FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers - Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tomkins best player......
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:3014th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:40 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Following on from last nights quiz regarding fullbacks me and Liam had a discussion this morning about Sam Tomkins. Had Chris Melling not tragically suffered that acl injury so early in his career would Sam have ever took that fullback spot? Melling was not only a great fullback in the making but was also a superb goalkicker and a very good captain and reader of the game, such a shame that we never got to see him progress. Mind you he also played centre for England academy, so who knows.

We'll never know, but I don't think Melling was destined for the 1 jersey. Ashton came through not long after, which I think would have spelled the end for Melling at Wigan given that we had cover in Colbon, Sean Gleeson and Goulding. Don't forget we were still fairly poor at converting youngsters into regular starters at the time Melling was coming through as well. Nearly all the youngsters we produced around that time ended up forging decent SL careers at other clubs. If he came through a few years later then maybe.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:2825th Mar 24 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
For sure. Sometimes it's hard not to fall into the trap of slating one player to make your case for another. I can remember a CC semi against Leeds and an international against Aus where he came unstuck and cost us points, but it certainly wasn't an every week kind of thing. For me it was more whether I preferred Radlinski or Williams/Lam in the 17. I think almost everyone agrees Tomkins would have to be in there, and I stand by his ability to play in the halves, he tore it up there in 09 and early 10.

That CC semi was a massive upset. Wigan had all the stars and were flying.
The very bad aspect of Tomkins came out, when he stopped playing mid action and starte chasing the ref, leaving a massive hole for Hardaker to stroll through...
I remember laughing at the time, looked so comical and amateur like....
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 pm  
Shabino wrote:
That CC semi was a massive upset. Wigan had all the stars and were flying.
The very bad aspect of Tomkins came out, when he stopped playing mid action and starte chasing the ref, leaving a massive hole for Hardaker to stroll through...
I remember laughing at the time, looked so comical and amateur like....

Yeah there was a season when he came back from NZ where he seemed to spend every game doing that, combined with wrapping himself around defenders looking for a penalty. I thought he was done, but the season after he screwed his head back on and played brilliantly again in his last season for us (albeit in more of a creative role) and has continued to do so for Catalans. He's a clear choice for England this time for me.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:3927th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Yeah there was a season when he came back from NZ where he seemed to spend every game doing that, combined with wrapping himself around defenders looking for a penalty. I thought he was done, but the season after he screwed his head back on and played brilliantly again in his last season for us (albeit in more of a creative role) and has continued to do so for Catalans. He's a clear choice for England this time for me.

I think he might actually be better suited to internationals now then he was at his blistering best. He looks to have worked so hard on his defence, his organisational skills and his play making. There’s very little space in internationals against the top sides and a lad who can blitz superleague defences with his individual running game won’t find it as easy to find space against the Aussies and Kiwis but if you’ve got a lad with the ability to be a play or two in front and work space for others than your chances improve.

He’s absolutely nailed on for the fullback shirt IMO. I’d personally have him in the conversations for the captaincy.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:03 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
I think he might actually be better suited to internationals now then he was at his blistering best. He looks to have worked so hard on his defence, his organisational skills and his play making. There’s very little space in internationals against the top sides and a lad who can blitz superleague defences with his individual running game won’t find it as easy to find space against the Aussies and Kiwis but if you’ve got a lad with the ability to be a play or two in front and work space for others than your chances improve.

He’s absolutely nailed on for the fullback shirt IMO. I’d personally have him in the conversations for the captaincy.

Agreed. Except I'd have him in the halves now too :lol: not a massive fan of Lomax. In tough games against us I think he tends to spend a lot of time on the floor getting treated, then go missing. The aussies and kiwis often get nasty when they sense an upset, ask Long and Deacon who both got serious facial injuries in internationals we have won.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:11 pm  
Grimmy wrote:

Agreed. Not even a discussion about fullback. He was back to his very best last year....
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:3927th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:20 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Agreed. Except I'd have him in the halves now too :lol: not a massive fan of Lomax. In tough games against us I think he tends to spend a lot of time on the floor getting treated, then go missing. The aussies and kiwis often get nasty when they sense an upset, ask Long and Deacon who both got serious facial injuries in internationals we have won.

I can’t think of anyone else I’d want at fullback tbh or I’d consider it. I think Lomax deserves a crack at six. He’s played a few games for England but they seem to have been at fullback or cameos off the bench. One issue I’ve got is that I think we need a top level goal kicker as well and a player to kick us around the field and I don’t think Lomax, Williams or Tomkins bring that. At the minute I’d probably go 1-Tomkins, 6-Lomax and 7-Gale and have George Williams covering the halves and hooker from the bench.

I’ve read a few people saying how poor the halfback options are at the moment but we’ve been in worse spots in the last 20-30 years. It’s tough to really judge it because we hardly play any internationals but the lads available are playing for top teams here and in Williams case, holding down a spot at one of the best teams in the NRL. It’s not all bad IMO.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:37 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
I can’t think of anyone else I’d want at fullback tbh or I’d consider it. I think Lomax deserves a crack at six. He’s played a few games for England but they seem to have been at fullback or cameos off the bench. One issue I’ve got is that I think we need a top level goal kicker as well and a player to kick us around the field and I don’t think Lomax, Williams or Tomkins bring that. At the minute I’d probably go 1-Tomkins, 6-Lomax and 7-Gale and have George Williams covering the halves and hooker from the bench.

I’ve read a few people saying how poor the halfback options are at the moment but we’ve been in worse spots in the last 20-30 years. It’s tough to really judge it because we hardly play any internationals but the lads available are playing for top teams here and in Williams case, holding down a spot at one of the best teams in the NRL. It’s not all bad IMO.

Just realised I totally forgot Gale. Dur. Disregard my last post. Tomkins at FB, Williams and Gale in the halves.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1306No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years229th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:0528th Mar 24 12:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wigan home of league

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:00 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
NickyKiss wrote:

I had a front row seat to the tackle on Deacon at Huddersfield, was one of the most blatant shots that I’ve seen, the damage nearly killed him.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tomkins best player...... : Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm  
stpatricks wrote:
I had a front row seat to the tackle on Deacon at Huddersfield, was one of the most blatant shots that I’ve seen, the damage nearly killed him.

That shot had nothing to do with Winning instinct. Was one of the worst things I've seen on a rugby field.
As bad as the assault on Ronan O 'Gara, which you can watch in graphic detail on YouTube
PreviousNext