RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 11:34 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7869
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Apparently we expressed late interest in George Lawler. Looks to be heading to Cas though.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 11:49 am  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 18131
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
MadDogg wrote:
Apparently we expressed late interest in George Lawler. Looks to be heading to Cas though.


I saw that on the other forum.

Words fail me IF that’s true.

He offered absolutely nothing different to what we already have.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7869
Location: The Mighty Wigan
jonh wrote:
I saw that on the other forum.

Words fail me IF that’s true.

He offered absolutely nothing different to what we already have.


We'll field 17 backrowers one of these days.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25698
Location: WIGAN
jonh wrote:
I saw that on the other forum.

Words fail me IF that’s true.

He offered absolutely nothing different to what we already have.


It’s the most worrying rumour I’ve seen recently because it’s looking like the same mistakes will keep being repeated. Small props, converted from back rowers, who make little impact with the ball but defend their socks off aren’t what we need but are what we constantly go for.

As I said on the other forum, Lenagan and Rads should bring a consultant in who knows what a good prop is and ask them to scour the globe for a couple because they’ve consistently failed to address that area of the field properly and it’s not funny anymore.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 12:41 pm  
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 1536
Bring in Kelvin Skerrett
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 1296
NickyKiss wrote:
It’s the most worrying rumour I’ve seen recently because it’s looking like the same mistakes will keep being repeated. Small props, converted from back rowers, who make little impact with the ball but defend their socks off aren’t what we need but are what we constantly go for.

As I said on the other forum, Lenagan and Rads should bring a consultant in who knows what a good prop is and ask them to scour the globe for a couple because they’ve consistently failed to address that area of the field properly and it’s not funny anymore.


The problem is people keep saying we need big forwards but who do you suggest? We have some big forwards, Tony Clubb is big but is the worst prop at the club, Clark is big but can’t even get in ahead of Clubb, Bullock is a massive bloke but is hardly pulling up trees. George Burgess is f**king massive but did nothing last season. Wane made the comment against the Roosters all those years back that we were just too small so he obviously knew the problem but wasn’t able to rectify it because these big unit props that can do decent minutes and are not liabilities in defence are few and far between.
I personally think we have the answer to our prop problem already at the club in Havard and Byrne, they just need another year or two to become real dominant forces although it would seem Havard already has one eye on the NRL.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2403
Location: In the sky with diamonds
CobraCraig wrote:
The problem is people keep saying we need big forwards but who do you suggest? We have some big forwards, Tony Clubb is big but is the worst prop at the club, Clark is big but can’t even get in ahead of Clubb, Bullock is a massive bloke but is hardly pulling up trees. George Burgess is f**king massive but did nothing last season. Wane made the comment against the Roosters all those years back that we were just too small so he obviously knew the problem but wasn’t able to rectify it because these big unit props that can do decent minutes and are not liabilities in defence are few and far between.
I personally think we have the answer to our prop problem already at the club in Havard and Byrne, they just need another year or two to become real dominant forces although it would seem Havard already has one eye on the NRL.


The bar is really low when it comes to our current sets of props. Just because we've signed more duds than good ones, doesn't mean that we shouldn't sign anyone imo.

I can easily name you 10 players, who aren't international standard, but would still walk into our starting team.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2890
Location: Watching Rugby League
CobraCraig wrote:
The problem is people keep saying we need big forwards but who do you suggest? We have some big forwards, Tony Clubb is big but is the worst prop at the club, Clark is big but can’t even get in ahead of Clubb, Bullock is a massive bloke but is hardly pulling up trees. George Burgess is f**king massive but did nothing last season. Wane made the comment against the Roosters all those years back that we were just too small so he obviously knew the problem but wasn’t able to rectify it because these big unit props that can do decent minutes and are not liabilities in defence are few and far between.
I personally think we have the answer to our prop problem already at the club in Havard and Byrne, they just need another year or two to become real dominant forces although it would seem Havard already has one eye on the NRL.


Well he dominated his next WCC so looks like he did sort it.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25698
Location: WIGAN
CobraCraig wrote:
The problem is people keep saying we need big forwards but who do you suggest? We have some big forwards, Tony Clubb is big but is the worst prop at the club, Clark is big but can’t even get in ahead of Clubb, Bullock is a massive bloke but is hardly pulling up trees. George Burgess is f**king massive but did nothing last season. Wane made the comment against the Roosters all those years back that we were just too small so he obviously knew the problem but wasn’t able to rectify it because these big unit props that can do decent minutes and are not liabilities in defence are few and far between.
I personally think we have the answer to our prop problem already at the club in Havard and Byrne, they just need another year or two to become real dominant forces although it would seem Havard already has one eye on the NRL.


Clearly nobody just means big or we could walk round Wigan town centre on a Saturday afternoon and find the two tallest/widest blokes we could find and throw them in. We need some physical presence in the middle and a couple of lads who won’t just surrender when they hit the line. In most cases that tends to be props who are 6ft plus and have some size on them. It’s been an issue for years now and we’ve never properly fixed it. We all thought we’d cracked it with GB but they’d obviously not done enough homework on his injury.

I agree Havard and Byrne are excellent young prospects but they simply haven’t got enough quality around them and we’re asking too much too soon of them. You look at Saints and they had Walmsley, Amor and Lee’s in the squad last season. They lost Graham and go out and replace him with Paasi, who is a big guy and is making good ground for them. He looks to have more go forward than any prop we’ve signed in a number of years. That took one attempt! The others have been there for a number of years. In the meantime we’ve been struggling to get a decent one in for years.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri May 14, 2021 3:55 pm  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 1296
NickyKiss wrote:
Clearly nobody just means big or we could walk round Wigan town centre on a Saturday afternoon and find the two tallest/widest blokes we could find and throw them in. We need some physical presence in the middle and a couple of lads who won’t just surrender when they hit the line. In most cases that tends to be props who are 6ft plus and have some size on them. It’s been an issue for years now and we’ve never properly fixed it. We all thought we’d cracked it with GB but they’d obviously not done enough homework on his injury.

I agree Havard and Byrne are excellent young prospects but they simply haven’t got enough quality around them and we’re asking too much too soon of them. You look at Saints and they had Walmsley, Amor and Lee’s in the squad last season. They lost Graham and go out and replace him with Paasi, who is a big guy and is making good ground for them. He looks to have more go forward than any prop we’ve signed in a number of years. That took one attempt! The others have been there for a number of years. In the meantime we’ve been struggling to get a decent one in for years.


Who though? Everyone seems to be crying out for these big props who will improve our pack but I don’t see anyone coming up with a list of realistic targets and I don’t think there is many in the league full stop.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apollosghost, Cherry toffee, Cherry_&_White, DannyT, exiled Warrior, FIOS, Froggy, Grimmy, JIMMY MAGNETS, LewCharnock, NickyKiss, nidger, NSW, Phuzzy, sergeant pepper, The pieman, tyr, verbatim and 240 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,187,6401,68178,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Mon 2nd Aug
NRL RND: 20 Canterbury6-34Gold Coast
NRL RND: 20 Cronulla22-40Manly
SL RND: 17 Castleford16-34Huddersfield
SL RND: 17 Hull FC10-42St.Helens
SL RND: 17 Hull KR16-23Catalans
Sun 1st Aug
NRL RND: 20 St.George14-50Souths
NRL RND: 20 Newcastle34-24Canberra
NRL RND: 20 Melbourne37-10Penrith
CH RND: 15 Dewsbury18-22Swinton
CH RND: 15 Featherstone6-23Toulouse
CH RND: 15 Halifax24-21Bradford
CH RND: 15 Newcastle14-20Whitehaven
CH RND: 15 Oldham20-30LondonB
CH RND: 15 Widnes16-34Batley
L1 RND: 12 Doncaster24-46Hunslet
L1 RND: 12 Crusaders72-4West Wales
L1 RND: 12 Rochdale20-42Keighley
SL RND: 17 Wigan50-6Leigh
SL RND: 17 Leeds26-27Warrington
Sat 31st Jul
L1 RND: 12 LondonS12-14Coventry
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 19 689 224 465 34
Penrith 19 521 228 293 32
Souths 19 613 382 231 32
Parramatta 19 484 295 189 26
Sydney 19 509 343 166 26
Manly 19 569 400 169 24
Gold Coast 19 460 484 -24 16
Cronulla 19 392 458 -66 16
 
Canberra 19 383 465 -82 16
St.George 19 382 464 -82 16
Newcastle 19 325 472 -147 16
NZ Warriors 19 373 502 -129 12
Wests 19 412 564 -152 12
NQL Cowboys 19 358 584 -226 12
Brisbane 19 331 578 -247 10
Canterbury 19 242 600 -358 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 17
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 16 482 262 220 30 183.97 93.75
St.Helens 13 328 106 222 22 309.43 84.62
Warrington 15 456 247 209 23 184.62 76.67
Wigan 17 305 295 10 22 103.39 64.71
Hull FC 14 308 279 29 15 110.39 53.57
Leeds 16 380 290 90 16 131.03 50
 
Hull KR 12 287 267 20 12 107.49 50
Castleford 15 267 388 -121 12 68.81 40
Huddersfield 16 278 334 -56 10 83.23 31.25
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 14 218 558 -340 0 39.07 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 10 456 94 362 20 485.11 100
Featherstone 14 579 189 390 26 306.35 92.86
Halifax 15 422 220 202 22 191.82 73.33
LondonB 14 404 357 47 19 113.17 67.86
Batley 15 404 302 102 20 133.77 66.67
Bradford 14 375 339 36 18 110.62 64.29
 
Whitehaven 15 297 410 -113 13 72.44 43.33
Widnes 14 323 378 -55 11 85.45 39.29
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Newcastle 14 298 420 -122 11 70.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 14 215 401 -186 9 53.62 32.14
Oldham 14 210 500 -290 4 42 14.29
Swinton 15 256 547 -291 2 46.80 6.67
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 11 382 162 220 19 235.80 86.36
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 11 348 251 97 15 138.65 68.18
Crusaders 11 350 322 28 12 108.70 54.55
Keighley 12 410 279 131 13 146.95 54.17
Hunslet 12 334 301 33 11 110.96 45.83
 
Coventry 11 258 264 -6 10 97.73 45.45
Rochdale 11 299 322 -23 10 92.86 45.45
LondonS 12 192 350 -158 7 54.86 29.17
West Wales 12 126 586 -460 0 21.50 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X