RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wingers
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2994
Location: Watching Rugby League
Grimmy wrote:
Yes, he is currently the Super League's top error maker with 7, which doesn't include the 3 he made v Saints on debut last year.


He's playing on the wing though. You instantly forget everything when you play out of position.

Reminds me of the Escare defenders saying he was poop under the high ball because he wasn't a winger.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2994
Location: Watching Rugby League
I like Hanley as a player BTW I just don't think he's ready yet.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 pm  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 1356
Egg Chasing wrote:
I like Hanley as a player BTW I just don't think he's ready yet.


FWIW I agree with you. But we haven't many options at the moment.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 15310
Egg Chasing wrote:
He's playing on the wing though. You instantly forget everything when you play out of position.

Reminds me of the Escare defenders saying he was poop under the high ball because he wasn't a winger.

'Solid, unlucky not to get man of the match' on the Hanley scale is roughly equivalent to 'I'll pack his bags myself' on the Gelling/Sarginson scale. I'd pick him v York because I'd rather him get experience against a Championship team, but it's frustrating that people outright deny the errors are happening when they would slaughter other players for it.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 pm  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 1356
Egg Chasing wrote:
Eh? What has that got to do with anything?

Someone said he is playing out of position (he is) but his mistakes are nothing to do with that. Moving from FB to Wing doesn't make you drop the ball. How many times he dropped it is irrelevant.


Just trying to gauge how bad his performance was. I think if he had scored the try then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 pm  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 1356
Grimmy wrote:
Yes, he is currently the Super League's top error maker with 7, which doesn't include the 3 he made v Saints on debut last year.


Thank you, so 2.
Re: Wingers Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:03 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 15310
Sweaty Betty's wrote:
Thank you, so 2.

I just told you he has made more errors than any player in the Super League this year, following an error-strewn debut last year, and that is what you take from it? He was better this week but even then, in the cold light of day he's bombed a sitter of a try at one end and was very lucky not to needlessly cost us a try at the other. Give him a run against York then try to get him a gig in the Championship for the year.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Wingers Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:07 am  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 1356
Grimmy wrote:
I just told you he has made more errors than any player in the Super League this year, following an error-strewn debut last year, and that is what you take from it? He was better this week but even then, in the cold light of day he's bombed a sitter of a try at one end and was very lucky not to needlessly cost us a try at the other. Give him a run against York then try to get him a gig in the Championship for the year.


You did. My point is that he made two (7-5) in his last match, correct? If so, he has improved from the previous week which I think we can all agree is a step in the right direction. He did bomb a sitter and he will be the first to admit it. He could have cost us a try, but he didn't, I think we could say that about every rugby league player during their careers! He certainly wasn't at fault for the only try that Wakefield scored, but I have not seen anyone on this forum criticise the players that did. Let's have a bit of fairness, don't be a school yard bully and pick on a young lad. For what it is worth, he wasn't the player who made the most errors in the Wakefield match either. Now I am not against developing the lad by giving him the opportunity to play in the Championship, but if you are suggesting that he should be loaned out because of his errors, then surely you would want the same criteria to apply to all the other first team members?

By the way, if young Hanley went out on loan who would take his place?

Finally, did you watch Tom Davies play today? We need to bring that lad back.
Re: Wingers Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:47 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 15310
Sweaty Betty's wrote:
You did. My point is that he made two (7-5) in his last match, correct? If so, he has improved from the previous week which I think we can all agree is a step in the right direction. He did bomb a sitter and he will be the first to admit it. He could have cost us a try, but he didn't, I think we could say that about every rugby league player during their careers! He certainly wasn't at fault for the only try that Wakefield scored, but I have not seen anyone on this forum criticise the players that did. Let's have a bit of fairness, don't be a school yard bully and pick on a young lad. For what it is worth, he wasn't the player who made the most errors in the Wakefield match either. Now I am not against developing the lad by giving him the opportunity to play in the Championship, but if you are suggesting that he should be loaned out because of his errors, then surely you would want the same criteria to apply to all the other first team members?

By the way, if young Hanley went out on loan who would take his place?

Finally, did you watch Tom Davies play today? We need to bring that lad back.

If Hanley went on loan then French would take his place. We could go: Hardaker - French - Farrell - Isa - Bibby
with Gildart and Manfredi eventually coming in to push Farrell and Isa back into the forwards.

I am using the same criteria as with other players. We don't have any other players making as many errors as him, particularly ones that generally occur deep in our own half. That isn't bullying, it's a fact. The scoreboard doesn't care whether you're a youngster or the son of a famous player.

I wanted him loaned out anyway to be honest. If he had taken his chance well during this injury crisis then I would have said leave him in the first team, but he has struggled so I haven't changed my opinion. I'd rather him get experience playing against weaker opposition in an environment where it isn't going to cost us points. It might hurt his confidence a bit, but those are the highs and lows of professional sport he will have to get used to. I'm more bothered about winning games.

Yes I'd love Davies back if Manfredi doesn't work out, but I don't think he would come https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/tom-davies-why-wigan-warriors-style-play-didnt-suit-him-and-recalls-fears-injury-would-end-his-career-2500474%3famp
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Wingers Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:39 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 26043
Location: WIGAN
The options of who plays where won’t be a problem for a couple of weeks yet. Lam has confirmed to the evening post today that French, Gildart and Manfredi are all 2-3 weeks away.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CM Punk, dany1979, Egg Chasing, Father Ted, Google Adsense [Bot], Itchy Arsenal, jaws1, MadDogg, NickyKiss, Pieman, Pugsley Snr, sergeant pepper and 322 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 25th Sep
NRL RND: 28 Melbourne6-10Penrith
CH RND: 23 Batley22-10Bradford
CH RND: 23 Halifax24-20Whitehaven
Fri 24th Sep
SL RND: 26 Warrington0-19Hull KR
NRL RND: 28 Souths36-16Manly
Thu 23rd Sep
SL RND: 26 Wigan0-8Leeds
Sun 19th Sep
SL RND: 25 Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH RND: 22 Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH RND: 22 Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH RND: 22 Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH RND: 22 Halifax10-12Batley
CH RND: 22 Swinton16-26Widnes
CH RND: 22 York30-22LondonB
L1 RND: 22 Doncaster31-10Hunslet
WSL RND: 16 St.HelensW52-0WiganW
WSL RND: 16 YorkW28-14CastlefordW
Sat 18th Sep
NRL RND: 27 Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH RND: 22 Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1 RND: 22 Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::