JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Dec 22 10:3120th Dec 15 02:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”

“If you can accept losing, you can't win.”

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”

Vince Lombardi

Enough is enough : Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:07 am  
Ok, first off apologies for sounding all preachy (if that's a word) here, but!

I don't know about other people, but personally I am getting a bit sick of all the personal character assassination going on of various people at the club, players coaches admin etc. Most of it is either ill-informed, opinionated, reactionary or just out unjustified. It's happening every year now and wearing a bit thin.

Mathers was pilloried before playing a game, the poor lad can't do right for doing wrong and is obviously going to be this years Vaeliki, Calderwood, Moran, Brown, Hodgson et al, and the next one chased out by the fans who can't accept that we are not as dominant on the park as we were in the late 80's and 90's.

The very same people that are criticising the fact that there were 9 antipodeans in the team on sunday are the very ones that are calling for the head of the only brit in the back line to be replaced by whoever.

Now for whatever reason this may be the right call, but it is damn obvious that whoever gets the roll will be next in line, we've seen it happen with Brown and seen it happen with Goulding. As a group, I don't think there is a greater expectation from any other fans, nor are they as quick to turn. I've no doubt the same will happen to Sam Tomkins when he has his first ordinary game, and he will.

The booing of the team is no doubt been brewing for some time, against Hudds last year was probably deserved, but I fear that it will become the norm now, with peoples character questioned at every stage. I've seen the words 'coward' used to describe Mathers which I feel is wrong on many levels, anyone that pulls on a shirt to play a game is not a coward, things are not going right for the lad, they may infact never go right for him, but that is for him, the coach and the chairman to figure out, not for fans to be brutally slating him...

Same goes for Bailey, another who does a lot more than people give credit for, and probably 2/3 of the squad, is it any wonder that they too are losing patience with the crowd? I'm not saying its right, it isn't, but I can see how they would think like that.

Our problems are deeper rooted than the odd player, there is an issue with leadership imho, that we've had since Farrell left, and you can't easily just go out and buy a player that can resolve that.

Yes, lets criticise and discuss errors, tactics, selection based on true form, potential signings etc, but please lay off the personal stuff.
Donna 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner9982No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Aug 15 10:231st Aug 15 15:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Newsnight 13th May 2010: "With the role of Deputy Prime Minister a non-job. Has Nick Clegg gone from King Maker to tea maker????"

I kept the faith and I kept voting
Not for the iron fist but for the helping hand
For theirs is a land with a wall around it
And mine is a faith in my fellow man
Theirs is a land of hope and glory
Mine is the green field and the factory floor
Theirs are the skies all dark with bombers
And mine is the peace we knew
Between the wars

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:40 am  
:CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1157No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jul 18 23:254th Oct 14 13:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:57 am  
reasoned and well thought out comment like that won't go down well with a few people on here. As you say, it's one thing coming up with constructive criticism, but personal attacks on players contribute nothing. Neither does the spreading of vicious and often ill informed (at best) rumours.
ABP' 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17252No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 15 16:0019th Jun 14 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 am  
There is a fine line between those who just want to slate players and those who want to talk about their on field attributes in detail.

I do agree there people who become to personal in regards to players.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1453No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 15 15:284th Oct 14 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Deano G wrote:
We are Wigan. Nothing less than success is good enough.

&
Deano G wrote:
The rest of the British RL is looking on with fear as the mighty Wigan club rises again

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 am  
great post , couldnt agree more , although im still on a downer from sunday :?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years182nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:4123rd Mar 24 14:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:28 am  
Alex BP' wrote:
There is a fine line between those who just want to slate players and those who want to talk about their on field attributes in detail.

I do agree there people who become to personal in regards to players.

And with regard to people involved in the management of the club, and yes, they're often based on rumour, speculation or innate ill will.

But many negative comments on here are also centred on performances, tactics (or lack of them), team motivation (or lack of it) etc, and in that respect they are justified. I don't like negativity for the sake of it. I've said this many times and have had running battles with those I suspect (or in some cases know) are being negative about the club purely because they have personal axes to grind. But for those who support Brian Noble for example - or at least those who've supported him recently, last Sunday was yet another occasion when they must have felt badly let down. It wasn't just that Wigan lost, it was the manner of the defeat. It was that yet again a new season has started - and whereas everywhere else it's seen as a new dawn, at Wigan we seem to have gone back to the same old drawing board. Sunday was a catalogue of the type of schoolboy errors that bedevilled us so much at the start of last season. And it wasn't just ring-rustiness. There was no spirit, no enthusiasm, nobody was putting their body on the line. The final score actually flattered us IMO, and that was againt a team carrying half a dozen A-teamers.

Let's keep things in perspective. I don't like the personal attacks and arrogant smartarsery that seem to have characterised this board in the last few months, but guys like Brian Noble don't help themselves. Fans with our pedigree can't sit around indefinitely and voice no opinion when the team doesn't appear to be making any progress at all.[/i]
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach967No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Nov 11 11:5019th Nov 11 22:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 am  
Great post Memony .It sums up just what I and am sure plenty others have been thinking the last couple of days on here.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 am  
Cruncher wrote:
And with regard to people involved in the management of the club, and yes, they're often based on rumour, speculation or innate ill will.

But many negative comments on here are also centred on performances, tactics (or lack of them), team motivation (or lack of it) etc, and in that respect they are justified. I don't like negativity for the sake of it. I've said this many times and have had running battles with those I suspect (or in some cases know) are being negative about the club purely because they have personal axes to grind. But for those who support Brian Noble for example - or at least those who've supported him recently, last Sunday was yet another occasion when they must have felt badly let down. It wasn't just that Wigan lost, it was the manner of the defeat. It was that yet again a new season has started - and whereas everywhere else it's seen as a new dawn, at Wigan we seem to have gone back to the same old drawing board. Sunday was a catalogue of the type of schoolboy errors that bedevilled us so much at the start of last season. And it wasn't just ring-rustiness. There was no spirit, no enthusiasm, nobody was putting their body on the line. The final score actually flattered us IMO, and that was againt a team carrying half a dozen A-teamers.

Let's keep things in perspective. I don't like the personal attacks and arrogant smartarsery that seem to have characterised this board in the last few months, but guys like Brian Noble don't help themselves. Fans with our pedigree can't sit around indefinitely and voice no opinion when the team doesn't appear to be making any progress at all.[/i]

As many people know I am a strong supporter of Noble, and on Sunday, although I didn't go the radio commentary said it all for me and painted an all too familiar picture. I admit I felt badly let down and initially my reaction (in anger) was to want Noble out, I slated his tactics, team selections and questioned his coaching credentials, albeit I didn't post it up on here. But when the dust settled and I calmed down, I realised that personal insults towards Noble aren't justified, he picked a team that IMO should of beat Wakefield, whether Hock and Feka started or not, on paper we were more than capable of putting 30+ on them, however in reality it never turned out that way.

People have thier opinions on Mathers and I've voiced mine several times, although I have not and will not resort to personal insults, I do not think he is good enough. I hope he proves me wrong, I hope he proves everyone wrong, but as Memony said, he can't do right for doing wrong. If we want Mathers to actually play well, we need to get behind him.

What happened to the support for all the players in 2006? IMO all the team were worse than Mathers is now but we never once booed them, we cheered them, we got behind them and we came good. Is it not feasable to practice the same logic with Mathers? Or are some fans minds made up?

Either way, I for one surely know which approach to Mathers will help him.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3928No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 11 18:3323rd Jul 11 18:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
3 World Club Challenges
19 League Titles
17 Challenge Cup wins
ONE CLUB
WIGAN RLFC

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 am  
Cruncher wrote:

:CLAP: :CLAP:

The performances haven't been good enough and it's been that way now for a long time. I'm sorry if people with their head in the sand don't like it but serious questions need to be asked. How can anyone be happy with the shower of poop that was served up in Cherry and White on Sunday? It was just a continuation of the poor performances from the previous season.

How long can we continue to go on and blame players season after season David Vaileki, Milard, Withers and Fletcher then the season after it’s all Colbon’s, Calderwood and Highams fault and constantly say next season will be better when we’ve got rid of the dead wood. We’ve even started it this season with Mathers, Bailey and Phelps! When can we start to look at maybe it’s Noble who isn’t doing his job?

It's not a case of liking or disliking Noble but looking at and discussing why our team consistently underperforms for the majority of the season.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 04 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Mar 16 10:5619th Dec 15 17:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BANG THE DRUM.............BARMY ARMY

: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 am  
sorry......cant agree.

dont some players and management look on here??

so if they are underperforming and playing as bad as mathers did on sunday, would it be more helpful to him to say "you did ok, never mind"....or would it be better to say "mathers , you played crap"

turning a blind eye to bad play doesnt help anyone.

blunt, honest opinion does, although it may sound harsh and brutal, it helps in the long run.

ignoring the fact that certain players play crap week in week out is the best way to get em to carry on playing crap, as it leads them to believe the performances they are putting in are acceptable......when in fact , they arnt acceptable.
Next