in the first team, but he has struggled so I haven't changed my opinion. I'd rather him get experience playing against weaker opposition in an environment where it isn't going to cost us points. It might hurt his confidence a bit, but those are the highs and lows of professional sport he will have to get used to. I'm more bothered about winning games.

Yes I'd love Davies back if Manfredi doesn't work out, but I don't think he would come https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/tom-davies-why-wigan-warriors-style-play-didnt-suit-him-and-recalls-fears-injury-would-end-his-career-2500474%3famp
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29271
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 14:1619th Apr 24 11:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wingers : Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:39 pm  
The options of who plays where won’t be a problem for a couple of weeks yet. Lam has confirmed to the evening post today that French, Gildart and Manfredi are all 2-3 weeks away.
PreviousNext