RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:41 am  

Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 2758
Shaun Johnson has signed a 2 year deal with the Warriors… unfortunately, New Zealand Warriors!!
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 am  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 18286
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
NSW wrote:
Does Bibby warrant a contract extension?


I think he does.

Very solid and reliable player. Still only young and can cover 2 positions.

Can score a try and provides good post contact meters.

Kind of player a team needs in a salary capped sport.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2557
Location: In the sky with diamonds
jonh wrote:
I think he does.

Very solid and reliable player. Still only young and can cover 2 positions.

Can score a try and provides good post contact meters.

Kind of player a team needs in a salary capped sport.


Agree with this.

Bibby is still relatively young, but in a shortish career he's shown he can be an asset to a club that's going well.

He's been off the boil a little, but like the rest of the young guys, they are being seriously let down by senior players. Singleton, Powell, Bateman & Tommy have been up and down (not all bad btw). We've also been let down by Zak and Clubb on the disciplinary front too.

There's too many senior guys who need to step up.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:56 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 26006
Location: WIGAN
For varying reasons the young ones have had to pick up too much slack for all of the following-Hardaker, Manfredi, Gildart, Marshall, Leuluai, Clubb, Powell, Singleton, Bullock, Clark and Bateman. It’s a mix bag of injury, suspension or not being at their best. I can count on a few fingers the senior players who have managed to stay fit and have played to somewhere approaching their best (Isa, Farrell and Hastings).

All roads lead back to the coach IMO. It is his job to get the best out of his players and for 90% of his time here, he’s been unable to do it.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:04 am  

The pieman wrote:
The pieman Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:19 pm
Posts: 333
Location: Wigan
NSW wrote:
If a professional rugby league player can’t adapt to playing on the other side of the field we need to pack up and go home.


i sort of agree, but everyone has a preferred side

i am right handed and would play on the right wing, fend with left and step out to the right. yes i could play left but my preference is to carry the ball on the right side, so my fend wouldnt be effective and my preferred step would be infield

look at the highly paid professional footballer in comparison who gets paid massive amounts of money and how many of those can play naturally 2 footed as is being alluded to on here. Ryan Giggs one of the most decorated players in history over here had a left peg and that was it, he played left side and pretty sure that was it, but we are expecting a rugby league player just to switch sides like that

whilst i think it can be done, i dont think it will be natural to everyone
World Club Challenge
1987, 1991, 1994, 2017
Championship/SL
1908/09, 1921/22, 1925/26, 1933/34, 1945/46, 1946/47, 1949/50, 1951/52, 1959/60, 1986/87, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94, 1994/95, 1995, 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018

forever in our shadow
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:05 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2557
Location: In the sky with diamonds
NickyKiss wrote:

All roads lead back to the coach IMO. It is his job to get the best out of his players and for 90% of his time here, he’s been unable to do it.


Hit the nail on the head there. Can we honestly say that he's getting the best out of Hastings and Bateman (two of our premier players)? They've been good, but there's loads more to get from them.

I posted yesterday that I looked at the Salford side that got to the GF in 2019. This side, imo, is better than that one. The difference is Watson squeezed everything out of Hastings and he walked the MOS. Imagine if we could get that from him & Bateman.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:07 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 26006
Location: WIGAN
sergeant pepper wrote:
Hit the nail on the head there. Can we honestly say that he's getting the best out of Hastings and Bateman (two of our premier players)? They've been good, but there's loads more to get from them.

I posted yesterday that I looked at the Salford side that got to the GF in 2019. This side, imo, is better than that one. The difference is Watson squeezed everything out of Hastings and he walked the MOS. Imagine if we could get that from him & Bateman.


I’m always loathed to criticise Hastings because his energy and effort is great but I agree Lam hasn’t got anything like his best from him. I’m not expecting him to play like that 2019 season every year but you only need to look at the stats to see Lam hasn’t given him the chance to hit the heights. In that season he scored 9 try’s and made 36 assists. Last year it was 9 try’s and 18 assists and this year it’s 2 try’s and 7 assists. He’s a magic player Hastings but Lam can’t even get the best from him.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2557
Location: In the sky with diamonds
NickyKiss wrote:
I’m always loathed to criticise Hastings because his energy and effort is great but I agree Lam hasn’t got anything like his best from him. I’m not expecting him to play like that 2019 season every year but you only need to look at the stats to see Lam hasn’t given him the chance to hit the heights. In that season he scored 9 try’s and made 36 assists. Last year it was 9 try’s and 18 assists and this year it’s 2 try’s and 7 assists. He’s a magic player Hastings but Lam can’t even get the best from him.


Oh I'm definitely not knocking Hastings. I think he's a top player and has been a shinning light in a poor start. He's said himself that he's been playing a different role, one that's more part of a team and that's (normally) what you'd expect at a bigger club.

That being said and especially with the injury to French, now's the time to go back on that and make it 'his team'. Make it like it was at Salford i.e you get the ball to Hastings, you do what Hastings says etc. There would only be 1 exception to the rule and that's Bateman. Get him at 13, get him involved more. Then get KPP at 2nd row with Faz and have them as strike players out wide (like Jones did at Salford).
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:04 am  

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 224
NSW wrote:
If a professional rugby league player can’t adapt to playing on the other side of the field we need to pack up and go home.


Of course you can adapt but for some players it will never be the same as the dominant side and when fine margins come into it, that can and will be the difference.

Do you never wonder why Liam Farrell is so effective on one side? Should he pack up and go home?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:10 am  

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 224
sergeant pepper wrote:
Oh I'm definitely not knocking Hastings. I think he's a top player and has been a shinning light in a poor start. He's said himself that he's been playing a different role, one that's more part of a team and that's (normally) what you'd expect at a bigger club.

That being said and especially with the injury to French, now's the time to go back on that and make it 'his team'. Make it like it was at Salford i.e you get the ball to Hastings, you do what Hastings says etc. There would only be 1 exception to the rule and that's Bateman. Get him at 13, get him involved more. Then get KPP at 2nd row with Faz and have them as strike players out wide (like Jones did at Salford).


What does "getting Bateman more involved" entail?

Bateman is best hitting lines outwide at second row where defect is more scattered / less set. If we cannot get him involved, or is it him not wanting to get involved? at second row then there is an issue. Moving him to 13 will mean more tackling, running at a more set defence. You may be referring to involved with some passes at 13? This isn't what he is good at and we should avoid.

Bateman to 13 is round peg square hole. He is an out and out second rower, played all of his best rugby there so lets keep him there?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigredwarrior, ChrisA, CM Punk, dany1979, exiled Warrior, Father Ted, FIOS, Google Adsense [Bot], Grimmy, Itchy Arsenal, Pieman, sergeant pepper, The Magic Rat, Wigg'n and 239 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 19th Sep
SL
LIVE
Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH
LIVE
Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH
LIVE
Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH
LIVE
Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH
LIVE
Halifax10-12Batley
CH
LIVE
Swinton16-26Widnes
CH
LIVE
York30-22LondonB
L1
LIVE
Doncaster31-10Hunslet
WSL
LIVE
St.HelensW52-0WiganW
WSL
LIVE
YorkW28-14CastlefordW
Sat 18th Sep
NRL RND: 27 Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH RND: 22 Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1 RND: 22 Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
SL RND: 25 Salford26-14St.Helens
SLRND: 25 Wakefield44-12Hull FC
SL RND: 25 Wigan12-8Catalans
NRL RND: 27 Manly42-6Sydney
Thu 16th Sep
SL RND: 25 Castleford24-40Warrington
Sun 12th Sep
SLRND: 24 Leigh26-18Wakefield
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::