Jan 29 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 09 21:091st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm  
XBrettKennyX wrote:
I agree there has to be some kind of regulation.

However, a simple Turnover cap (based on the PRECEEDING seasons Turnover) would help to ensure the survival of clubs. Frankly you can never 100% ensure their survival, but that's a seperate debate.
that idea is far too straght forward for the RFL, :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 20 08:2924th Dec 19 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Some very interesting points throughout.

But what are our thoughts on improving RL?

-Marketing?
-The on field game?
-Salary Cap?
-Development of youth players?
-Development in other parts of the UK?
-Overseas development?

Discuss!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 01 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jan 22 06:342nd Apr 16 12:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[url]//wiganrugbyleague.wordpress.com[/url]

Last Son of Wigan wrote:

-Marketing?
-The on field game?
-Salary Cap?
-Overseas development?

Discuss!

The RFL have at least put some foundations in place to help the game move forward, the main one being the franchises.

This will help develop youth players & eventually allow us to move outside the M62 corridor with a stronger player pool so new teams can have a credible line-up without being bashed for packing their sides with antipodeans but we need to lose our parochialism.

I think a lot of the flat-earthed philosophies come from the fact that people who follow Rugby League either feel that their team or other teams that have been around for many years and previously been successful are now being put to the sword for the sake of expansion and fail to grasp the bigger picture. I do emphathise with anybody who takes that position & I think the RFL need to avoid causing a schism within the game if it continues to expand.

Why spurn potential feeder clubs in the heartlands because they are not desirable? More money should be invested in the National Leagues to allow them to make improvements and bring through more youngsters and ease the pressure on the SL. This will improve the playing pool and potentially offer more quality talent for SL and International RL which in turn leads to a more competitive competition which can be marketed easier and attract a larger audience.

Another incentive is the larger the player pool the less problematic talent leaving the game becomes for RU as there will be adequate numbers to fill those lost positions - but I agree that the Salary Cap needs a massive overhaul for our game to progress in the near future.

Just as an aside, why does Union still operate a Salary Cap in this country if it has enough talent and money to be competitive and financially sound...or am I wrong in that assumption?
Hoofer 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member502No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Feb 12 17:154th Feb 12 20:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 pm  
Trying not to be negative, most of the development/improvement ideas have actually been tried, but in a half hearted way.

RL doesn't have a lot of money so it's difficult to expand without a long term slow burning plan.

I am also perturbed by RL in London. 28 years and spectator figures have plateaued for years. It's positive there are locals in the Quins squad but that's about it. The profile down here is nil. Like Robinson I meet lots of people who, when they hear I am from Wigan, start talking RL. Some have even heard of Stains! None have heard of Quins RL. There are lots of ex-pat northerners and Aussies here who don't go to watch RL in the capital, and I'm not sure why. I may be guilty of thread drift here but the condition of RL in London is an example of where RL fails.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 01 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jan 22 06:342nd Apr 16 12:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[url]//wiganrugbyleague.wordpress.com[/url]

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm  
Hoofer wrote:
Trying not to be negative, most of the development/improvement ideas have actually been tried, but in a half hearted way.

RL doesn't have a lot of money so it's difficult to expand without a long term slow burning plan.

I am also perturbed by RL in London. 28 years and spectator figures have plateaued for years. It's positive there are locals in the Quins squad but that's about it. The profile down here is nil. Like Robinson I meet lots of people who, when they hear I am from Wigan, start talking RL. Some have even heard of Stains! None have heard of Quins RL. There are lots of ex-pat northerners and Aussies here who don't go to watch RL in the capital, and I'm not sure why. I may be guilty of thread drift here but the condition of RL in London is an example of where RL fails.

London have been lucky to survive as they have done for me because they came about when the RFL knew nothing about expansion (Paris anybody?)

It's profile however has been hampered by the fact it has never established itself as one entity for very long. Fulham had about three years at Craven Cottage before turning into the nomads of RL for the next ten years.

Add to that name chages and further ground changes (The Valley, The Stoop, Griffin Park) just added to the problems. Harlequins RL will be unknown for the time being because everybody knows Harlequins as being the RU side - but hopefully a period of stability at the Twickenham Stoop for this side can allow them to find a fanbase that don't need to move around like Alan Whicker to follow them -- London has already done a lot to bring youngsters into the game so it is popular.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 13 19:401st Jan 13 01:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 pm  
interesting to see the governement throw its support behind the rfu's bid to host the union world cup in england in 2015.
not been so forthcoming in their support for the 2013 rugby league bid.
shame we haven't got anyone on the inside! where's andy burnham when you need him? ...oh wait :o

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/09/02/18/RUGBYU_RFU_Nightlead.html

:roll:
interesting to see the governement throw its support behind the rfu's bid to host the union world cup in england in 2015.
shame we haven't got anyone on the inside! where's andy burnham when you need him? ...oh wait :o

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/09/02/18/RUGBYU_RFU_Nightlead.html

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 19 21:058th Apr 19 15:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I've not come 'alfway round t'world fot watch us lose. And I've come halfway round t'world, an' av watched um lose"

Last Son of Wigan wrote:

-Marketing?
As mentioned in my previous posts about compelling clubs to make one press release a day.

I also don't see why the RFL must go after cash for sponsorship. Why can't they do 'deals in kind' so to speak. In other words, we will welcome Cadbury on board as sponsor of a competition, if they promote said competition on their chocolate wrappers.

The same could be applied to many, many products. Also, give tickets to celebrities for cup finals Harlequins and Celtic games. I'm sure the press would pick up on, say, Charlotte Church cheering on Celtic, wearing their colours.

-The on field game?
Slow it down a bit so it's less about 'run and collide'. Go back to 5 metre defences to encourage creativity and deep attack.

Competitive scrums - no pushing as this causes too many penalties, but the scrumhalf should be compelled to put the ball in straight, and the hookers should actually 'hook'

Allow striking at the play the ball. HAVING possession, shouldnt ENTITLE you to it

Five min sin bin for minor offences, 10 min sin bin for major ones, no sending off.

-Salary Cap?
There should be one, with a view to getting it abolished by 2020. Players under 20 should not count on the cap. Aussies count double. Aussies over 27 count treble. Concessions should be made to players brought through by the club and for loyalty to that club.

Not an area I know a great deal about. As a spectator, though, I'd like to see a return to the old days of skill, creativity and a 'defining point' in the individual's game being nurtured and encouraged, rather than coached out in favour of a set formula.

Is essential. Eventually, I'd like to see a team based in Cardiff or Swansea. The welsh love their rugby of either code, and I'd love to see a big massive rivalry down there. I'd say the same about London, but that will take longer to nurture - certainly as long as it takes for the kids playing the sport to become adults.

-Overseas development?
Long term. Lets get our core nations competitive first, and our sport in the general public eye first.
windy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1663No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 22 08:4123rd Jan 22 10:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Don't follow leaders, watch your parkin' meters'

Bob Dylan

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 pm  
Catalancs wrote:

Good point, I have heard numerous interviews with Andy Burnham on 5live and he has not mentioned RL once
Catalancs wrote:

Good point, I have heard numerous interviews with Andy Burnham on 5live and he has not mentioned RL once
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 13 19:401st Jan 13 01:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:36 pm  
windy wrote:

this is the same guy that before he got into the cabinet was shouting rugby league's praises from the rroftops... it's all gone quiet andy!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 19 21:058th Apr 19 15:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I've not come 'alfway round t'world fot watch us lose. And I've come halfway round t'world, an' av watched um lose"

: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 pm  
windy wrote:

Andy Burnham's from Leigh. What would he know about rugby league? ;-)
PreviousNext