Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 23:2719th Apr 24 21:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bateman : Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 pm  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Must admit I’d forgotten about goal kicking. A very good point. I need to rethink on the backline
I honestly think McShane is a shoeing
He’s canny and a hard lad, A perfect Wane player

I think McShane is a cracking player. He’s a bit old school in how he plays and I think he’d cause loads of problems around the ruck for the big international packs he’d face. I’m not sure what Waney will look for though. If we look at his time here, he didn’t ever have a hooker like McShane, one who would look to control a game and create opportunities for others and play really expansively. He had hookers who were supremely fit, brilliant defensively and who would keep things simple by getting quick ball to the forwards and his halfbacks. I just think Roby offers a bit of everything if his body is still up to it though.

As long as Hodgson isn’t in then I’m happy enough. He is rugby leagues biggest mystery for me. An absolute bog average superleague hooker who has gone to Oz and somehow built a huge rep that has got him international recognition, yet every time he’s turned out for England/GB he’s looked every bit the average player that left superleague a few years back.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3868
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:1217th Apr 24 14:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:16 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I think McShane is a cracking player. He’s a bit old school in how he plays and I think he’d cause loads of problems around the ruck for the big international packs he’d face. I’m not sure what Waney will look for though. If we look at his time here, he didn’t ever have a hooker like McShane, one who would look to control a game and create opportunities for others and play really expansively. He had hookers who were supremely fit, brilliant defensively and who would keep things simple by getting quick ball to the forwards and his halfbacks. I just think Roby offers a bit of everything if his body is still up to it though.

As long as Hodgson isn’t in then I’m happy enough. He is rugby leagues biggest mystery for me. An absolute bog average superleague hooker who has gone to Oz and somehow built a huge rep that has got him international recognition, yet every time he’s turned out for England/GB he’s looked every bit the average player that left superleague a few years back.

I'm shuddering at the thought of Mcshane playing for England. Imagine lining up vs Cook or Grant for Aus or Smith for NZ and we've got Paul Mcshane, a fat lad who plays for Cas.

I can't understand how different posters can say Faz or Powell could be club level players, or talk about the merits of Watts & still be happy with the very definition of a club level player at 9.

Hodgson, for all his faults, is one of the premier 9's in the premier rugby comp. I agree there's a degree of hype there and that needs factoring in, but he does deliver week in week out. He's be my 3rd choice behind Roby (who's head and shoulders in the lead) and Clark. After that it's Powell and then I'd even be looking at William's at 9 before Mcshane.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29272
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I'm shuddering at the thought of Mcshane playing for England. Imagine lining up vs Cook or Grant for Aus or Smith for NZ and we've got Paul Mcshane, a fat lad who plays for Cas.

I can't understand how different posters can say Faz or Powell could be club level players, or talk about the merits of Watts & still be happy with the very definition of a club level player at 9.

Hodgson, for all his faults, is one of the premier 9's in the premier rugby comp. I agree there's a degree of hype there and that needs factoring in, but he does deliver week in week out. He's be my 3rd choice behind Roby (who's head and shoulders in the lead) and Clark. After that it's Powell and then I'd even be looking at William's at 9 before Mcshane.

Must be watching a different player to me (although he wouldn’t be my first choice as I say). He’s been superb for 3 or 4 seasons now and is a very classy player.

On a different note, I could easily change my mind on Lomax over Williams if he continues as he’d started this morning for Canberra. He was even kicking goals, so maybe him and Lomax could be accommodated.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:0614th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Must be watching a different player to me (although he wouldn’t be my first choice as I say). He’s been superb for 3 or 4 seasons now and is a very classy player.

On a different note, I could easily change my mind on Lomax over Williams if he continues as he’d started this morning for Canberra. He was even kicking goals, so maybe him and Lomax could be accommodated.

Is Lomax tough enough for the job? Might be just my perception but he seems to spend a lot of time on the floor getting treatment in close games against us, then goes missing. Deacon and Long both got serious facial injuries playing in the halves during international wins against Aus/NZ. Would Lomax be up for that? Not saying he's soft, no player at that level is, but I do think he can be intimidated out of the game.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3868
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:1217th Apr 24 14:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:11 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Must be watching a different player to me (although he wouldn’t be my first choice as I say). He’s been superb for 3 or 4 seasons now and is a very classy player. .

I guess so yeah, everyone sees different things.

I would ask tho, how's Mcshane been classy and Hodgson is a mystery? Hodgson hasn't done the business at international level but he's been excellent in the NRL.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32309
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years165th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 00:124th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:13 am  
NickyKiss wrote:

Williams got the man of the match award.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32309
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years165th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 00:124th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:18 am  
Grimmy wrote:
Is Lomax tough enough for the job? Might be just my perception but he seems to spend a lot of time on the floor getting treatment in close games against us, then goes missing. Deacon and Long both got serious facial injuries playing in the halves during international wins against Aus/NZ. Would Lomax be up for that? Not saying he's soft, no player at that level is, but I do think he can be intimidated out of the game.

Lomax is plenty tough enough and a very good player. Wane was very interested in bringing him to Wigan about three or four years back (when Barba 1st came to Saints and took the fullback spot)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams or Lomax on the bench for England, both can play in different positions.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 am  
Grimmy wrote:

I know he’s had a bad head injury in the past and I recall him getting a bit of treatment now and again for knocks but it’s never been my perception that’s he’s somebody you can bully out of a game. That’s something I always threw at Leeds new player and ex Saints player Kyle Eastmond but certainly not Lomax.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:32 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I guess so yeah, everyone sees different things.

I would ask tho, how's Mcshane been classy and Hodgson is a mystery? Hodgson hasn't done the business at international level but he's been excellent in the NRL.

They both try and control games from dummy half IMO but Hodgson goes over the top and try’s to do not only his job but the halfbacks jobs as well. I watch McShane and I just think he has a better balance about him. He’s attacking and really creative but not at the detriment of his halfbacks. Hodgson is forever taking the ball out of dummy half before moving it on and he cuts back the room his halfbacks and forwards get when they receive the ball. I didn’t see it as a coincidence last year when Canberra improved after Hodgson picked up an injury. Suddenly Wighton and Williams got quicker ball and the forwards started rolling teams. There’s times when Hodgson looks like he wants to play with a ball of his own.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:0614th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Bateman : Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:47 pm  
Bateman at SR today, probably due to Isa being shifted out to the centres. I think that puts the theory that he will be out backup centre to bed though if Isa is being put there instead.
PreviousNext